Wk of Apr 9--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

MouseDogMom said:
I need some advice. After my 1 mile Monday, the leg hurt really bad. Tuesday it hurt worse. Today it feels almost normal. I gave it a week off last week before trying to run Monday. There are 3 weeks (plus a couple of days) till the Minnie 5k. Should I let it rest for a couple of weeks and risk going to the Minnie without really having run any distance, or try to run again in the next week to get some miles in and risk really hurting it?

What is your injury?

Have you had it looked at by a doctor?

What has your distance history been?

(sorry--I've ducked out for a long time so gotta get brought up to speed).

If after a week off--it is still hurting you--and you haven't gotten it checked out, you need to get it checked. (But I don't know what it is--so this is a generic response).

I would take 3 days off--and try again. The MOMENT it starts hurting---walk.

Then do not attempt to run again until race day.

If walking doesn't hurt--I would simply on a very relaxed schedule--walk your training sessions.

I don't know your training history or the ailment, so these are pretty generic responses.

But basically--if it hurts--rest.

And if you have to walk the event--do so. Sometimes forcing through an injury unnecessarily not only makes it worse, but it can make you unable to do the sport for good.

ETA: 2005 marathon--I had to take 3 weeks off at the end of training b/c I injured my sacrum (lower back above tail bone). My coach told me it is the cumulative training that matters...not the final days. Of course that is a much longer training schedule (18-20 weeks). So that was about 1/6th or so of training at the end. Just to give you an idea.

Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

Thanks for the good wishes on my shins. I know it's small potatoes to some of the things people are going through around here, but it's kind of got me down. I did 30 min on the elliptical yesterday, lots of stretching afterwards and trying to strengthen my shins with elastic bands.

I was reading the description of shins spints on Cool Running, and the posterior shin spints describes my situation pretty well. Here's their description.

Posterior Shin Splints

Description:
Pain on the inner side of your leg, right where the calf muscle meets the big shin bone. If the pain is severe, you may have strained this area enough to cause a stress fracture in the tibia. If this is the case you should see a doctor immediately.

Likely causes:
You've strained a muscle that gives some support to the arch of your foot (the muscle runs from the shin bone around the ankle and attaches behind the ball of the foot). You probably have flat feet.

Then I looked at the description of flat feet and found this which also describes me pretty well.
Symptoms might include tired, sore feet (particularly on the bottom); lower back pain; pain in the arch; or tired legs.

I made an appointment with an orthopaedist/sports medicine physician for next week. I'll be curious to hear what he has to say. It's really frustrating. I've taken my training very slowly, I stretch religiously after running, do exercises to strengthen my shins, and do yoga once a week too. Some of my friends just say "well, you're getting old, you can't run, better find something else to do." But I don't wanna do something else. I want to run. I like to run. I want to run races. I want to run the WDW Marathon.

Thanks for listening to my vent. All my best to everyone on the TEAM.

Terri-thanks for the advise. I had forgotten about sodium. I've already been telling mom & best friend coming with me that we have to hydrate a couple of days before race & eat bannanas for our electrolytes now I'll add sodium intake too. Hmm, I guess that means going to the mexican restaurant & eating a bowl full of salty chips with cheese dip :teeth: Good luck with the car situation.

Minnie-congrats on booking your trip! I know you are thrilled. We have been a couple of times & the F&G show is really pretty.

MDM-I havent been at this long enough to offer any real advise. Except dont push yourself too hard & get hurt worse :wizard: Congrats on DD soccer :cheer2:

MelR-have fun with EC. You guys amaze me with all that you do

Today is xt so I'm not sure if I'm swimming or doing WATP tape. Tomorrow kids are out of school so best friend & I are taking our kids to Chattanooga & going to the aquarium. I haven't been in along time so it should be a fun day trip. DH gets to go on an overnight golf trip. I can't begrudge him that when I have Minnie weekend right around the corner, he just has to be home in time for "Easter eve".

Dave - Sorry about the shin frustration. Don't throw in the towell. Maybe you need different shoes for running and for everyday use. I will tell you that I go through periods of "injury" What I mean by that is, sometimes, my right ankle hurts for weeks in the same spot, sometimes it is the insided of my right knee. For about 50 days it was my left buttock. Right now it is my right ankle and right arch (They will usually last for weeks during periods of intense training) They usually stop when I taper for a race, but then when i get cranking again, it's someplace new. Don't know if that helps at all, but i thought i would tell you about it.

Tiff - the aquarium sounds fun! The boy always loves that. We have to drive so far to get to one that we generally only go on vacation.

Good morning everyone!!! :sunny: Hines and I did our 4 miles last night, we were a pinch slower doing it in 55 minutes. I could tell Hines was walking a little slower, I couldn't tell if it was the weather (it was about 15 degree warmer yesterday) or if the back to back runs are starting to wear on him. I may give him a break and only do 3 miles tonight. :teeth:

Melissa--Do you ever stop? Just reading everything that you do makes me tired!!!

Dave--Sorry about the shin pain, I definitely think it's more than regular shin splints. :wizard: for a quick recovery!!

Sunny--600 pounds?!?!? :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: Wow!!! You are officially the woman!!!!

Jackie--Sorry about your foot! Trust me I know how you feel!! I think you should go ahead and walk the 5K, you'll find that once you start walk training, it's really quite nice. I definitely want to get back to running too and I'm anxious for my knee to heal itself, but I've found that training to walk a half marathon really isn't so bad. The only bad part is that I'm eating like I'm still running, but not I'm not burning as many calories!! :blush:

Minnie-- :cheer2: :cheer2: Yay!!! I'm still crossing my fingers for our May trip. Delta is supposed to decide on Tuesday if they are striking or not.

Terri-- :hug:

Well, I think I'm going to head back to looking for more 5K's and 10K's this summer. My goal after the Flying Pig and before marathon training is to get a really good 5K time. Talk to you all later!!

Last night after my out of town meeting, I stopped at running shoe store (shoes only) and had them check out my feet. I got new shoes... Asics Nimbus. Anyone have these. Oh they feel heavenly. I can't wait to try them out, hopefully tonight. I was wearing Nikes, but they didn't have much cushion and I have high arches. My feet are kind of cruddy!

Work has not been very good for me emotionally... it is draining me because of issues. I am suffering from headaches and exhaustion (most likely caused by some depression). I just hate it. And I haven't been out to running for a couple of days because I have no time. Maybe my new shoes will make me fly... Oh and hubby gasped at the price, but I gotta do what I gotta do to make this running thing a success!

Hello everyone, just wanted to pop in and say Hello!! It's so funny, with everything we have had to deal with lately, I looked at DH the other day and told him that I was afraid to even tell anyone about our latest development. I told him no one would believe that we could have such bad luck!! So I decided to wait until everything was ok, before telling you guys.

I already told everyone that we went to Solantic on Saturday because DH and I were feeling so bad. While we were there they took x-rays and gave us a bunch of medicine. I thought that was pretty much it. Here take your medicine have a wonderful life!! Not even close. So Monday I get a phone call from the doctor at Solantic. Obviously the radiologist has looked at the x-rays since we left on Saturday and sees something wrong with mine. The Radiologist see something that looks like a "density" in my left lung, and they want me to come back in for another x-ray just to make sure it isn't a shadow of some kind.

So I have my Mom watch the kids and go in for another x-ray. When they are done taking the x-ray the doctor (NOT the Radiologist) looks at the x-ray and tells me that it is definately not a shadow and that I need to go see my regular doctor because she can't tell if this "mass" is in my breast tissue or my lungs. I leave there and immediately call my doctor and set up an appt for 2pm the next day (the earliest they could see me), and smoke my last cigarette (last as in I don't want anymore, not in I don't have anymore). I keep trying to tell myself that everything is gonna be fine, but I have to admit I was still a bit scared.

Anyway, the next day I go to the dr. appt and talk to him. Slantic sent me with a disc that they had put the x-rays on and a report about the fist x-ray. My doc couldn't pull up the x-rays on his computer and really needed the report for the second x-rays in order to know anything. So, he said they would call Solantic and talk to them and call me when they knew anything. When the finally do call me, it turns out that when the Radiologist looked at the second x-ray that everything was perfectly normal. So, all of my worry and freakin' out was over nothing.

Some good things came from it though. I haven't had a cigarette since Monday, so this is what?! 4 whole days without a cigarette. :cheer2: I have also realized that there are absolutely no pictures of me whatsoever. I am always the one taking the pictures. That is something that is gonna have to be remedied. If anything ever happens to me I want to know that there will be pictures to remind my kids of me (especially the baby).

I still haven't run. Although I am feeling much better I am gonna wait until Monday!! It's hard when you are sick to keep yourself from going out there and pushing too hard. All you wanna do is feel better, and when you aren't excersizing at all you feel like crap. I am gonna make myself wait though just to be sure!! Thanks everyone for all of your well wishes!! Goodness knows I have been needing them!!

Take care everyone, I'll talk to you all later!!

Dana

Minnie said:
WE ARE BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to WDW for the Flower & Garden Show!!!!!!!!!!

We leave one month from tomorrow. Our date are May 13 - May 15th.

I booked the Pop because it was about all that was left except for suites at an AP rate.

We go back in July for a week for a stay at the BC/WL :banana:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :sunny: :) :teeth: :banana:

Cool we will be there same time!! I am actually thinking about reserving at the Pop for the night of the 14th but don't have it reserved yet (better get to that soon!!) I didn't end up getting AP rate at WL but got FL resident rate (a little higher ($10 more total for the 2 nights but that is better than rack rate!!) I am so excited I can't wait. We are also planning on going back for Food & Wine Festival in Oct (actually for the Race for the Taste 10k)

Dana - sorry that you have had so much going on. I'm glad that your second set of tests turned out well. I hop that you are able to recover and increase your activity to the level you want. Congrats on the stopping smoking!!

Krista - Hines will thank you for the exercise later (ha, ha, not really) I'm sure he really enjoys all the good sniffing he gets done on his walks though!

Today we mountain biked 16 miles of single track trails. It took about 2:42. It was a pretty good workout. Good for upper body. I didn't really get that aerobically tired, but i did work on mt. biking technique. Of course, i fell twice. EC fell once, but she didn't bleed! I did. The crummy thing aobut falling for me, besides the obvious, is that I always fall on the right side and hit my rear derailler. Why can't i crash on a cheap part of my bike??

Dana - I'm so glad things weren't as you feared. Congrats on your 4 days w/o a cigarette. Keep it up! :thumbsup2

I got about 45 minutes of workout time in this morning and hope to do another session tonight.

Terri

Dana-great job with four days! Those four days will become even more before you know it.

I haven't fallen off of the face of the earth--I promise! I've just been really busy and away from internet (and cell phone) connections. I had a super awesome run while I was on retreat (there were HILLS!--I about died)! And today I went on a 14 miler--whew! Tomorrow is a rest day, then Saturday is Crescent City Connection. I'm so psyched! (yes I just used the word "psyched" mwahahahaha!). Anywho, I still need to read back over the last week (or two?). *skips off*

Just doing a quick post before I finish my homework & go to bed- I booked a room at the Contemporary for Marathon weekend- hopefully I won't be tempted to run into the hotel & not finish...LOL.

Kidding aside, I plan on having my husband & son watch as I run by and watch my husband run by when he does the full the next day!

Krista – When is your trip planned for. :wizard: on the flight situation.

TnTsParty – We love the WL. We will be staying there as part of our split trip with the BC in July. I am sure you will have a wonderful stay. Be sure to pat Humphrey’s nose!

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post here - no work out tonight.....another rest night, I'm hoping to get out and run tomorrow directly after work.

Tonight was weigh in at Weight Watchers - I weighed in at 120.6, which for me was a very good thing but when it was found out at the meeting everyone told me that I was getting too skinny.....my ultimate goal was to have a weight of 110 or 115 probably closer to 115 but now the leader at Weight Watchers doesn't want me to lose anymore. What am I going to do? :confused3 Next week, since I've maintained my weight for 6 weeks I will be getting my Lifetime member stuff :thumbsup2 - just a little nervous about it though.....these people are afraid that I'm becoming too skinny.

I've been down at 110 before and I didn't look too skinny - and that is when I felt my best - so my question is can they throw you out for losing more weight than they would like? Does anyone know? Keep in mind.....I am only 5 ''1".

Just a little bit bummed after the meeting :guilty:

Gotta run,

Jodi

jodistar said:
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post here - no work out tonight.....another rest night, I'm hoping to get out and run tomorrow directly after work.

Tonight was weigh in at Weight Watchers - I weighed in at 120.6, which for me was a very good thing but when it was found out at the meeting everyone told me that I was getting too skinny.....my ultimate goal was to have a weight of 110 or 115 probably closer to 115 but now the leader at Weight Watchers doesn't want me to lose anymore. What am I going to do? :confused3 Next week, since I've maintained my weight for 6 weeks I will be getting my Lifetime member stuff :thumbsup2 - just a little nervous about it though.....these people are afraid that I'm becoming too skinny.

I've been down at 110 before and I didn't look too skinny - and that is when I felt my best - so my question is can they throw you out for losing more weight than they would like? Does anyone know? Keep in mind.....I am only 5 ''1".

Gotta run,

Jodi

If you are 5'1- 115 is probably not too thin. I was looking at some charts which refernce not only BMI, but belly fat, and some others, I who am 5'5" should probably weigh close to 115.

Jodi - I don't know anything about ww but I don't think your goals are out of line. At 5'1 your weight goals will be lower than most other people. I'm 5'4 and before I gained my weight back I was down around 120 and it was very comfortable to me. Many people said I was too skinny but you have to comfortable with your self. Oh to be 120 again :rolleyes:

I didn't expect to get any exercise in today but I ended up and went for a fast paced walk with two ladies at work during lunch and was still amazed at how much I have lost in my abilities. It was good to just put some steps in but still.... My back/hip was sore afterward but since we walked on concrete the entire time I was sort of expecting it. Darn back disks anyways....

Oh well I'm only 30 days from Disney :banana:

jodistar said:
Hi Everyone,

Gotta run,

Jodi

Oh--I'm sorry you are bummed.

YOu may try toning up---or considering raising your goals.

Check your BMI to make sure your body fat % is in the proper levels.

For some reason--when I hit 130 people think I am too skinny. In fact--my mom once thought I was anorexic :confused3 . My weight range can go down to 119. So I don't get it.

However--I am medium boned--especially in the hip area--and even though i may be overweight--my upper body looks completely normal.

So just check BMI and make sure that is at a healthy level and then don't worry about it.

Just checked for your height on a non-WW site and this is what they had to say:

According to your height of 5' 1" your ideal healthy weight is 105 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 105 and 132 pounds.

I'm not sure where you started--but on a small frame--a small amount can seem like a lot and could be skewing their observation.

Thanks Celeste, Minnie, Lisa Loves Pooh - It makes me feel better that I'm not totally crazy. Last night, everytime I went to say well maybe it is because of my training that I look even thinner but I've been within my points everyday, I kept on getting interrupted by the leader.

But then again - Weight Watchers asked why I was even there to begin with (and I started at 140 - overweight for my frame). :confused3

Thanks everyone for letting me vent :goodvibes

Jodi

jodistar, first off, GREAT JOB on the weight loss and maintaining it! :thumbsup2 As was already posted you are well within your suggested weight when using BMI and American Heart Association standards even at the 110 to 115 weight range. In my opinion, there might be a bit of concern at your WW group that others may feel intimidated by your success and are trying to make themselves feel better by convincing you your "too skinny." Just my opinion but taken from years of observation and comments that I have received about not looking "healthy" when in peak training mode. Again, GREAT JOB and keep up the effort!

OK, now to my training, if the Garmin is even close to accurate, I now understand why I always suffer on my runs at lunch time. I went out yesterday and did my normal 4.2 mile loop (confirmed by Garmin) in 29:56 or 7:11 per mile. The course is very open with almost no tree or building coverage so losing the signal should not be an issue. Are these things accurate and am I actually running faster than I thought I have been?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter