Will Disney Soon Be Moving To Regular Capacity?

I'd be more worried about safety at Universal than Disney.

We found that in some ways, Universal was doing a better job than Disney in July. The Lowes hotels were doing a way better job. Universal was much better about empowering their employees to correct mask issues. I don't know how they compare now though.

I wouldn't worry if I were driving since you wouldn't be exposed to anyone for an extended period of time. If they didn't mandate masks in the airport, that would be a huge concern.

They may not mandate masks in the airport. The locals can say masks are necessary, but there are now no repercussions. People can basically not wear a mask if they don't want to, except on private property, which would then have to be willing to enforce it.

I thought that about driving too, but it was way more uncomfortable than I thought it would be. People were coughing, hacking, and yelling at gas stations. No one was wearing a mask in bathrooms, well, except me. It isn't a long time, but the time threshold is 15 minutes. That can easily be exceeded waiting for a bathroom or in line to purchase something.

Wasn’t Disneyland Cali complaining about not enough direction from local govt but there’s no impact for Disney world with Go. Gov DeSantis Opening everything up in fla? I think it will change things, perhaps opening more resorts/etc earlier than we all anticipated??

Wasn’t Disneyland Cali complaining about not enough direction from local govt but there’s no impact for Disney world with Go. Gov DeSantis Opening everything up in fla? I think it will change things, perhaps opening more resorts/etc earlier than we all anticipated??

There were no restrictions on the resorts. They aren't opening them, because they don't have enough people staying in them. They have to have DVC open mostly though.

Not sure about capacity but Josh D'amoro has stated reservations are here to stay in an interview with the Dow Report.

Might just be more anecdotal than reality but I see a lot of comments from people that these changes make them less likely to travel to WDW not more
Yup, that's me! We are in CT, and went through hell last spring with COVID. I'm a nurse, and working on a COVID floor gave me front-row seats to how devastating this virus can be. Underestimating it is a huge mistake. Too many people only look at mortality when considering the virus' threat, and don't take into consideration the significant long-term effects that many more experience.

We are taking it slowly up here. Our numbers are good, but could go there opposite way at any point. But by taking reasonable precautions, we're able to safely enjoy near-normalcy. My kids are back in school full time, in person, 5 days a week. They're wearing masks and following some really well-thought-out protocols to keep them safer. Even for my kindergartener, wearing a mask is no big deal because it's just the norm and everyone is doing it.

Being safe(er) is the best way to stimulate the economy. The more people are following safety guidelines, the more people are willing to go out and spend money. It is amazing to be able to go to stores, restaurants, salons, etc. without the anxiety that we're taking a big risk. I'm not interested in spending thousands of dollars to take a trip that puts me and my family at risk of getting sick. If I'm vacationing, it's to relieve stress, not induce anxiety.

Not sure about capacity but Josh D'amoro has stated reservations are here to stay in an interview with the Dow Report.

He actually didn't. He said the technology developed during the pandemic can and should be leveraged for the long term. He mentioned examples of this being the reservation system, mobile ordering, etc.

But was just the technological development concept in general, not the reservation system specifically. (It may be here to stay but that quote has been misinterpreted by a number of sources)

Might just be more anecdotal than reality but I see a lot of comments from people that these changes make them less likely to travel to WDW not more

Yep.

I seriously was trying to strong arm my husband into flying Christmas week. Now we are definitely not doing it. I'm not even upset about our trip to the beach probably being canceled in 2 weeks due to hurricane damage. I don't want to even go near the FL state line right now.

Would you be flying or driving? If you have a car, would you have to stop for gas, restroom, or food? If flying, masks may not be required in the airport. If taking MDE back, you may be sitting in the airport for hours. There was a lot of iffiness when we drove in July from Texas and that was with greater state and local restrictions.

I wouldn't be worried about driving. You get gas at home so doing it on the road shouldn't be any different. I keep disposable gloves, disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer in my car at all times. Getting food - we drive down to WDW every time we go - from Georgia so not as far as Texas - and we pack what we call road food so no stopping to get food. Restrooms would be a new experience now days, we have a RV so we have our own restroom but when not using it , we do stop at rest stops. I think as long as you wear a mask and WASH YOUR HANDS, rest stops shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the original question, I don't think WDW will be quick to increase capacity. They are still trying to figure everything out just like everyone else.

Q1 of the next fiscal year starts on Thursday and between this + phase 3 happening I can see restaurant capacity increase and maybe a 10-20% park occupancy increase possibly even testing out the character meet system TDL is implementing and opening Ratatouille up with a boarding group system but I don’t see business as usual happening till Q2 or Q3 of 2021 at the earliest

I have an early December resort reservation. I'm going to watch to see what unfolds as I'm sure others will. Not canceling but watching.

I have a reservation the week after Xmas. I’d never considered WDW at the holidays before this because of the crowds. If they increase capacity, I’m canceling. I don’t want to be there with large crowds normally, and definitely not in COVID times.

Why do you say that? (Genuinely curious, not snarky!) 😀😀
I’ve heard more stories about compliance issues at Universal than at Disney. Universal also has narrower pathways (in general) and more congested areas (Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley). At universal, pretty much everyone has to enter and exit through one relatively narrow pathway to the garages.

I'd be more worried about safety at Universal than Disney.

Because Disney is bette
I’ve heard more stories about compliance issues at Universal than at Disney. Universal also has narrower pathways (in general) and more congested areas (Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley). At universal, pretty much everyone has to enter and exit through one relatively narrow pathway to the garages.

Ive heard more stories about issues at Disney than Universal.

Disney was not caught off guard by this announcement. Disney needed the states approval to reopen, but that’s all they’re going to look for from the state. Disney will not change anything just because the state says they can.

Interesting. I kind of think you’re right, but they did test some fireworks last week.

Our experience was different. Everything I have watched and read/heard said that mask compliance was about the same, ignoring Volcano Bay, which doesn't really have mask rules. However, I have seen first hand, watched videos, and read/heard more about Universal being willing to correct mask issues. We are seeing more now at Disney now, but I don't know if they are better. Also, Universal forces hand sanitizer onto the hands of everyone getting onto an attraction right before they board. I also like the hotel examinations better.

Ive heard more stories about issues at Disney than Universal.

I have too. I have seen more issues at Disney too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter