Where would you eat? Akerhus or Chef Mickey's?

squirrel4569

DIS Veteran
On our upcoming trip we're doing QSDP but thought we would have one character meal OOP for the trip. I've got a dinner ADR booked for the day of our arrival at Chef Mickey's but I was considering dropping that and booking a breakfast at Akerhus in Norway at Epcot. We've done Chef Mickey's twice now on previous trips and always had a lot of fun with it. I figured it would be a fun kickoff to the trip to have dinner there, then wander over to the Poly and watch Wishes from the beach. Get the Fab Five out of the way as well as Wishes.

There's a part of me though that wants to do something we haven't done before. In our previous trips we've only been to Epcot once and didn't do Akerhus because we were doing CRT during the trip. We've done CRT three times (two dinners and a breakfast) and while it's definitely a cool experience, again it would be nice to do something we haven't done before. The girls also love the princesses so it would also be an easy way to get those M&G's done indoors in the A/C!

So it's six on one and half a dozen on the other. If we do Akerhus it locks in our plans to do Epcot on a specific day. With CM's on the day of our arrival we run the risk of missing it if we have travel delays or issues. I think the kids would love either. I'm going to get the kids opinion on it too, but as they are 7 & 4 they will probably say "Both!" :lmao: I think we get a picture at both, so that doesn't come into play. They are both buffets but there are some more unique offerings at Akerhus for sure. Akerhus is appealing because it's new. CM's is appealing because it's familiar. :confused3

I would do Akerhaus. It's different, it's great food, great character interaction, and it's not buffet (well, except for the starters).

Do the princesses! My daughter loves the princess parade they do during breakfast. The food is good (the hash brown casserole is so good we made it for Christmas breakfast this year) and the interaction isn't rushed. Much better meal/experience than chef mickey's in my opinion. Have fun!!

The character interaction is better at Akershus. The food was just ok but we did it, like you said, to get the M&Gs out of the way. We never felt rushed & our girls had such a nice time.

We have been to the princess breakfast at Akershus the last two trips and love it! The food is great and the character interaction is awesome. It is a very cozy atmosphere. The kids enjoyed it so much they want to do it again on our next trip! We did Chef Mickeys last time too but the kids didn't ask to go back this time.

If your children are really into the princesses then I recommend Askerhaus. We also enjoyed the dinner. The family photo you receive is also very nice.

We are on the QSDP as well. We are doing Tuskers, CP and Arkshurus. The princess get my vote.

That is a really hard one- Akershus and Chef Mickey's are our two favourite character meals, and must do's on our trips! I suppose it depends on the characters you'd like to see and what food you'd prefer. Akershus is a beautiful restaurant with loads of fresh food and more unusual options than Chef Mickey's which is filled with American buffet cuisine.

If it were me..... I'd stretch to both!!! It really is worth it! However if you really can just do one... Chef Mickey's for quintessential Disney, but Akershus for food and theming.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think I would do the princesses too! And last time we were at CM's they did take our picture but we had to purchase it at an extra cost (it has been a couple years since we were there though); the picture package was included at Akershus

The picture is not included at Chef Mickey's unless you have the Photopass+.

While we didn't enjoy Akershus, I would do it for something different. I would also pick Garden Grill over Akershus any day of the week.

I would definitely say Akershus! I would recommend Dinner though, I found the value for the price better at dinner than at breakfast. They've got the appetizers all set up on a cold buffet, and then you order your meal, and then get a dessert platter.

I also prefer princesses to fab five, and I've heard Chef Mickeys can be a real crazy hassle sometimes, but Akershus is more on the quiet side, plus, it's something new for you guys!!

If both your kids are girls than you have to do princesses for this trip.

I like both and Chef Mickeys is our first night dinner every visit. It doesn't feel Disney unless we are swinging napkins. :)

But your girls will outgrow princess interactions earlier than the fab 5 so take them and enjoy the magic.

Mickey is my fave & I love the bfast there personally. We had a great time when we went but if you are looking to change things up then do the other place for the princesses. It is all in what you want? I personally would do CM because I'm a huge Mickey person :)

Akershus, especially if you plan to spend the day in Epcot or have a parkhopper.

We love the food at Chef Mickey's, but character interaction seems rushed. Not sure whether we'll do on our next trip.

First off, we have traditionally done first night's dinner at Chef Mickey's and first full day's breakfast at Akershus. The one that I enjoy, much more, is Akershus for breakfast. Next time we're at WDW, I am, in fact, going to lobby strongly against that first night's dinner (although my opinion rarely carries too much weight). The food is, I think, mediocre, the venue is a little raucous and open, and we can see those characters at other, better meals, like Tusker House lunch.

Thanks for all the responses! I booked an ADR for Akerhus at 8:10am on our day to go to EP. It would be nice if I could get my FP for Soarin on the way to Norway wouldn't it? (Maybe I can with FP+ but we won't go into that here)

I think I'll see how the budget is playing out, if FD comes, etc and maybe we can do both. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter