Wk of Feb 19--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Amy - I really think you should be fine. You do aerobic stuff and it sounds like you have for several years. You have almost an entire year to train for it. Barring injury, i don't see why you couldn't do it! I think the WDW is the one to do b/c people do it at all speeds and you will likely be w/ a ton of people no matter what your speed. You could train w/ some walking and runnning and that way you can run what you can do and walk the rest. I'm sure they are overly cautious b/c a marathon is a long way to go and they figure you should be in at least reasonable shape b/4 starting (they are probably cautious b/c if people fail using their program, they won't buy or recommend more of their books!!) Don/t fret, you'll be find. Plus, if someone tells you otherwise, you can kickbox their booty across the room!

OK - i have to share this b/c it is sooooo cool. My husband was messing around on the us adv. racing assn. web page and found that our team (JUMP) is currently ranked 16th nationally. We won't be for long, we are just there b/c we placed in the race in nov. which was the 1st race after nationals and we got points for the ranking, but hey, i'll take it. that is soo cool to be nationally ranked. I'm going to print out the web page tomorrow to put in my racing scrapbook (i hope they don't update it b/4 then!!!!!!) :cool1: :cool1:

Morning Everyone,

I have to say I am disappointed that I didn't get to run with the group - but I did run on the TM.

TM Work:
5 min - 3.7
10 min - 5.7
5 min - 3.7
10 min- 5.7
5 min - 3.7
5 min - 5.7
5 min - 3.7
2 min - 5.7
cool down

It turned out that this is just a little over 3 miles - and according to the machine I ran/walked 12.30 min/mile.

Of course, I am going to try and join the group this coming Saturday but it depends on if I can get up that early. They leave promptly at 8:30 in the morning (pretty early for me on a Saturday).

Well, have to get ready for work - I really wish it was Friday already! What a week.

Have a great day everyone,

Jodi

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for a while- I won't even pretend that I have kept up with the board, it is so busy!

I have a quick question- what are cliff blocks? Is that the bars?

Thanks for the information!
Celeste

Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:
Whew, I'm feeling tired this morning. I think this cold and exercise is wiping me out, but I feel good that I'm continuing to exercise. I wouldn't have done that in previous attempts. You guys are keeping me motivated.

Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill at 15 mpm pace. I've been making sure I spend a lot of time stretching and doing some shin strengthening exercises after I walk. I do a bunch of toe lifts and then use an elastic strap at the gym, wrap it around a bar, put the handle on my foot, pull back and hold it as long as I can.

I did turn in my forms and registration fee for the "Learn to Run" program. I'm very excited about it, and am determined to complete it this year. It starts on March 22 with a reception that you are supposed to bring your support person - I'm going to get a babysitter and bring my DW. When I turned in the forms the owner of the shop, who remembered me from last time, told me to strengthen my leg muscles before I start. I said I'm working on it.

Have a good day everyone.

Amy- I started freaking out about that last year too. After I registered for the 1/2 I was seeing the same info-be running for a year at least. Well I pretty much went from couch to 1/2 in 4 months. I have never been very active & I did it. I know with as good a shape as you are in you should have no problem. Take it slow & work the program so you dont get injured. Do run/walk intervals. It is a (pretty) flat course & you have 7 hrs to finish if you need it. All that matters is that you cross the finish line. You have almost a whole year to train. GO FOR IT!! :cheer2:

Celeste-shot blocks are basically solid forms of the gu. They are in little squares kind of like very firm jello. I love them! They provide energy & taste good. I used them in the 1/2.

Jodi-awesome job! :cool1:

Dave-WTG! you are doing great keeping at this :thumbsup2 Your dedication is inspiring!

MelR-that is so cool to see your team ranked nationally! Even if it is just for a little while, it still counts. Oh-the field trip was fun. And it wasn't just 14, 4 y.o. it was actually 50 because all 4 classes came. We hade fun & luckily alot of parents showed up at Lowes to help us.

Nancy-I'm glad you made it back. Dont get too down on yourself, you've had a tough month. Just start back at it & dont worry about the past. Good luck with the DR pixiedust:

Christa-I agree with everyone else- you will be kicking booty at that tri

Can you guys believe 10 weeks from tomorrow I will be leaving for the Minnie :cool1:

Mel and Tiff.....THANK YOU :grouphug: for that reassurance. I started to freak a bit....but I think it had to do with two tough workout days that didn't go as well as I'd like. I was feeling tired and let what I read get to me. This morning I read Non-Runners Marathon and they say it CAN be done with pre-training up to 3 Miles which is what I'm doing right now :thumbsup2 so I think I'm on track :goodvibes . Thanks again....this WISH board is so important to me!!!

Mel....CONGRATS on your racing team!!! :banana: That is VERY cool!!!

Dave: Sounds like you're getting back into it :thumbsup2 . Here's some PD that your shins continue to feel good pixiedust:

Jodi: Sounds like you had a great TM run! Way to go!!! It'll be so nice when you get to run with the group....I'm thinking of contacting a local group here in my town. I'm just nervous b/c I'm such a newbie. Thought I'd wait until I was up 5 miles :teeth: , maybe I should get in touch with them now and see what they think.

MelR -- That national ranking is awesome! Bask in that glory, sweetie! I hope you got to print out the webpage. If, for any reason, it isn't there, send the webmaster of that site asking for a link to the archived page. They usually archive "captured" pages on stuff like that. Congratulations, sweetie! :goodvibes: :cool1:

Jodi --Your TM times are great. Do you find that the 3.7 is a little too slow for your intervals? Once I have jogged one or two times, I find that I could bump up my walk speed about .2 and not be wearing myself out. I don't run anywhere near as long or as fast as you, though, so closing that interval between the speeds isn't as hard for me to do. Keep up the great work!

Helen -- Thanks for the lesson on fartlekking. What a riot! I am going to have to find a way to use that word in a sentence, especially around DS12 -- he will be rolling on the floor and then dying for the opportunity to use the word among his classmates. Since he is a runner, it shouldn't be too hard for him to do. :o)

Dave -- that learn to run program sounds great. I am so glad your wife is so supportive. You should make an outing of the first event since you'll have a babysitter. Go out and celebrate your commitment to a healthier lifestyle. I know having Howard so into this running thing is a big help for me. Of course, he is light years ahead of me, so we don't run "together" or anything like that. But we do try to be in the same place at the same time -- on Saturday a.m.s we usually head to the cinder track at the state park where he can run and I can wog. It feels really good just to be there together. We are often at the Y fitness center together too, though not doing any of the same stuff. Have fun!

Amy -- You are going to do so fine! Don't worry about it at all. I started walking very short distances on the TM last January after heart surgery (after 10 forced sedentary years!) and didn't start training for the 1/2 until October and still finished it within the required time. Training to train is even more important than training, I think. It is where you get your mindset into the commitment and get your body conditioned to take on the challenge of really training for an event. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep the enthusiasm and commitment on track and you will be more than fine! :hug:

Tiff -- You are so amazing! I can't believe how much you do! I am really psyched to see you at the Minnie weekend. Rhonda (akasleepingbeauty) and I can't wait to see everyone!

Last night I did a quick warmup on the TM before my yoga/pilates mat class. Since I didn't have much time, I did a mile at a relaxed pace at 2%. Ended up taking 15:17 to finish a mile, but I may have been too distracted by the latest issue of People (I never read "junk magazines" :) ) to pick up the pace a bit. Was glad to finish the mile and then spend a satisfying hour in the class. The yoga/pilates is definitely getting easier for me -- I think the weight lifting is strengthening my arms for the poses or postures or whatever they are called (thanks, Sunny!).

Looking forward to a LW on Saturday a.m. but I really have to get on a pre-training schedule and stick to it rather than just squeezing in trips to the gym whenever possible.

After everyone's words of encouragement, I talked to DH. He said that he really wants to do the marathon with me. He wants to be next to me to encourage me. He promises to not try to push me to go faster than I want. He said he would carry all my stuff for me so that I would not have to carry anything (like what Ron has done for Christa & Bree before). He would carry the camera and takes lots of pictures. I am really excited about it. Thank you Carrie for helping me see that my DH's true intention was to put me on a pedastal and share such a great experience with me. :goodvibes

DH thinks he will go for the Goofy medal. He will do the 1/2 at his pace and then do the marathon with me at my pace. I am still contemplating going for the Goofy also, but I will probably wait until June or July to decide. I need to focus on my upcoming looonnnnnggg bike ride to Austin in April.

It is supposed to rain again this weekend. Aaaah! I need to get outside to ride my bike on the open road. The stationary bike is just not the same. If it rains, I will probably just ride the trail in my neighborhood on my mountain bike. It's not the rain that I am afraid of; I don't care about getting wet. I just worry about wiping out on the wet roads on my road bike and damaging my bike (oh, and hurting myself too). I just feel more stable on the mountain bike. I think I have a plan. :moped:

We leave for WDW in 9 days, and I have not even started packing. Eek! :eek: I better start (and finish) packing this weekend. I'm off to check out the 10 day forecast for Orlando.

Hi everyone,

I only have a minute but I got my MRI report back and wanted to post an update since all of you have been so supportive.

The results found a disk bulge between L4-L5 which is slighly compressing on the nerve. I was supposed to go in today to have a cortizone injection but had to reschedule it as I have what is now suspected as kidney stones :scared:

Cam - Am I mistaken or didn't Howard have Kidney Stones before the marathon weekend????

I have to go in for a CT scan on Friday to determine the exact problem :eek:

Work is crazy and I've spend the last couple evenings in the ER so I have to get as much done as possible so I've got to go.

I've missed the last several days of posts but will try to catch up later. I hope everyone is doing great. :grouphug:

::MinnieMo

Minnie said:
Cam - Am I mistaken or didn't Howard have Kidney Stones before the marathon weekend????

Oh, Minnie, first of all, I am glad they are figuring out what is causing your hip pain. I hope that a definitive diagnosis allows for quick, effective treatment. Sending pixiedust: your way! And, yes, Howard did have a kidney stone. A HUGE one (gumball size) that had to be blasted. He had severe pain because it blocked the kidney opening to the ureter, effectively shutting down kidney function on the left side. I hope yours isn't that big or bad and you can get prompt relief. Drink lots and lots of water!

Amy - I didn't weigh in on this because I was tired this morning and also because I am so new to this too, but I certainly don't have a year of training under my belt and I am shooting for the marathon. Based on my previous reading and running experience, I think we can do it if we take the training slow and steady. I remember in the Galloway book they had a plan to take you from the couch to running a marathon on only 3 days of training/week in 12 weeks. I think we can do it, and we have plenty of time to get ourselves in shape. Right now I'm looking at my walks as getting me in shape for my 12 week learn to run program. If I can make it through that program, in June I will have gradually built up to 30 mins of running. I think they may have an AP (advanced placement) learn to run program that runs 12 weeks starting in June that will allow me to stretch my running distance. That gets me to September, and plenty of time to start a 12 week program for the marathon in January.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. Although right now I'm just taking it one day at a time, and proud of myself that I've now had 4 straight weeks of exercising. That's a lot for me at this stage of the game.

Cam and Dave: THANK you so much. I really needed a dose of reality :teeth: . Dave, your plan sounds really solid :thumbsup2 . I'm basically following Galloway's 5K training plan right now which will get me, hopefully, run/walking 4 miles by the end of April. From there I'm going to try to train for a half and run/walk that in the fall. I think that will build my base slowly and safely which is most important :). You guys are soooo great!!! :hug:

Spent the morning catching up, so much going on with everyone.

TnTsParty, MouseDogMom, Celeste - Welcome, this has been a great place to gather info and come for help on all sorts of things you will love it. Hop eto see all of you at an event soon.

Carrie - I did do measurements and you are right things are tightening up.

Mel - Congrats to Phil, that is awesome.

Judy - I am sure with your love & paitience Mist will do great. We had the same trouble with a dog we took in, he suffered terrible abuse, it took almost a year but now he is the most loving dog ever.

Terri - Another for the DL 1/2, YEAH!!!

Cam - That is great on your guys SATs. I remember when my son was getting ready for school, he wasn't gone and it felt empty somehow.

Minnie - I hope it all comes together

Amy - I decided to do the 1/2 in Jan 05, hadn't run or worked out in 20yrs, I was 100lbs overweight. So if I can go from that to finishing with a 15:02 pace anyone can.

Finally able to get back to it yesterday. No real pain just lots of muscle fatigue but mostly in my left calf, it eventually worked itself out so I am a very happy wogger right now. I did 45 minutes of 2/1, just didn't want to push it too much. I think I will keep it there for the rest of this week and maybe try to do 3/2 next week.

My son is doing the DL 1/2 with me and just informed me he may do the Goofy too. He said he would stay with me but I would be so slow compared to a 21yo it would be laughable. Would they let him finish then come back and find me? I would love to cross the line with him, it would be unreal.

Anybody here every done the Avon Breast Walk? I am thinking about it but the fundraising seems a bit daunting. 2400.00 is alot to raise, anyone done it?

OK, I'm waiting for an e-mail reply to do what I need to do on my lab computer. :bored: I figure that gives me a chance to post.

Just a warning - :offtopic:
So here's an update on my NIH grant. I told you all that I received a good score, but that it's unlikely to be funded. I spoke with my contact at NIH who sat in on the review committee and she gave me a lot of positive feedback. She said the review committee really liked the ideas in the grant which is why they gave it a good score. They were concerned about one technical aspect of what I was proposing which is why it probably will not be funded. She said there is a very small chance, 10% or less, that my grant will be funded. But here's the good news, I can revise the grant, address the concerns of the review committee, and resubmit it without having to start all over. This is a change for the type of grant I wrote. Originally they limited the number of resubmissions to 1 (which I was on). Now they say you can revise and resubmit the grant twice - yahoo for me! After that, they say the grant has changed too much and should be considered a new proposal. But if I can address all the reviewers comments, then there may be a good chance the grant will be funded on the NEXT go around. So here's looking at a July 1st deadline for my revised grant.

Second :offtopic: subject:
Christa have a great trip when you travel to Amman, Jordan. Too bad you will miss the Dead Sea Marathon, but maybe it's for the best anyhow. You've run marathons before, and this way you can really experience all the different culture has to offer. I had a chance about 3 years ago for my DW and I to travel to Doha, Qatar for work. It was an amazing experience highlighted by swimming in the Persian Gulf. It totally changed my attitude towards the Middle East. Up until then when I heard of the Persian Gulf it raised certain images (oil tankers, aircraft carriers, etc.) in my mind, but it never occured to me that it is also an ocean with a beach that some people vacation and recreate on. It was an amazing experience. The water was so warm and salty that you could float with no effort at all. In fact, trying to go underwater and touch bottom was the big effort. You'll have an amazing experience. Be sure to post about it so we can live vicariously through you.

Good morning everyone! :wave:

This morning I did 45 min @ 3.7 @ 1% with ten of those at 2% then ten at 4.0 @ 1%. Holy cow! Walking at 4 was really energizing! :hyper:

And may I just say, I finished Roman Holiday while working out and now I have a huge crush on Gregory Peck. :cloud9:

Cam - Awwwww, thank you so much! I loved our wedding and we had a great time. I certainly hope we hook up for something, dinner, hot tub, breakfast, when we are there in '07. My goodness, you are the one that got me started on this! :thumbsup2

Jodi - Sorry you missed your group last night. Work has an annoying way of interfering with training, doesn't it??? :headache:

Nancy - I'm glad your home. Don't worry too much, you'll get back into the swing of things. :goodvibes

Celeste - Ohh I'm glad to see you again! I hope all is well. :)

Dave - That is great that you've joined LTR. I wish we had something like that around here. I can't find any walkers groups. I did however find two sports stores in the next town over so I'm going to stop in there this weekend and see if they know of something. :scratchin

Minnie - Oh at least you have an answer! :banana: Now, how to deal with it.... OK I'm so glad you've got an answer. Good. Now, let's fix it. :goodvibes

MickeySP - Thanks for your words of encouragement. We are taking things one day at a time. :goodvibes

Judy

Judy - if you now have a huge crush on Gregory Peck have you seen "To Kill a Mockingbird"? My DW absolutely loves Gregory Peck in that film.

Mouse Skywalker said:
Judy - if you now have a huge crush on Gregory Peck have you seen "To Kill a Mockingbird"? My DW absolutely loves Gregory Peck in that film.

No, not yet. This is actually the first movie I've ever seen him in. But I can tell you it won't be the last! I actually went over my 45 min on the TM this morning watching the end of that movie. :blush:

:moped: Honeibee going to get TKAM....

Judy

Judy - "To Kill a Mockingbird" is just a really good film, and should be good for extra treadmill walking. Gregory Peck won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for the film. He's also really good in "The Boys from Brazil".

AmyBeth68 said:
pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: Here's triple the pixie dust for you!!!! Good luck with your ortho appt.

I'm starting to freak out now.....I read my books tonight and checked out a BUNCH of websites. Everything I'm reading says I should be running at least a full year at least 3 times per week before starting a marathon training. Have I jumped the gun? Should I not run the WDW marathon in 07??? For some reason I never saw this when I was making my early decision about taking on the challenge, now I seem to read it everywhere :(. It's really bumming me out! I'd love to hear from you guys....were you all runners/walkers for a long while before you started to train for your races? I have been active and in decent shape for many years....but not a regular runner. This is starting to worry me. :(
Amy - DH ran his 1st marathon in 2005. He started training in August and ran WDW in Jan. I think you will be OK.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement about DD. She is somewhat better now and I got to swim a little over a mile today.
Christa have a great trip when you travel to Amman, Jordan. Too bad you will miss the Dead Sea Marathon, but maybe it's for the best anyhow. You've run marathons before, and this way you can really experience all the different culture has to offer. I had a chance about 3 years ago for my DW and I to travel to Doha, Qatar for work. It was an amazing experience highlighted by swimming in the Persian Gulf. It totally changed my attitude towards the Middle East. Up until then when I heard of the Persian Gulf it raised certain images (oil tankers, aircraft carriers, etc.) in my mind, but it never occured to me that it is also an ocean with a beach that some people vacation and recreate on. It was an amazing experience. The water was so warm and salty that you could float with no effort at all. In fact, trying to go underwater and touch bottom was the big effort. You'll have an amazing experience. Be sure to post about it so we can live vicariously through you
Dave - Thanks. I love the Middle East and the people there. I have been once and DH travels there every year. I get to go with him this year. We will be swimming (or floating) in the Dead Sea and doing some real neat things.

Minnie - pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: To you! You have had such a hard time! So sorry!

Melissa - YOU ARE DA WOMAN! :cool1: 16th place! WOW! :thumbsup2

Congrats to all the people who have had the courage to start this journey. And a big :thumbsup2 to everyone who has been able to keep putting in those steps. Don't freak out! Enjoy the journey to your 1st, 2nd or whatever # of 1/2, full, Goofy, or whatever you are training for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter