When in August

Mrs Dazzle

<font color=009900>Florida-mad (well, mad full sto
This will be out first trip in the summer months (due to my working now at a school so no more time out of school for May or October vacations, as well as restricted this year due to DH's job).

Over here in the UK mid-July to end of August are peak holiday season, but I was wondering exactly how it falls over in Florida.

We are due to be travelling on 8th August flying to Ft Myers for 12 nights, then back to Orlando for another 4 nights, leaving for our return to the UK on 24th August.

Can I ask for some advice on what the crowd levels will be like . . . .

1. Down the beach at Ft Myers and around that area from 8th - 19th August
2. Disney and Universal for 19th - 24th August

Also, is this still "peak" season with regards hotel prices? I'm getting conflicting information on the websites I'm looking at to book somewhere for our Orlando stay :badpc: . I don't seem to be able to get any decent prices either onsite Disney or Universal this year :sad2:

I would also be interested to know if we travelled earlier (i.e. 1st August to the 17th August), would this make a difference to the crowds.

Sorry, bit longwinded, but it would be very helpful to have this information.

Any other tips/advice much appreciated :disrocks:

Hello Mrs. Dazzle!!!

I believe most of the kids in the southern states go back to school earlier (early August) than the northern kids (early September.)

I can't say for Ft. Myers area, however, when we've gone to WDW in late August (a few days later than than you will be there) - I felt that it was less crowded than when we've gone in late May. It's still pretty hot though no matter what time of summer.

As far as peak season goes - I think it still may be considered peak vacation time. I'm sure others on this board know much more than I do about this - just wanted to pop in & say hi. Have a wonderful vacation!!

Getting ready to go out and do some shoveling :cold:

Jane
:wave2:

End of August is far less crowded, Parks have shorter hours & is considered value season for the deluxes, at least & I believe for the others as well. It may be reular season for value resorts, but certainly not Peak for any of them....

August is low season in Ft. Meyers for hotels. I have been there at that time to visit my parents and the hotel rates are the lowest then. Their peak season is approximately Dec - April. We are going there in April and our hotel rates are a lot higher than they were when going in August. Ft. Meyers airport is a very nice small airport.

I have also been to WDW the last week in August and the crowds have started to die down since a lot of southern schools are back in session.

The weather is very very hot and humid. The water in the Ft. Meyers area is quite warm - about 85. It is almost too warm to be refreshing, but still very enjoyable.

Have fun!

Denise

We were there last year from 8/21-8/30. DH went back earlier on 8/28 & we noticed a HUGE drop in crowd levels, even on 8/28 which was a Saturday. I think a lot of schools must have gone back that Monday. This year I pushed back my trip by one week to take advantage of it. We start school the Wed after Labor Day. We will use Labor Day as a hotel day most likely as it is a holiday. Then we will go home the next afternoon.

HTH

Elise

:) Thanks for all the info, everyone.

I guess I was asking about going earlier August because it's my birthday at the beginning and thought it would be good to celebrate it in my second favourite place on earth :banana:

However, I think we'll stick to the original plan and leave the UK on the 8th. This is going to be our last trip to Florida for a few years, so don't want it being remembered as being too crowded to enjoy, compared to what we've always been used to May and October in the past.

At the end of the day, we're going to Florida and that's just great :love: Thanks again :love2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter