What is Walt Disney World doing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
For those of you who watch [or listen to] the Walt Disney World edition of the DIS Unplugged on Tuesdays, the team discussed the top 15 changes that fans would like to see in the parks.

It was a great discussion and on next week's show, we're following it up with what we think Walt Disney World is doing right and we want your input!

If you didn't catch the show, here it is below.

And, if you'd rather read about it, head to the story over on wdwinfo.com.

Don't forget to let us know what you think Walt Disney World is doing right! :thanks:

I just heard that Bob Iger will be a guest on NPR's 'Studio 1A' sometime next week. It will be interesting if they should decide to talk about WDW and what improvements, renovations, or updates may be made there.

The FP system now is more accommodating to guests who park hop yet many DISers don’t know about this info.

Guests don’t have to pre-book 3 FPs...if they only pre-book 1 (or 2 FPs), as soon as they enter the line for FP#1, they can immediately book the remaining ‘initial’ FPs at Park#2 and/or Park#3...including Tier 1 attractions.

From the FP FAQ ADDENDUM STICKY:

When_2 or less FP are booked for Park #1:
If you book fewer than three FP and once you scan the first FP from within the first park, you can at that point make FP selections for a different park, even if you still have a FP remaining in the first park.

This can be especially helpful for Tiered parks – if for example you wish to hit Epcot at rope drop, use only a Tier 1 FP and then still have 2 more FP for another park later in the day.

Additionally, there is no restriction on Tier requirements BETWEEN PARKS during one day. So if you use a Tier 1 at Epcot you can then book a second Tier 1 at HS immediately upon scanning – Also, you can even book your remaining two FP at two different parks if you would like!

NOTE: Splitting FP between parks or booking for another park CANNOT be done until the same day, AFTER you have already scanned your card/MB at the first FP Mickey head to “prove” to the system that you’re in a park.

You cannot book for 2 different parks in advance or even on the same day until you have scanned your first FP (not just entered the park).

I think they're doing a lot right. Top 3....

3. They're adding new and interesting attractions all throughout the parks
2. They are giving some love to attractions that need it
1. By a far margin this is #1....drum roll please....their CMs continue to be the shining light of WDW. They regularly go above and beyond to make WDW the magical place that it is. Without them, no matter how cool the attractions, it would just be another amusement park. It's the CMs who work the attractions, the performers, the management walking around, even the maintenance crew. Nearly all are top notch for guest relations.

I'm loving the deep themeing. Pandora and Galaxy's edge both have total landscaping, backstory, and well integrated food options. Also loving that we're seeing festivals year round at Epcot, a focus on classic attractions, and I have to give a mention to those character meets. The Disney character meet and greets cannot be topped.

IMO, pretty much everything. There is very little, if anything at all that I'm not loving right now.
- Looove the FP system
- Always have great CM interactions
- Food is always delicious and seems to be getting even better
- Adding/updating rides, including adding more "thrill" rides (still dont think there are any real thrill rides currently or planned, some steps in the right direction, but I guess I dont go to Disney for the big thrills anyway)
- lots more

Diversity and inclusion stand out to me. Disney is somewhere that appeals to people from all over the world and from all walks of life. We love meeting cast members and guests from other states and other countries and sharing our common love of Disney. Also, their accommodations for disabilities and food allergies are outstanding. I realize they're not perfect, but they strive to give everyone a magical experience, despite their limitations. Compared to other companies or vacation destinations, they go above and beyond.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking that the merchandise was getting more variety in the last 5 years or so? I also believe they have been making efforts to have limited quantities of some merchandise and discourage people buying and re-selling it.

I think they are finally investing in the parks in a major way. (For us, though, I think it was a mistake for there to be new Fantasyland 2012...then what Pandora 2017, Toy Story 2018, Star Wars 2019, Tron and Epcot stuff 2021)

Recognizing that families of 5 want to stay. I've think they have expanded the places that 5 people can stay comfortably (especially if 3 of those are children).

Expanding AK to have evening/night activities.

I think they did the room renovations at the Pop Century Resort correctly. I like the light Disney theming after a day of sensory overload at the parks, (which I love). We have stayed there the last 2 Summers and the Disney theming over the beds is perfect.

1) Counter service food quality and choice is better overall than in years past. I can actually eat fairly healthy and not feel terrible from tons of fried food.
2) More fun snacks and drinks to try.
3) Expansion of the food and wine festival dates.
4) LOTS of new recent park expansions. This is very apparent in the last few years. I go every 3-4 years and can usually only look forward to one, maybe two new rides in a new land and a new restaurant or two. This time, from 2016 to 2019 I got Pandora w/ 2 rides, SDD with 2 rides, Galaxy's Edge with a new ride, and the skyliner.
5) The new renovated room configurations. I loved the family suites with the table that converts to a bed, and I am super excited that this is becoming a feature of many of the rooms. It just makes the space so much more useful.
6) Disney Play app - I know some people will shame me for this, but I loved playing Pokemon go last time at the parks - it really made waiting in lines or other down time so much more bearable. I can't wait to try this in a few weeks.
7) Controversial, but the MDE and magicbands. Way better and easier than using cash and credit cards and juggling room keys. I can leave my room with the band and my phone and be good to go all day.

As others have said, the new rides and changes to the theme parks. As annoying as the construction is currently, Epcot and Hollywood Studios in particular needed facelifts. They are finally getting that, and I'm very excited to see how it will turn out. There's no way around the construction, but I am glad it's finally happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter