Why did you buy a DVC at a resort that contract ends in 2042??

You don't want me to call them "Guides"?

I bet you don't want me to refer to park employees as "cast members" either!

Well first of all, please do whatever you want. It's not my place to tell you what to do. :)

Please let me explain my thinking. To me there is a distinct difference. Calling people who work in theme parks "cast members" is a part of the whole Disney persona, and is part of what makes it so special. Disney has created this whole image of movies and fantasy, and the staff are "cast members" playing a part in that spectacle. However, the cast members are there to help guests, keep people safe and make sure the park operates smoothly. Their pay comes from Disney, regardless of what you do. There's no other agenda.

Calling DVC salespeople "guides", in my opinion, is a bit disingenuous. Here's why. Unlike cast members, DVC guides are sales people who make money by convincing you to purchase a DVC contract (through a variety of tactics that have been hotly debated since the dawn of time...or at least the dawn of timeshare sales). That is their primary (if not their only) function. Their money does not come from Disney, it comes from you. It's not the same relationship.

There are people out there (and I am NOT saying that you are one of them) who get all caught up in the pixie dust and magic and believe that their guide is their friend who is there to help them make all their dreams come true. (I suppose that's a nice way of going through life, I'm just a bit more jaded, sadly). I just want people to realize that there's more to it. They are there to do a job, and their job is to sell you something. They are salespeople.

Anyway, that was my thinking behind my post. Obviously I didn't mean to offend you, so sorry if I did. :sunny:

You don't want me to call them "Guides"?

I bet you don't want me to refer to park employees as "cast members" either!

as ELMC said, unrelated.

disney employees are "cast members" because they are on stage - no problem.

wikipedia said:
The word hypocrite is from the Greek word ὑποκρίτης (hypokrites), the agentive noun associated with υποκρίνομαι (hypokrinomai κρίση, "judgment" »κριτική (kritiki), "critics") presumably because the performance of a dramatic text by an actor was to involve a degree of interpretation, or assessment...hypokrites was a technical term for a stage actor...

"hypocrisy" is what you'd expect from an actor. we want the "cast members" to pretend to be enjoying their work and friendly toward us whatever their personal situation or feelings.

but calling the salespeople "guides" suggests they are looking out for you and want to help you in your DVC membership...which is pretty much nonsense. they get paid if you buy direct and lose a commission if you buy resale. their pay may vary depending on which resort you buy. and once you buy, they can suggest you buy more pts from them, but if you need a reservation or explanations on how DVC works, you'd be better off calling MS.

hypocrisy from a salesperson is a different matter altogether.

Okay, I am one of the people that are in the process of buying a DVC at BWV. However I am having doubts of buying there as opposed to a resort that contract ends in 2057 or 2060.
I was wondering, what are your reasons for buying at a resort whos contract ends in 2042?

I bought at a resort that ends in 2042 because the price was right and I'll be 82 in 2042, so I'm not that worried about the end date.

I also own contracts at resorts that end in 2054 so I've got myself covered if I do live to 94.

Although my daughter does strongly encourages me to make sure I buy contracts with the longer dates so that she can continue to go even once I no longer can.

We just closed this month so 30 years from now I'll be 62 and dh 63 and our boys long grown and out of the house. I think 30 years plus the 12 we've had prior to DVC will just fine,....besides I feel like we got a great deal on our points at OKW so I'm more than happy with our decision to buy a 30 year contract. 30 years a long time!

We just closed this month so 30 years from now I'll be 62 and dh 63 and our boys long grown and out of the house. I think 30 years plus the 12 we've had prior to DVC will just fine,....besides I feel like we got a great deal on our points at OKW so I'm more than happy with our decision to buy a 30 year contract. 30 years a long time!

and just another thought is that say we do find the magic water like in the movies just think how cheap the okw extended and blt contracts will be that expire in 57 and 60, might not be a bad deal buying a contract with 15 yrs left on it

Okay, I am one of the people that are in the process of buying a DVC at BWV. However I am having doubts of buying there as opposed to a resort that contract ends in 2057 or 2060.
I was wondering, what are your reasons for buying at a resort whos contract ends in 2042?

Many of us bought 2042 end date resorts because that was all that was available when we purchased. To decide if it's a good deal for you or not, look at the age you will be in 2042. I'll be 95, so it wasn't an issue for me.;)

We are buying OWK (not extended) because we like the resort and room sizes, we like the price we are looking at with the number of points we are getting and I am good with a 30 commitment. And as someone else mentioned, if we get towards the end of the contract and I am still wanting more, I will try and pick up a contract with 10-15 years left on it for a good price. I am happy with the deal we are working on.

For your sake I hope you are more comfortable with the commitment you are making with your purchase than you are expressing on the boards. You can only do what works for your family, no one else can convince you of that.

really, i think buying dvc is a major investment. i think you
are wise for learning as much as you can & keeping all
your options open.

i hope you don't let the difference in opinions, discourage you.

remember those replying here have all kinds of experiences-
and not all are experts. { me including }.

however, i think the more you read, the more you will be able
to the difference...and the few you should give the most merits.

i think dvc is a timeshare, but is much more than the others.
how many timeshares offer cruises? the list is long , but
whatever others may want to call it, the key is making it work
for your family.

and because dvc is a family thing, i think you need to seek
all your family members' input.

we are blt owners. we brought 3 contacts for our children via
gift to my wife. direct. now i know others like the bargains of
resales..but direct can offer other perks that are not in the
store front window. ( i was a little worry when i first came here,
and many said "no-way" but dvc has been great @ doing
problem solving) .

as for the average.."cm" character? well that's a shock?,:rolleyes1
cm...are human beings. & thus they are responding as such.

..we're been @ the parks, & seen melt down from families. i also
"see" the effects...by those staring and judging. instead of making
it worst, offer them some bottle water, or a free pin ( acting out
kiddo), or simple encouragement.

oh, i don't think some of the prices some claim are 100% accurate,
..don't know anyone giving away $. but the best i can offer, do
what is best for your family. :flower3:

ps, & keeping asking questions, because there are some outstanding
experts here besides all the rest like me , :thumbsup2

why a 2042 end date? well, first it was the only date that was being offered at the time we bought. second, DH and I will be 86 & 87 in 30 years, and while I hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm thinking that vacations, let alone Disney ones, won't be our number one priority at that point in time. ;)

2042 is 30 years away and if you are like most of us, you will add on at some point. :worship: You can get a longer UY at that time. We own at 2 resorts and they end at different times. :thumbsup2 If we are still able to go at that point, our Kids may be the ones taking us.:rotfl2:

I think I understand the OPs reluctance.

Growing up, the only people I ever saw come home from a "free" vacation with a new timeshare were morons. I mean, I hate to be blunt, but timeshares had a very deserved reputation.

After buying in, I tried to deny that DVC was really a timeshare. I didn't want to think of myself as a moron.

Here's the truth...DVC is a timeshare, and the sales people are a little less ethical than I would like for them to be. I put them on the same level as a new car salesman. Its a sales job. They work on commission. BUT, they are not going to trick you. (Yeah, they are going to get you to buy before ever discovering the resale market, but they aren't going to lock you in a room until you purchase.) Your not purchasing a fixed week that you'll never get back to.

Over time, I realized that there are good timeshares and bad timeshares. Disney is one of the good companies.

It comes down to this...If you do your homework, learn all the ends and outs, and then make an informed decision based on your families needs...then it is ok.

Don't let your skepticism over the reputation of slimeshares deter you from buying a product you may love.

Oh...and we loved Boardwalk Villas very much. Saratoga was being sold at the time we purchased, but it didn't turn us on as much.

Hubby and I will also be in our 70s in 2042. I don't really like the idea of leaving a burden to someone else.

I'll be dead.

So will I! :rotfl: When I bought in 1996, I thought I would pass all our timeshares to our kids. Well, with nearly 1000 pts, we are at the point that the kids can't afford to pay the dues, so they have to learn how to rent the points, which will pay the dues, and they will still be able to use the rest of the points. But, as others have said, 2042 is long enough. I am buying each kid 50 points each at Grand Floridian, and they can easily pay the dues for that one little contract. We have enough points for our whole family, but it will be too much for just the two of them when they only get two weeks vacation per year.:sad2:

I think I understand the OPs reluctance.

Growing up, the only people I ever saw come home from a "free" vacation with a new timeshare were morons. I mean, I hate to be blunt, but timeshares had a very deserved reputation.

After buying in, I tried to deny that DVC was really a timeshare. I didn't want to think of myself as a moron.

Here's the truth...DVC is a timeshare, and the sales people are a little less ethical than I would like for them to be. I put them on the same level as a new car salesman. Its a sales job. They work on commission. BUT, they are not going to trick you. (Yeah, they are going to get you to buy before ever discovering the resale market, but they aren't going to lock you in a room until you purchase.) Your not purchasing a fixed week that you'll never get back to.

Over time, I realized that there are good timeshares and bad timeshares. Disney is one of the good companies.

It comes down to this...If you do your homework, learn all the ends and outs, and then make an informed decision based on your families needs...then it is ok.

Don't let your skepticism over the reputation of slimeshares deter you from buying a product you may love.

Thank you! Your post makes a lot of sense and helps me out!

One of the parts of the homework is understanding what Disney is obligated to provide. Since I bought in 2002 a lot has changed, not all of it for the better....but I'm still getting what I bought - the ability to book a room at my home resort with priority, and at any other DVC location later, pending availability. And note that that isn't much at all, but its about the extent of Disney's obligations to me.

Disney might remove the ability to book to a different resort too.
The only obligation is that, if a resort if part of the Club, you can book to your home resort at least one month in advance. But your resort can be removed from the club and you will be able to book only your home resort.

At the time I bought (1999) that was the only choice. I'll be 82 in 2042 so that's enough for me.

Ditto! I'll be 80 and I figure that my son and potential grand children will have enjoyed it with me, anything beyond that will be his decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter