What is the rumored change for resort parking?

I think if I were Disney, I would try the following:

1. Disney resort guests get to park for free at their resort or any of the other resorts or theme parks for free.
2. Anyone coming from offsite without an annual pass in a car has to pay $20 to park, no matter where they decide to park, be it a theme park lot, resort, or Disney Springs.
3. Annual passholders who are coming from offsite and not staying at a Disney resort on this visit are allowed to park for free at the theme park lots or Disney Springs, but would have to pay to park at a resort (could discuss whether it's a reduced rate or not, validation, etc.).

Then I would see how much this reduces the parking problem at the monorail and Epcot resorts, and then if it solves it, great, if not tweak some more, like limiting resort guests to their own resort, but may not be necessary.

I think if I were Disney, I would try the following:

1. Disney resort guests get to park for free at their resort or any of the other resorts or theme parks for free.
2. Anyone coming from offsite without an annual pass in a car has to pay $20 to park, no matter where they decide to park, be it a theme park lot, resort, or Disney Springs.
3. Annual passholders who are coming from offsite and not staying at a Disney resort on this visit are allowed to park for free at the theme park lots or Disney Springs, but would have to pay to park at a resort (could discuss whether it's a reduced rate or not, validation, etc.).

Then I would see how much this reduces the parking problem at the monorail and Epcot resorts, and then if it solves it, great, if not tweak some more, like limiting resort guests to their own resort, but may not be necessary.

The problem with that is people will be wiling to pay the same price to park at a resort such as Contemporary or Boardwalk for the convenience to the theme park. Have to make it more expensive to discourage this or require a validation such as a resort restaurant or store receipt.

Well they could charge $25 or $30, but I don't know if that would discourage that group of people from doing it. I think a better solution would be to keep a count of the cars admitted in that way, and only allow a certain number of that type of visitor in the lot at a time. Of course this method would also require keeping track of the cars exiting as well, but I believe Disney already has license plate cameras in place.

As an AP holder, FL resident, and DVC member, I feel that resort guests should have first priority access to the amenities of the particular resort at which they are staying. The AP is for parks, not resorts-- so having one gives no intended access to resort amenities such as Trader Sams-- so by all means guests with an ap should have to pay to park to use these things-- after all, they are taking away from the availability of these things to the paying resort guests.

What's to stop an AP holder from using the theme park parking and then going over to the resort using Disney transportations. Nothing, I don't think Disney is going to cut off guests spending money at the resorts No matter where they come from

If they don't want AP holders than maybe there should be not discounts at the Resorts. And I hope they don't do that.

What's to stop an AP holder from using the theme park parking and then going over to the resort using Disney transportations. Nothing, I don't think Disney is going to cut off guests spending money at the resorts No matter where they come from

Nothing will stop that, except for that they will have to park at a theme park first. I was referencing parking at the resorts since many of the deluxes have limited parking for the resort guests. I was considering the local AP holder who goes to a resort restaurant or lounge for evening entertainment only, or parks at one for easier TP access. I don't think anyone should be able to park at the resorts for an entire day regardless of what they pay. Resort parking is for resort guests. Allow 3 to 4 hours for confirmed dinner reservations, via The magic band .

Nothing will stop that, except for that they will have to park at a theme park first. I was referencing parking at the resorts since many of the deluxes have limited parking for the resort guests. I was considering the local AP holder who goes to a resort restaurant or lounge for evening entertainment only, or parks at one for easier TP access. I don't think anyone should be able to park at the resorts for an entire day regardless of what they pay. Resort parking is for resort guests. Allow 3 to 4 hours for confirmed dinner reservations, via The magic band .

Here's what won't happen:

You go to animal kingdom at 1 pm, bum around for a few hours, then use your paid parking voucher to park at contemporary at 7 pm to see "Wishes"...

That won't happen...they'll narc that out...as they should.

I don't see much of a difference between spending time a reserved restaurant or spending time checking out the resort Or a place like Trader Sam's. Money's money. I think that if a person can produce a receipt this should not be an issue. How about Disney gives them a ticket like many garages where you can park so long and then anything longer than that you get charged more? That would stop people from parking there to go to the park. And still be open to guests who just want to try a counter service or check out the hotel.

Or charge visitors and if they produce a receipt for a restaurant or bar within certain amount of time validate the ticket and refund the money.

That will also keep park visitors away.

Last edited:
I don't see much of a difference between spending time a reserved restaurant or spending time checking out the resort Or a place like Trader Sam's. Money's money. I think that if a person can produce a receipt this should not be an issue.

Really? You don't see the difference between the menu prices at their restaurants and window shopping? From Disney's angle?

And the receipt idea is contrary to what they want. They didn't want cash so they went to resort charges...they didn't want plastic cards because of their similarities to credit cards so they went to bedazzled bands in bright colors with mickeys on them.

They don't really want receipts either...they will be eliminated sooner than later.

There's psychology there.

Really? You don't see the difference between the menu prices at their restaurants and window shopping? From Disney's angle?

And the receipt idea is contrary to what they want. They didn't want cash so they went to resort charges...they didn't want plastic cards because of their similarities to credit cards so they went to bedazzled bands in bright colors with mickeys on them.

They don't really want receipts either...they will be eliminated sooner than later.

There's psychology there.

I'm not discussing Window shopping. I'm talking about going to the resort and spending money via a counter service or bar

I'm not discussing Window shopping. I'm talking about going to the resort and spending money via a counter service or bar

A reservation all but guarantees a $100+ bill...

What you describe could easily accomplishment that but has no guarantees.

CMB is all about bankable cash

Well on the other hand. Universal hotels do charge for parking. And their resort restaurants are sometimes pretty empty at least they were when I visited Them in December. And there was no need for reservations. Yet I don't see Disney ever being able to do that. More resorts and more resorts guests.

There are signs at every resort that the lots are full due to full resorts and no parking unless you have a reservation for room or dining

Why don't they just start charging the price of parking to actually get into the resort parking area and when you pay for your meal at your restaurant you get it debited back to your card.

Makes it quite clear then, pay to get in, get it back if you have a reservation, also with shopping a lot of shopping centres give you your parking back if you spend so much in the shops.

Why don't they just start charging the price of parking to actually get into the resort parking area and when you pay for your meal at your restaurant you get it debited back to your card.

Makes it quite clear then, pay to get in, get it back if you have a reservation, also with shopping a lot of shopping centres give you your parking back if you spend so much in the shops.

Really think the parking is going to have to be based on time, or TIERED (they love that).

The question is who is paying for this?

Do they have to cover the cost for the equipment, maintenance and employees via Resort Parking Revenues? Which means that this is a way to make money, not a deterrent.
Or was the general parking increases designed to cover this? $20 a car is a LOT of money over a years time....
Or maybe the resort guest will have to pay for it via some type of increased rates or separate parking fees?

Do they have to cover the cost for the equipment, maintenance and employees via Resort Parking Revenues? Which means that this is a way to make money, not a deterrent.
Or was the general parking increases designed to cover this? $20 a car is a LOT of money over a years time....

I think it's safe to say, $20 was a naked cash grab that has nothing to do with the cost of paying for parking lot and road construction and maintenance.

And the way that they're tying their brains in knots and tying everyone else's brains in knots attempting to think out a "fair" and secure way of administering what is really a rip-off parking fee, is a typical example of the way that irrational greed tends to create a spillover effect of irrational resentment and evasion on the part of your customers.

Do you remember the cartoon Spy Vs. Spy in MAD magazine? Same thing. Escalating, unprovoked cost increases causing escalating attempts at evasion, causing escalating enforcement ...

I don't see much of a difference between spending time a reserved restaurant or spending time checking out the resort Or a place like Trader Sam's. Money's money. I think that if a person can produce a receipt this should not be an issue. How about Disney gives them a ticket like many garages where you can park so long and then anything longer than that you get charged more? That would stop people from parking there to go to the park. And still be open to guests who just want to try a counter service or check out the hotel.

Or charge visitors and if they produce a receipt for a restaurant or bar within certain amount of time validate the ticket and refund the money.

That will also keep park visitors away.

Just checking out a resort is window shopping.

Money is money-- and if I am spending 600 plus a night for a resort, I want my money to buy me a parking space. And I would like to think I would have a bit of priority access to the resorts amenities. Spending 25 dollars for a plush does not ,IMO, warrant getting free parking at the expense of a guest.

Disney provides transportation from the parks to any resort you would want to go to.

Or, like somebody said, Disney loves tiering. Have a standard parking fee for $20 that covers 1 park 1 day, "parking plus" for $25 that covers all parks 1 day, "parking platinum" for $40 that covers all parks all resorts and Disney Springs for 1 day, and "platinum plus" parking for $50 that covers valet. And maybe even annual parking passes for all those levels. And have the different levels of annual pass have those different levels included, depending on your annual pass level. I shouldn't be giving them this idea should I, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter