WiFi Testing Has Begun

Jerryp49

DIS Veteran
From Mouseplanet this morning :

Disneyland testing guest Wi-Fi
As Disneyland gets closer to the launch of the new MaxPass service, the Resort has been upgrading the Wi-Fi infrastructure in the theme parks, and this weekend began testing guest Wi-Fi access. The tests have been of limited duration, so don't count on being able to access the network during your next visit. If you are lucky enough to stumble across a test, Disney warns that users may experience slower-than-normal data speeds or network outages.

In-park guest Wi-Fi access is a key component of the new MaxPass program, announced in January and expected to debut this summer. MaxPass bundles the existing PhotoPass product with a still-in-development digital Fastpass tool in the Disneyland mobile application. MaxPass allows visitors to collect and redeem Fastpass tickets using the app, instead of collecting paper Fastpass tickets.

MaxPass does not allow advanced or off-property planning. It is still a same-day program, with users activating the entitlement for the day that they visit the park. They must physically be inside a theme park to collect a digital Fastpass to use the same day, although MaxPass users need not walk to their selected attraction to claim a Fastpass ticket. A MaxPass user can walk onto Main Street, U.S.A. and claim a Fastpass for Splash Mountain if they want, without ever stepping foot in Critter Country. The MaxPass app also allows users to claim a Fastpass for a ride in the other theme park, so a user in Disneyland could claim a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers (in Disney Califorina Adventure) before park-hopping.

The product also includes unlimited downloads of PhotoPass photos taken for each day that the entitlement is valid. Disney announced the introductory price will be $10 per ticket, per day. Pricing for Annual Passholders has not yet been introduced.

Reliable free wifi would be a very good side effect of MaxPass. I have a teen on a limited data plan who would be very happy if this is fully in place by our summer visit.

My biggest concern is that it will just be an open (insecure) connection. Screenshots I've seen indicate that's what they are doing for the tests. Does anyone know if WDW does anything to secure their wifi connections, or are they open as well?

Does anyone know when they plan to roll this out this summer? Can I hope this happens by August 1st? We will be visiting DL for the very first time either Aug 9-11 or Aug 13-15. We went to WDW a few weeks ago and I loved being able to book FP ahead of our trip, even if it was just three before the day of our visit. We were able to grab a total of 7-8 FPs per day while there. I am unfamiliar with the DL paper version since I never visited WDW while they had it so I am still trying to understand how it works right now. I grab a FP for a ride and come back within that window before I can grab another FP? That means I need to walk to another ride before getting that new FP, right?

My biggest concern is that it will just be an open (insecure) connection. Screenshots I've seen indicate that's what they are doing for the tests. Does anyone know if WDW does anything to secure their wifi connections, or are they open as well?

They are not secure connections.

Does anyone know when they plan to roll this out this summer? Can I hope this happens by August 1st? We will be visiting DL for the very first time either Aug 9-11 or Aug 13-15. We went to WDW a few weeks ago and I loved being able to book FP ahead of our trip, even if it was just three before the day of our visit. We were able to grab a total of 7-8 FPs per day while there. I am unfamiliar with the DL paper version since I never visited WDW while they had it so I am still trying to understand how it works right now. I grab a FP for a ride and come back within that window before I can grab another FP? That means I need to walk to another ride before getting that new FP, right?
Nobody knows at this point. You can certainly hope. I'm hoping it'll be up in three weeks when I go, but we'll see. Matterhorn opens back up in the next few days, and is expected to begin distributing FastPasses, so maybe they launch MaxPass alongside that? Literally all we know for sure is that they said it would be "later this year."

You may grab another FP either when the window on your existing ones open or two hours after you pulled it, whichever comes first. For instance: at 8:15 am, you pull a FP for Soarin', with a return time of 8:50-9:50. At 8:50, you can (and do) pull another FP. Say you get RSR with a return time of 11:20, which is more than two hours after you pulled it. You can pull your next FP, then, at 10:50, which is two hours after your last one. Note, though, that, at 10:50, you CANNOT pull another FP for RSR, because the one you're holding hasn't opened yet and you cannot hold two active FPs for the same attraction.

For reference, the time you can get another FP is printed on the ones you pull.

When we were there last week, we had wifi access screens come up intermittently on our phones, so it's definitely happening.

@Winnowill thank you very much for the details! How does this work logistically? Do I scan the paper FP in its open period so I can grab the next FP? So I walk up to Soarin' and grab a FP. Then do I have to walk to RSR at 8:50am so I can grab a FP for that ride before I get on Soarin'?

@Winnowill thank you very much for the details! How does this work logistically? Do I scan the paper FP in its open period so I can grab the next FP? So I walk up to Soarin' and grab a FP. Then do I have to walk to RSR at 8:50am so I can grab a FP for that ride before I get on Soarin'?
Once the clock hits the time that window opens, you can get another. No need to scan anything or walk to the attraction where you are redeeming your prior FP.

Once the clock hits the time that window opens, you can get another. No need to scan anything or walk to the attraction where you are redeeming your prior FP.
To be clear, at 8:50, you would walk to where RSR fastpasses are being distributed, pull it, then go use your Soarin' FP at Soarin'.

Can someone confirm...based on this, you can get a RSR fast pass while in Disneyland, AS LONG AS your Fastpass window has (re)opened? Meaning, you won't have to physically walk over, but that the systems will be connected - as previously announced.

Can someone confirm...based on this, you can get a RSR fast pass while in Disneyland, AS LONG AS your Fastpass window has (re)opened? Meaning, you won't have to physically walk over, but that the systems will be connected - as previously announced.

Correct

I wonder how they will allow people to buy MaxPass when they have already purchased tickets... me for example. We are going in June for ONE day (plan to hit California Adventure), I have already purchased our tickets, how can I buy MaxPass as well? Will I need to stand in line with the people trying to buy tickets (between CA and DL), or is it an online portal I can use my CC to activate? If I have to wait in line before even entering the park, I will be upset because I buy our tickets online to not have to wait in that line before ever entering the park, you know? I am on the fence as to if I hope this launches before we go in June...

Honestly, I don't think anyone can confirm this since MaxPass is not in operation.

Why else would they have connected the two park FP systems?
To cut down on the number of FP a person collects? To make it fairer to those who do not have park hoppers? Only THEY know for sure. But until MaxPass is rolled out it is in impossible to say for sure if you can get a FP for DCA while in DL or vice versa.

Why else would they have connected the two park FP systems?

Whatever they do usually its because they some how feel they will make more money doing it that way. With Disney its always about the dollars, always.

To cut down on the number of FP a person collects? To make it fairer to those who do not have park hoppers? Only THEY know for sure. But until MaxPass is rolled out it is in impossible to say for sure if you can get a FP for DCA while in DL or vice versa.

The article stated that one WOULD BE ABLE TO get a DCA fast pass while in DL. My question was concerning if you could still hold one from each park at the same time. My guess was that no you can't- as the systems are now connected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter