Will cruise lines require passengers to wear a Face Mask? - POLL

Will cruise lines require guests to wear a Face Mask?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
The practicality of wearing a mask on board the ship is mitigated by the fact you'll still be touching surfaces that other people touch (elevator buttons, railings, deck furniture etc) so are you going to wear surgical gloves all day too? Until they can absolutely guarantee that everyone on board the ship is infection free (either testing every one that gets on board with a rapid test) or they develop a vaccine in the very near future (Oxford University is in the testing stages of one that they said could in mass production by September) The likelihood of cruising resuming in the near future (possibly July/August) is probably pretty low, the liability of the cruise lines is a factor that will keep them shut down until they have a handle on the infection or a treatment to fight it off or prevent it.
Even if they can test everyone before they board, it will only show a moment in time. The incubation period is two to fourteen days. Plenty of people would then test negative at that moment, but be contagious possibly even the next day or at some other time during the cruise.

Last edited:
I unfortunstly think mask may be something that they try to implement just to get ships moving again. I think if they did, maybe only require them for things like deck parties and shows and not the entire time. Maybe they would do things like reduced capacity so that families might not dine with strangers, deck chairs could be distanced more, and cabanas not being self serve. I think some people would be willing to deal with masks and restrictions to have a more exclusive experience and many will choose to wait. I think if there comes a time that rapid tests are massively available, accurate, reliable, and inexpensive, that would be best. I could see asking you to take a test 24-48 hours prior and another at the terminal. Even then, nothing is 100%, but if they could ever do that, people could feel reasonably safe cruising like normal again. Then another retest as you disembark at customs. I don't know if testing would ever be that available, accurate, possible and inexpensive but that would be ideal. Eventually there will hopefully be a vaccine. That would be the best thing, but travel and vacation industries will definatly have to start running before that happens.

Just can't see DCL reducing the amount of guests on board, that would be a huge money loss for them and it would be pointless to sail if they can't show a profit from each itinerary.

Another thing I thought of, I wonder if they will start out only doing Cast Away bc it is in Disney's controle as a destination and then add other ports as they show good results. I know no matter what they do, almost all companies in general are looking at record losses for the foreseeable future. I feel that all cruise companies are in the same boat (excuse the pun), but Disney can recover because they are such a leader in high standards and good hygiene practices. I think they will have to eat some negative numbers to restore confidence. Once they get moving again and progress is simultaneously being made on the medical front, they will eventually get back in the black. It will require patience from leadership, share holders, and passengers though bc this will not happen over night.

Just can't see DCL reducing the amount of guests on board, that would be a huge money loss for them and it would be pointless to sail if they can't show a profit from each itinerary.
I also don't see them reducing the number of guests onboard, but not for the same reason. Namely, because they currently have booked sailings that are scheduled to sail mostly filled, and no way are they going to alienate their remaining faithful & fearless cruisers by cancelling those cruisers' reservations in order to keep the guest count low. That would be DCL-icide.

However, they don't need to completely fill the ships to turn a profit. Many (probably most) sailings are not completely filled, and/or partially filled with people sailing on very steep discounts, but DCL still profits from those cruises. Remember DCL cruises today cost about double what they did a decade ago. Their operating costs definitely did not increase anywhere near that much in the same timeframe, so that represents huge profits for DCL. They had enough extra money pre-pandemic to plan to build & launch 3 new ships in the next few years (almost doubling the size of the fleet). What I suspect will give during this severe downturn is the production and launching of one or more of those new ships.

Last edited:
I really don’t see how this is logistically practical or even possible.

First, Is Disney going to provide paper masks? Yes, there are laundry rooms/services but cloth face masks are meant to be sanitized/washed after every use. How does that work for the number of people on the ship!

There’s so much eating and drinking on ships that masks won’t help in the dining rooms so like others have said, it would mean sailing at a really reduced capacity.

Then there’s the fact that a huge number of cruises are to tropical places. Masks don’t do what they’re supposed to do with regard to mitigating spread when they get damp. It’s not full summer here in FL but I wore a mask one time to walk my dog when the whole mask thing was recommended and it was pointless. By 30 minutes into our walk in 90 degrees with 11uv index plus humidity my mask was wet.

So, when you have hot, humid weather and people sweating it’s going to mean changing masks multiple times a day for them to remain effective. That means tons of masks and tons of risk as people won’t change their masks in time or won’t go back to their cabin to change masks.

Cruise lines may require it to get up and running but I don’t see how it’s anything other than smoke and mirrors to stay in business.

I think one of the greatest logistical issues is the mechanics of the cruise itself.

So, you get someone onto the ship, wearing their mask. Great! Then they go to the MDR, where they are packed like sardines, without masks, because MDR = place you eat, need mouth. You can ban snacks in theaters but you can't have covered mouths in an MDR. Even if you shut down ice cream and the pool deck food and enforce eating areas, the eating issue alone becomes key.

Then, you have people who refuse to wear the mask on board. What do you do with them? Throw them overboard? Treat their cabin as a brig?

Then you have the ship staff, most of whom are tip dependent. They care greatly about their health, but the tip issue is a huge factor. Asking them to enforce is rough. They know that if they insist on masking or help force someone into cabin isolation as a result of mask refusal, tips for the teams are going to go way down. Even the untipped staff know this will happen, and have a sense of community with the crew as a whole. You're basically asking a crew to debate health vs. rule vs. getting paid, and forcing it to the shoulders of the front-line workers.

I think one of the greatest logistical issues is the mechanics of the cruise itself.

So, you get someone onto the ship, wearing their mask. Great! Then they go to the MDR, where they are packed like sardines, without masks, because MDR = place you eat, need mouth. You can ban snacks in theaters but you can't have covered mouths in an MDR. Even if you shut down ice cream and the pool deck food and enforce eating areas, the eating issue alone becomes key.
With reduced capacity, opening Cabanas as an 4th MDR and 2 seatings, that should be possible to have more distance between people. If they go to 30% - 50% capacity. And yes, I think all outside food will probably be closed. And as we see in Asia, you can take your mask off during dinner, it's a short period, you are only surrounded by your family.
Here in NL they are talking about re-opening restaurants by having a 'pick up'-table instead of servers coming to your table. The server leaves your food at a nearby table, and you pick it up from there.

Then, you have people who refuse to wear the mask on board. What do you do with them? Throw them overboard? Treat their cabin as a brig?
Yes, if the contract states you have to wear a mask at embarking, disembarking, walking around, the theaters etc. and you do not comply, then yes, you have to be confined to your cabin and if possible disembark at the first possible port (in my opinion :) )

Then you have the ship staff, most of whom are tip dependent. They care greatly about their health, but the tip issue is a huge factor. Asking them to enforce is rough. They know that if they insist on masking or help force someone into cabin isolation as a result of mask refusal, tips for the teams are going to go way down. Even the untipped staff know this will happen, and have a sense of community with the crew as a whole. You're basically asking a crew to debate health vs. rule vs. getting paid, and forcing it to the shoulders of the front-line workers.
That tips are going to be down is a given. The first cruises will have limited capacity as every other business. My guess is 30-50%. I think cruiselines will have a staffing problem to begin with, I can imagine that there are plenty who want to get off the ships asap and go back home and/or to another job. Because of the health issues and the lower income.
The downside, there is nothing you as a passenger can do about it, except tip more. Disney could increase the tip, and sell that to the passenger as 'there is more cleaning to do'. But there will not be a raise in their paycheck.

For anyone that is having fogging issues with their glasses, try to get a mask with metal across the bridge of the nose. It will allow you tighten more. Also, in Japan, they sell masks that have foam on the inside on the nose to fill in the gaps. I have put felt on a mask I have, and it seems to work pretty well. I don't have any foam to try.

I have glasses and I never yet have had a problem with fogging issues. I am in NJ maybe that's why? not hot yet?

We will not vacation anywhere, not on a cruise, not at Disney World, not anywhere, where we have to wear masks. Being forced to wear one is the absolute antithesis of a vacation. The flight to get there is a separate deal and not something that phases me. Transportation is generally always something of a hassle when it comes travel, anyway. But at the destination itself, no. If they want my vacation dollars, they cannot make me wear a mask.

This I can hold off on those places. When all is said and done I'm just hoping to go visit Lancaster PA to see Amish things or NYC a hour away from my house before even flying anywhere

I can see them having adults/teens wearing masks and kids 12 and under not having to like they have us doing here in NJ.

where are you in NJ that kids don't have to wear a mask? wondering haven't heard that, but I don't have kids, so wouldn't know that stuff

where are you in NJ that kids don't have to wear a mask? wondering haven't heard that, but I don't have kids, so wouldn't know that stuff
That is old things have changed now. Anyone over 2 has to wear one in NJ now. I believe some areas in California children under 12 still don’t have to wear a mask.

Last edited:
First, Is Disney going to provide paper masks?

I see this as a realistic possibility--they could leave them in the room each night as part of turndown service. This is not going to last forever, and the cruises will not be at full capacity (and probably not all ships will be running), so we are not looking at an insane cost for daily paper masks.

I will not cruise and wear a mask, or travel anywhere for that fact. I’m not paying money for leisure to be uncomfortable. Masks also aren’t recommended for children under 3.
I agree. It's not that I don't think masks are neccisary right now, I definatly do. I understand why they may need to require them for shows or other situations. I just can't see spending thousands of dollars for an extremely restricted experience that would probably not be limited to having to wear a mask when I can stay home and be comfortable for free. I have been dreaming and hoping to go on the Dream for several years. I have been saving and planning and was going to book a trip for Feb. 2021. I do believe ships will be sailing by then, but I decided to wait until Feb.2022 so that either these restrictions will hopefully be unnecessary, or worst case they would become my new normal and wouldn't feel like they were ruining the trip I have imagined for so long.

So if WDW is talking about phase opening, marking 6 ft markers for queue lines, all workers wearing mask with the park opening at 50% capacity in phase I and phase II at 75% with either ages 60 or 65 (don’t remember exactly the age) not allowed in due to age/increased risk, how can they possibly really consider cruising? Potential disaster waiting to happen.

I don't think it's a potential disaster waiting to happen. It's a complete disaster waiting to happen.

My wife and I were discussing this. We have never cruised but last Feb. we booked a cruise for 8/31 on the Fantasy for our 20th anniversary this year. We said that we wish they would release something because we don't want our first cruise to have a ton of limited experiences and required to wear masks the entire time. I would be inclined to do it for shoes or something similar but not the entire time. What do you all think? Knowing that it's our first cruise ever and a special one at that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter