WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Here is the recipe I promised FOREVER ago!

Heidi's Curried Chicken

1 medium onion - chopped

1 medium carrot - finely chopped or grated

1 1/2 C apple, washed and diced

1 C finely chopped celery

1/3 C flour

1 TB. curry (more or less)

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

3 C fat free chicken stock/broth

2 C cooked chicken breast, diced

Coat a large pot or dutch oven with non-stick spray and sautee the onion, carrot, apple, and celery over medium high heat until slightly softened. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes. Add the curry powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring until thickened. Add the chicken and stir. Allow to continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Here are the changes I make..........

I always add more of the onion, carrot, and celery... sometimes I also add more apple, but that adds more points (if you are doing WW). Any where from half again to double the amount of veggies still works. I usually stick with 1 TB. of curry powder because I am not big on spicy things. I use chicken or turkey breast if I have it available, but I will also use thighs or whatever is handy. Just remember that thigh meat has a bit more points/calories than breast.

This can be simmered on low anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes without any troubles.

The entire original recipe is 10 points... so if you get 10 servings, they are 1 point per serving!! I have always served this over brown rice, but you could use white rice, potato, pasta, a biscuit, or toast. It is a VERY LOOSE soupy casserole, so it is nice to serve it with something a bit starchy. But I eat it solo many times and still really enjoy it!

Even if you are not a veggie person, you really can't differentiate the veggies in this.... especially if you cook it longer and they break down more. I actually like to simmer it on the shorter side so that some of the veggies still have a bit of a bite to them.

Next up.... Sparkpeople cheesecake.... just gotta find it!........P

Here is another recipe, while I have the time. My DS had to make a recipe using a product from Alaska for a 4th grade project. We made the salmon cakes recipe on the back of the Chicken of the Seas package and he LOVED them (keeping in mind, he is SOOOO picky). I have lightened up the recipe and it is still delicious.

Lucas' Light Salmon cakes

1 6 oz. pouch of salmon

3 egg whites

1/4 C finely diced onion

1/4 C finely diced green pepper

1 Tb. lemon juice

2 Tb. light mayo

1 C plain bread crumbs, divided in half

Combine 1st 6 ingredients and the first half of the bread crumbs. Make 12 patties, coating the patties in the remaining half of bread crumbs. The original recipe called for these to be fried in a skillet. I have been baking my "lighter" version in the oven, but honestly, I cannot remember the time/temp!! I'm going to say 425° for about 15 minutes, but PLEASE check on them frequently.

They do fall apart fairly easily, so don't handle them a great deal. Put the patties directly on a foil covered pan sprayed with non-stick spray. You may want to turn them once while they are cooking, but I don't believe it is vital.

If you make the full 12 patties, they break down to 1.16 pt each. You could try to make a full 14 patties... then they would be 1 pt each (in other words, the entire recipe is 14 points).

I suppose you could make this with tuna also, but I'm not sure how that would change the points.

Don't let the VERY long list of ingredients scare you away.... they come together very quickly.

Pamela's Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cookies

1 1/4 C flour (10 pt)

1/2 C sugar (8 pt)

1/2 C Splenda (0 pt)

1/2 tsp. salt (0 pt)

1/2 tsp baking powder (0 pt)

1/2 C skim milk (1 pt)

1 Tb. soy flour (.75 pt)

1 Tb. water (0 pt)

6 Tb. Benefiber (0 pt)

1 tsp. cinnamon (0 pt)

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (0 pt)

2/3 C sugar free apple sauce (1.5 pt)

2 Tb. vegetable oil (6 pt)

2 C crushed Go-Lean/Go-Lean Crunch (1 c each = 5 pt)

1 apple, washed, cored, chopped

ROUNDS UP TO 34 PTS TOTAL

Combine wet ingredients in one bowl and dry in another (except apples). Combine wet and dry and fold in apple. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes on a cookie sheet coated with nonstick spray. This makes 20 cookies at 1.7 pts each. The cookies are very "wet" and must be kept in the fridge or they will mold quickly. I find them to be a bit sticky on the outside, but that doesn't bother me. Maybe they could be cooked a bit longer to dry them out bit more.
Modifications: I did make them another time with a combination of Fiber One cereal and Crunch Corn bran cereal, peach apple sauce, no oil, and soy milk instead of skim. They were just as good. This changed them to 1.3 pts each.

Obviously you can change this up a great deal, depending on your tastes and available ingredients. You could use raisins, shredded carrots, and different cereals. I gave you a break down of the points per ingredient so that you can make the necessary calculations as you change things. Use the recipe as just a "guideline" for making your own "cookies"!!

Sorry I don't have the NI for folks other than WW.

THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO USE UP SLIGHTLY STALE CEREAL OR THOSE CEREAL CRUMBS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG!

FROM sparkrecipes.com

No Bake Graham Cracker Cheesycake
Submitted by: WANT2BFATFREE

Tastes Similar to Cheesecake without all the calories

15 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients
Graham Crackers Low Fat (about 16)
Cream Cheese Fat Free (8 oz.)
Skim Milk (1 cup cold)
Lemon Juice (2 Tbsp)
Instant Vanilla Pudding Sugar Free (1 sm box)
Whipped Topping Fat Free (8 oz)
Lite Cherry Pie Filling (1 can) -(you can substitute with any flavor you like)

Directions
-Line bottom of 9x13 cake pan with whole graham crackers.
-Beat cream cheese until smooth
-Add milk and lemon juice to cream cheese and beat until smooth
-Stir in pudding mix
-Fold in whipped topping
-Spread half of cream cheese mixture over graham crackers
-Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and cream cheese mixture
-Spread Pie filling on top
-Refrigerate overnight (graham crackers will soften)

Number of Servings: 18

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SUZIE28.

Number of Servings: 18

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 18
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 122.4
Total Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 2.9 mg
Sodium: 141.5 mg
Total Carbs: 23.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 3.1 g

** My modifications**

I've only made this once, but here are my changes. First of all, I only used the first layer of graham crackers on the bottom. I didn't see the point in the second layer and figured I would be better off with less calories. Second.... I skipped the cherry pie filling. I actually bought it and opened it, but thought it tasted pretty artificial, so I skipped it.

With the NI that was given, I figured it to be 2 points per serving, but only 3 points for two servings.

I think it is excellent. It tastes a bit like the Philadelphia Cheesecake filling that is sold in tubs in the refrigerator section... but it is looser. You don't really cut it so much as scoop it. I wondered if the addition of a bit of unflavored gelatic would firm it up enough to serve it as "cake" would work, but I haven't tried it.

I also plan to try it using different flavors of the pudding mix. I'm hoping maybe the cheesecake flavored pudding mix might be nice.. or white chocolate or lemon! I also plan on adding a tsp. of vanilla next time. It was sweet enough, but it seemed like a bit of something would be nice.

A fruit topping of some sort would also be excellent, but I would highly discourage you from wasting money on that horrible canned pie filling. I pretty much thought it would be terrible and I was RIGHT!I also think that this could be made in individual servings in a paper lined muffin pan maybe?? I'm still thinking about how to make this into individual portions that I could freeze. I am the only one eating it at home and it makes a big batch. I suppose I could make it in two 8x 8 pans and freeze one. Of course, that is assuming that this would freeze okay.... haven't tried yet.

Any how.... enjoy!!

I found this origninally online. It was a Real Simple recipe from 2001. I changed it a lot so I am re-posting it. If you want to see the original recipe here is the link:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=524367

I don't know how many points or calories, but we froze half and have had it at 3 meals.

And just to add, I am a vegetarian and dh is a flexetarian (sp?) but neither one of us is a big fan of tofu. So I was hesitant about this, but it is yummy! Start to finish, I got this in the oven in about 25 min.

6-8 ounces mozz cheese shredded--I used closer to 6
3-4 cups prewashed spinach--I used regular, but you can use baby, if using regular pull the stems off
3/4 of a package of no boil lasagna noodles (12 total)
fresh gr. pepper
sea salt
3 T fresh chopped basil
oregano to taste
3 cloves garlic (pressed)
1 diced red pepper
1 md. diced vidalia onion
1 T olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 c grated Parm
1 pound soft tofu, drained.
40 ounces of no sodium tomato sauce

Heat olive oil over med heat. Add onions and peppers and saute until just
soft. Stir in tomato sauce and continue to heat over low.

Lightly beat the eggs. Add the drained tofu, parm cheese, salt (to taste, we are not big salt eaters so I added a tiny bit), pepper to taste, garlic, basil, and oregano. Mix well.

Spray the bottom of 13x9 pan. Put about a a cup of sauce on bottom of pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Put half of tofu mixture on top. Put about half the spinach on top.

Next add 1/3 of remaining sauce. Top with 4 noodles, Tofu, spinach and small amount of mozz. cheese. Add 1/3 of sauce. Place remaining noodles and lightly push down on noodles. (You want it to all be in the pan). Top with remaining sauce and cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-45 min until noodles appear done. Take top off and continue to bake for 5 more minutes.

I've noticed that no one has posted in almost a month, so bump!

CC

Hey, I am planning to try out pizza over the weekend.. should be a good hands on exp and would share across if it turns out to be a whammy!

What are some good non carb based meatless night meals??

I'm having a hard time coming up with this past pasta or potato based meals.

What are some good non carb based meatless night meals??

I'm having a hard time coming up with this past pasta or potato based meals.

Do you eat eggs? Frittatas are pretty easy. There are tons of recipes with lots of different kinds of veggies.

We eat fajitas--with low carb tortillas and beans instead of meat.

We eat a lot of noodle bowls--and just have waaaaaay more veggies in there than noodles. I normally have carbs with every meal, but try to have the vegetables out weigh the carbs. I try to buy pasta that has more whole grains or protein than regular pasta. If I'm making pizza, I use thin crust. If we're having bread, it's usually high fiber whole grain.

Veggie burgers are also pretty easy to make from scratch, and I don't usually have them with bread. There are also tons of different veggie burger recipes. I've also seen lots of recipes with portabella mushrooms--but I don't like mushrooms.

Hope this helps!

I'm not doing vegitarian all the time, so eggs and other things are ok in my book.

My biggest problem is I'm trying to create healthy meals for some one who's never had a full well rounded meal. And was never offered good veggies. So I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate some greens into the diet, without it being obivious. I can get him to eat raw spinach because he thinks it's lettuce. I buy the mixed greens and have a salad with our meals. I can buy a few bags of frozen veggies to eat as a meal and be happy, he can't.

Potatoes and corn seem to be the only two "veggies" that he'll eat. Which is not well rounded...

The other hard part is, so many of the "warehouse" style grocery stores don't carry a lot of good for you food. There's only two supermarket chains here that carry all that stuff, and of course costs a bit more. He hates it when I want to go shopping there because everything is expensive. And he doesn't understand why I don't like the food at the other places.

I liked this recipe very much so thanks a lot for this but one thing which I want to share with you that also do some exercise for 15 to 20 minutes in a day with taking this type of loser healthy food becasue exercise is also good for our health it gives refreshment.

Thanks for checking out the recipe. If you would like to talk more about exercise, there is plenty of chatter about it over on the WISH board. Feel free to come join us!..............P

Okay.... not so much a "recipe" as an idea.... but it was SO delicious, I had to share it.

Open-face tomato sandwich (one serving)

1 Sandwich Thin or Deli Thin (your choice of flavor), toasted

1 perfectly ripe summer beefsteak tomato, sliced in thick rounds

2 Tb. of guacamole

1 wedge of Laughing Cow lite original swiss cheese

Divide LC cheese in half and spread on each half of toasted Sandwich Thin. Top LC cheese with guacamole. Top guacamole with tomato slices. Salt and pepper lightly, if desired. Eat. YUMMMMM!

My favorite lunches so far this summer! But it won't be the same without fresh tomatoes, ripe and warm from the sun. :sad2:

Just wanted to share (and to give our recipe thread a bump!)........P

Thanks P! I love avocado. I bet that would be good with just a little bit of goat cheese as well!

(Originally found in "365 Ways to Cook Chicken")

1 whole chicken, about 3 pounds

Salt, pepper,

1 tsp. rosemary

4 medium potatoes, washed and cut into 2" cubes

4 small onions, peeled and quartered

4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces (or two handfuls of baby carrots)

1 C dry white wine

Place potatoes, onions, and carrots on bottom of crockpot. Place washed/dried chicken on top of veggies and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Pour in the wine and about 1/2 C of water. Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.

**Here are my modifications. I often use less wine or skip it all together and just use chicken stock or water. And I will put more veggies in if I am serving more people... and I really like onion so I use more. Plus I have put in other veggies like parsnips and turnip. And you can add a bit of rosemary on top of the veggies before adding the chicken if you desire.

Don't expect crispy skin on the chicken, like you would get from the oven, but since I don't eat the skin anyhow, I don't care.

I just serve this as a one-pot meal.... nothing else needed.

**Second day suggestion** I have taken the cooking water and leftover chicken and veggies, some additional chicken stock and made an excellent chicken soup the next day! Just be careful of overcooking the veggies, since they will already be soft.

.......................................P

I've made this several times more recently and have a few other changes/suggestions.....

I use a larger chicken.... anywhere from 3-5 pounds, since my crockpot can hold that. I use all stock (fat free chicken or vegetable), no water, no wine. More onion and carrots (about a pound or more of carrots). DH doesn't eat the potato and I don't eat much, so 2-3 potatoes is enough for the kids. And again, it easily feeds 4-5 hungry folks with leftovers. The leftovers make a great soup or stew or you could even make it into a pot pie!

SEMI-CROCKPOT HAMBURGER SOUP

1 lb. of lean ground beef, browned, drained (and rinsed if you desire)

2 large potatoes, cubed

3 handfuls of baby carrots

2 medium onions, diced

3 stalks of celery, washed and diced

1 bottle V-8 juice or tomato juice (low sodium if desired)

Place all ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I call it "semi-crockpot" because you have to brown the meat in advance. But I will buy a large quantity of hamburg on sale and brown it all at once and divide it into 1 lb. containers and put it in the freezer. I haven't tried this recipe using TVP, but I suppose you could. Not sure what TVP would do after cooking all day in the crockpot.

** My modifications.... the original recipe called for using tomato soup and water.... but I don't like the HFCS in the soup (or the calories), so I use the juice. V-8 comes in low sodium or high fiber or spicy, so you could change it up if you want.

The original recipe also called for corn, but I don't want the added starch.

This could be easily made on the stove top, if you were in a hurry... and you could use frozen veggies if desired.

......................................P

Last edited:
1 2 lb pork roast, trimmed of fat
1 white onion
1 bottle green chile verde salsa
cumin

Chop onion and place pork roast on top. Add salsa and a dash of cumin. Cook on low for 6 hours. Shred cooked pork in crockpot and serve with tortillas and your choice of condiments.

I found this recipe somewhere but when I googled it I couldn't find it again. It's so easy I can remember it.

My modified version of Bisquik's Impossibly Easy Vegetable Pie

2 C broccoli, steamed (I have also used asparagus and broccoli... and I often add onion and green pepper)

1/2 C 2% shredded cheese (cheddar, Italian blend, Mexican blend, all work well)

1/2 C Heart Smart Bisquick

1 C skim milk

4 egg whites

Salt and pepper to taste

Place cooked veggies in the bottom of a Pam-sprayed 9 inch pie pan. Stir remaining ingredients together and pour over veggies. Bake at 400° 35 -45 minutes or until browned and knife comes out clean.

** The way I make it I figure it out to be 6 pts for half of the pie.

........................................P

Sunrise Spice Muffins

1 spice cake mix

1/2 C raisins

1/2 C grated carrots

1/2 C unsweetened applesauce

1/2 C crushed pineapple (no sugar added)

Mix all ingredients and bake in cupcake tin according to package directions. 24 muffins = 2.25 pts each

Variations - eliminate pineapple and add 1 chopped apple and a few chopped walnuts (very few... just enough to equal 2 pt), and reduce raisins by half. Same points per muffin.

**If you make these, keep them refrigerated. Since they are very low in fat, they spoil very quickly......................P

Creamy Pineapple Coconut Pie

1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple

3/4 C lowfat milk

1 4-serving box of sf/ff instant vanilla pudding

1/2 C flaked coconut, toasted

1 9 in graham cracker crust (reduced fat if you can find it)

1 C Cool Whip Light or Cool Whip Free

Additional toasted coconut to garnish.

Drain pineapple well... reserve 1/4 C juice.

Combine pineapple, reserved juice, milk, pudding mix, and coconut in large bowl. Mix 2 minutes on low speed with electric mixer.

Pour into crust, spread Cool Whip over the top. Chill at least 2 hours. Garnish with additional coconut.

** I don't know the points breakdown for this. Honestly, I haven't made it in years, but it is delicious!! I think I'm going to make it this weekend! Anyone doing WW etools and want to figure out the points for me??.............P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter