Wk of Apr 9--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Hi guys. I can't believe it's only the 11th, and this thread is on page 5 already! Wow, time flies!

I ran on Sunday at the park. I made it four laps (which equals 2 miles) in 23 minutes. The watch I was using wasn't digital, so I couldn't really see it well while running to do my 3 run/1 walk. So I ran a lot longer. It appeared I ran anywhere from 6-8 minutes, then walked a minute or two. I felt really good.

I ran today at lunch through the woods at work. It was a much harder run, for some reason. I stuck with 3/1 and went 25 minutes, but my breathing was really labored.

It was a GORGEOUS day in NJ...70-ish and sunny. I think I'm almost not used to running in the warmer weather. I don't know if that's why it was rough, or what...but not my best run.

I'm hoping to run again Thursday before work (I meet with my nutritionist at lunch on Thursdays) and then Saturday at the park.

Hope you're all having a great week! I haven't read all of the pages yet, but I will tomorrow. :wave2:

jodistar said:
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let you know that I did end up going running tonight....I ran 5 miles in 54.10 - that's (according to Garmin) 10.47 min/mile.

Well, gotta go.....I will check in on all of you in the morning!

Jodi

AWESOME!

Hey everyone!

I have a request--I'd like to clean up the FAQ--if anyone is interested in some cutting/pasting/editing exercises--please let me know.

I want to clean it up so that it is easier to read. Basically post links in the FAQ while posting sections into their own thread for reference. I've seen this on other boards.

So anyone interested?

PM me.

Thanks!

Morning Everyone,

Wow yesterday should was a busy day on the boards. :teeth:

I went out tonight and tried to run. I planned to keep it simple, just to see how the tendon/calf/leg felt. Did a mile, mostly in 2/1 splits - walk 2 min, run 1 min. Wish I could say it felt good, but it hurt like ----. Back on ice now, hope it feels better in the morning. At least I listened to my body - my head wanted to keep going, especially since it's been a week since I've run, but I did the right thing and stopped after a mile. I will do the Minnie, I will do the Minnie...

Jackie I hope things improve for you. :wizard:

Liz I am so glad that you like the new job. Also, glad to hear that things improved for your father.

Jodi--I am so excited for the full, but nervous too, I just don't know how in the world I'm going to run 26.2 miles. But I thought that when I signed up for the half last year and I think I did just fine. I'm not doing Goofy and I'm not an expert, but my husband is doing Goofy next year, so we talk about a lot of training programs and most of the training programs for ultra marathons (because you won't find a program for Goofy) calls for back to back long runs. Stephen is using Hal Higdon's intermediate marathon program that incorporates back to back long runs, for example on Saturday he would 7 miles and on Sunday he would do 14, etc to get used to doing the half and then the full.
Krista I might just have to pick your brain every once in a while with the whole training thing. I'm a little nervous about the Goofy but really excited at the same time. What exactly are ultra marathons? I just dug my MfM book again.....I had been following the training plan in The Non-Runners Marathon Guide and while I do like it and have been feeling good with it......some of the runs during the week aren't really realistic.

Cam Hope your feeling better today - it's weird how something as little as running shoes makes all of the difference. Glad you were able to find your old shoes online.

Jodi - I am sure you will do well in your 1st 5k. I was nervous before mine but that was mainly because I didn't know what to expect. It was fun. Once you get through your 1st I am sure there will be no stopping you because that is how I am feeling right now) Have fun amd enjoy the experience of getting your first offical time!!
Thanks Tricia....I am going to try and post pictures here after my first 5k (ended up getting a new digital camera yesterday).

This Saturday is my next training session.....I'm so excited! I actually look forward to the torture. :teeth: Well, today I hope to do some Pilates, depending how tired I am once the workday is done.....The workload has been brutal this week.

Have a good day everyone,

Jodi

Good morning!! I wore Hines out last night, we walked 4 miles in 52:53, he was flying and at times was dragging me. We stayed in our neighborhood since I didn't get a chance to walk until after dark and every time we passed our house (our neighborhood is a mile loop) I would try to get him to drink water that I left out. Well, Hines was having none of that. He would push the water bowl away and pull me to start walking again. By the end of the week, he'll do 12 miles with me, but I don't think he's quite ready for my 10 miler on Saturday! :goodvibes

Jodi--Awesome pace on your 5 miles!! You rock! An ultramarathon is basically anything over 26.2 miles, so even though Goofy is over 2 days, you're still running a total of 39.3 miles. I think the most important thing you can do in training for Goofy is doing back to back long runs--during the week you can do "normal" training, 5 miles or whatever the training program calls for, but on Saturday and Sundays (or whatever works best for you) you should do back to back runs. On Saturday you would do the lr for your half and on Sunday you would do the lr for your full. So if this week your lr's were at 6 miles for the half and 12 miles for the full, then on Saturday you would run 6 and on Sunday 12, the next week 7/14, and then 8/16 etc. Stephen is using Hal Higdon's Intermediate Marathon training program, which technically is for a regular marathon, but the program incorporates back to back lr's. Don't be nervous, you have some time to figure this all out, just keep doing what you are doing--you're doing great!! :cheer2:

Tricia--Yay on your 5K!! I love running 5K's. :love: Good luck on getting your legs stretched out, I know how painful cramping muscles can be.

I'd love to sit and chat, but I have a pile of paper on my desk that I need to get started on, be back later!!

Good morning!!

No time for individual replies this morning... I'm just swamped.

Monday was a great crosstraining day with weights and cardio. On the cardio end of things I did 10 minutes on the bike before I hit the weights, then 30 minutes on the Stepmill afterwards.

Yesterday I ran for 35 minutes, 3run/2 walk intervals and ended up with 3.?? miles and a 9:35/mile pace. It was so odd running in 70 degree weather, but I am NOT complaining. Tomorrow should be the same run, I believe.

Another crosstraining day here-- weights and cardio.

OK, boss is calling...

Happy training all!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

I just have time for a quick post too. Yesterday was a really hard run for me. I guess a "stonker" to use the language of the team. As soon as I started running my shins hurt - it actually kind of jolted and shocked me because I wasn't expecting it. I ran 3.02 miles (in the Mt Hope Cemetery for Kim ;)) in 32:58 min or 10:55 mpm. That was way slower than the sub-10 mpms I was running over the weekend. Halfway through the run I just felt like stopping - I had no energy whatsoever. I think I didn't eat enough during the day. I had a small breakfast and then only a bagel and energy bar for lunch. I'm also thinking that the shoes I wore to work yesterday exacerbated my shin problem when I ran. I have another pair of running shoes on today. I'm not sure what I'm doing today - if I will try another run, do some elliptical, or try the deep water running. I'm really getting frustrated with this shin trouble. I iced and took allieve as soon as I got home yesterday, and I took more allieve today. It's very frustrating.

I hope everyone who is sick or injured is feeling better soon!!!

I am so excited last night I finally found the right pace for me to run for distances. Of course I found the pace when I was exhausted but I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and run again and see if it works!! :cool1:

Wow I am going to have to check in more often. I will catch up on all the posts.

I am doing good, really good actually. Getting in alot of long distance walking, doing my weights, and eatting so much better, I was recently diagnosied with high cholesteral and tryglycerieds so all of this is now not only for a sense of accomplishment but most importantly for my health. My doctor said I could still train, he said it was the best thing for me. I still have 40 pds I need to get off before the 1/2 but I know I can do it.

hope you all all doing good, I will catch up on these posts today...who needs to work... :lmao:

Have a great day all.

Kim

BTW can you add Dh to the list Mike, he has decided to do the 1/2 with me.

Thank you

Just a quickie for me, too.

I way over did it yesterday and literally couldn't get out of bed this morning. Woo hoo it's good to feel like myself again :teeth:

I did the 7 miler at lunchtime.

Went to the Y afterwork and did my 400m in 8:40 (look out, Speedy!). My 800 in 18:52. So that was a huge improvement over last time. I will probably need to contact the tri coordinator and change my seed time. I think I told them 9:30.

Then I did weights. I finally did it...

I pressed 600 lbs on the leg press :banana: :banana: :banana: Not once, not twice, but 2 full sets of 8. I did a total of 8 sets which was 31,020 lbs on the leg press alone!

I can't tell you how much my legs and booty hurt this morning. But they're all better now :teeth:

I think I'll just walk at lunchtime today.

Oh, and about the swimming. I didn't stop between laps, but I don't know how to do the turning thingy so I know I lose time switching directions. I also was amazed at how shakey I was when I got out of the water. I thought about jumping on a bike in a matter of seconds and realized that's going to be very challenging...

So Kevin, can you teach me how to do the turning thingy online? :)

MelR-- I'll teach you weight-lifting online but I don't have time right now. :)

Sunny

I forgot to ask, how would I be able to find out when the 1/2 was close to being full?

DH and I are going to register but due to the house needing a new roof and windows....not bad for a 13 year old home :confused3 money will be a little tight for a bit but I don't want to miss out.

Thanks

Kim

Good News!

FIL's out of surgery # 2 and they only had to take little tissue. Plus, they will re-pack and inspect the opening on Friday, but they do not think they will have to do surgery!!! Now, he did have a lung collapse and quickly recover during surgery and they have to keep him on the ventilator a little longer but all in all it's looking like a better day.

Thansk everyone for your thoughts. Now, let's see if I can get some training in this week. :p

Carrie: Thoughts and prayers to your FIL. Hope all turns out well.

:cheer2: :cheer2: I just signed up for my first race. A 5K, June 3. I am really excited...Now I use the term race loosely...I would like to finish in a good time. Since it is my first official race I would like to jog or run the entire thing so I have alot of work to do in just over 7 weeks. Am I being unrealistic??? I can easily walk 5k but have never run any lengh before??

What do you all think.....????

I am so excited!!!! :woohoo:

Well I finally got my decent pace back. It was on a SR but I'll take it. I did 3 miles at 13:33 :cool1: It's still not as fast as I was doing but close. I'm starting to get worried about the heat getting me too. Today was only 68 and not near as humid as it is in Orlando. Sweat was dripping in my eyes, I felt ok but my face was sooooo splotchy red -not pretty. We're going to be at 85 by the weekend. (but like Kevin, I'm not complaining.)

I found a new pixie dust smile pixiedust: neat!

hockeychic-they usually start announcing as it fills up 50%, 75%, etc. so you will have a little warning before it is totally full. That is cool DH is going to do it with you.

Sunny-you are doing great at your tri training.

Dave- pixiedust: for the shins !

Have a great afternoon everyone!!!

Carrie-I hope your FIL continues to improve.

Sunny-600 pounds WOW!

Sunny - are you swimming really fast? I dont know what my times were. I think I can do 1000 meters in about 26-27 minutes. Is that really slow? I usually don't really feel tired and i feel like i could pretty much keep going forever. I think i'm going to do a 1 or 2 miles swim this summer in the lake (it is a race they do every year, but it sounds pretty casual)

It was bible study/mocha day, but since the boy decided to skip his nap this afternoon, we loaded up w/ the road bike and rode the loop at the national military park. He was a little disappointed that he didn't get ride his trail a bike, but i knew the trailer was going to be easier for me to pull and he was supposed to be resting anyway. We finished in pretty good time, and of course, as i do anytime i pull a trailer plus a 35 pound boy, i got some good aerobic work done and some good climbing in!

Tomorrow EC and i are planning on going out to the state park and mountain biking and trail running. We are hoping to work out during the whole preschool time. I'll have to send a report. If i carry a backpack instead of a waist pack, I post some pics.

I need some advice. After my 1 mile Monday, the leg hurt really bad. Tuesday it hurt worse. Today it feels almost normal. I gave it a week off last week before trying to run Monday. There are 3 weeks (plus a couple of days) till the Minnie 5k. Should I let it rest for a couple of weeks and risk going to the Minnie without really having run any distance, or try to run again in the next week to get some miles in and risk really hurting it? I've already accepted the fact that I may have to walk the whole 5k, but I'd rather not. Before the injury, I was running about 1/3 of the time and walking 2/3, for about a 13:00 pace. I'm so depressed - I was so excited about running my first race, especially at WDW, and this is really driving me crazy!

Carrie - Good news about your FIL. Hope he continues to improve!

Dave - Hope your shins feel better SOON!

Sunny - Yea for 600 lbs!

Kim/Hockeychic - Health is important too - even more reason to run!

Oh - I just have to share. DD is on the JV soccer team, and they're just horrible. They've lost every game this season, and until tonight they hadn't even scored a goal. Tonight they FINALLY got ONE goal!

Jackie

WE ARE BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to WDW for the Flower & Garden Show!!!!!!!!!!

We leave one month from tomorrow. Our date are May 13 - May 15th.

I booked the Pop because it was about all that was left except for suites at an AP rate.

We go back in July for a week for a stay at the BC/WL :banana:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :sunny: :) :teeth: :banana:

Hi everybody! Not a good week for me.

I've been :mad: and :worried: and :sad1: , sometimes all at the same time over a dumb car! (Couldn't find a smiley for aggravation or I'd have included that one, too!). But my pity party is over. Not much I can do about it anyway. I have to call the insurance company tomorrow and find out how much they're going to allow for my car. I know it's not going to be much.
But I've been moping all week and it's time to get over it.

So tomorrow, I'm getting back to my work-outs and better eating (can't believe some of the things I ate this week. Probably gained 5-10 pounds.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Now I just need :wizard: that i can find a replacement car for a reasonable price.

Carrie - Good news about FIL! :thumbsup2

Dave - Sorry to hear about the shin problems. They can be really painful. Hope they feel better for you soon.

Tiff - If you're running at WDW in May, just remember to keep up your sodium intake. When I did the triathlon in 2004, that was my downfall (well -one of them). I was trying so hard to hydrate (before and during the race) that I overhydrated and flushed the salt out of my system. I had cramps in my calves that had me close to tears.

Cam - Glad to hear your son's was a smash! Good luck finding the right running shoes. I'm about to start looking for a new pair. Want to break them in before the DL half.

Kim - Good Luck in Boston!

Sunny - 600 pounds!! You go girl! :woohoo: :worship:

Gotta Go!
Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter