Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!

Have been lurking instead of posting, except once, and it really is hilarious really - there is as much discrimination from those that prefer values (for whatever reason) as there supposedly is from those that prefer deluxe (for whatever reason). Just the "pot calling the kettle black" back and forth. Come on folks, enjoy whichever hotel you want and don't worry about what others think. We all have differing opinions and always will. We, at this point in life, can stay where ever we want (retired empty nesters) but no one that knows us would ever call us snobs - that would be the last thing we portray, and it's obvious to anyone. We'll stay wherever we like and could care less the opinions of others - have only stayed deluxe once since '72 (our first trip) and it was with our dd at Boardwalk because she has DVC there, even though it was very nice, we still prefer our MH. So stay where you enjoy and don't give a patooty what anyone says or thinks. We usually visit and eat at a lot of the resorts while we are there and NO ONE knows if we are staying there or not - big deal - could care less :confused3 Opinions are what this is usually all about, and that is what is happening here, and I say that's great - to each his/her own. Enjoy your trips! :woohoo: What's funny is, we overheard a young girl (12ish) say on their way to Hoop -de-doo say to her parents, "You mean we have to eat at a campground?" You can see what she's being taught by her parents. What we could have said (of course, didn't - we still laugh about it) was that there are some MH's at Fort Wilderness that probably were just as nice or nicer than her home was and cost as much. We need to be careful what attitudes/entitlements about life we teach our children.

The issue with that is that the thread is titled "Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!" It's negative from the very beginning so that is probably why you see some comments regarding deluxe resorts. IMO, it's being blow way out of proportion. Yes, I think some of the comments came across as snarky, but I don't care where anyone stays. Stay where you want :).

I want to first say, my family has never stayed in a value resort, we have stayed in only moderates and deluxes. Something about the look of the values, just makes them seem like Super 8's to me. They look like concrete jungles to me. There's no
"pretty resort" look to them. We are staying in September at CSR. We have 2 rooms since my mom is joining us. We could switch the reservation and save around $1300, if we stayed at AOA resort in 2 mermaid rooms. Part of me just wants to switch, since it's so much money but I don't know if I will like the resort. I like that "resort feeling", I get when we stay at the moderates or deluxes. Does anyone know what I mean? Is AOA going to be all concrete like the other value resorts? There are no real pictures on the website. Thanks for any suggestions/help. I realize some of you love your values and I think that's great. This is just my feelings about them.

When we first started going to WDW (63 trips ago) we stayed in every deluxe then tried the moderates liking POR the best of those as Coronado is a convention resort and we did not like it at all. Did like CBR. Then we tried the All Stars and stayed in each area. Then we tried POP and we love it over there is so spread out. CM so nice and POP has best bus service of any property so far.. we thought about AOA for this fall and then decided no just going back to POP. They have several things for kids to do as well. All Star is nice and clean but so close together where POP is spread out a lot more. room size is the same and if one of the Grand kids go along we get connecting rooms so works fine for us. Food court is good and have good ice cream place as well but we really do not each in resort as we like to try all the other places around the world. Have liked all resorts but value gives us a lot more extra money to bring more collectibles home that we actually don't need:cool1: but we get the wants:thumbsup2 we are never in the room that much but we do get preffered pool view as we do like that. we swim very little as we have pool and hot tub at home so we prefer to do the parks and DTD.But that is why they have so many choices to please us all.:dance3:

I personally stay at deluxes, but most of the time we choose the swan dolphin. That way we get a deluxe for the price of a mod. I think.I get the best of both worlds.

I think you get two groups of people who stay at the values. The first group choose the values becuase its all they can afford. Sorry folks thats just a fact. The second group consists of people who choose the values because they prefer them for whatever reason and jjust dont see the value in staying at a higher end hotel, which is fine,
I can absolutely see their point. It seems to me that the values have sort of a cult following and some of those folks feel the need to defend them to the death. :) They are very polarizing, you either love them or hate them.

I think you get two groups of people who stay at the values. The first group choose the values becuase its all they can afford. Sorry folks thats just a fact. The second group consists of people who choose the values because they prefer them for whatever reason and jjust dont see the value in staying at a higher end hotel, which is fine,
I can absolutely see their point. It seems to me that the values have sort of a cult following and some of those folks feel the need to defend them to the death. :) They are very polarizing, you either love them or hate them.

You obviously haven't seen the threads where posters feel that the S/D are not even close to a deluxe resort, by Disney standards or any other!!! They will tell you that the S/D can't compare with the WDW deluxe resorts. I don't agree with that assessment though. I love the S/D, and stay there as often as I can.

BUT....I have to ask...why do you have such a problem accepting that some people actually like the value resorts and choose to stay there, whether they can afford a deluxe or not??? I hate the GF...would never stay there. It's pretty enough but it just isn't my particular cup of tea. What does that make me??? I'm not sure. Personally?? I am thrilled that Disney gives me so many options. And I refuse to be made to feel badly, or cheap, if I choose a value resort. Of course they have a following....each resort has it's own group of devotees....that shouldn't be an issue for anyone. You don't want to stay at a value??? Terrific. Fine by me. You won't find me casting aspersions on you for your choice.

If you are looking for opinions to help you chose, I would say go with your gut. I let us get talked into staying at Pop before our DVC stay and I was sorry that I did. For us it comes down to:
1. Bed size-I will not stay in a resort that doesn't have queen size beds
2. Resort capacity-Pop has almost 3,000 rooms and the Polynesian has almost 900 rooms. That is a lot more people on the buses, in the food areas, in the pools etc.
So if your instinct is that you would not like AOA, then stick with what you know you love or do a one or two night stay at AOA and then move to a deluxe.

I don't like the Grand Floridian either. Love Animal Kingdom Lodge. Some people hate it.

I've actually stayed at all the WDW resorts (including the Swan and Dolphin, although they are not technically Disney resorts) except the Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Fort Wilderness. (got AOA booked for one night in November before moving to DVC) There isn't one of them that I'd never stay at again. There are some that I would rather not pay for at this time.

I wouldn't stay value either. Simply because they are waaaay too large for my liking and the theming just doesn't appeal to me.

We stayed moderate (POFQ) and deluxe (WL) and while we liked the FQ very, very much. As soon as I can convince husband that we need to go again I know we will end up in the Wilderness Lodge. We just loved that place!:love:

The theme, the feel of it all, being able to take a boat to the MK. Immediate love:love:

We had tea at the GF, nice but a tad too expensive. Went for diner at the Poly, nice, just didn't like the atmosphere as much as we liked the WL. The CR doesn't work for us at all.

Eeveryone has different likes and dislikes. We like the wood, the amenities, the basic spa, the hot tubs, the massive lobby of the WL. Other may prefer the colourfullness of the values. Be my guest :)

You obviously haven't seen the threads where posters feel that the S/D are not even close to a deluxe resort, by Disney standards or any other!!! They will tell you that the S/D can't compare with the WDW deluxe resorts. I don't agree with that assessment though. I love the S/D, and stay there as often as I can.

BUT....I have to ask...why do you have such a problem accepting that some people actually like the value resorts and choose to stay there, whether they can afford a deluxe or not??? I hate the GF...would never stay there. It's pretty enough but it just isn't my particular cup of tea. What does that make me??? I'm not sure. Personally?? I am thrilled that Disney gives me so many options. And I refuse to be made to feel badly, or cheap, if I choose a value resort. Of course they have a following....each resort has it's own group of devotees....that shouldn't be an issue for anyone. You don't want to stay
at a value??? Terrific. Fine by me. You won't find me casting aspersions on you for your choice.

I dont have a problem with anybody. I was just making an observation thats all. I am not trying to offend anybody.

I prefer deluxes myself, but I do think the "concrete jungle" phraseology was amusing considering that WDW's flagship resort, the CR, is essentially a massive celebration of concrete. :goodvibes

When young we did the HI on a long weekend and that was vacation and we saved a year for that and the kids loved it. We saved for two years and a business bonus and in 1986 did MK & Epcot(all that was there) stayed at the HI and did one day each. I can afford any style vacation today but if the values had Queens I would be there and when DW and I go by ourselves it is a value, we just sleep in different beds. My daughters now have a taste of a little nicer and have done the values with their kid and when we all go we do moderate. In 2011 we did POR and that is more my style and the kids liked it but next year(2013) we will leave it up to the children because it is their vacation.

You see back in the early 80's my daughters only stayed at the HI and loved it. Yes the HI was the whole vacation, two nights and they had A POOL! Today our family does WDW one year(and from now on in what resort the kids want(and so far it looks like CBR)). The off year like this will be Myrtle Beach. But it could be a cabin on a lake or Chicago or whatever. Just a much cheaper vacation. We as a family could do anything at any cost these days.

Yes there are snobs here and who cares about the person who leaves DH home and stayes at the Poly's cheapest room for 3 nights just to say they stayed at the POLY. or The person who is at one (the same) deluxe twice a year hang what the kids want. (who is this vacation for anyway?)

Well we don't just stay where we can afford but where the grandchildren want too. If it is the value then we just get another room. In fact I was checking out OKWgrand-villa and the DGK's told me Papa "we want CBR and maybe next time the AoA looks neat!"

Stay where you are comfortable and can afford. Stay where you wish and not where you think others wish you to stay. Don't ask others and second guess your decision. You don't need my approval as you can see by my first statement we did what we could afford hang what others could do. I think a deluxe is more then twice a moderate and could stay at the mod two nights + tickets for one night alone at a deluxe. But that is my opinion and it is not my place to impose that on anyone but myself.

I don't like the Grand Floridian either. Love Animal Kingdom Lodge. Some people hate it.

I've actually stayed at all the WDW resorts (including the Swan and Dolphin, although they are not technically Disney resorts) except the Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Fort Wilderness. (got AOA booked for one night in November before moving to DVC) There isn't one of them that I'd never stay at again. There are some that I would rather not pay for at this time.
Perhaps we need to vacation together??? I love AKL..both Jambo House and Kidani. But, sadly, I find my dh isn't nearly as crazy about it as I!!! He actually said he didn't ever want to stay there again!!!

I want to first say, my family has never stayed in a value resort, we have stayed in only moderates and deluxes. Something about the look of the values, just makes them seem like Super 8's to me. They look like concrete jungles to me. There's no
"pretty resort" look to them. We are staying in September at CSR. We have 2 rooms since my mom is joining us. We could switch the reservation and save around $1300, if we stayed at AOA resort in 2 mermaid rooms. Part of me just wants to switch, since it's so much money but I don't know if I will like the resort. I like that "resort feeling", I get when we stay at the moderates or deluxes. Does anyone know what I mean? Is AOA going to be all concrete like the other value resorts? There are no real pictures on the website. Thanks for any suggestions/help. I realize some of you love your values and I think that's great. This is just my feelings about them.

If you saved the $1300, is there something special that you could do with that money while on vacation to splurge a little? That might help me make my decision!

I stayed at my first value (POP) last year and loved it. It was super clean and fun (both in the way it was decorated and the activities available to resort guests) and the cast members were top notch. I received excellent customer service from everyone with whom I interacted. All of that added to my feeling of vacationing in a place that is really special. We moved to a one-bedroom suite at Kidani Village for our second week in Disney, and that was wonderful, too. I would not trade either part of our trip.

On the other hand, I had a bad experience at Caribbean Beach Resort in 2003. My room was dirty and the cast members were indifferent. It was the Fourth of July week, so I was not able to change rooms. The CBR is themed so beautifully, that I am just now ready to give it another try. For some reason, I have a feeling that it is going to be great this time.

If money allowed, I would choose deluxe resorts more often than I do. I love everything about them. But I love POP, too. In fact, the only thing I really found myself missing at the POP last summer was a slide at the swimming pool. A little extra space in the room would have been nice, but the room was so clean and fresh that I didn't really miss those extra square feet. It's just me and my seven year old daughter travelling, so we did fine. I would have much rather been in my room at POP than a run-down room with more space.

That is the thing about AoA. You are going to have a fresh room and a staff excited about the energy of a new resort. That is GOLD in my book!

If you are ever going to try AoA, this year is the time to do it. So if there is something fun that you could do with that $1300, then yes, I would go for AoA this trip.

The lake between AoA and POP is lovely, and it will provide that resort feel. Plus, theming a resort based on Disney Animation is total magic in my book. I say go for it. And I LOVE CSR. It is one of my favorite Disney resorts in any category. But that kind of savings coupled with staying in a brand new resort is too good of an opportunity to pass up!

I used to think that I would not like it until we stayed at POP. We just loved it. Everything is basic in decor but it is still very nice. I also think that Everything POP blew the food court away at both POR and WL. Don't be afraid of the values.

I totally agree with the original poster, there is just something about the values that just turns me off. They seem like they are just like run of the mill motel rooms to me. It seems like they have a cult following, you either love them or hate them, nothing in between. The Art of Animation may be be totally different, but nobody knows just yet. We always stay at the swan dolphin, you get to stay at a deluxe for the cost of moderate, I think they have deals as low as 179 per night. In my opinion it gives you the best bang for your buck of any hotel on property. Compare that rate to any other deluxe on property, they are all at least double the cost.

The Swan is my resort of choice. However, I stayed at All Star Music in January at a great AP rate, and I liked it just fine.

I'll stay at the Swan for 7 nights pre-cruise in December. Then I'll stay at AoA in the Little Mermaid section for 2 night post-cruise. :woohoo:

I think everyone has their own little checklist of priorities for their vacation. We can't judge others based on their choices without having some context. My favorite resort is the GF and I've never stayed at a value. Some folks would call me a snob, based on the previous sentence, but that is not the case. For me the priority list looks like this:

smaller resort,
easy access to MK
sit down dining

My "must have list" is based on the following: my son has autism and when he was little, he was very sensitive to loud noises and crowds, yet he loves WDW and always showed some growth by the end of a WDW vacation.
The GF fit the bill with the monorail and boats, the smaller size property, quiet courtyard pool, relatively small number of buildings and Gasparilla's for quick dining as opposed to the overwhelming crowds, smells and choices of a food court.
It's not a "deluxe" thing as there are plenty of deluxes that don't work for us either. Wilderness Lodge? The Whispering Canyon Cafe made him cover his ears every time he crossed the lobby. Poly? The drumming from the Spirit of Aloha can really get to you after a couple of days and pool was fairly crowded. YC/BC? Never stayed there. The sand bottom of SAB would cause sensory issues for my son and it is such a big area that I was always afraid I would lose him. AKL is pretty peaceful and he likes it a lot. CSR also wasn't bad. However, for both of those the savings on the room goes towards a rental car because of the fairly lengthy bus trip to MK.
Now, DS is much older, more independent and much less sensitive, so we probably could mix it up with a trip to POFQ which everyone tells us we will love or the Swan or Dolphin. I still think the crowds, just based on capacity, at the All Stars or Pop would be too loud for him. However, if a friend asked me to recommend a place to stay with her family, I wouldn't unequivocally tell her to stay at the GF. I would ask her what her priorities are and then make a recommendation based on that.If a value---particularly AofA which looks way cool for families with young children---would suit her needs best, I would tell her to go for it!

I think everyone has their own little checklist of priorities for their vacation. We can't judge others based on their choices without having some context. My favorite resort is the GF and I've never stayed at a value. Some folks would call me a snob, based on the previous sentence, but that is not the case. For me the priority list looks like this:

Well said ... :thumbsup2
For me, the appeal of the theming is one the most important factors and the Values just dont appeal to me ... so I will not choose to stay there. For that matter, there are also a couple of deluxes that dont appeal to me either and I wont stay there either :confused3

I think which resort hotel you pick depends on what your needs and wants are.

I stay in values because I use the hotel to sleep. I am in the parks as much as I possibly can. I can afford a moderate but choose to stay value and stay longer or have more spending money.:goodvibes

I understand the "resort" feeling though. When I go to Mexico I like to go to a resort hotel (several 3-4 story buildings on property) rather than a hotel on a beach. I like the spread out feeling in Mexico, but at Disney I am the opposite! I just want to get to the parks.

smaller resort,
easy access to MK
sit down dining

My "must have list" is based on the following: my son has autism and when he was little, he was very sensitive to loud noises and crowds, yet he loves WDW and always showed some growth by the end of a WDW vacation.
The GF fit the bill with the monorail and boats, the smaller size property, quiet courtyard pool, relatively small number of buildings and Gasparilla's for quick dining as opposed to the overwhelming crowds, smells and choices of a food court.
It's not a "deluxe" thing as there are plenty of deluxes that don't work for us either. Wilderness Lodge? The Whispering Canyon Cafe made him cover his ears every time he crossed the lobby. Poly? The drumming from the Spirit of Aloha can really get to you after a couple of days and pool was fairly crowded. YC/BC? Never stayed there. The sand bottom of SAB would cause sensory issues for my son and it is such a big area that I was always afraid I would lose him. AKL is pretty peaceful and he likes it a lot. CSR also wasn't bad. However, for both of those the savings on the room goes towards a rental car because of the fairly lengthy bus trip to MK.
Now, DS is much older, more independent and much less sensitive, so we probably could mix it up with a trip to POFQ which everyone tells us we will love or the Swan or Dolphin. I still think the crowds, just based on capacity, at the All Stars or Pop would be too loud for him. However, if a friend asked me to recommend a place to stay with her family, I wouldn't unequivocally tell her to stay at the GF. I would ask her what her priorities are and then make a recommendation based on that.If a value---particularly AofA which looks way cool for families with young children---would suit her needs best, I would tell her to go for it!

I love this post, I am glad you shared your story. This is a great example of why someone may prefer one resort over another and it has nothing to do with being snobby or cheap for that matter.

See, I think this is what people have a problem with. No one has said that it's "just as good". They've said what they personally prefer. Some people don't like the deluxes. I don't, I prefer mods. I wouldn't stay at a deluxe regardless of my budget (except maybe the GF, just once). Implying that because someone chooses to stay at a value that they obviously can't afford a deluxe is a judgment. There's nothing wrong with saying that you prefer to stay in a deluxe because of what they have to offer, but when you make implications as to why others don't share your preference it's just kind of offensive.

You know this thread points out to me the problem with the internet. Statements can be taken out of context because there's nothing else to go off of.

I do sometimes feel like there are some posters who in the process of proclaiming their preferance for a certain resort level, don't realize they are coming off as snobby or with a chip on their shoulder. For sure, it happens both ways. Although I do think some of us feel the need to defend their value and moderate stays/preferances because of the comments made on here by some posters who for some reason feel the need to point out how cheesy and cheap the values are. That sort of thing (and not even talking about this thread as much as other ones I have seen on here throughout the last eight years of being on this board) will make one feel like they do have to defend themself.

In the end, if somebody doesn't want to stay at a value, they shouldn't. But I think they should also refrain from making negative statements about the values if they haven't stayed there. But that's just me.

Bottom line, I have seen people at values who no doubt could afford to stay anywhere they wanted. I have seen people with upcoming stays at deluxes post on the budget board something about their finances that seems completely contradictory to staying in a deluxe. Some people stay where they afford, some people stay where they like and some people stay where they want but can't actually afford.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that feels values are not in a Super 8 class!

I am glad the OP chose CSR, to me that seems like a very wise compromise.

The issue with that is that the thread is titled "Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!" It's negative from the very beginning so that is probably why you see some comments regarding deluxe resorts. IMO, it's being blow way out of proportion. Yes, I think some of the comments came across as snarky, but I don't care where anyone stays. Stay where you want :).

I agree with all the above. The quality of service I found in POP far exceeded the level of service I'd expect in a value property. The quality of service was close to the level of service I received in Disney deluxe hotels.

The opposite isn't true. The level of service offered by Disney deluxe hotels isn't up to the level of service typically offered by deluxe hotels. Disney realized they can charge 5* prices for the GF without having to provide the staff to guest ratio necessary to provide a 5* experience. There is a reason why the GF isn't close to being rated a 5* hotel.

A lot of people think the only right way is their way. People who stay offsite can't understand why everyone wouldn't want to pay less and get a lot more space. People who like the Disney deluxe hotels think the only reason anyone would stay at POP is if they were too poor to stay in a real hotel. People who like to stay at the POP don't understand why anyone would "waste" their vacation dollars on a more expensive hotel.

I think people need to decide their priorities and stay at a place which makes sense for them. A person who starts a thread "why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort" shouldn't even consider staying in one. They'll find more then enough reasons to be miserable. At the same time someone who's closed minded probably shouldn't be telling others how to spend their vacation dollars either.

I suspect some rooms in the POLY are just as long a walk to the GCH as some of the rooms at POP are from the main building. Deluxe resorts have fewer rooms then value resorts but the buses service multiple resorts. Walk to the bus stop at POP and you get N/S bus service to a theme park. Walk over to a bus stop at an EPCOT resort and you'll have multiple stops. Some of the rooms in the AKL have a long walk to the main area of the hotel. Not as long as the distance from some of the rooms at POP to the main building but long.

Two posts come to mind.

One thread was talking about the high cost of hotel (full service) laundry and dry cleaning. One poster said he sucks it up and pays. It's worth adding a few hundred dollars to the price of his vacation in order to come home with a suitcase of clean clothing.

One thread was talking about late flights. Posters were talking about getting a late checkout then using the changing room (health club some resorts) near the pool. One poster said he just books his room for an extra night. Being able to shower in his room then leave for the airport at 6p made the last day of his vacation so much more enjoyable.

Neither is the way I'd spend my vacation dollars. Those posts helped me understand different people have different priorities in how they allocate their resources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter