Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!

kandb

DIS Veteran
I want to first say, my family has never stayed in a value resort, we have stayed in only moderates and deluxes. Something about the look of the values, just makes them seem like Super 8's to me. They look like concrete jungles to me. There's no
"pretty resort" look to them. We are staying in September at CSR. We have 2 rooms since my mom is joining us. We could switch the reservation and save around $1300, if we stayed at AOA resort in 2 mermaid rooms. Part of me just wants to switch, since it's so much money but I don't know if I will like the resort. I like that "resort feeling", I get when we stay at the moderates or deluxes. Does anyone know what I mean? Is AOA going to be all concrete like the other value resorts? There are no real pictures on the website. Thanks for any suggestions/help. I realize some of you love your values and I think that's great. This is just my feelings about them.

Out of 15 trips I have always stayed at either a deluxe or moderate resort with the split being about even. I've enjoyed them very much, but this year we are going to AoA and I'm am so excited to be going there. I don't feel like it will be a lesser experience at all. It will be filled will beloved Disney/Pixar characters and I'm really looking forward to it. I think you should at least give it a try. You may really enjoy it, also.

We have stayed at Deluxe, Mod & Value. Our Favorite is WL. But we really enjoyed Pop. Reasons one bus for the resort, theming is fun, we liked the open spaces at Pop & the CS was great. I loved walking to the CS area to get my coffee in the morning while DH & the kids were getting ready.

One thing I missed was a hot tub but then again Poly didn't have a hot tub either.

Kae

I know exactly what you mean about loving the resort feeling of the deluxes. That is why I am a deluxe girl only. Can't wait for our trip this June to the YC and Aug. to the BC. You have to do what will work best for you and what will make you comfortable.

I want to first say, my family has never stayed in a value resort, we have stayed in only moderates and deluxes. Something about the look of the values, just makes them seem like Super 8's to me. They look like concrete jungles to me. There's no
"pretty resort" look to them. We are staying in September at CSR. We have 2 rooms since my mom is joining us. We could switch the reservation and save around $1300, if we stayed at AOA resort in 2 mermaid rooms. Part of me just wants to switch, since it's so much money but I don't know if I will like the resort. I like that "resort feeling", I get when we stay at the moderates or deluxes. Does anyone know what I mean? Is AOA going to be all concrete like the other value resorts? There are no real pictures on the website. Thanks for any suggestions/help. I realize some of you love your values and I think that's great. This is just my feelings about them.

Hmmmmmm.....I've never seen a Super 8 that I would actually stay at. :scared1: that being said, we have stayed at every value resort in Disney (except for AoA obviously), and we have enjoyed each and every one of our stays! The value resorts are Disney accommodations at a smaller price. You still get the same great service, cleanliness, and hospitality you'd get anywhere on Disney property. The theming is over the top, and in your face, but it's Disney...which is where you've travelled to vacation at...so you do get the total immersion at values.

I have struggled with our decision to stay deluxe this upcoming July trip. We are doing a split stay between Poly and BC. The struggle is knowing that we could spend soooooo much less and still have that magical experience. I'm doing it to find out if deluxes are "worth it" to us. We ventured into moderate territory last year and stayed at CBR, and we're pretty underwhelmed...I'm hoping that's not the case this year.

I feel that people equate cheap rates with cheap accommodations, and that has not been my experience with the value resorts...but again, this is just my opinion. :goodvibes

I believe the resort and building set up is pretty much the same in all Value Resort. I've been to ASMo, ASsp and POP. It's all about huge icons. I've seen some pics of the unfinished AoA and it is pretty much set up like any other Value Resort. With that said, in my opinion, I don't think you'll like or enjoy AoA if you said-- "...don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!"

I say.. stay with moderate or deluxe. I think you'll be much happier there and you'll never have to doubt your choice if you pick AoA. But... you never know.. you may like the the LK, LK, and other animated characters there. :)

The value resorts don't appeal to us either. We spend a lot of time in the resort and want to feel comfortable and enjoy the atmosphere. So we would look into renting points for a DVC resort or staying off site before staying in a value resort.

We've stayed at both CBR and POP. We actually prefer POP. The little extra space at CBR wasn't worth the extra cost.

I'd love to stay Deluxe...but I want to stay 10 nights...and do it every other year or so. Can't happen if we stay deluxe :(

As soon as I win the lottery, it will be deluxe all the way. lol

Amy

I have stayed deluxe twice (Grand Floridian and Poly), moderate once (CBR), and value last year (Pop). By far, my favorite has been Pop. It is a fun atmosphere, bright, colorful, happy, lively, and we loved the modern rooms. Values are nowhere near a "Super 8". I always thought I would be a deluxe "snob" after staying at the Poly 2 years ago, but that changed last year when my teens wanted to try Pop. The food court is AWESOME. Not having to share a bus with another resort is FABULOUS. Having a choice of pools is quite nice too. For us, the price for the deluxe just isn't worth it. We can get the same Disney experience and in some ways a better experience (IMO), and enjoy 2 rooms at Pop for a lot less money than 1 room at a deluxe.

I totally agree with the original poster, there is just something about the values that just turns me off. They seem like they are just like run of the mill motel rooms to me. It seems like they have a cult following, you either love them or hate them, nothing in between. The Art of Animation may be be totally different, but nobody knows just yet. We always stay at the swan dolphin, you get to stay at a deluxe for the cost of moderate, I think they have deals as low as 179 per night. In my opinion it gives you the best bang for your buck of any hotel on property. Compare that rate to any other deluxe on property, they are all at least double the cost.

I will stay at Pop. I love the yo-yos, the bowling pins, Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head, the Mickey Phone, the Big Wheel, etc.

When I lose my happy feelings for these things, I'll be in a pine box. Value resorts are wonderful. We just returned from a beautiful week at Pop yesterday. I have no regrets, just happy memories.

I love Pop!!!!! It's a clean & enjoyable VALUE!!!!! :hippie: :goodvibes

but with even AP holders only getting 30% off, i learned to love the moderate category and even stayed at ASMO in February with my brother and neice and we had a great time. We did use our own transportation and i did not like the food court (it was just crazy crowded all the time). We enjoy eating at the parks anyway so not a big deal for me. We have CSR booked for May, but i would stay at a value again in a heartbeat. :thumbsup2

I have stayed at every single WDW resort level. I can tell you we have stayed at enjoyed all the values. Like another poster, to me they are from a Super 8, in fact, if you think they are Super 8's, well I need to find the Super 8's where you stay!

There is landscaping at the values. Its not the same feel as a moderate but we have enjoyed some nice relaxing days at the value pools.

I stayed at the Poly and amazed anyone would pay the rates they charge to stay there. I enjoyed it once, I won't be returning anytime soon because to me it was not a good use of my money.

Now the moderates on the other hand, those are my cup of tea! I find them to be a great "value", a resort feel, they have a food court like the values (missed those food courts when I stayed DVC and deluxe) and you are still on property with the amenities a Super 8 could never compete with. The rooms I guess are motel like, in the same way a Disney deluxe is on par with a Marriott you'd pay hundreds less for. Its not a fair comparison to compare ANY Disney resort with ANY offsite chain.

All this said, if the way I could to go WDW was by staying at a value I'd never hesitate to stay in one again. In fact, I am sure I will. For now the moderates are a good fit for our tastes and budget. But if that changes, the values will see my business again.

Here are some pictures I took at All Star Music, not the value you are talking about but just to give you an idea that there is non concrete areas at a value!

This top one is what we walked out to each day from our room, it was very pretty! The rest are just from around the resort and the bottom one is of the quiet pool. Again, these are all Music which is what I have in photobucket, but we found the same sort of thing at Pop and the other two All Stars. Its hard to say with AOA but I am betting they will model it very similarly to the other values.

100_1303.jpg

100_1598.jpg

100_1530.jpg

100_1484.jpg

I will be shocked of AOA isn't a very nice resort. I think Pop is very nice, we have always enjoyed the lake and think the landscaping there is very nice. I actually find very little concrete, but for sure there are a lot of icons and the grounds are not as expansive as they are at the moderates. The buildings seem closer to together than at the mods. But there is lots of grass and trees and flowers to enjoy. If there wasn't I would not ever stay at one since I really enjoy the outdoors when I go to Florida!

All this said, if CBR underwhelmed you, you may be better off to stay deluxe. We just got back from CBR (our second stay there) and I can't imagine being underwhelmed but we are all different! In the end, you will be at WDW but the time and money that goes into a Disney trip should have you feeling excited and not worried about your resort choice. Maybe a cheaper deluxe such as WL or AKL or you might look into renting points to stay at a DVC. Good luck!

Been to WDW once and stayed at a value All Stars. Really enjoyed it. Maybe its cause I don't know any differnt as it was my first and only Disney hotel stay. It was clean and quiet. Staff was great. Thing I really like was either by luck or resort design but in order to grab the bus you went by the food court which was nice with the mug. The pool we used was by the food court. Our room was a quick walk to the food court.

Now that we are a party of 5 its cheaper to stay at a mod rather than a value because we need a suite.

Personally I would give it a try.

I totally agree with op. I don't think I would go to WDW if I couldn't afford deluxe. The resort is a BIG part of our vacation. We normally stay at Hiltons when we travel. I have stayed at Super 8's on road trips. Sometimes that's all that is available out in the middle of nowhere, but I certainely would not vacation at one of them. My biggest problem with the values is the size of the room. We stayed at WL and I thought those rooms were super small.

I have stayed at Pop, All Star Music, CSR, POR, WL, and the Poly. I really dont want to stay at a value unless I'm trying to save on money. I totally prefer the moderates or deluxes. It just seemed to me that the values were more crowded at the food court , the buses, and it seemed not as peaceful as the mods and deluxes that we have stayed at. The values were just ok in my opinion, of course they are better than a Super 8 :rotfl: but if you can afford something else I would go for it, if it is really important to save money then go with the value.

We love the values and just find them convenient.
AOA - if you're not really thrilled with values to begin with, another thing to consider if planning on Mermaid section is it looks pretty far from the main building/food court/buses.

Every one is going to have a different opinion on this ~ we've stayed at All Star Sports and Pop and had a great time. The rooms were small and that was the only downfall, if they (rooms) were bigger, we would have no problem going back. Having said that, I've never stayed at a moderate, but we did drive through the grounds of one of the Port Orleans and I have no desire to stay in one ~ DH and I both agreed, we would rather spend the extra money for a deluxe or just go cheap and stay at a value. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinion, and I don't really know what exactly we didn't like ~ but it just seemed so spread out and I hate the thought of having to catch a bus to get to the bus that goes to the parks.

Wow, some of you folks sure seem like snobs! I can understand spending the extra money if you are on a honeymoon or some other real special event, but for a regular vacation with the kids, The room, which I am in pretty much just to sleep, is not worth the extra cash to me. But, again, I am the kind of person that believes you are on vacation to see and experience things, Every second spent at the hotel is time wasted. I can sit in a room reading and watching TV at home. Same thing on a Cruise ship. Give me the interior room. I don't need a balcony. Every second I am awake I will be up on deck anyway.

Funny you mention Super 8's. Just like any hotel, I have seen good and bad ones, but have stayed in plenty of nice Super 8's. I saw someone mention Hilton, I have stayed in several of those, and have been very disappointed with all of them. Overpriced Super 8's.

Any hotel on the Disney property is going to be great. None of them charge by the hour or anything crazy like that. Save the money and spoil yourself with other things on your vacation.

Every one is going to have a different opinion on this ~ we've stayed at All Star Sports and Pop and had a great time. The rooms were small and that was the only downfall, if they (rooms) were bigger, we would have no problem going back. Having said that, I've never stayed at a moderate, but we did drive through the grounds of one of the Port Orleans and I have no desire to stay in one ~ DH and I both agreed, we would rather spend the extra money for a deluxe or just go cheap and stay at a value. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinion, and I don't really know what exactly we didn't like ~ but it just seemed so spread out and I hate the thought of having to catch a bus to get to the bus that goes to the parks.

I am not sure what you mean by catching a bus to catch a bus. At all of the mods except PoFQ (which only has one bus stop), you just head to the bus stop closest to your room and get on the park bus you need. You may have a few stops within the resort before heading out to the park, but you don't catch a separate bus to then go to another stop for the park busses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter