Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies! - A Dec. 2013 TR *Completed

Oh dear. It's been 17 days since I last updated this trip report. That's just shameful.

I thought about apologizing for taking so long to post anything new, but to be perfectly honest, I don't feel too bad. We've all been on the boards long enough to know that life gets in the way, sometimes, and that the DIS has to be placed on the back burner.

The month of July has been really hectic for my family. We've had lots to do, houses to be moved out of, lots of important family time to take, and some unexpected purchases to make. Any free time I've gotten, I wasn't willing to use on writing. Whoops.:confused3

And then, as most of you guys know, Alex has officially left, and Landon hasn't been taking it well, so we're still in that adjustment period. Plus, once again, I wasn't up for talking about reliving our happy Disney memories. I was afraid I'd be too tired or sad to appropriately portray the memories. So stepping back from the DIS for those few weeks was very helpful. Thanks to everyone who understands the need for a DIS break. :goodvibes

However! While I was on my mini-hiatus, Alex and I did encounter something incredibly cool. We were spending one of his last weekends free in Destin, a major tourist city about 25 minutes away from us. Normally, we avoid the place like the plague during the summer, because it's basically full of out of towners who can't drive and handle the insanity of Highway 98. But, we made an exception in the spirit of getting away for the day.

A major shopping complex had just opened up a new section, so we figured we'd check it out and see how it fit in with all the other retailers/restaurants.

We had just finished lunch and were standing outside on the sidewalk, when this woman walks up to us and asked us a question.
My back was to her, so I couldn't quite hear her, but I heard Alex go, "Yes, we are!"

I concentrated on what I thought she'd said and suddenly realized she'd asked us if we were on the DIS boards!!!

YES! Yes, we are!

Jackie1284 had recognized Landon's blue glasses floating around the trip report pages and her husband convinced her to come over and say hello!

How cool!

:cool1:

Turns out, she's a local, like me, and we read some of the same reports. (We totally named dropped you, Rob.)

She was so extremely nice, and we carried on a brief conversation about how many times her soon to be 3 year old son has visited Disney, and how funny it is when CMs try and hand us First Visit buttons.

And, of course, I had to get a picture to memorialize the moment.

Thank you so, so, so much Jackie1284 for coming up and say hi to us. Having a DISmeet in WDW is awesome, but having one in your town is spectacular! It made our day; Alex and I kept mentioning it the rest of the afternoon. It really goes to show you how small the DIS universe can be, and it's great to know there's a fellow DIS mom living nearby.

I can't say much else topped that day. (Although the Twice Upon a Year sale at the Disney outlets came close.)

Now, to continue on with the December trip. (FINALLY, right?)

Friday, December 6th, 2013:

Friday morning...Yikes! It was already Friday. Where was the week going? We had finally entered that dreaded time frame of the trip where we were working on the last half of our vacation, not the first part anymore.

The end was nearing!

:sad:

But not for another 3 days. We still had 3 whole Disney days to focus on.

No need to think about the depressing departure day just yet.

That morning, my group was visiting the wonderful Animal Kingdom. I was pretty excited about this, because while the stuff inside the park isn't my favorite, the theme and look of AK is.

If that makes sense.

There's just something about the colors and details and look of Animal Kingdom that really appeals to me. I feel like when I go to AK, I can take a slower pace and concentrate more on the work the Imagineers put into the place, more so than at other locations.
I'm kind of obsessed with collecting various souvenirs from AK due to that, so if a stranger ever saw my pin board or Disney attire, they'd believe they knew my favorite Disney park.

It's a bit confusing, but that's how my tastes and interests work.

And because I wanted to get Landon on my side, I had him bright eyed and bushy tailed that morning.

He had his safari hat on and was ready to see some giraffes! (While his mother was standing shame faced nearby; she hadn't brought any animal-related outfits for the child. Poor Disney planning...)

Alex drove us over to the park, and we landed a spot in:
The site of the great "
Post Race Lost Car Debacle." Oh, the memories...

The first thing we all saw upon getting to the entrance was the great big Christmas tree set up in AK style.

It was gorgeous!

I couldn't get enough of the animals or the masks adorning the branches. While it didn't scream "Christmas" to me, it was beautiful in its own way. To the point where I'd display that bad boy year round in my house.

It was nice to get away from the overload of reds and greens and garland and silver bells that covered the other 3 parks and get a fresh look on the holidays.
Because that's what it was. It was subtle and natural and it blended in so darn well with everything else. Can any other park achieve that better than AK?

I don't know.

Because I loved the tree so much, I had to get some pictures in front of it!

I was the only one in Animal Kingdom themed attire! And I'm married to the Disney shirt king. The man's got 5 different Epcot t-shirts, but not a one from his wife's beloved AK. That should be a crime.
:sad2:

(Get ready, Alex, you know what'll end up in a care package if I have my way.:lmao:)

Our little family... back when Landon was a piece of cake to take to Disney.

Don't worry about smiling, Landon. We're not capturing a beautiful family portrait here or anything. :rotfl:

When I felt that sufficient photos were taken, I turned my attention to the entrance sign. For some reason, I am always on a mission to capture the perfect sign photo.

Just at that park, though.

I guess because it's such a simple thing to photograph, and yet I usually end up with people's head in the way, or it's crooked, or out of focus. I don't have much luck, normally.

But not that morning!

Ye-Oh, wait, there's the obligatory stranger standing in right in the middle.

Maybe next time!

(I have actually not looked at any of my May photos, so I have no idea if I nailed it then or not. We'll have to wait and see!)

The first order of business was of course...

The Baby Care Center.
:rolleyes:

The life of Disney parents, ya'll. It's real exciting.

I got excited when we parked the stroller, because I saw something that reminded me of Mary Ellen's girl's trip. This little beauty:

I don't think I'd ever have noticed it if not for those ladies.

Once inside, Alex and I underwent a bit of baby care center lovesickness.

Hands down, the AK baby center is the best one of them all. It's the Cadillac of changing table rooms. The Four Seasons of highchair land. The porterhouse steak of quiet playrooms.

First off, there were three massive rooms with plenty of open space and colorful artwork. And there were twice as many changing tables as the other centers, and two huge private rooms with changing tables in them.

Alex and I were seriously in love. We could've have hung out there all morning.

AK might not have enough attractions to entertain the adults, but Disney really catered to the littles. Those guys have their own private park right inside those walls.

And the Cast Member working was so friendly and sweet natured. Her and my mother struck up a conversation while Alex and I were doing the parent thing and getting the baby squared away. Nobody else was in the rooms at that hour, and she CM almost didn't want us to leave. She enjoyed the company.

And while normally I wouldn't have minded getting to know a Cast Member better, we had Fastpasses to use and a park to explore. No time to waste!

Although, as we were getting our stroller, another Cast Member walked up - a lovely gentleman- and noticed a giant cricket hanging out on the wall.

Well, we came to the conclusion it was a cricket. There was a brief discussion among all of us over what it was, because it looked pretty exotic and unique. It was hilarious hearing us discuss the possibilities.

Finally, the male Cast Member threw up his hands and went, "Whatever animal it is, he's playing hooky from work! He needs to get back over to It's Tough to be a Bug!"

Retelling the story, it sounds silly and sort of lame, but at the time it was really funny. Just having such a good natured CM that could crack a joke like that was awesome. Both the people we were speaking with exuded a great love for Disney. You could tell they were two people who loved their jobs and loved talking Disney.

It's such a treat to run into those kind of people on your trip.

Continued in Next Post:

Last edited:
Continued From Previous Post:

Everyone in my party did eventually break away from the center and began making our way over to Africa.

Every time I pass by this giraffe, I have to stop and proclaim, "I love that statue!"

It's like a rite of passage for me.
(Seems to be a lot of those in AK. Hmm.)

Like always, I became amazed at the details around me:

Rust on the sign posts. Who would've have ever thought of that? Rust!

Brilliant. ::yes::

Pretty soon, we were scanning our MagicBands here:

At the best/worst queue line ever.

On one hand, I want to kiss the designers of KS for allowing strollers throughout most of the wait.

But on the other hand...

It's all outside around trees that leave the air so thick you can practically see the humidity in front of you.

Talk about a love/hate relationship.

Luckily, with our Fastpass reservations, we all pretty much walked through the queue with little wait. On board our 2 week safari, Landon was unimpressed with the whole scenario.

That was fine. More opportunity for me to look.

One of the hippos was catching some sun out of the water:

The giraffes were hanging out near the roads, as usual.

Reach, little giraffe in the back, reach! Beautiful posing, Giraffe. Just beautiful.

Eventually, the elephants, with their floppy ears were too much for Landon to ignore. He really got a kick out of them.

And that was about it for our safari. Wasn't bad, but also wasn't anything to write home about.

By that point, another certain set of Fastpasses were coming due, so it was time to make our way over to Asia.

I read somewhere the other day that this shrine is meant to resemble the EE mountain in terms of shape and outline.

What?!

How have I never known this? Mind blown a little bit.

Alex and I paused to get a few more Photopass pictures of us together, and I'm so glad we did. They ended up being some of the best we took!

Continuing on...

Almost there!

My mom walked with us up to the entrance so we could get a Rider Swap from the working CM, then went to find a shaded seat with the baby.

Alex and I rode Everest twice and both times we requested front row. Because really...front row if THE BEST.

The first time around, Alex told me to hold my hands up. The second time around, I actually videotaped our point of view up to the backwards drop, and I really enjoy going back and watching it on a rainy day. I didn't do too shabby.

But because I was distracted, I forgot at the last second to put my hands up, so I ended up doing what Alex refers to as my "raise the roof move."

He got a good long laugh in when he saw our photo. (Which took longer to obtain then the ride itself took, due to the CMs beginning the implementation of scanning cards with an IPAD. New program at the time and even newer Cast Members. Required a lot of patience.)

Our coaster fix not quite quenched but definitely satisfied for the morning, Alex and I rejoined my mom and Landon and got ready for our next order of business. That which will be written about in my next update. One that most certainly won't be a month in the making. :rolleyes:

Up next: I'll Have to Work, so I Don't Care About Christmas.

Last edited:
I just binge-read your report. Great fun!!

Two thoughts:
1. I am wondering if that was the Ariel that Landon met in the Grotto and she had told others about him and that is why Eric seemed to recognize him and was trying to tell Ariel.

2. I totally get your love for the Osborne Lights. We have seasonal passes and the lights are what make the expense totally worth it. It is my absolute most favorite thing in all of Disney! I am not too mushy but great teary-eyed every time. I love it sooo much.

Ah, 17 days is nothing! Stuff happens. Sorry that Landon isn’t adapting to his Daddy’s absence very well. That’s awesome that you had a DIS-meet like that!

Who needs an animal-related outfit when you have a safari hat? :confused3

Huh, I’d sure never noticed the “Animal Comfort Zone” before.

That Baby Care Center is really nice. And even moreso when staffed by awesome CMs!

Yep, that AK statue can be lined up with the mountain for photos. :thumbsup2

Aw, those are some nice Photopass pics! Ha ha, nice Everest riding photo! :rotfl2:

YAY UPDATE! :cool1:

I just tried to respond to your post on my TR and I lost the whole dang thing. Boo! And now I'm so tired I'm going to bed. I've got to save your read for tomorrow when I can really concentrate, but glad to see you're posting again. :thumbsup2

Just wanted to add that I know it must be very tough for you with Alex gone. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't feel much like DISing. I'm so glad you are sticking with it! Yay! :thumbsup2

How cool that you went to Destin and ended up having a DISmeet. That is seriously cool!

I'll be thinking of you and Alex often during this period of separation. I hope the time flies!

Awww, poor Landon.

You were recognized, awesome! Isn't it the coolest feeling?

OMG, I remember the Post Race Lost Car Debacle!

I think you just need to buy Alex an Animal Kingdom shirt, stat!

Is that lady in the middle of your picture like "oh wait....let me take a selfie?" That's totally what she looks like.

I'm definitely a fan of the back seat on Everest. However, I'm a huge fan of the back seat on all coasters, because it's just faster and more intense for me. :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness, that brought a tear to my eye Alicia (had lots of that over the past couple of days). Having just arrived back after my little mini vacation away and feeling tremendously sad; to read about this unbelievably random DISmeet AND feel a part of it in a very small way just made my day!!!
Thank you so much to to lift I so desperately needed. :hug: I can't wait until we're in the World at the same and actually know it, lol.

Every time I see the Unicorn parking lot I think about the Beastly Kingdom that never was. But yay... Avatar.. :rolleyes2

I'l tell you, spending a day at Canada's Wonderland made me appreciate the unbelievable beauty and theming that Disney brings so much more.

Awwwww, lovely photopass photos in front of my Everest.

I thought about apologizing for taking so long to post anything new, but to be perfectly honest, I don’t feel too bad. We’ve all been on the boards long enough to know that life gets in the way, sometimes, and that the DIS has to be placed on the back burner.
::yes::

And, of course, I had to get a picture to memorialize the moment:
:thumbsup2 Nice surprise. Definitely a treat to meet someone so close to home.

We had finally entered that dreaded time frame of the trip where we were working on the last half of our vacation, not the first part anymore.
I try not to think about that, but it always creeps into the back of my mind after the halfway point of the trip... :faint:

I was pretty excited about this, because while the stuff inside the park isn’t my favorite, the theme and look of AK is.

If that makes sense.
::yes:: I would tend to agree with that statement. Even though the theme and look just isn't enough to get me to spend a ton of time there. :rotfl2:

I was the only one in Animal Kingdom themed attire! And I’m married to the Disney shirt king. The man’s got 5 different Epcot tshirts, but not a one from his wife’s beloved AK. That should be a crime.
You can never have too many EPCOT shirts. :thumbsup2

Our little family…back when Landon was a piece of cake to take to Disney.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Cherish it!

Retelling the story, it sounds silly and sort of lame, but at the time it was really funny. Just having such a good natured CM that could crack a joke like that was awesome. Both the people we were speaking with exuded a great love for Disney. You could tell they were two people who loved their jobs and loved talking Disney.
It is the CM's like that who make the Disney World what it is. :goodvibes

Rust on the sign posts. Who would’ve have ever thought of that? Rust!

Brilliant.
Easy to maintain, also! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

I read somewhere the other day that this shrine is meant to resemble the EE mountain in terms of shape and outline.

What?!

How have I never known this?

Mind blown a little bit.
:eek: :faint:

The first time around, Alex told me to hold my hands up.

Clearly, I listened well.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Looks like you had a death grip on the lap bar.

One that most certainly won’t be a month in the making. :rolleyes:
And if it does take a month, that's fine. :confused3 :thumbsup2

Actually back to read the update, as promised.

:rotfl2: to the doggie sign! Actually two signs! No mistake there! :rotfl2:

So I learned something today. I did not know that the AK had the BEST baby care center. I store that in the memory bank! I guess because it was the last park built and probably during that time where there was a big push to give woman private areas for nursing, ext.

yay for Safari, although Landon looks very unimpressed!

Great pics from EE. You guys look like you are having too much fun!

I am a big fan of the EE tree as well. Very subtle holiday theme, yet SO perfect!

Yay for the DIS meet in Destin! That is super cool! When someone recognized me at MK in June- I was the same way.. Couldn't stop talking about it! Ha!!

Love the Christmas tree! If we weren't going in Feb/March with our friends, I'd definitely be planning a Dec trip but maybe 2016! I know the older our children get- the less ill be able to pull them out of school and we will have to go in Dec/spring break or summer... :(

Love the pics of just you and Alex!!

I'm sorry Landon isnt doing well.. My DH had to work out of town for 2.5 years and only came home on weekends.. Lawson was 3 and Landen was brand new... Though it's definitely not the same as you, I can relate on how tough it is. :/ hang in there, mama- you're doing a great job.

Hey Alicia! I loved reading this post and reliving our dismeet :) it really was special meeting y'all and it made my day too. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband being deployed. Please let me know if there's anything I can do since I am so close. I really would love to help if I can!

I just binge-read your report. Great fun!!

Two thoughts:
1. I am wondering if that was the Ariel that Landon met in the Grotto and she had told others about him and that is why Eric seemed to recognize him and was trying to tell Ariel.

2. I totally get your love for the Osborne Lights. We have seasonal passes and the lights are what make the expense totally worth it. It is my absolute most favorite thing in all of Disney! I am not too mushy but great teary-eyed every time. I love it sooo much.

Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

That is a possibility. Those glasses are pretty noteworthy.

The Osbourne Lights are brilliant. It's a great mix of new technology and traditional holiday songs; something I hate to think they'll ever do away with.

Ah, 17 days is nothing! Stuff happens. Sorry that Landon isn’t adapting to his Daddy’s absence very well. That’s awesome that you had a DIS-meet like that!

Who needs an animal-related outfit when you have a safari hat? :confused3

Huh, I’d sure never noticed the “Animal Comfort Zone” before.

That Baby Care Center is really nice. And even moreso when staffed by awesome CMs!

Yep, that AK statue can be lined up with the mountain for photos. :thumbsup2

Aw, those are some nice Photopass pics! Ha ha, nice Everest riding photo! :rotfl2:

It was really cool to meet a DISer here at home. It still amazex me that we just happened to be in the same place at the same time.

I love that Baby Center! I wish all the parks had ones as nice as that one. There was just so much more room to accommodate the crowds.

YAY UPDATE! :cool1:

I just tried to respond to your post on my TR and I lost the whole dang thing. Boo! And now I'm so tired I'm going to bed. I've got to save your read for tomorrow when I can really concentrate, but glad to see you're posting again. :thumbsup2

Just wanted to add that I know it must be very tough for you with Alex gone. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't feel much like DISing. I'm so glad you are sticking with it! Yay! :thumbsup2

How cool that you went to Destin and ended up having a DISmeet. That is seriously cool!

I'll be thinking of you and Alex often during this period of separation. I hope the time flies!

I hate when I lose a reply. I actually lost a few a couple weeks ago, because I was boring a laptop and couldn't figure out the mechanics completely, so I understand your frustration. You just have to step away for awhile.:rotfl:

Thank you. Landon's starting to get into a new routine and is settling in a little more. We are all keeping busy in order to make the time go by faster!::yes::

Awww, poor Landon.

You were recognized, awesome! Isn't it the coolest feeling?

OMG, I remember the Post Race Lost Car Debacle!

I think you just need to buy Alex an Animal Kingdom shirt, stat!

Is that lady in the middle of your picture like "oh wait....let me take a selfie?" That's totally what she looks like.

I'm definitely a fan of the back seat on Everest. However, I'm a huge fan of the back seat on all coasters, because it's just faster and more intense for me. :thumbsup2

Meeting another DISer right at home was crazy awesome. Never would have imagined that happening ever.

I agree; Alex needs a new shirt!

Haha, she probably was taking a selfie. And by the looks of it not doing so well.:rotfl2:

I think people are either front seat or back seat fans. One or the other. The back seat tends to give me a headache, but I know it's great for a lot of people.

Oh my goodness, that brought a tear to my eye Alicia (had lots of that over the past couple of days). Having just arrived back after my little mini vacation away and feeling tremendously sad; to read about this unbelievably random DISmeet AND feel a part of it in a very small way just made my day!!!
Thank you so much to to lift I so desperately needed. :hug: I can't wait until we're in the World at the same and actually know it, lol.

Every time I see the Unicorn parking lot I think about the Beastly Kingdom that never was. But yay... Avatar.. :rolleyes2

I'l tell you, spending a day at Canada's Wonderland made me appreciate the unbelievable beauty and theming that Disney brings so much more.

Awwwww, lovely photopass photos in front of my Everest.

I'll have you know, I read that as "Canadia's Wonderland.":rolleyes:

I wanted the Beastly Kingdom! But I'm trying to be optimistic and am holding out an opinion on Avatar until I see it for myself. Just going with the flow...

Hopefully one day we'll all realize we're in Disney at the same time and can have a DISmeet. I need to make a DISmeet Bucket List.:lmao: People I'd love to be able to say hello to while on vacation.

:thumbsup2 Nice surprise. Definitely a treat to meet someone so close to home.

You can never have too many EPCOT shirts. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Looks like you had a death grip on the lap bar.

It was a very cool meeting!
That's the story Alex always gives me whenever he buys a new shirt. :rotfl2:

I might or might not have been holding onto the lap bar. But at least I was on the coaster. Compared to pre-Alex, that wouldn't have even happened, so he better have been grateful for that progress.:rotfl:

Actually back to read the update, as promised.

:rotfl2: to the doggie sign! Actually two signs! No mistake there! :rotfl2:

So I learned something today. I did not know that the AK had the BEST baby care center. I store that in the memory bank! I guess because it was the last park built and probably during that time where there was a big push to give woman private areas for nursing, ext.

yay for Safari, although Landon looks very unimpressed!

Great pics from EE. You guys look like you are having too much fun!

I am a big fan of the EE tree as well. Very subtle holiday theme, yet SO perfect!

Landon was definitely uninterested in the safari. I guess he did not want to stare at all those animals off in the distance when he had a dog at home he could touch and grab.:rotfl:

I'm sure that's the reasoning behind the baby center, but either way, it was fabulous. Even now, I am just the tiniest bit less stressed out going into AK with Landon, knowing there's a room he could decompress inside.

Yay for the DIS meet in Destin! That is super cool! When someone recognized me at MK in June- I was the same way.. Couldn't stop talking about it! Ha!!

Love the Christmas tree! If we weren't going in Feb/March with our friends, I'd definitely be planning a Dec trip but maybe 2016! I know the older our children get- the less ill be able to pull them out of school and we will have to go in Dec/spring break or summer... :(

Love the pics of just you and Alex!!

I'm sorry Landon isnt doing well.. My DH had to work out of town for 2.5 years and only came home on weekends.. Lawson was 3 and Landen was brand new... Though it's definitely not the same as you, I can relate on how tough it is. :/ hang in there, mama- you're doing a great job.

Thanks Marcie!:goodvibes There are days where it's tough, but Landon's starting to get into a new rhythm and schedule, so it's gotten easier.

That is the downside to the kids being in school, you have to pay more attention to when they skip classes. It's hard. But I think a holiday Disney trip in 2016 is worth it.:thumbsup2:rotfl:

Hey Alicia! I loved reading this post and reliving our dismeet :) it really was special meeting y'all and it made my day too. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband being deployed. Please let me know if there's anything I can do since I am so close. I really would love to help if I can!

Oh, yay! I'm glad you read it. It was such a fun part of our day. Did your son ever get that marshmallow?:rotfl2:
Thank you. I will let you know! If my son was a little older, I'd say the two boys could hang out, but Landon just follows older kids around and tries to talk with them.:lmao: He does much better with fellow 1 year olds, but perhaps when he gets through that phase.

Oh my gosh I have so enjoyed reading this trip report! I can't wait to hear about how your trip went with your little man at 1 years old. We are going to disney world end of sept and our boys will be 4 and 1.

We have all, for different reasons, needed to take the occasional break from the Dis. We understand. :goodvibes
How awesome that you met up with Jackie1284! Impromptu Dismeets are the best!
Finally, the male Cast Member threw up his hands and went, “Whatever animal it is, he’s playing hookie from work! He needs to get back over to It’s Tough to be a Bug!”

That's so cute, not at all lame. I love when CMs say silly things like that.

I have to disagree about the best seat on EE. I vote for the back row! More speed on the drops!

Oh my gosh I have so enjoyed reading this trip report! I can't wait to hear about how your trip went with your little man at 1 years old. We are going to disney world end of sept and our boys will be 4 and 1.

Thank you for reading!
Traveling to Disney with a 1 year old is fun, because they are aware of their surroundings and can react to things they like/dislike. I will say, though, be sure to have plenty of patience and go with the flow. You can never predict what kind of mood the baby will be in or what they will enjoy doing. Landon's favorite thing at 13 months?

The room.
:confused3:rotfl2:

We have all, for different reasons, needed to take the occasional break from the Dis. We understand. :goodvibes
How awesome that you met up with Jackie1284! Impromptu Dismeets are the best!

That's so cute, not at all lame. I love when CMs say silly things like that.

I have to disagree about the best seat on EE. I vote for the back row! More speed on the drops!

It was so incredibly cool to have a DISmeet somewhere outside of Disney World. What're the chances of that ever happening again?

I think there's two kind of coaster riders. The backseat fans and the front seat fans. Everyone's got "their spot." And hey, the more people that sit in the back, the more free room there is in the front row for me.:rotfl:

Friday, December 6th, 2013:

Coaster riding (or watching, in my mom's case) had worked up an appetite in all of us, so one of us suggested we go try and see if we could check in early to our lunch reservation.

The restaurant we were visiting was another new one for all of us; in fact, none of us had ever eaten at a Table Service location in Animal Kingdom before. It was exciting stuff!

We came upon some more spectacular design work in the park:

In all honesty, I think I could enter Animal Kingdom and never get on a single attraction or see a show. I'd have no issue walking from one end of the park to the other, checking out every square inch of the place. Perhaps if I ever go back pregnant I'll send the boys to Epcot and take a day for myself. Ideas..

Our lunch for the day was at:

Yak & Yeti.

Boma was my dining pick, Crystal Palace my mom's, and Yak & Yeti's was Alex's. He specifically requested we try this place out, and so I made sure to plan our park day around a convenient lunch time. He'd seen those wontons on the dessert menu and was dying to try some for himself!

My mom was in charge of P.I.T.A. that morning.

That darn bag.

It looks bigger than on the beginning of the trip.

Doesn't it?

I think it was.

:rolleyes2

It grew and grew the longer we stayed in Disney.

I hated that thing...

Since we were about twenty minutes early, we did have to wait awhile for an open table. Landon appreciated that, though.

Gave him a chance to catch up on all that sleep he'd passed up on the night before.:rotfl2:

Alex was in charge of guarding the boy while I took some pictures of the amazing lobby.

The entire building was covered in gorgeous artifacts and had that mismatched feel of a well-worn in watering hole.

None of the chairs at tables were of the same shape and make, and the lights were a scattering of lamps, lanterns, bare bulbs. Nothing was a set, but it worked for the restaurant. Gave the place a very homey feel. I go to a local café where I live with some friends, and it's very mom and pop shop-like, and that's sort of what Yak & Yeti was trying to be. The vibe was, this place is visited often, and for an hour or so, you can pretend you're a frequent customer too. Just come on in, sit down, and order your favorite dish.

As far as theming goes, I loved it. I didn't even get to see half the items on display, since the building itself was so big. Too many sights, not enough time!

When our name was called, we were taken up to the second floor via the elevator (Landon was still asleep in the stroller) and placed at a table right across from the doors. While it was sort of distracting having guests walk past us throughout our whole meal, there was more space behind us, so the stroller wasn't crammed into a corner. Advantages and disadvantages...

Before long, our server came to get our drink order. Almost right away, he explained to us that he was swamped and apologized in advance if our orders took a long time to arrive. His words were along the lines of, "I'm working my butt off today, so things might be slow. If you guys could be patient with me, that'd be great."

Uhmmm, all right?

It was certainly a blunt and straight forward introduction.
"Hi, my service is probably going to suck today due to other rude guests, but don't let that affect my tip, please."

Let's see, what to eat, what to eat...

Alex's issue was there were several entree items he was willing to try.

A big rarity for him.

BIG RARITY.

Normally, he ends up with a burger or a steak or a chicken, simply because he's not an adventurous eater. So for him to have actual choices was a noteworthy event.

The final decision?

Well, I got the "mountain water" specialty drink.

To which I was made to feel properly guilty, because our server had to go downstairs to the bar to prepare it.

::yes::

Not kidding. The guy was legitimately trying to talk me out of getting it.

I was on the fence about getting it, but when someone tries to convince me out of something simply because it would make their life easier...well, I wanted to do it for the principle of the matter.

Passive aggressive Alicia, at your service.

Alex picked the beef and broccoli dish:

We're sort of flank steak snobs; we cook it at home and love the marinade we concocted for it, so ordering one comes at a high risk. It had a lot to live up to.
The good news was that it was cooked perfectly; not tough like a flank steak can be if left on the grill for too long.

I wasn't crazy about the flavor of it, but Alex was, so I classified the dish as a win.
(I completely forgot to mention that my mom had ordered pot stickers as an appetizer. Just like the flank steak, they had a lot to live up to. And while tasty, they weren't the best we've ever eaten. )

My choice was the crispy honey chicken. From what I had, the chicken was decent. But Landon had managed to wake up by that point, and he ended up getting most of my meat.

And now that Alex and I have been to the quick service Y & Y and had the chicken there, I'd say the quick service one was better. Or at the very least, on the same level as the chicken I had that day.

My mom got the bourbon chicken, because it was the closest thing to a General Tso she could find.

None of us were especially impressed with the dish. My mom ended up regretting not ordering my honey chicken.

At some point while we were eating, our server came to our table to see how everything tasted, and he began a short little conversation with us.

We commented on how busy it was and asked if that was a normal day for him. He replied with a definitive no and explained that the parks were much more crowded than expected that week. I guess we weren't the only ones taken back by the heavy influx of visitors.

Then, he goes, "I'm just doing what needs to be done 'til I get off tonight. I'm about to go on leave, and nothing in the world could make me come back."

My mom's response:

"Oh. Wow."

Alex's?

"Yeah, that'll happen."

:confused3

Then, somehow, the conversation shifted to Christmas and the holiday season, and our Negative Nancy went "Well, I'll probably be working, so I don't really care about it."

I'm really digging your Disney joy, Cast Member.

You're a ray of sunshine.

What killed me was we had watched him interact with the tables next to and around us, and he was perfectly polite to them. I guess we were giving off this vibe of, "hey, we're cool. You can relax and take off the Disney persona for a bit. Lay your issues before us. We're buds. We get it."

It was strange and a little depressing. This Cast Member CLEARLY did not like his job and with his dry, sarcastic sense of humor it made for an odd interaction.

He wasn't a bad server, he just shared more about his personal feelings and his true opinion about working for Disney than was really necessary.

As my mom said, he didn't know us from a hole in the wall. We could have worked for the company or could have worked for a rival industry, and he was just bashing his employers away. Or we could have been first time visitors whose experience was being shaped by his soap box interlude.

As it is, I'm writing this update and throwing it out there; that's bad enough. Yeesh.

Dessert time had finally arrived, and Alex and I got the infamous cream cheese wontons.

From the first bite, Alex was in a dessert heaven. He loved it. Thought it was the best food item on the menu.

Me?
I wasn't crazy about it.

Shameful, I know. I just didn't like the fried dough aspect.

Basically, the overall dish.

:lmao:

The pineapple dipped in the sauce was delicious, I'll give it that. Landon and I split both mine and Alex's serving of the fruit, but I gave most of my wontons to my husband.

Between the Tonga Toast, the Puffed French Toast, and the wontons, I have discovered that the really doughy dishes at Disney are not for me. I just prefer other things.

My mom got the chocolate cake:

And oh my goodness...THAT was a piece of cake.

It put all other pieces of cake to shame. I managed to nab a bite and instantly regretted not getting one for myself.

I want to say it was my mother's favorite dessert of the trip. It encompassed all things chocolate and was moist and made you wish for a big 'ol glass of cold milk to wash it all down.

Thankfully for me, my mom couldn't finish it, so I got a decent helping of it. And yeah, I didn't need anything chocolate again for the rest of the trip.

The rest of the month, actually.

Overall, the three (four if we took Landon's empty place mat into account) of us enjoyed our lunch. We all agreed that we'd had better food at some of our other reservations, but the break from the heat of Animal Kingdom was worth the cost of the food.

An interesting note all of us made, though.

At Yak & Yeti, the portion sizes weren't on the ginormous level as all the other places in and around WDW. Usually, we all struggle to finish our food, but Y & Y actually gave small-ish sized plates. In fact, the quick service location gave more chicken than that place did.

And for Alex, who can pack away some food, it was a little bit of a letdown. He could have easily eaten more, even with the pot stickers and the wontons.

Of course, the prices were lower than at other locations, so that did account for some of it. But even so, Alex's final consensus is that he doesn't have to return for a few years. He figured once Landon's older and can explore the décor and artifacts, we'll go back.

But definitely not some place we'll book for another five years or so.

Up Next: Wow, He Must Have Done Something Cute, Like Smile?

Last edited:
I'm the same way with Magic Kingdom. On multiple occasions I've visited and not ridden a thing, and honestly felt completely fulfilled. I could actually probably say that about Disney in general though.

“Hi, my service is probably going to suck today due to other rude guests, but don’t let that affect my tip, please.” :rotfl2: Nice reading between the lines there Alicia. :thumbsup2

Interesting comparison of the QS and TS chicken. That's good to know.

It's funny. Lots of people hate their jobs and/or the companies they work for. Yet for some reason I take it personally when it's Disney.

Wow, that is a bummer you had such a Disney-bashing server! :sad2:

Yummy desserts, though. That chocolate cake does look delicious! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter