• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Apr 9--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
http://acefitness.com/getfit/freeexercise.aspx
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners

Pacing Calculator

Good training everyone!

Screen Name IRL Location

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
DianeL Diane
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CA
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Carmella DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KeriZ Keri CA
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
princessmomma Colleen NC
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
TammyNC Tammy NC
TEK224 Terri PA
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

Hello,

I got my 10 in yesterday as 2 and 8. I did 2 with Paul getting him ready for our 5K in May. Then I did 8 at the track. My avg pace was 9:51 but I had a couple of really great splits: mile 3 = 8:10, mile 5=8:15 and mile 7 was 8:45. I was psyched. I haven't done any fast running since TM speed work early Feb. The weather is great. I did 90 minutes strength training today. I'm signed up for my first spinning class tomorrow. WISH me luck ;)

Sunny

Well, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who listened to my whining last night!! It was a very rough night, but I finally got to take my codeine laced cough medicine around 11 and go to bed!! The Codeine gave me a headache, but that's much better than all the coughing I had been doing. I was able to sleep all the way through the night, and even slept on my back and my left side which I haven't been able to do for weeks without having a coughing fit!! Today I feel so much better, hardly any coughing at all, and I can breathe much better. The only problem I have had is the Antibiotic, if I don't eat when I take it I get very nauseous, but other than that things are great. At this rate I should be feeling really good tomorrow, and might even get a couple mile wog in!! I'll let you guys know tomorrow. :teeth:

Terri - I am so glad that you weren't seriously hurt, but I know that probably isn't much consolation when you car has been mangled. :grouphug:

Dena - I know mine wasn't from overtraining... mine is a bug that everyone in my family has gotten. DMIL and DFIL went to Solantic today to get antibiotics to help them get better too.

Sunny - WOW 10 miles!! I can't wait until I get that kind of distance in!!

Take Care,
Dana

plutosmyfav said:
Hello,

I got my 10 in yesterday as 2 and 8. I did 2 with Paul getting him ready for our 5K in May. Then I did 8 at the track. My avg pace was 9:51 but I had a couple of really great splits: mile 3 = 8:10, mile 5=8:15 and mile 7 was 8:45. I was psyched. I haven't done any fast running since TM speed work early Feb. The weather is great. I did 90 minutes strength training today. I'm signed up for my first spinning class tomorrow. WISH me luck ;)

Sunny

Awesome, Sunny!

Lynnda
- Cool! We can have our own little cheering section at the DL half! Our DS will be 3 in June, but we are leaving him home with mom and sis for this trip! :teeth:

Terri - pixiedust: for you & your car.

Dena - you should be proud - heck, you BETTER be proud! :woohoo:

Dana - glad you are finally able to sleep. I know what you mean about not being able to lay down without having a coughing fit. It stinks!

I was scheduled to do 50 mins. crosstraining today, so I did my 4 mile Leslie Sansone WATP DVD (60 mins). I am so tired now. I think it is leftover tiredness from yesterday's 6 miler also.

And can anyone tell me why can't DH leave me alone when I am exercising? He is always talking to me, commenting, etc. It drives me insane! No matter what I am doing exercise-wise, I like to do it alone. I guess it's "my time." I have asked him to stop (yes, nicely at first). He knows this irritates me from when we used to go to the gym together years ago. Argh! Now he is walking around here calling me crabby and making me more crazy.

I did my 8 miler today. Can you say HELLOOOO - TAPER :thumbsup2 I wasnt thrilled with the pace. 14:17 but I guess it could have been worse. I dont know why I couldnt go faster I did a lot better on my 7 miles the week before. :confused3

Kristi- I know what you mean about being left alone while exercising. If I do the WATP with anyone home they drive me nuts. DH has finally learned to tell the kids "leave mommy alone till she gets done" but sometimes he also suggests that I take them to the track while I do my wog. First of all, I never wog at the track, 2nd of all I'm a SAHM & I've had more than my share of time with them, I need MY exercise time. 3rd of all there is no way I can have a good pace & make sure they stay out of the road. I do most of my training with everyone at work & school. (p.s. I'm leaving kids & DH at home for the DL 1/2 :rolleyes1 )

Dana-glad you're feeling better!!

Terri-so sorry about you're wreak , but I'm glad you're o.k. That's the important thing.

Mel-how was your weekend at WDW?

Sunny- 10 miles & 90 min of ST? Are you going for Ms. Olympian this year :teeth: Awesome job on the pace!!

Count with me girls...........the Minnie is 4 weeks from today!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say hi. I just finished reading last week and am I a blur as to where to start:
how about: :wizard: for injuries whither to person or car and :banana: for everyone doing an awesome job at training.
I'll be one more person to say that the socks look great! Good job Dave.

I am going to go the Salt Lake to walk their half marathon in June and I am super excited- although I am concerned about the altitude and my asthma.

Good luck to everyone training for Minnie!

I am considering going back on weight watchers- anyone have any good suggestions for threads on the Dis?

Hi Everyone,

I am so very glad to say that I have gone out today with my Garmin - I ran a 5k and did it in 31.57 - A little bit more time off of my last 5k which was 35.04. I'm so happy, I was a little scared that something was going to happen to me again (thank god - it didn't). Ankle felt great and now that I did so well.....I glad to have had the opportunity to rest.

Still have to check on everyone's posts.

Jodi

Hey everyone. I haven't posted in since mid last week. I have been so busy and just not time. Plus I have tried catching up here twice today and both times DD5 kicked me off to play on barbie.com. GIRLS!!!

I did my 3 miles yesterday in 43 minutes. I wasn't thrilled with the time, but then remembered that I am the beginner here, and you have to start somewhere. I was going to do cross training today, but in laws came over so I ended up going outside and raking the yard for 2 hours. We have a lot of trees and the winter made yard and left over leaves very matted to the ground. I didn't even get the whole yard done.

DENA - I am so proud of you. I still have about 50 pounds to lose. I did so well after my first daughter, but not so well after the 2nd. She will be 3 this month. This is one of the reasons I am jogging...1)because I have always wanted to run the WDW 1/2 marathon and 2)because I need something to help me lose the extra weight!!

SUNNY - You are like a super woman. Your regimine amazes me.

KRISTI - No one leaves me alone when I exercise either. I fell off the back of the treadmill once because the kids were driving me insane and I had to yell at them. Don't worry, I was not injured just embarrassed.

Have a great week everyone!

TiffJ said:
Mel-how was your weekend at WDW?

Not good, I'm afraid. We were in the Contemporary last night, watching Wishes, then headed to the escalator to the monorail after it was over to go back to TTC. One woman and her friends were race walking to try and beat us to the escalator. The one woman ended up getting between us and the girls, who got on the escalator ahead of us. DD3 fell backward onto the stairs. I was behind DH, who was behind the woman who wouldn't move. I was literally screaming "Get her, Get her!" when the woman finally got out of the way. DH got to her first and picked her up. She was scared but okay. When we got to the monorail platform, the woman was telling her friends all about how the little girl fell and she didn't want to touch her. Apparently, she didn't feel the need to get out of the way so we could help her either :furious: I'm sure those of you that are parents understand the mother lion transformation that occurs when one of your kids gets hurt. DH told me it wasn't worth it and to leave it alone.

And DH told me Sat there's bad juju at his office. He said on Fri before we left that it wasn't a good day, so I just thought, good we're going to WDW to shake off the bad stuff. Apparently, much worse than that...rumors of people losing their jobs and such. He got called back from the conference he was supposed to attend then had to go to Tampa to reset some servers that crashed. I've been home eating since he left and doing math to see how long we could get by on my salary alone. It's either eat or cry and since the kids are up and I need to be with them, I've chosen to eat. Hope we spent enough calories this weekend to compensate.

DD13 and I did our 6 miles yesterday morning...4 times around BW and twice to MGM and back. It was pretty cool, but our pace wasn't great...13:57. 13 yo are interesting training partners. They run really fast until they get tired, then they walk for awhile, then they run while playing air guitar, then walk for awhile, then run and skip, etc...

Sorry to dump or vent...just feeling a bit out of control.

Mel-My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

That lady makes me want to :furious: too. Escalators terrify me though and I am now at the point I avoid them if at all possible. I was out shopping with my SIL a couple of years ago and we were on a fairly full escalator when a childs untied shoe lace got caught at the bottom and they couldn't get him out of it, and people were piling up on the escalator. SIL and I were wondering if we were going to get trampled. Not a fun experience at all and after that I seriously can't comprehend someone who would not want to help a child who fell, got stuck, etc..... I am so glad she is ok!!

Mel - So sorry you had such a rough weekend. I totally understand the mother lion thing - I'm completely amazed by that other person in me who comes out when my kid is hurt, either physically or emotionally. Hope DH's job turns out okay, but I'm doing the sole breadwinner thing right now and I know the stress it causes. The only reason we can swing WDW for the Minnie is that I got money from my mom's estate!

Jodi - Glad your ankle is better.

Terri - Hope everything comes out okay with the car. Glad you're okay! And I think you made the right decision with DL...

I didn't try to run today - it was really windy and cool, so I decided to wait till tomorrow to get back out there. That will give me a full 7 days off, so if the tendon can't handle that, tough!

Jackie

Mel - so sorry about all of the stuff going on! I would have totally flipped out about the WDW exp. I can imagine that momma bear would have been out in full force!!

Sunny - glad you are enjoying running again!

Jodi - great job on your 5k

Kristi - That is great that you had a swelling breakthough

Sorry to everyone with illnesses and accidents.

Lynn - thanks for the encouragement!

I have decided not to do the 50 miler. I'm thinking that even if i succeed, i would be miserable. I want something to look forward to though, so I'm signing up for a brutal off road tri in june.

I did a 8.5 mile trail run today and did some map reading as well. It was really fun. My pace was much better than the pace on the 4.5 thursday. I averaged just over 12mpm which is good for me on singletrack trail. I did about 250 meters of climbing. I at least have a little more confidence back after the total looser of a run on thursday!

Hi All,

Well, I've missed the last 2 weeks of posts so I have a lot of catching up to try & do. Things have just been kind of crazy. The good thing though is I still managed to get in the steps. I have a bunch of friends that wanted to walk and/or run with me, so we've been meeting at the High School track a couple of times a week. It has been a lot of fun being outside instead of just the TM & being out there with friends.

This week I will be out of town so I don't know if or how often I will be able to check in. DH has to go to Las Vegas for a conference for work. I am going with him since we only have to pay for my airfare. :banana: I am bringing my running gear with me and plan on going out for some walk/runs and using the fitness center in the hotel.

DS(19) & I are officially signed up for the WDW 1/2. :woohoo: No turning back now. :rotfl:

I am going to go try & catch up on how everyone has been doing the last 2 weeks.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. :wave:

Gosh, you get busy for a couple of days and look what you miss.

Mel-- So sorry about how rough things have been lately. Here's a little :wizard: for things to get better.

Jen-- Your time sounds just fine to me! Keep up the good work!

Jodi-- Fantastic 5K time!!

Tiff-- Sounds like your pace is just fine. If things felt tough this week, it's probably because, like you said, you did so well last week. The taper should help a lot with that.

Sunny-- Well look who's speedy now!! ;)

I got moving again today and did my 4 miler in 35:29 or 8:52/mile pace; while running 5/1 splits. It actually felt good to push it a bit more than I have lately. I sure hope that momentum continues into this weeks workouts...

Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Mel/chimera- there is just no understanding some people. Glad to hear wild tod is okay though. PD for DH's job.

MelR- that's too bad about the 50 miler but you have to make the decision that's right for your life at this time.

Jody- nice time drop

Sunny- excellent splits! can you send some slighty warmer weather a little further north, please?

Kevin- sub 9s, you're still speedy both in the water and out

Tiffj- congrats to your son on his first triathlon! better watch out, he's going to want a lighter speedier bike soon ;)

Celeste- have fun doing your 1/2 in Salt Lake

Had a great run today. 8.03 miles in 1:15.05 or a 9:21 pace. The run segment pace was an even 9:00/mile. The first 3 were over 9 and the next 5 were under 9 min/mile. This is pretty speedy for me no matter what the extenuating circumstances are but... this was started minutes after finishing a 40.72 mile bike ride. Endurance pace easy(we averaged 16.5 mph but my HR was at the low end of Zone 1), I also rode over 30 miles w/ 15 miles of tempo yesterday. Being able to run pretty well(for me) off the bike really encourages me for the upcoming triathlon race season. 3 weeks until my first race- St Anthony's in St Petersburg FL.

TiffJ or Lynnda asked how long I've been doing triathlons- at least since 1997 and I think I actually may have done my first in 1996. I did take 2000 completely off rehabbing my knee from the 3rd surgery and 2004 was pretty much a wash due to lack of motivation from starting med school making my drop out of my main race.

PD for the injuries and life stuff.
Have a great week training everyone.
Lynne

Mel- sorry to hear about your little one. I would have atleast said something not suitable for Disney, so I was impressed with your restraint. To ward off the bad ju-ju, you could do what they do on Grey's anatomy and drink hot chocolate....maybe that will work? (I don't know why I like that show, so not true to real hosptial life- but darn, Patrick Dempsey is nice to watch for an hour)

TRI from ME- I L-O-V-E, love Maine! Tri's since 1996-what did you start when you were in your teens? Hope med school is going well- any tips on learning (and remembering) the functionality of action potentials, neurotransmitters, and such?

I have to laugh at everyone who says their pace is slow!!! My pace right now is 15 MPH and that is 5 minutes per hour faster than it was in January- after recovering from my knee injury. But alas, I am a walker, not a runner. I am working on doing those running-walking reps....we'll see what happens.

Hope everyone has a great Monday! NO BAD JU-JU ALLOWED! :stir: There it's gone.

quote: TnTsparty - Awasome effort in the 5k!!! Does your TAG come from being a TnT member? I am an alumni from the 2006 WDW marathon with TnT.

No my name doesn't have anything to do with being a TnT member. It actually came from a business attempt me and my sister did (we were independent consultants with a company called 1-800-Partyshop and we are Tammy and Tricia (that is me) and so we were TnT's Party.

I didn't do anything today but I can sure feel it in my legs from yesterday. I might go out tomorrow AM depending on how I feel.

Mel - PD on your DH's job. I know the feeling - PD for the best!!

Everyone else - congrats on getting in long runs (wow we had alot of people who seemed to do 8 miles. Congrats!!

Helllooooo everyone :wave:

Mel, I sure hope things work out for DH! Your restraint is admirable!! :duck:
Tricia, great job on your 5K!!! :thumbsup2
Lynne, I really enjoy reading about yours amd MelR's tri's. Just awesome!! :worship:
Kevin, Good job on getting out there! I know there were other things trying to pull you away!! May the momentum continue!! :cheer2:
Dana, Let the medicine work!! Don't push it just because you feel better, kiddo!! Give your body a little time to recoup!! :rolleyes2
Karen, Have fun in Vegas. Just remember to run/walk in the morning!!!

This is a sad story of two attempts at 10 miles :sad: . Last Friday, DH decided to donate blood. He got picked to donate "packed cells"(all you medical people please understand if I explain this wrong) which meant that they took 2 pints out, separated out the red blood cells and put the rest back in. Saturday morning he gets to sleep in (no kids at home..), so we don't get started until 11 with the temp at 85. Needless to say, by mile two he was hurting. Problem was he had trained me to leave him so he could jog part of the time. So, I am merrily (well, not really..it was HOT!!), walking along and when I don't see him, just think that he has gone off on a side street. At mile 4 we finally meet and I know he's in trouble. I'm the one that carries the water, too! I threatened to stop the next pick up truck that came by to give us a ride home, but he said no way would he ride. Stubborn man!! Fortunately, it was just 2 miles straight back to our house. Got fluids in him and he's fine.

This Saturday we get out the door by 9:30 (Yea!!) and it is overcast with a breeze. Oh, this is going to be a great walk! :cool1: Uh oh, sprinkles at mile 3. Downpours at 3.5! :umbrella: I think of all of you who walk in the cold and snow :cold: (Masked Sunny came to mind)...We decide this is just a cloud burst and will pass. Hey, you know, it could rain at DL or WDW!! Sure enough, 10 minutes later, it's over. Then back, then over, then back...No lightening, so I am determined to keep on. By mile 5, it doesn't stop, the lightening starts, and when we go uphill we are slogging through a river coming downhill! Fortunately, again, we are at a shortcut to the house and 1.2 miles later, we're there. So, basically, I got a 10K in which is the Crescent City Classic next week (see ya there, Claire!)

Garmin held up fine, but I think there was a glitch somewhere. It says I did a 14:15 mile at mile 4!! Well, I did take some GU then...hmmmmm. :drinking1 AND it said my average pace was 15 ON THE NOSE!!! ::MinnieMo here I come!! Now, see, Celeste..I'm THRILLED with that number!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: for all. May this be an injury free week!!

Hi everyone....just popping in quickly. The girls play went wonderfully...but I am relieved it is now over. What a long week! We leave in an hour to head to the airport, we're off to Arizona. Can't wait to run while I'm there....all my running gear is packed :thumbsup2 .

Yesterday I did my first 4 miler in 43:00. I'm pretty happy with that pace and the run was enjoyable!

Mel: Boy...you restrained yourself well. So glad your little one is ok!!!! Pixie Dust to you....sounds like a rough few days. :grouphug:

TnTsparty: Great Job on your 5K!!!

Jackie: Pixie Dust for your tendon!!! Sure hope it's all healed up so you can get back out there. But if it still hurts...please keep resting it!

Jody: WTG on your 5K run with the Garmin! Can't wait to get mine...I'm ordering it when we get back from AZ!!!

Have a great week everyone...I won't be able to check in from the road. But I'll run with my camera so I can post a pic when I get back :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter