What's the best way to add memory to PS4

ski_mom

DIS Veteran
DS has run out of memory on his PS4. He keeps having to delete games to be able to do what he wants. I've been trying to figure out what the best / cheapest way to do this is. When I try to look it up, I find data banks, but if I'm understanding correctly, we would buy the data bank plus a hard drive. If that's what we need to do, that's fine, I just want to make sure I"m getting the right thing.

Thanks!

So I can't speak specifically for the PS4, but my son has the Xbox One and I got him a 2T external hard drive and it plugs in through a USB on the back. We are on our 2nd one as the first one just quit working but I was able to get an exchange from Seagate.

I have two PS4's in the house. There are two ways you can add storage.

1. Buy an external hard drive (You do not need a data bank). You can get a 1TB Seagate or Western Digital External HDD for roughly 60$ which will triple the storage you have now. You could get up to a 5TB External HDD if you wanted more storage. To hook it up to the PS4 you would just need to first connect it to a laptop/desktop and format it to the correct file system. Then plug it in and you should be all set. Here are the instructions and it is very simple (maybe takes 5 minutes). https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...external-hard-drive-to-your-ps4/#45fa006346ec

2. You can buy an internal HDD that can be installed into the PS4. This is bit more extensive as you would have to take the cover off the PS4, remove the old drive, install a new one and add the Playstation software via thumb drive... instructions are here. https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

Either is a viable option as Sony has made it very easy to replace the current drive or add external storage. I currently just have a 1TB external on my main PS4 which is more than enough for me.

If you have any other questions feel to DM me or reach out on the post, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited:
Thank you both! i think we may end up trying the external hard drive option. I'll have to talk with DS and see what size he thinks he might need.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter