Why did you buy a DVC at a resort that contract ends in 2042??

robinbutterfly

DIS Veteran
Okay, I am one of the people that are in the process of buying a DVC at BWV. However I am having doubts of buying there as opposed to a resort that contract ends in 2057 or 2060.
I was wondering, what are your reasons for buying at a resort whos contract ends in 2042?

Dh and I will be pushing 70 at that point and who knows what stage we will be at in our lives. We bought in 2005 so almost 40 years of DVC will probably be enough ;)

I would be pushing 70 with the 2042 DVCs and 80 with SSR. I am worried about "saddling" my kids with a timeshare or it being so close to expiration that I cannot sell it. I am concerned a little but the 50 year ones I will be 90 and I doubt I will be going to Disney then but I would love to!

At the time I bought (1999) that was the only choice. I'll be 82 in 2042 so that's enough for me.

Okay, I am one of the people that are in the process of buying a DVC at BWV. However I am having doubts of buying there as opposed to a resort that contract ends in 2057 or 2060.
I was wondering, what are your reasons for buying at a resort whos contract ends in 2042?

We'll be 88 and probably ready to take a break from our Disney habit by then.

OP, are you having second thoughts -- or is your Guide giving you second thoughts?

I wanted to buy at BCV because it is my favorite resort. My Guide tried to talk me into buying elsewhere because the contract would be longer. I suspect my Guide might have gotten a bigger commission if I bought at one of the newer resorts. He tried to tell me that it was more cost-effective for me to buy elsewhere.

Like the previous posters said, when my BCV contract ends I will be... well, I'm not giving away my age! Suffice it to say, I'm not making plans to go to Disney World after that contract ends. Maybe I will, but I'm not going to plan for it.

OP, are you having second thoughts -- or is your Guide giving you second thoughts?

I wanted to buy at BCV because it is my favorite resort. My Guide tried to talk me into buying elsewhere because the contract would be longer. I suspect my Guide might have gotten a bigger commission if I bought at one of the newer resorts. He tried to tell me that it was more cost-effective for me to buy elsewhere.

Like the previous posters said, when my BCV contract ends I will be... well, I'm not giving away my age! Suffice it to say, I'm not making plans to go to Disney World after that contract ends. Maybe I will, but I'm not going to plan for it.

I love how people call them guides. They are not guides, they are salespeople.

OP has had second thoughts about everything since agreeing to their deal. :rolleyes1 For me, Boardwalk was where I wanted to make my home, so the 2042 end date came with it.

OP, in a different thread you said that you were nervous about the uncertainty of the future and what MFs could be that far down the road. Now you are nervous about buying a shorter contract.

I say this with all due respect, but given the number of doubts you have had over the past week, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider purchasing DVC at this time. With a purchase of this magnitude you should be totally sure and confident in what you are doing, and I don't get that sense from you. Again, not trying to offend, but if I were your friend in real life I would counsel you away from buying DVC. It doesn't sound like it's for you. Not now, anyway.

"For me, Boardwalk was where I wanted to make my home, so the 2042 end date came with it."- Missyrose

Even if they were to extend BWV contracts after the 2042 date, I wouldn't buy the extension. At that point, the only way I would be visiting Disney is in an urn.:rotfl:

Stephen

Like others 1) I'm old, 2) we bought before any of the longer life resorts were available. Given #1, I don't think I'd have made a different choice....although had I waited a year, I would have bought VWL instead of BWV. When we bought, VWL had just stopped selling and resales were still comparatively expensive over BWV or OKW.

We like BWV - we love the proximity to Epcot. I like the VWL theming more.

We'll be old by 2042 as well, but really, it's because we wanted VWL and nowhere else!!!

OP, in a different thread you said that you were nervous about the uncertainty of the future and what MFs could be that far down the road. Now you are nervous about buying a shorter contract.

I say this with all due respect, but given the number of doubts you have had over the past week, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider purchasing DVC at this time. With a purchase of this magnitude you should be totally sure and confident in what you are doing, and I don't get that sense from you. Again, not trying to offend, but if I were your friend in real life I would counsel you away from buying DVC. It doesn't sound like it's for you. Not now, anyway.

and in at least one other thread you started you wondered if you got a good deal at $65 a point i believe....if i am correct and this is at least the third thread you have started with cold feet, i too, as a friend, would advise you wait until you are sure

I really appreciate your comment. However, I already verbally agreed to a contract. Also, the reason we are chosing BWV is because it is only a 30 year commitment. We are taking the plunge... I hate timeshares, I think they are a scam and a waste of money...but I love Disney and I feel this will make us go every year like I want to!

We bought our home resorts because we love to stay there, not based on their contract termination. We expect our contracts to be worth nothing when we sell or give them back.

:earsboy: Bill

I really appreciate your comment. However, I already verbally agreed to a contract.
Multiple people (on multiple threads) have told you a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's printed on. If you're not sure, take a step back and get sure before signing ANYTHING.

Also, the reason we are chosing BWV is because it is only a 30 year commitment. We are taking the plunge...
If that is the reason why you picked BWV, then why start this thread?

I hate timeshares, I think they are a scam and a waste of money...but I love Disney and I feel this will make us go every year like I want to!
DVC is a timeshare. Period. There are plenty of people on these boards to tell you there is no Disney "magic" involved. It's a timeshare just like any other timeshare (Wyndham, Marriott, etc.). Don't look at this purchase through rose-colored glasses.

Like PP said, this is a very big purchase and with as many doubts and fears as you've expressed in several different threads, taking a step back to get more information would do you no harm. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy DVC, I'm just saying wait until you're better informed.

I love how people call them guides. They are not guides, they are salespeople.

You don't want me to call them "Guides"?

I bet you don't want me to refer to park employees as "cast members" either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!