What would you do

I do not believe it is appropriate to confront and demand that anyone explain to me or defend their personal beliefs. Just based on something that is in their home. Why would I have that right???

And, to clarify, I never used the word ‘equal’. But, good try, anyway. Whatever....
And yes it is very clear that prejudice and hate and evil come from all sides.

I had to look up 14/88. I’m just curious why the mother let her daughter play with your daughter especially if your dd is Hispanic , doesn’t that go against their belief? I’m Mexican so just asking. Maybe the mom has different beliefs of her husband and that’s why she allowed her daughter to play with another child of another race. I wouldn’t let my child go over there because of the flags and the beliefs of whoever put it up and the friends they might have over there. I wouldn’t want my child in an uncomfortable or dangerous situation.

I fell bad for that little girl if she is raised to hate. I think people should feel pride in their race as long as it doesn’t encourage hate, violence and hurt others

I had thought the same thing about the mother and the father. We can’t really know! Or maybe the OP’s daughter doesn’t appear to be so Hispanic. (However one wants to look at that). Or maybe the mother does tend to agree with the beliefs shown by that stuff in the garage but didn’t want to make any deal out of it with two little young kids on a public playground. There really is no way to tell.
I do tend to think that the mother is married to and has a young child with the father. And has not made sure that those things were not placed openly in their garage. So even if these beliefs are more his than hers, for my child’s sake I would still back away. I don’t know if I could give the mother complete pass.

I do not believe it is appropriate to confront and demand that anyone explain to me or defend their personal beliefs. Just based on something that is in their home. Why would I have that right???

And, to clarify, I never used the word ‘equal’. But, good try, anyway. Whatever....
I agree there is no use in confronting anyone. But, I love how we are are just simplifying it to just “personal beliefs”. Like it’s something that doesn’t affect others like some ppl believe in heaven & some don’t. In this case, their “personal beliefs” are vile & hateful so they don’t get to have a “side” imo.

I know nothing of 14/88 or Stormfront other than what's posted in this thread, so yeah I'd stay away from that.

I was born in the North, so I'm not a southerner, but without the other two flags, I'd have no problem letting my kids be friends with a family who flies the Confederate flag. Not my cup of tea, but it is definitely not inherently racist. The symbol has been hijacked in recent years to mean something that it was not originally intended and is now being used as a lightning rod to divide people.

I am a southerner, & I agree about the Confederate flag. It is not inherently racist, but I still don't go around displaying it or waving it around because I know what the connotations can be. And I don't want anything I do to cause anyone any additional hurt.

An entire region of the country can be wrong. The Civil War and the Confederate flag were all about slavery. Displaying it is a tribute to that. So are those statues. And those streets and schools named after slave traders.

My point is: you can be a racist AND hate. But it's not essential. You can even say something nice and be a racist. Like "those colored folks sure can dance." See, a perfectly good compliment. isn't it?

I wasn't going to comment, but...

The Civil War and the Confederate Flag were not all about slavery. Sure, slavery was one of the main issues, but not the only one. So, if you're going to use the Civil War in your argument, be familiar w/ all the history - not just what suits your argument. Many in the South were fighting not for slavery (& many didn't even have slaves) but were fighting for states' rights. My ancestor, who picked his own cotton w/o any slaves on a very poor dirt farm in northern Alabama, fought for his home state - not because he was trying to keep slaves. There were many other multi-faceted issues to the War as well. And, coincidentally, BOTH the North AND the South profited from slave labor - so the North is not the blameless heroes that many make them out to be. It was a sad, tragic time in our country's history, no matter what side of the Mason-Dixon line you fell on. So, it's not really an entire region of the country that was wrong; in actuality, the entire country was wrong when it came to slaves.

And your determination that an entire region of the country is racist because of a flag & some statues is both sad & misguided. (And I know you didn't come right out & say that, but it's implied in the context of what you did say.)

Displaying the Confederate Flag is not necessarily a tribute to the Civil War & slavery - it definitely can be. But it isn't always.

I do agree w/ your 2nd paragraph.

Regarding the OP, like others have said, the Confederate Flag alone wouldn't necessarily make me suspicious but the Confederate Flag along w/ the 2 other items would make me run. I wouldn't want my child around the family at all.

I am surprised that the OP was able to just take pictures in someone else's garage, & I have to admit, I'm a little suspicious of the whole story.

(And I had to google because I had NO IDEA what either meant.)

Last edited:
I’d move. And I hate moving.

The quality of the people around me is super important.
:confused3 Is this rhetorical? If not, and we apply it to the situation in this thread, the information about the neighbours only came to light by happenstance. It's not like the flags were flying on the front lawn. I suspect people with these ugly and subversive attitudes tend to keep it on the down-low, at least when they're not amongst their own radical ilk. That being the case, how would moving solve anything? There's no guarantee something equally bad or worse isn't lurking in the garages there too.
That seems odd to me. You would really ask if they know what the flags stand for? That seems more confrontational than direct b/c how can they not. You think they’re gonna say we just thought they had pretty colors that looked nice in the garage?? And, maybe if the OP, were white it might be ok, but I certainly would be intimidated to have that kind of confrontation with someone if I weren’t.
This is a heavy topic, but I gotta say the bolded made me LOL. :laughing:

I agree there is no use in confronting anyone. But, I love how we are are just simplifying it to just “personal beliefs”. Like it’s something that doesn’t affect others like some ppl believe in heaven & some don’t. In this case, their “personal beliefs” are vile & hateful so they don’t get to have a “side” imo.

It is something that affects other people and it is vile and hateful. But it is also a belief of these people. A belief and an opinion. Calling it that doesn’t make it right.

Not only would I keep my child away from that little girl, but I would make sure my neighbors knew what the family is about. I would also share the information with the school and other families at the school. I would hope the school would take steps to ensure that those parents never interacted with the students. (Chaperoning trips, volunteering in the classroom...)

I find it strange to take pictures of what's inside my neighbors garages. In any case I think the OP knew what they wanted to do; no need for validation from us strangers on the internet :)

It is something that affects other people and it is vile and hateful. But it is also a belief of these people. A belief and an opinion. Calling it that doesn’t make it right.
Yes, luvs, but I also firmly believe that everyone has the right to believe in or have an opinion on anything as long as it doesn’t cause harm to anyone else. That’s what America is all about to me.
Do I find racist views abhorrent? Absolutely. But as long as they don’t act on those beliefs in harmful or violent ways , I am very much a live and let live and mind my own business kind of person. We have laws that protect us otherwise if that’s the case.

I have views that could be considered controversial ( I am in favor of pro life and traditional marriage to name 2 off the top of my head)) and I would fear the day would come when I would be persecuted for those views by a majority of folks who find those beliefs vile or hateful. Believe me, it could happen.

Yes, luvs, but I also firmly believe that everyone has the right to believe in or have an opinion on anything as long as it doesn’t cause harm to anyone else. That’s what America is all about to me.
Do I find racist views abhorrent? Absolutely. But as long as they don’t act on those beliefs in harmful or violent ways , I am very much a live and let live and mind my own business kind of person. We have laws that protect us otherwise if that’s the case.

I have views that could be considered controversial ( I am in favor of pro life and traditional marriage to name 2 off the top of my head)) and I would fear the day would come when I would be persecuted for those views by a majority of folks who find those beliefs vile or hateful. Believe me, it could happen.
Sorry I don’t think that’s same thing as the being pro-life or pro-choice. “Live & let live” for Nazis...hmmm where have I seen that story play out before? Oh yeah, the first time around under Hitler. And how do we decide if they’re hurting ppl are not? Is the threshold just actual violence even if they work with children as teachers or in positions of power or whatever?

I find it strange that people would have such garbage in their homes. I would have snapped a picture as well.
I wouldn't have a clue what the other two flags mean so it wouldn't have dawned on me personally to do so. I'm just not in the habit of taking photos of the contents of people's homes. A description I'm sure would have worked without taking a picture..or the OP's wife could have googled if it they had a question about it (as so many have had to do here on this thread). But YMMV of course.

Sorry I don’t think that’s same thing as the being pro-life or pro-choice. “Live & let live” for Nazis...hmmm where have I seen that story play out before? Oh yeah, the first time around under Hitler. And how do we decide if they’re hurting ppl are not? Is the threshold just actual violence even if they work with children as teachers or in positions of power or whatever?
Then let’s agree to disagree, LSU. ☺️

I don’t think it is either and I get what you are saying. But what do you suggest? That we have these people arrested and locked away based on their abhorrent beliefs or opinions? Is that not also going down the same road as the Nazis?

They do have the right to their “beliefs” but they do not have the right to act on them. They have the right to spew whatever hate filled speech they choose to, but again, cannot act. So I get what @L&Lfan is saying too.

If you are referring to my post, nowhere will you find the words confront, demand or defend, etc. I said a discussion. I would have a right as the parent of a child that might be friends with theirs to gather whatever information I could to make a wise decision. Some people won't let their kids play where people are smokers, or drinkers, or have an ex-convict in the house. I have a right to find out more about them as neighbours and potential authority figures with my child if there are visits, and they have the right to tell me to go pound sand if they want to. This would be a conversation, not a confrontation. I think some people like to play scenarios out in their own minds and then run with it lol.

And, my whole point in talking to them, is that I got the impression that the OP somewhat cared about the possibility of a friendship for their children. If so, maybe it's worth checking out rather than assuming. Maybe they volunteer for an organization that confiscates posters like this and are saving them up for a big bonfire in the backyard?

But if the OP doesn't care about the friendship, then they can simply assume it is what it looks like, back away, and forget it. :confused3

I don’t think it is either and I get what you are saying. But what do you suggest? That we have these people arrested and locked away based on their abhorrent beliefs or opinions? Is that not also going down the same road as the Nazis?

They do have the right to their “beliefs” but they do not have the right to act on them. They have the right to spew whatever hate filled speech they choose to, but again, cannot act. So I get what @L&Lfan is saying too.
No I don’t think we should arrest them b/c they do have a right to freedom of speech. But I think they should be “outed”, if you will, even if that means they lose their jobs or whatever the consequences.

Me here. No it was not just your post. When challenging somebody and trying to pull off a thinly veiled personal attack then often somebody would actually quote the other person. At least that is usually way I see it. And, I didn’t do that.
So this would be a“discussion”???
Bringing up that heavy of a controversial topic and expecting an answer.
Really? Haha!!!
Ummmmm, Alrighty then....
Not sure the other person would see it that way.

Last edited:

I find it highly ironic that you as a gay man only favor traditional marriage. Talk about sabotaging your own self interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter