• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

who believes in putting their child on a leash?

Buy the leash, take it and if you find you need it you will have it available. We went with our DS and DDIL and their DD a few years ago. The baby was 18 months old and didn't like being confined to the stroller, I found a cute little pink purse with a shoulder strap that had a leash that you could attach to it. We were glad we had it, she didn't really notice it because we let her start carrying the purse at home over her shoulder and she would carry it in the parks and when we needed to we would attach the leash. She did really well sitting in the stroller for the most part, put when she wanted out we let her out, with the LEASH!!!! I would rather have my child or grandchild safe then worry about someone staring at me. And trust me, my husband is VERY opposed to seeing a child on a leash, but even he was glad that we had it at the WORLD. That is the only time that I have ever used or encouraged one of my kids to use a leash for my grandkids. :wizard:

I"m one of those rare people who have never used them but don't Judge others who do. Fortunately for me, both of my Sons' always rode in stollers well and were not wanderers or bolters. However, I have several niece/nephews' that either because of disabilities, or just plain rowdy personalities I would't take them into my FRONT YARD without a lease or something. It's all about safety and comfort -- if the child is going to fight walking w/ you or riding in a stroller, then it's almost MEANER to fight them then to just put the harness/lease thingy on them. and what about the other kids. It it fair for the other siblings to constantly lose time or attention because the parents are having to struggle or chase down the one child? No...

Do what you have to do to have a SAFE and ENJOYABLE vacation and thumb your nose or other body part at someone who wants to judge what you are doing. Its not like your tying them to a tree and leaving them there for hours which IMO is a lot worse! Have a wonderful trip!

I have always frowned upon people who have their kids on leashes in theme parks or malls. But, now that I have a DS2 -I can understand. He likes to walk, is very energetic, tends to run off, etc.. My DD4 was never a problem. She loved being held and loved the stroller. I am debating about whether or not to get a leash for DS this coming trip. Any input? And do they sell them in the Disney parks for a reasonable price?

I'm not ashamed to say we have one. My DS will take off in a heartbeat :eek:, even with us holding on. I use it when we go to the children's museum and DEFINATELY at WDW!

The one I have was $10 and looks like a monkey backback. The "leash" part gives the illusion of the monkey's tail. I've seen basic ones at KMart for around $7.

If you have a roamer, I'd pick one up.

I personally HATE the things, but I have become resigned to the fact that many people love using them. I understand the safety aspect of using them, and that most parents say that their kid is happier on one than in a stroller, but I still have that knee jerk eeeew response. I can't help it. They bother me. I would never say something to a prent about it. I say your kid you choice. I would never consider one for my child though. Just be aware that they can be a trip hazard to others when they are stretched over a few feet between you and the child. DD was once tripped by a toddler on one.

Headstrong/disabled child without leash=possibly dead, kidnapped or injured

Headstrong/disabled child WITH leash=safe, period.

'nuff said, imho. :confused3

We just got back last weekend from WDW and we used the monkey backpack on my three year old. The crowds were horrible and she is NOT a runner, but I still wouldn't have gone without it. After fireworks at MK last monday night I would feel scared NOT having a child on one. The crowd leaving the park was ENORMOUS and I was paranoid that even WITH it we were going to lose her in the throngs....still makes me shudder!

My 2.5 yr olds new thing is " I want to walk, by myself!" Which to him means without holding my hand, he is good about it in a parking lot or street but as soon as we are in the store it starts a battle, I know he can't always have his way and I am teaching him to stay close, but I don't want to have to keep chasing him while were are in WDW so I am going to give the back pack a try and see how it goes, if it keeps him safe and not having a meltdown then it is a good thing IMHO, and I was one of those people that thought it was strange, even when my ds was young, now that he is a toddler I get it! Being a parent has taught me to never say never and not to judge others, especialy when you are out, we all do what we have to keep the kids as well behaved as possible while out. Not always how I would handle things at home but who wants to hear my screaming toddler while at a meal, or a theme park, not me!

I would have never used one for DS, but w/ twins now, I don't see how I could NOT use one. I have one that thinks outside means running & I can hardly keep up with her in the church crowd, so I know I will not be able to keep up at DW. I think of it as a must in our case, for the safety of DD and the person she is going to make fall when she runs into them.

I never used one until I had my twins. It was wonderful to finally let them out of the stroller when I was by myself! How else would they learn not to run in the street, run on peoples' lawns, etc. Especially at crowded evening events, they were much needed.

We had one and LOVED it for DS#1 & DS#2. #3 never needed it. Best thing ever. I heartily recommend them.

One suggestion though - Don't wait until WDW to try it out. Some kids get very upset the first time it goes on. I saw a child screaming and pulling at it one time. I'd suggest you get DS used to the leash/harness by having him wear it for short trips - at first try from the car into the post office, the bank, the coffee shop, etc. Then longer jaunts such as a trip to the grocery store or Wally World, Target. This way he's accustomed to his limits and doesn't get mad/upset about having it on when you get to WDW. My boys got so used to wearing it that they would just walk calmly beside me like a well mannered child while it was on, but the minute it came off - can you say bullet? :rotfl2:

I haven't personally used one before, but I think they can be very useful in certain instances.
I wish people would just live and let live. And not judge so darn much.

I was thinking about this yesterday and i don't understand why we parents (no one of this thread) feel the need to be so judgemental of each other.. if putting a leash on your child makes you feel better go for it. We will be trying it soon as our DD doesnt' always want to be in a stroller (and who would?):confused3. For people without kids who say just hold your childs hand, they obviously have never had their child drop their legs out from under them and pop out their elbow. I feel the leash is better than a trip to the ER:rotfl:. So PARENTS UNITE and lets support each other. :grouphug:

We went in Jan I used one for my 2yr old and it was a life saver. She is very independent and wants to be a big girl and walk around by herself.
I have the monkey backpack that has the leash attached. You can buy them at Target or Walmart for 9.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter