Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!

To my knowledge - I don't think Pop takes tour groups of wild kids. They haven't been there any time that I have gone to Pop, and if they are -- I will be OUT of there.

The last time we stayed at CSR was a few years ago when it was overrun by young male soccer players. We don't think it was fair to not forewarn us that the entire resort would be overtaken by these groups. The chanting was driving us absolutely crazy! It was horrible! I will never put up with this at any resort ever again. Next time, I will request a speedy transfer! :scared1:

Let me clarify... my apologies for coming off harsh. I'm not referring to everyone who prefers to stay in deluxes but only those some of the posts I read, I should have quoted those specifically. Some folks do come off sounding snobby turning their nose up at value resorts and come off as saying they are "too good" for them. And lets be serious "concrete jungles"? and to compare them to a Super 8? Some folks even knock the moderates and the comments seem a bit stuffy to me. Hey, I agree if I could afford it I would pay to get more for my money but the values are really not as bad as some here are making them out to be.

Yeah I'm the person that said I would'nt stay in a value. I have to laugh at the "Super 8" comments. I have stayed in them many times and even.... gasp motel 6. There really not that bad. I spent 2 weeks in a Super 8 in Boise, Idaho when I was there showing horses. I have slummed it in some pretty bad hotels in Mexico and South America. I love to travel. I will pretty much stay anywhere. At Disney I need my Deluxe resort. Maybe I don't love Disney enough to sacrafice that. :confused3

I've stayed at every WDW resort including all the DVC properties except YC and love them all for different reasons. I am flexible. Sometimes the resort amenities are important to me and sometimes they aren't. We just returned from a stay in a 2-bedroom villa at OKW using our DVC points and will be staying 14 days at Pop in late August/early Sept. with the FD promo. Each will be a different experience, but not a lesser one. I say give everything a try once. If you're not sure and worried about the whole vacation, then do a split stay. Do the value resort first, then the mod or deluxe. Hope your choice is a good one for you!

That is ok more room at the inn for us. LOL But all kiding aside. We have stayed at all levels and really enjoy pop now. I know it isn't for everyone but it is for us. I won't lie some of it is financial on this end. To go every year for 11 plus days it is best for us to go the value route. We could afford a moderate this year but when it came down to it. That extra 800.00 is almost my airfare for next year.
I'm just happy we can go every year.

We stay at POFQ for one reason and one reason only: Beignets. Besides, we're among the sleep/shower/eat types that are almost never at the resort. Deluxes, for us, just don't make sense - we can take the money we would have spent and make an extra mortgage payment. So as nice as the deluxes are (and they are nice), my house will be paid off by the time my kid is in 4th grade and that's nicer to me than the Grand Floridian Club Level or whatever can ever be :)

OP we save over a couple of years so that we can stay deluxe. That's the way we like to vacation. We tried ASMo once because we thought our kids would enjoy it - aside from the big icons, they didn't like it. Very small, cramped rooms, crowds of people at the food courts and long lines for the busses (and I hate riding busses). Just not for us.

LOL this thread is hilarious, sorry, but it is.

Disney values are in no way comparable to a Super 8. They are clean, efficient and offer lots of amenities - perfect for those who are there to do the parks and need somewhere welcoming to stay.

If you are into relaxing and spending a lot of time at the resort, then maybe a value isn't for you but don't judge til you've tried.

I have traveled the world and stayed in the most amazing & luxurious places, I have also 'roughed' it around the world (by choice as I like to see the real world) and seen what it is really like to be less fortunate.

It really is a blessing if you are able to make such sweeping statements and only opt for the higher bracket (financially) based purely on snobbery, many can't :)

LOL this thread is hilarious, sorry, but it is.

Disney values are in no way comparable to a Super 8. They are clean, efficient and offer lots of amenities - perfect for those who are there to do the parks and need somewhere welcoming to stay.

If you are into relaxing and spending a lot of time at the resort, then maybe a value isn't for you but don't judge til you've tried.

I have traveled the world and stayed in the most amazing & luxurious places, I have also 'roughed' it around the world (by choice as I like to see the real world) and seen what it is really like to be less fortunate.

It really is a blessing if you are able to make such sweeping statements and only opt for the higher bracket (financially) based purely on snobbery, many can't :)

I was thinking this also. First world problems, people, first world problems.

Each person has their own likes and dislikes, and staying in a resort you know you will enjoy may make your whole trip :thumbsup2. This is Walt Disney World, where part of the fun and experience of your Disney family vacation is the actual resort itself.

I prefer the moderate and deluxe resorts also BUT the value resorts are very nice, and are not like a low quality hotel off site would be. They are very nice, beautiful and clean, fun Disney Resorts too!

We stayed in a value one year, and it was fine. It was more of a place to go and sleep at night for about 6 hours and that's it. We didn't hang out at the hotel that year, so it was fine for us. Why spend all that extra money (when there is so many other things you can do with it!) for a resort to just sleep in?

Are you planning on spending a lot of time at your resort? If so, you may just want to spend the money and stay at your moderate or deluxe. If you aren't, then you may want to change resorts and save money.

It would be a neat experience to try the new AOA resort :wizard:.

I think the value resorts are all wonderful, if it weren't for them, a lot of folks wouldn't even get to enjoy WDW. This is Disney ~ Disney Imagineers put a lot of time and effort into making EACH and EVERY Disney World Resort magical and special, even the value resorts ;).

I wish you luck deciding ~ and hope you have a fun trip!

Unfortunately, Disney deluxe doesn't really work that well if you are a large family...unless you care to loose over 750 a night. :rotfl2: That is the current price of the suites in WL. Two rooms at a deluxe for rack rate runs you about the same. That is why I will be staying at a value and a moderate this year. POFQ for two rooms was 500 more than I will be paying to stay at an AOA suite in Aug. Two rooms at AKL was $2000 more than the AOA suite. Easy decision for me. I would rather upgrade our tickets and have the waterpark option and still have cash left over for nice dinners. I think if you are single, or a smaller family, the deluxe has a lot more appeal. If Hubby and I were going alone, I would totally spring for a deluxe. However, right now, in our life, traveling with 4 kids, a value makes the most sense. It is clean. They have nice pools, they are affordable, people are friendly, you still get that disney feel and helpfulness. Still get free transportation. We don't spend that much time at the resort anyway. It isn't like we are taking advantage of the spa frequently! :lmao: Values absolutely have there place. My only complaint...if I had one, is that there would be one more step. I feel like the jump from Values to Moderates is a reasonable price jump...a few hundred. However, every time I look at moderate to deluxe, the jump in price is huge. You always go to at least $1000 more. I wish there was one that had a little bit of a smaller jump in price. Then maybe I could justify it. I could get two rooms at POFQ for the same amount of time at AKL and spend a whole $1100 less! :scared1: Maybe if it was only 500 or 800 more, I would be more willing to try it out. But 1000! :laughing:

OP here, wow, I can't believe how defensive people can get about hotel rooms!!!
I don't know why so many people have to call people "snobs" if they only want to stay in deluxe hotels and don't like value hotels. Lighten up people, each one of us have a right to our own "opinions". I don't attack people for liking value hotels. I just personally think they have a certain "look" to them that makes them very unappealing. We do spend time at our resort because we don't go comando and from all the pictures I have seen the buildings just look big and plain and concrete. Remember, that is "my opinion and feelings about the resorts". If someone doesn't want to visit disney unless they can stay in a deluxe hotel, why does that make them and uppidy snob? That's just their preference and what they enjoy on "their" vacation. Wow, there's alot of uptight people in this world. To most of you who gave your advice, thanks. Think we'll stay with CSR because I don't think I will like AOA, but I am sure most of you will love it, enjoy!!!

I don't know why so many people have to call people "snobs" if they only want to stay in deluxe hotels and don't like value hotels. Lighten up people, each one of us have a right to our own "opinions". I don't attack people for liking value hotels. I just personally think they have a certain "look" to them that makes them very unappealing. We do spend time at our resort because we don't go comando and from all the pictures I have seen the buildings just look big and plain and concrete. Remember, that is "my opinion and feelings about the resorts". If someone doesn't want to visit disney unless they can stay in a deluxe hotel, why does that make them and uppidy snob? That's just their preference and what they enjoy on "their" vacation. Wow, there's alot of uptight people in this world. To most of you who gave your advice, thanks. Think we'll stay with CSR because I don't think I will like AOA, but I am sure most of you will love it, enjoy!!!

I agree with you :thumbsup2 I don't understand the defensiveness either. I don't like the values. Period. I've stayed there - not for me. Nothing wrong with that. As far as being a first world problem - or travelling to the poor parts of the world - not sure how that applies to the discussion at hand. This is a Disney message board, more specifically the resorts board - where what we do is discuss our choice of Disney hotels. By that token - any trip to Disney whatsoever - be it value or mod or deluxe - is a first world 'problem' ;)

I agree 100%, well said. I love this site, my only complaint is if you say anything remotely negative, people go nuts.

We've been to WDW twice...once we stayed at the contemporary resort. I do admit, it was kinda cool to be so close to the magic kingdom. The room was a good size, but other than that, I wasn't overly impressed.

We stayed at POP on our last trip - in 2009. LOVE it. Love the disney magic there. Of course we do have two kids...who love it too.

Like people have mentioned...it's all about your own opinions and desires...and preferences.

We had a choice...spend about $5500 and stay for 16 nights at POP (doing DDP for 14 nights), get Annual Passes, and have the opportunity to come back more in the next year. Or do 8 nights AKL Savannah view with base tickets and DDP for about the same price. For us, we'd rather stay longer. And do and see more. And have the chance to come back (which we're planning to do at Christmas time). If we chose AKL - we COULD Have afforded it, but probably not another trip or two in the next year. So it was our choice.

I feel blessed to be able to go at all...some people don't even get to go once in their lives...I have been twice to WDW and numerous times to Disneyland. I'm pretty lucky!! Even if I have to stay offsite and a cheap-o place - I'd totally do it -- just to be at Disney :hippie:

The whole "snob" thing is beyond silly.

First, simply preferring something that happens to cost more than something else doesn't automatically make you a snob. You have to be condescending and disdainful of other people to be a snob. I've seen no such behavior on this thread.

Second, people who actually are rich, elitist snobs would scoff at the very idea of going to Walt Disney World on vacation. By admitting we love Disney I'm afraid we have all revealed ourselves to be cultural rustics. Or so the real snobs would tell us.

Honestly, I think your post is much worse than the one poster who said there seem to be snobs posting. It was her opinion because a couple of posters really did sound snobby by the comments they made about values. You sound very defensive, and I don't think you need to justify anything. But, imo, when you look down at a resort by saying they look like super 8's, it can be offensive to those staying there because you're pretty much calling them cheap. Or when you say you'd never go to WDW unless you could afford to stay at a deluxe resort, you make it appear that those that stay at values can only afford values. I understand that everyone has different preferences, but I also think there's a tactful way to get your point across. And, I'm not say 'you' as in the person I quoted. I don't know exactly what you said. I'm just talking about some of the comments I've read in this thread.

**Okay, oooops, I was only referring to the very first person I saw that said snob. I didn't even read the subsequent snob comments that were a bit harsh.

Glad I could help! :thumbsup2 Enjoy your stay at CSR!! :banana:
...and I agree 100% with what you said about "each one of us have a right to our own opinions". It doesn't bother me one bit if someone doesn't care to stay at value resort and only stay at moderate or deluxe only. Whatever floats their boat! :boat: My boat.. wherever the boat takes me- whether it be value, moderate or deluxe!! Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't! :lmao: Almond Joy! or Mound!

My only problem is declarative statements about something that has never been tried! (Dont knock it until you try it!!) :lmao:

I think where people are feeling ruffled are all the comments and innuendos about how people only stay in values because of money factors. I think I have read more than once "if it was the only way to get to disney than I guess i would stay there" or "at least people who couldnt afford otherwise have a place to stay onsite also" or "if I was feeling a money crunch I would stay there" might come off as slightly demeaning. KWIM? I think the statements about 'only staying deluxe because the other resorts look like concrete jungles from photos' are stilly. Its like saying something is going to taste gross because of how it looks! That is something my 6 year old would say!!!:rotfl2:

I recently had a conversation with someone who said they were going to Disney, and I asked where they are staying. She declared they only stay at deluxe. It was truly ridiculous how she said it. I feel that there is a level of resort bullying that occurs at Disney. Some people use it as a form of keeping up with the Joneses thing I refuse to participate in.

We have stayed at all levels. My husband once declared that he would NEVER EVER stay at a value. Now that is where he prefers to stay.

I don't like statements made about something that has never been tried. I always tell my kids you cant judge something until you've tried it.

I think that the most meaningful comments are how a resort should be picked in response to what you want from your vacation. If you stay at your resort - then maybe deluxe is your thing. If you need a place to crash - maybe value is better. Who cares!

FWIW, we stay at values not because of the cost, but the fun themes. We stay at 'normal' deluxe-level resorts other times of the year at other places. I just don't like being painted with that brush that we are only there because of the cost. :goodvibes

I myself enjoy the Deluxe resorts. The AKL is the best one for the money and we've stayed their our last 5 trips. I think we're getting our upcoming trip for around $250/night which isn't overly expensive. I mean the Poly or Contemp is $400+ and the mod's are $100-175. Good in between.

If you can get over AKL's location..it's a steal.

What I like about the Deluxe resorts is that it's not overly Disney. What I mean is, it feels like you're not even at a Disney resort. Look at Grand Floridian, AKL, Contemp, Poly...there's no giant basketballs, Mickey Heads, Goofy statues etc. that are in your face.

Don't get me wrong. I love the parks and everything that goes with them. But when I come back to unwind, it's so peaceful to getaway and relax at a Deluxe compared to the rest.

Does this even make sense??

Yes, it does make sense. BUT it's also why some people love the values. I actually really enjoyed going to POP in 2010. And you know what? My daughter absolutely loved it which matters the most. I only really go to Disney for my daughter (although I love it too) but I know others go for a longer time and may choose to splurge on a moderate or deluxe resort.

Really??? I think the S/D offer rooms that are much more comfortable and deluxe than WDW 'deluxe' resorts. The beds are more comfy, the linens are much nicer and a much higher quality, and the toiletries??? Much nicer as well. You get to walk or boat to two parks. You have very nice onsite restaurants, of a much higher quality than the vast majority of WDW owned restaurants. The service is great.
I'm not sure how you qualify a deluxe WDW resort, but I have to say that the rooms at the S/D tend to be nicer than my villas at BW or BLT. If I'm not at BLT or BWV (or some other DVC resort) you can find me at either Pop or the Dolphin...love them all.

I guess it all comes down to personal experiences with the various resorts. As I said the S & D are both very nice. I actually prefer the S over the D and have heard many people state the exact opposite. :rolleyes1

I have stayed at both S & D more than half a dozen times and have stayed in resort rooms (not DVC) at all the deluxe resorts except GF. I would take all of those accommodations first if offered at the same price as a room at S or D.

Just my opinion. Which often doesn't matter to anyone but me! :cool:

Griz

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter