Wilderness Lodge Club Level Trip Quandry

Renee H

Mouseketeer
Hi... I booked our upcoming WL Club level delux room almost a year ago.. the Pickens were slim even then. I’ve always wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time and we’ve stayed CL at other resorts many times but this is our 1st time at WL. Having 4 kids, we usually request as close to the lounge as possible. Our oldest kids are old enough to pop down there without us if we’re with the younger ones for a few minutes and it works out well.

I had called to Speak to reservations to doublecheck that that request was noted and I decided to ask about how the room layouts were on the floor in relation to the lounge. They told me The lounge is located on the seventh floor and my room could be anywhere on floors one through five! What?? I was shocked! You mean we can be 6 floors away from the lounge?? This seems obsurd to me. We’re paying a lot of money for the convenience of proximity and comfortability to the lounge. I feel like they should disclose this upon booking! Like I mentioned, our oldest would pop down there but I would never feel comfortable sending them in an elevator any amount of floors without us. One floor where they could walk the stairs (like at POLY is ok). I feel disappointed that I planned this for almost a year and the trip is relatively soon and feel like canceling.

Has anyone had this experience? Am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary? I feel like it will change the whole conjecture of the trip and the point is to utilize the lounge and relax. Thoughts?

So Club Level isn't really a level? I did not know that. Never stayed CL before.
It can be deceiving... it’s technically the “level” of room you’re booking I believe. But at Poly or GF the lounge is on a middle floor and rooms on that floor, and one floor above and below have access. That seems acceptable.. but 6? I just don’t get it

I don’t consider it a big deal to be on a different level than the lounge. My dh and I have stayed in the garden suites at BWI which are not only on a different level, but also required going outdoors.
If my kids were at an age/maturity level where I wasn’t comfortable with them riding elevators on their own, I also wouldn’t be ok with them going to the lounge on their own, so that wouldn’t be a factor for me either.

But this is about YOUR vacation and comfort level, so if it’s not what you want, maybe you could change to two “regular” club level rooms?

Hi... I booked our upcoming WL Club level delux room almost a year ago.. the Pickens were slim even then. I’ve always wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time and we’ve stayed CL at other resorts many times but this is our 1st time at WL. Having 4 kids, we usually request as close to the lounge as possible. Our oldest kids are old enough to pop down there without us if we’re with the younger ones for a few minutes and it works out well.

I had called to Speak to reservations to doublecheck that that request was noted and I decided to ask about how the room layouts were on the floor in relation to the lounge. They told me The lounge is located on the seventh floor and my room could be anywhere on floors one through five! What?? I was shocked! You mean we can be 6 floors away from the lounge?? This seems obsurd to me. We’re paying a lot of money for the convenience of proximity and comfortability to the lounge. I feel like they should disclose this upon booking! Like I mentioned, our oldest would pop down there but I would never feel comfortable sending them in an elevator any amount of floors without us. One floor where they could walk the stairs (like at POLY is ok). I feel disappointed that I planned this for almost a year and the trip is relatively soon and feel like canceling.

Has anyone had this experience? Am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary? I feel like it will change the whole conjecture of the trip and the point is to utilize the lounge and relax. Thoughts?

What you were told is accurate - the Deluxe Rooms at WL are not on the 7th floor (CL floor). We stayed in one back in late 2016, right when the new lounge had just opened. Here are my posts from the time, which might help: WL Deluxe Room-Nov 2016

A guest would never know this and it's only obvious for those of us who follow this stuff closely, but Disney uses the term "Deluxe Room - Club Level Access" as the room category name. The "Club Level Access" part is most often (but not always) used in Disney room category speak for situations like this - a special/not common room type that isn't on the same floor as the CL floor/lounge. You see similar uses at some of the other resorts as well.

I'm not going to lie, for the the way we like to use the CL lounge, we did find the distance to the lounge from the Deluxe Rooms a bit bothersome. Trip killer? No, we just adjusted. But we didn't walk away totally in love with the room and room location.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

On the plus side, in my opinion WL CL ranks pretty high among the CLs for food offerings, and the lounge space is really great.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
I don’t consider it a big deal to be on a different level than the lounge. My dh and I have stayed in the garden suites at BWI which are not only on a different level, but also required going outdoors.
If my kids were at an age/maturity level where I wasn’t comfortable with them riding elevators on their own, I also wouldn’t be ok with them going to the lounge on their own, so that wouldn’t be a factor for me either.

But this is about YOUR vacation and comfort level, so if it’s not what you want, maybe you could change to two “regular” club level rooms?
At 11 and 13 I feel they’re inbetween the age of being able to head down to the lounge and wait for us and being able to ride up potentially 6 floors on an elevator. Maybe I’m just being overprotective but I’d worry too much.

They did try but nothing is available ... I’d be open to it though.

What you were told is accurate - the Deluxe Rooms at WL are not on the 7th floor (CL floor). We stayed in one back in late 2016, right when the new lounge had just opened. Here are my posts from the time, which might help: WL Deluxe Room-Nov 2016

A guests would never know this and it's only obvious for those of us who follow this stuff closely, but Disney uses the term "Deluxe Room - Club Level Access" as the room category name. The "Club Level Access" part is most often used in Disney room category speak for situations like this - a special/not common room type that isn't on the same floor as the CL floor/lounge. You see similar uses at some of the other resorts as well.

I'm not going to lie, for the the way we like to use the CL lounge, we did find the distance to the lounge from the Deluxe Rooms a bit bothersome. Trip killer? No, we just adjusted. But we didn't walk away totally in love with the room and room location.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

On the plus side, in my opinion WL CL ranks pretty high among the CLs for food offerings, and the lounge space is really great.

I'm happy to answer any questions.
Thanks for replying! That’s actually exactly the kind of input I’d want to hear if that’s how you felt! I will read your thread! I’m wondering if I should cancel this year and try booking for next year... 2 studios. The CM mentioned that there aren’t many rooms actually ON the 7th floor. Do you remember any information about that in particular? Wondering what the likelihood would be of even requesting 2 studios on the same floor up there.

This sounds like a tough situation. I bet every parent has a different sense of how old (and mature) their kids would need to be to go to a lounge on another floor to grab a bite.

It sounds like your family has gone club level before, and that your older kids have been allowed to go to the (close) lounge themselves. Maybe this trip, to deal with this problem, you could tell them this is an opportunity to demonstrate their responsibility? Sell it as a special privilege that you trust them to follow any rules you set and go to the further lounge? Maybe they always have to go together, they always need to let you know when they leave/return, they shouldn’t go below whatever floor your room is on (so no lobby/busy areas alone), they need to return within 10 minutes (or whatever time limit you set)...? I really don’t blame you for feeling disappointed with the situation, but it could be a great learning experience for you and your kids to gain a bit more independence, if that’s something that will work for all of you.

This sounds like a tough situation. I bet every parent has a different sense of how old (and mature) their kids would need to be to go to a lounge on another floor to grab a bite.

It sounds like your family has gone club level before, and that your older kids have been allowed to go to the (close) lounge themselves. Maybe this trip, to deal with this problem, you could tell them this is an opportunity to demonstrate their responsibility? Sell it as a special privilege that you trust them to follow any rules you set and go to the further lounge? Maybe they always have to go together, they always need to let you know when they leave/return, they shouldn’t go below whatever floor your room is on (so no lobby/busy areas alone), they need to return within 10 minutes (or whatever time limit you set)...? I really don’t blame you for feeling disappointed with the situation, but it could be a great learning experience for you and your kids to gain a bit more independence, if that’s something that will work for all of you.
I love everything about this post!! I really do!! The problem is that I trust THEM! I don’t trust all the crazy sickos in the world.

I should also reiterate my thought about “should we splurge” on the CL if it’s not what we thought? We’re die hard CL lovers... BW,poly, YC, BC... they’ve all been awesome!

Thanks for replying! That’s actually exactly the kind of input I’d want to hear if that’s how you felt! I will read your thread! I’m wondering if I should cancel this year and try booking for next year... 2 studios. The CM mentioned that there aren’t many rooms actually ON the 7th floor. Do you remember any information about that in particular? Wondering what the likelihood would be of even requesting 2 studios on the same floor up there.

Yeah, WL has the smallest CL room count of any other resort, but a lot. The room count was effectively cut in half when they recently converted half the the building to DVC.

This floorplan is a rough layout of the 7th floor. The blue outline is the lounge and those rooms on the top wing are the CL rooms. The bottom wing is all DVC now. So yes, it’s relatively small room count.

WL 7th Floor.jpeg

For our style, we particularly enjoy the convenience of the Poly CL building and being steps from the lounge from any room. Staying in a Deluxe Room at WL is a ‘different’ CL experience in some respects - you don’t get quite that same “convenience” as Poly. If Poly’s CL building/setup is your gold standard, I’m a bit worried you might not be happy with WL. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just different.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, WL has the smallest CL room count of any other resort, but a lot. The room count was effectively cut in half when they recently converted half the the building to DVC.

This floorplan is a rough layout of the 7th floor. The blue outline is the lounge and those rooms on the top wing are the CL rooms. The bottom wing is all DVC now. So yes, it’s relatively small room count.

View attachment 363607

For our style, we particularly enjoy the convenience of the Poly CL building and being steps from the lounge from any room. Staying in a Deluxe Room at WL is a ‘different’ CL experience in some respects - you don’t get quite that same “convenience” as Poly. If Poly’s CL building/setup is your gold standard, I’m a bit worried you might not be happy with WL. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just different.

Hope that helps.
It does... thank you! We stayed in a delux room earlier in the year at BW... it was fantastic! It was huge and had a gorgeous view of Crescent Lake. Same floor and all..:-). Your previous thread helped a lot too. I’m leaning towards canceling, which leaves me so sad... I’ve been anticipating this trip all year! WL at Christmas is just magical!!

At 11 and 13 I feel they’re inbetween the age of being able to head down to the lounge and wait for us and being able to ride up potentially 6 floors on an elevator. Maybe I’m just being overprotective but I’d worry too much.

Really? At 11 & 13 you wouldn’t let them ride an elevator alone? That seems pretty extreme to me. But your family, your decision.

View attachment 363607

Hope that helps.
So, you mean the greyed out section on your map is DVC? Is that on the 7th floor? What is that technically... copper creek I guess?

Really? At 11 & 13 you wouldn’t let them ride an elevator alone? That seems pretty extreme to me. But your family, your decision.
Maybe I would... it’s not necessarily “riding” the elevator that’s the problem. But I wouldn’t know how comfortable I’d be until I was there... and yes, my family :-). If I had boys, I bet I’d feel different. I think people get in a “Disney bubble” when in property and lose track of their kids too much... but that’s me

So, you mean the greyed out section on your map is DVC? Is that on the 7th floor? What is that technically... copper creek I guess?
No the "Grayed" out section is no accessible space / roof areas from the 7th floor. Only the white rectangles (rooms) on the top section are regular hotel rooms. The row of rooms at the bottom of the image are now part of Copper Creek as you guessed correctly.

Using the same image the 10 Deluxe rooms are located at the extreme right on the North (top) wing in the "Grey" area. Look for the notch at the end of the building. There are 2 Deluxe rooms on floor 1-5, with 2 standard rooms between them. One deluxe room on each side of the North wing with 2 standard rooms between them.

This image is from Touring plans and represents the second floor. All the deluxe rooms are stacked at the end of the north wing.

Wilderness lodge deluxe rooms.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Yes, Copper Creek is the DVC section within the main WL building, but none of the DVC rooms have CL access.

I get your disappointment. Unfortunately, "Club Level Access" is the case in many of the resorts - CR, Garden Wing Suites, GF Outer Building Suites, some of the Suites and deluxe rooms at BC, etc. They all have access to the lounge, but are on different floors or, in the case of GF and CR garden wing, some rooms in completely different buildings We once stayed in an outer building suite at GF with Sugar Loaf access and never even went to the lounge (not our most cost effective trip!).

If not being able to send your kids to the lounge on their own is a deal breaker, you may want to switch. My DS is 11 and, just being the kid that he is, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending him alone at this particular time. If you would feel more comfortable all going together and it fits into your schedule, I would think about keeping the reservation. We stayed WL CL in a standard room last year (7th floor) and it was amazing. I tried and tried to get a WL CL for last December and couldn't get it. We ended up in a 1-bedroom villa in Copper Creek and it was stunning. I just ended up stocking that fridge with things we would have had in the CL lounge. WL at Christmas time is absolutely gorgeous.

If you ever want a better idea of where rooms are located at each resort, Touring Plans has a "Room View" finder which, while not always completely accurate, will typically show you where the CL rooms and suites are located.

No the "Grayed" out section is no accessible space / roof areas from the 7th floor. Only the white rectangles (rooms) on the top section are regular hotel rooms. The row of rooms at the bottom of the image are now part of Copper Creek as you guessed correctly.

Using the same image the 10 Deluxe rooms are located at the extreme right on the North (top) wing in the "Grey" area. Look for the notch at the end of the building. There are 2 Deluxe rooms on floor 1-5, with 2 standard rooms between them. One deluxe room on each side of the North wing with 2 standard rooms between them.

This image is from Touring plans and represents the second floor. All the deluxe rooms are stacked at the end of the north wing.

View attachment 363640

Dave
Yes.. I had researched Previously and saw that they were at the corners of the building. This is a great illustration. Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!