Whispering Canyon vs Trails End vs Hoop Dee Doo

smdc313

Earning My Ears
Need some help deciding on dinner plans on our arrival day...we will be getting to the WLV late morning so we think we will probably just use that day to get acquainted with surroundings and relax a bit with our two daughters (9&7). Thinking of booking at one of the three restaurants/shows above for an earlier dinner and then doing smores on the beach/possibly movie if it doesn't run too late as we want an early start the next day. Any recommendatiosn on the three? Also, does anyone know if you can do smores at the beach at Wilderness Lodge? I know you can at Ft Wilderness with the sing-a-long but just weighing options. Thank you! Also -- is Hoop Dee Doo worth the price??

TE is probably one of the best values in WDW. HDDR is a very popular show and many guests love it (but keep in mind the food is pretty much the same food they have on TE's buffet). WCC gets a lot of mixed reviews regarding both food and atmosphere these days. Just depends what you're looking for.

Now if you are planning to do the movie and/or campfire thing as well, I'd probably lean more towards TE or WCC that night. (I'd pick TE personally because I don't care for WCC's skillet as I like the salad options at TE although you can get a lot of similar foods that are on that skillet at TE;))

If you decide to do TE I'd just stay at FW for the campfire especially if you can make it to the singalong with Chip n Dale (depending on what time you plan to eat dinner). When we stay at WL or FW we always try to do this the first night as it's a fun start with Chip n Dale and it makes for an earlier evening and a more relaxing evening. And then its a nice but quick boat ride back to WL.

If you're arriving late morning then what time will you have woken up in the morning? I'm guessing everybody will be tired in the evening. Since you're going to spend the day getting to know the lay of the land, I'd personally recommend that you book an ADR at your resort which means WCC. That way you can decide to just head back to your room and crash after dinner without having to deal with transportation (to get from the campfire at FW is 2 internal busses to WL, to get from TE or HDDR to WL is one internal bus).

We are having that same discussion on what to choose once we arrive at the World (12:00).

We've eaten at WC a couple of times on previous trips and the last time they had changed the menu so much that we now don't care to go back. We love the atmoshpere but the food could be better.

We have never been to HDDR and the requirement of 2 dining credits is putting us off. We've heard many great things about the show, though.

TE may win by default.

If you're arriving late morning then what time will you have woken up in the morning? I'm guessing everybody will be tired in the evening. Since you're going to spend the day getting to know the lay of the land, I'd personally recommend that you book an ADR at your resort which means WCC. That way you can decide to just head back to your room and crash after dinner without having to deal with transportation (to get from the campfire at FW is 2 internal busses to WL, to get from TE or HDDR to WL is one internal bus).

It's only 1 bus to get to the campfire from the Settlement Post.:confused3 once you get off the boat from WL to FW, then you can walk to the Settlement Post which is about 5 min from the boat dock (if that) and it's only 1 bus to the campfire which is less than a 5 min. ride, (we've done this several times).

Of course, if you're eating at TE first then you're already halfway there. It's so pretty over there and so calming.:goodvibes You can choose to go to FW singalong campfire or just hop right back on the boat after dinner and go to WL's movie. I would think after being there all day (WL) you may want to get out for a bit without going too far, that's all.;)

We haven't done TE, but we stayed at WL when our kids were 9 and 7 and they loved both WCC and HDDR. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. We didn't do the campfire, but I'm pretty sure WL does offer one.

I have not been to TE but have been to WCC and HDD. We loved Hoop De Doo and were very underwhelmed by WCC lunch. I am not sure if Hoop de Doo is a good choice for arrival day, though. You have to pre-pay it with a credit card, I think, so if you could be delayed in your travel and miss the reservation.

choice is Trails End for food only. The buffet has plenty of choices and the fried chicken is the same as they serve at HDDR. If you want a show then I'd pick Hoop Dee Doo. I like the never ending beer, wine and sangria.

The last two times we ate at WCC it was a horrible experience....I asked for and received a refund for our dinners.

Well, we have done all 3.And stay at Wl pretty much every year. Hoop de Doo is an adorable show, my family could not stand the food. I don't like fried chicken or ribs so I was pretty much out of luck. As for including beer, sangria, sangria was acceptable beer was Bud products only and I personally don't care for them. So I had a sangria and some cornbread, did not care for anything else. I did however love the show. Very corny Disney, cutesy. WCC have always liked it but never liked the skillet. The new menu does not appeal to me so I will not eat there again for dinner. Had breakfast in January and it was great. We love trails end and always try to eat there. As for Chip n Dale and smores. They do smores at WL before the movie but it is for a limited time so check the time. Chip n dale sing along is great but chip n dale are only their for the beginning. the first time we went we aet at trails end and missed chip n dale. I think a perfect WL day would be to either eat at roaring forks and hang out at the pool or rent bikes or mouseracers and eat at trails end or we sometimes boat to the contemporary eat at their CS which is very good and hit their awesome arcade, finishing the evening with a monorail ride and a dole whip at the poly. But based upon the options you listed, my vote is trails end, chip n dale sing along and go EARlY enough to see the stables next to Trails end or HDDR the parade horses are amazing and we usually get too see cinderellas ponys get a bath. And make time to sit on the beach and see the electric light parade also. My girls are now 9 and 12, we have done this WL day for years and they love it.

We just did this on our last trip. Got in around lunch time, swam in the pool, showered and when to the early Hoop De Doo Revue show. It was great considering we weren't doing special things all day, it was the one special thing we did. We all loved it. (It was my kids first time at HDDR. It's prob been about 10 years for me and DH)

I have not been to HDDR (DYING TO!) but, TE and WCC are regulars for us. I would only do WCC for Dinner though, the antics happen more then and it's just fun. At least, I always have a good time there.

I LOVE the Skillet at WCC. Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, Mashed, Beans, Corn, salad with an apple vinaigrette. Simple food but, to me, it's done right. And the cornbread rocks!

392314_10150988709702321_2048718971_n.jpg

Only issue with WCC, if you don't have a ressie, you could be waiting for a bit. I've been VERY lucky arriving for dinner just as it began and we were ushered in about 10 mins later.

I agree with a PP that TE is one of the best bang for your buck. (Just under $30) They have pretty much everything that the WCC skillet has plus soups, deserts, other meats, veggies, salad bar, pizza, etc. It's all you can eat buffet. Unlike WCC, you have to get up to get more where as they bring you more to your table at WCC. Also TE virtually has no waiting for seating and we've been there at different times of the year. :thumbsup2

One thing, whenever you go to Fort Wilderness, make sure you know how to get back to your resort. It's a lovely place to stay but, transportation can be a little slow.

Enjoy! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter