who believes in putting their child on a leash?

ten822

Mouseketeer
I have always frowned upon people who have their kids on leashes in theme parks or malls. But, now that I have a DS2 -I can understand. He likes to walk, is very energetic, tends to run off, etc.. My DD4 was never a problem. She loved being held and loved the stroller. I am debating about whether or not to get a leash for DS this coming trip. Any input? And do they sell them in the Disney parks for a reasonable price?

Watch out for the flames!!!! I believe in putting my child for safety on a lease. That helps prevent separation in the crowds and increases security. Ok, so flame me, I just don't think that compromising a childs safety is second to others negative opinions.

I don't understand the flames people get for this. You know your child best and know if he will be happier with the leash than with being forced to hold a hand or be in the stroller. If you are going to do it though, get it before the trip and practice with it first.

I personally never had to but every child is different. You need to do what you feel best about. When I was little we lived in Boston and my mom didn't have a car. She would need to take my brother and I down to Broadway in Southie to get groceries or go to the bank and I was in the stroller and he was on the leash. We were only 11 months apart and she couldn't chance him running into traffic. It worked!

Hi-
This should be an interesting and heated thread. I used to make fun of and look down on those parents that used a leash. That was all before having kids. I can see why people may need them. I bought a wrist one for when my DD was learning to walk as I am very tall and it was hard for her to reach my hand to hold it, I was always bending over to walk. I didn't use it often or for long, but I can understand it better now. I also worry about her getting away from me even now. She is very well behaved and won't run off, but it is a scary world and I am sure people use this as a safety more than a necessity.

We have a "hand holder" - kind if like a leash between two bracelets - and doggy backpack leash for my wanderer, 3.5 years old. I hate the idea of it, but in practicality, I hate the idea of losing him more. He refuses to ride in a stroller and is easily distractible, and FAST. He *loves* his doggy backpack and will often ask to wear it around the house. He has worn it at flea markets and crowded events with no problem.

I took him to an open house at the School for the Deaf (I'm an ASL student) and got a lot of mean looks - I kept signing, "He's hearing, but he's fast!" They didn't like the idea of a leash on a deaf kid but laughed that I had my hearing kid on a leash!

Tread lightly. There are many of us that have special needs children that use leashes for safety reasons. My dd would bolt in crowds at Disneyland and was non-verbal at the time. She was also tall for her age which led to many pleasant looks and comments from strangers. :scared:

I purchased her leash at Wal-Mart. It was worth the negative looks to keep her safe.

I also frowned on leashes until I had a child who needed one. I also frowned on children being at a theme park or mall with a Nintendo, I also understand that now.

A leash was my best friend!!! But I had a different situation. I had a 17 month old and newborn twins. By the time they were 3 & 4 they were tired of the triple stroller and wanted to walk by themselves. The leash was the greatest invention ever. I did not like the idea before I had my own children, but in this day and age... you have to do what is best for your child to insure his safety. Forget everybody else.

I never needed a leash for my oldest son, but used one for my youngest when we went to Disney. People that flame rarely have very active children, I have found.

I am debating getting something of the nature for my dd 3 & 1/2. She's a runner and we've had a code Adam called at Wal-mart and Kohl's in the past few months. She just gets excited and runs and LOVES TO HIDE. My friend that is going with us forbids me to do this but I'm really nervous about her running off!

Watch out for the flames on here!!!

I am one of those people who thought they were horrible!!! Until now. I have a 19 month old that DOES NOT LISTEN!!! But then again when do they ever listen?:rotfl: I am purchasing a harness for my son for our D.C. trip in two weeks and plan on using it on our Disney trip in September. I have been trying to teach him to hold hands to no avail.
Someone showed me this harness:
http://www.tommiguard.com/buyoriginal.htm

I am hoping that by me not holding onto a "leash" I can concentrate more on teaching him to hold my hand.

Also, this topic has been hotly debated on here. Someone once said this: "You hold your hand up for an hour straight and tell me you're not cranky because your arm is tired". That IS what it's like for a toddler holding your hand.

We used them at Disney on our twins who were 20 months old at the time. I would say that in general, most of the looks we got were looks of amusement or understanding. I know there are some people who don't approve, but those leashes gave my twins a little bit of freedom and made them happy. I figure there are always going to be people who are judgmental about your parenting decisions, but only you are the one who has to suffer the consequences.

Do what you feel is right and have a wonderful time.

I used to be against them until we adopted a independent 3 year old. He also has RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) so if he got loose and got to a perfect stranger, he'd go home with them and just go on and on about how his parents were horrible people and to never take him back LOL It's really not a laughing matter on most days, but when we're at Disney, the backpack Monkey leash is a peace keeper, sanity saver...etc. He does not want to hold our hands, does not want to ride in a stroller and as I said, doesn't even really want to be with his family most of the time....so while I used to think that they weren't really necessary if you had trained your child properly....now I realize that it's not about that at all.

It's funny the things you used to have strong opinions on you change over time and you find yourself eating your own words LOL

My DD4 will be on a leash when we are at disney next month. SHe has Oppositional Defience disorder, anxiety issues and ADHD. She is a runner and since my husband is not coming this is the only way I will be able to handle her. She loves her leash it is monkey and the leash part is the monkey's tail.

I too used to frown upon it, but after having a bolter I feel badly for any thoughts I ever had about those who "leashed" their kiddos. My bad. Once I walked the walk I didn't care what people thought. I knew I was leaving with my little one no matter what and to me that is really all that mattered! :rotfl:

i never used them. but my daughter has used one for our grandson. its like a little monkey or doggie pack. its cute. i think its great. my grandson likes to just go , go and run also. she has had to fly alone a few times , so it came in handy. i would def. use one on him and especially at Disney. it would just take a second in the crowds. i see them being used all the time. i think it would also ease your mind.

My daughter loved her doggie back pack when she was 18 months and we had our first trip to the world. Sometimes she would ride in the stroller and sometimes she would be able to explore! I have read the many threads on how awful they are, but then I have been in public and people have asked me where I got it and told me how great it is. I got mine at walmart. I have also read that well behaved kids don't need a leash....well my kids are well behaved, but they like to run when they get excited and have fun, they just want to be a kid. I would rather give them the space to explore and have their safety in mind also. Think of how easy it is for a kid to run away and get lost in a crowd of thousands. No way, not for me. I would rather take the dirty looks as long as my kid doesn't mind the leash and can have fun!!:goodvibes

It is your decision and don't worry what others say.

I'm for whatever keeps my child SAFE and my anxiety level DOWN! If a "leash" is needed, go for it! ;)

hi! while my dd13mos. and i dont live in a big city or walk to many places,she is a beginner walker and refuses to sit in her stroller in public places- we got the monkey back pack so that she can feel like a big girl and she learns to walk with us- also I think it helps her with balance because she has to walk in the direction we are... so far she loves monkey and we plan on taking it on our trip in november!

I ignore people who 'frown' upon the idea of the leashes. I have 3 boys - our oldest is 11 and we never needed anything like this with him. However, we now have 2 1/2 year old twin boys -- and I bought Safety First harness sets for our trip to Florida in Feb 08. I like them because you can use it around their wrist, or use it as a harness. My 2 like to walk (really run -- and in different directions too!) and I like that it gives them a chance to get exercise and tire them out -- but it's just not practical to think that we'll be able to walk them through the mall or someplace on vacation without having their harness on. They don't mind wearing it, and I like that it keeps them within reach of me and not running off. So yes, it's a safety issue - and Safety is much more important to me than a bunch of people who may 'frown' upon it. Since having twins we always get unsolicited advice and comments and questions about everything and anything and most of the time I politely ignore it. After all - until you've had multiples, you have no idea what it's like. You know your kids best - Do what works best for you and your kids.

We'll be bringing our harnesses with us Disney and we'll also have our stroller, because I know they'll get tired out and want to sit in the stroller to get some rest.

--Kim
Mom to the A Team
Aaron & Aidan (2 1/2), Alex (11)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter