Why did they close Spoodle's

KAB1

Mouseketeer
We have ate at every signature restaurant on disney property along with Shula's, bluezoo, etc. Spoodle's was by far the best and only 1 credit on the DDP. Hearing so many bad things about Kouzina's, I don't understand why they closed it. Any opinions?

I am super bummed they closed Spoodles as well. It was one of my favourite Disney restaurants. Their flatbreads were incredible.:lovestruc

I've heard plenty of bad things about Spoodles, particularly towards the end of its time, including from our server at Kouzzina.

I've heard plenty of bad things about Spoodles, particularly towards the end of its time, including from our server at Kouzzina.

We actually ate there in June (a couple of months before it closed) and thought it was awesome. My Dad is a chef and ate with us at all of the Signature restaurants and he voted Spoodle's at the top as well. He also thought the Cali Grill was horrible (except for the Sushi).

i think it also has to do with different companies running the restaurants on the BW as most of them are not Disney owned. I know Spoodles had it's up's and down's the last few years so I guess it was time for a change. I believe the only Disney owned restaurant on the BW now is FF which is signature restaurant.

When Spoodles originally opened it was a tapas style restaurant where people ordered dishes and shared at their tables. The food was awesome, but people really did not get the concept I guess. I think even before the dining plan was created they began to serve an a la carte menu.

It was one of our favorite places and we always had great experiences there, but I did know a lot of people who disliked it. I think maybe the restaurant did not get the numbers they hoped, so Disney made way for Kouzzina

I miss Spoodles. We used to eat there on every trip. Both the food and the staff were always wonderful.

We liked Spoodles - thought it was a good table service spot, probably one of the best on property - but in no way did we think it was on the same level as places like Bluezoo, Bistro Paris, or Flying Fish.

To each his own ... we all like different things and sometimes a poor experience can "scar you for life." :lmao: We had a bad dinner at Artist Point a few years back and will never go back ... we wouldn't even dine there if it was free.

Here's a different perspective: My family strongly disliked Spoodles and adores Kouzzina. We virtually never encounter poor service at the Disney restaurants, but our waiter at Spoodles was a complete buffoon. I went the entire meal without receiving a glass of water, despite many requests. Serving water is as standard as giving diners a fork and knife.

So we were excited about Kouzzina and were very impressed by our dinner there in January. At least for us, closing Spoodles was a welcome change.

I loved Spoodles and I'm learnign to love Kouzzinas- the fishermans stew was wonderful. I think when we ate there it was still in a learning curve with the service- the waiter was almost a hidden camera set up or something. He actually mocked my drink order, but I'm willing to try it again for that stew!

I miss Spoodles for the red snapper, bummed it wasn't there for our last trip.

I miss Spoodles for the red snapper, bummed it wasn't there for our last trip.
Did you try the red snapper at Kouzina's? I feel it's one a the best dishes at Disney in a while.

Spoodles was really going downhill the last few years, but no more than any of the other locations IMO.

I think they just had the opportunity to put a celebrity chef branded place and went with it.

Although not perfect Kouzzinna was very good. The food is not for everyone (Greek), but neither was spoodles.

I do miss the breakfast at spoodles, it was an excellent value and decent quality.

We miss Spoodles too. It was a bit off at the end, but I loved the sign and the rigatoni dish!

I liked Kouzinna's servers and the restaurant itself,I thought the food and variety of dishes was very mediocre.

We enjoyed Spoodles and are sad it is gone. However, we are keeping an open mind and have an ADR for Kouzina's in August.

I liked Spoodles a lot but I LOVE Kouzzina! The service I got was much more like that of a very high end restaurant.. I felt very catered to and every bit of food we had was amazing!

I last ate at Spoodles in February '08 (a wonderful breakfast I still remember), so I can't comment on whether it was actually "declining" in the months before it closed.

What I can comment on is what replaced it, a "celebrity du jour" eatery. I view the latter as a disturbing trend at Disney, that of trashing unique, one-of-kind Disney restaurants and either replacing them outright with a chain or re-labeling then and then outsourcing the operations to outside firms.

I don't go to WDW to eat at a chain (read: Rainforest Cafe) or a place run by an outside restaurant firm (read: Lawrys). I want dining that is unique to WDW and created by Disney staff.

But hey, maybe that's just me. And perhaps I should calm down. Cat-whoever-she-is will have her 15 minutes and then fade and the "aura" of eating at a so-called "celebrity" spot will fade; fickle guests moving onto to whatever new "trendy" eatery has taken the spotlight.

Ergo, I give Kouzzina 2-3 years, tops.

I last ate at Spoodles in February '08 (a wonderful breakfast I still remember), so I can't comment on whether it was actually "declining" in the months before it closed.

What I can comment on is what replaced it, a "celebrity du jour" eatery. I view the latter as a disturbing trend at Disney, that of trashing unique, one-of-kind Disney restaurants and either replacing them outright with a chain or re-labeling then and then outsourcing the operations to outside firms.

I don't go to WDW to eat at a chain (read: Rainforest Cafe) or a place run by an outside restaurant firm (read: Lawrys). I want dining that is unique to WDW and created by Disney staff.

But hey, maybe that's just me. And perhaps I should calm down. Cat-whoever-she-is will have her 15 minutes and then fade and the "aura" of eating at a so-called "celebrity" spot will fade; fickle guests moving onto to whatever new "trendy" eatery has taken the spotlight.

Ergo, I give Kouzzina 2-3 years, tops.

I would definitely agree with it passing in 2-3 years. I liked Spoodles the second time I went there, but not the first, and personally I don't see much of a draw in celebrity run restaurants... But I could just be annoyed because there's nothing I like on the Kouzzina menu... Historically, though, famous chefs have dictated Disney cuisine, they just did so as silent partners. Given Disney's desire to offset initial costs and investment, I could see the desirability of having branded restaurants that will foot the upfront costs of construction and operation...

i think it also has to do with different companies running the restaurants on the BW as most of them are not Disney owned. I know Spoodles had it's up's and down's the last few years so I guess it was time for a change. I believe the only Disney owned restaurant on the BW now is FF which is signature restaurant.
Spoodles was Disney owned and operated, and so is Kouzzina, so it doesn't have anything to do with third parties running restaurants. (Cat Cora does not own or operate Kouzzina. She's a name partner, likely paid to have her name on it and for her input into devising the menu.)

I think it was strictly to bring in Cat Cora for the name recognition. Replacing one Mediterranean restaurant with another was likely the best way for them to do that.

For that matter, most of the restaurants in World Showcase are owned and operated by third parties, not by Disney (including Chefs de France, Bistro de Paris, San Angel Inn, La Cava del Tequila, Marrakesh, Teppan Edo, Tokyo Dining, Tutto Italia...plus the two new restaurants now being built at Mexico and Italy. Disney is definitely turning more to outsourcing.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter