What to do if it rains?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I’m going up for the weekend and the weather is showing thunderstorms for both days. We were planning on spending most of the day on Saturday at the pool so now I’m not sure what we should do if the rain ruins the day. We’ll be at Animal Kingdom in the morning.

Put a rain jacket on and make the most of it.

BUT, a weather forecast a week out is worthless.
I’ve been checking for a few days and it hasn’t wavered, but it would be nice if it changes. And if it’s rain when we are at the park that’s what we’ll do, but our fast passes end at 10am so we planned to go back to the hotel and spend the rest of the day at the pool so the rain will ruin that. Not sure what else to do

My “rain list” includes dine-in movie at Disney Springs, bowling at Splitsville, monorail resort and lounge tour, spa appointments (Grand Floridian, Saratoga, Swan/Dolphin, Four Seasons). Hopefully the forecast improves... a lot can change in a week!

We were there this same week last year and one of our days did have thunderstorms forecasted. We were at MK on a Sunday and all was well until about 2:45pm - the skies opened up, rain poured down w/ thunder and we all raced for cover. About 15 min later it lifted with some off and on drizzle the rest of the day/night. We had ponchos and walked back to BLT to hang out (we were already planning to do that) and then went back to MK around 5. There was a light drizzle but everyone cleared out - it was the best time at MK ever - walk on for almost everything.

As you will be at the pool you will probably be fine most of the time- I've heard often the storms are pretty quick if they happen at all. If you can hit a park after the storm I highly recommend it! (bring ponchos). If you don't want to do that, most of the resorts have other activities you can do outside of the pool- AKL for example has a ton. I've always wanted to go to the animation resort and take one of the drawing classes - it's my favorite thing to do at DCA in California.

Alcohol, lots of alcohol. Wife and I did a trip a few years ago and it rained heavy like 5 of the 7 days. We tried going to the parks with a poncho but were pretty miserable--soaked shoes, rain blowing sideways so you get wet anyway, cold on some of the rides because of the AC, etc. We ended up just hitting the various resort bars after the first day or two of rain.

I’m going up for the weekend and the weather is showing thunderstorms for both days. We were planning on spending most of the day on Saturday at the pool so now I’m not sure what we should do if the rain ruins the day. We’ll be at Animal Kingdom in the morning.

Where are you staying? If you’re staying on the monorail line, then you can do some fun resort hopping maybe have a cocktail at each hotel. I also like that idea about going to Disney springs and going to a movie or bowling. If you’re staying at one of the resorts that has cabanas by the pool, it might still be a nice day as long as the cabana keep you dry.

Swim anyways if there’s no thunder or lightening. You’re already wet. Or swim first before the rain, and then go to AK, because a lot of people will leave. Unless there’s thunder/lightening. AK is the worst park to be at in inclement weather, there’s so few indoor places to take refuge in.

Whats that saying about Florida... if you don't like the weather just wait 90 seconds?! lol

We love it when it rains, people flee the parks like rats off a ship! While obviously it can be a little daunting in a thunder storm, if you are dressed and prepped for the occasion then it can be a very cool and fun experience! Smaller lines, cooler weather, and some great opportunities for awesome pictures!

Embrace the wetness! lol

Where are you staying? If you’re staying on the monorail line, then you can do some fun resort hopping maybe have a cocktail at each hotel. I also like that idea about going to Disney springs and going to a movie or bowling. If you’re staying at one of the resorts that has cabanas by the pool, it might still be a nice day as long as the cabana keep you dry.
We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Swim anyways if there’s no thunder or lightening. You’re already wet. Or swim first before the rain, and then go to AK, because a lot of people will leave. Unless there’s thunder/lightening. AK is the worst park to be at in inclement weather, there’s so few indoor places to take refuge in.
We're pretty locked into the park since we got Flight of Passage fast passes so we'll be there in the morning. Hopefully there isn't any lightning, I'm okay with swimming in the rain.

Alcohol, lots of alcohol. Wife and I did a trip a few years ago and it rained heavy like 5 of the 7 days. We tried going to the parks with a poncho but were pretty miserable--soaked shoes, rain blowing sideways so you get wet anyway, cold on some of the rides because of the AC, etc. We ended up just hitting the various resort bars after the first day or two of rain.
LOL this could be fun.

We've been at WDW through one hurricane (2004) and several tropical storms, and even on "normal" trips, the rain always finds us. Keen sandals, rain jacket (not a poncho) and a hat are necessities for me.

I would probably just stay at AK and do other things there or hop to another park if it starts raining if you have hoppers. However, we were at Typhoon Lagoon one afternoon and it started pouring rain. A ton of people left, but we didn't, and we had a blast! The kids rode Crush N Gusher 12 times in a row with little to no wait. Last year, we left the parks after lunch and planned to swim a while, but when we got back to our resort (offsite), it started storming so I took a nap.

You can hit DS for a movie, bowling, etc., but it will probably be crowded.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Well, the resort is beautiful and there are savannah views even when inside. You can take the shuttle (you can walk, but have to go outside) over to Kidani and take in the views there also.

I would do a monorail crawl and have a drink/app at the different hotels or go to Disney Springs.

The important part of the forecast here is the inches of precipitation listed, not the percentage! For example, if it says 80% chance of rain, that just means that 80% of the forecast area will get *some* precipitation. A lot of times, especially in the summer, the percentage will be very high, but the accumulation will only be 0.02 inches of rain or something tiny like that - the afternoon storm rolls through for about 15-30 minutes and then is gone again as if it never happened, so just hide out in a gift shop until it clears out.

Every now and then, there are days where there are truly storms all day and several inches of rainfall, when you might want to find alternative plans other than the parks, but those days are much less common than the quick, narrow storms that will sweep through in less than an hour.

So just be sure that you're checking the predicted inches rather than the percentages before you get too concerned!

The resorts also have activities that they will pull inside if possible during inclement weather - I'd check out what is being offered at the resort for that day and have it as a Plan B.

The important part of the forecast here is the inches of precipitation listed, not the percentage! For example, if it says 80% chance of rain, that just means that 80% of the forecast area will get *some* precipitation. A lot of times, especially in the summer, the percentage will be very high, but the accumulation will only be 0.02 inches of rain or something tiny like that - the afternoon storm rolls through for about 15-30 minutes and then is gone again as if it never happened, so just hide out in a gift shop until it clears out.

Every now and then, there are days where there are truly storms all day and several inches of rainfall, when you might want to find alternative plans other than the parks, but those days are much less common than the quick, narrow storms that will sweep through in less than an hour.

So just be sure that you're checking the predicted inches rather than the percentages before you get too concerned!
Is that listed on the weather app? I've always just looked at the percentage, I never knew this! Very helpful.

Well, the resort is beautiful and there are savannah views even when inside. You can take the shuttle (you can walk, but have to go outside) over to Kidani and take in the views there also.
Where are the views from inside? I know the ones that are outside. Do they leave the animals on the savannah if there is lightning?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter