What is the first news story you remember?

I remember hearing things about Viet Nam, nothing specific, just remember hearing about the war. I also remember the moon landing.

I remember when Elvis died, I saw the announcement on a ticker across the bottom of the tv screen. I had never seen a ticker like that before. Now we have news channels that have 2 or 3 going at the same time.

I was born in 1973, & the first news story I remember was the announcement that Elvis Presley had died.

Mom was driving, & we were pulling into our driveway. We had a white Monte Carlo, & the interior was red. The announcement broke into the regular radio programming, & I remember my mom exclaiming, "Oh no! Elvis is dead!" and then she started crying.

Several events from the late 60’s:
MLK and RFK assassinations
Moon landing
Woodstock
Mets in the 1969 World Series
General footage of the Vietnam War on TV

There was a local murder in the next town over. The guy waited for the family to come home from school/work and picked them off. I still think about it 40 years later

I’m another that would say The Challenger explosion. It was on the tv in science class...and when it exploded they unplugged and rolled that big tv cart out of the room.
Inwas in 6th grade. We didnt get to see it live but there was a school announcement. So sad.

The first really big thing I remember was the Challenger and I'm pretty sure we watched it happen on TV. I must have been ten at the time. I remember bits and pieces before that like the Los Angeles Olympics but not nearly as vividly as the Challenger.

Eta, come to think about it, I also remember the Chernobyl disaster. Same year, few months later, and being from Europe I remember hearing about it a lot because it could potentially affect our lives.

Last edited:
I was born in 1972. I vaguely remember hearing about the Mt. St. Helens eruption.
I gurss ii need to change my answer to this. I definitely recall a lit of news coverage and talk about. Until I read your post and googled, I didn't realize it happened a few months before Lennon was was assassinated. The exact timing of many stories from my chikdchil is a bit fuzzy in my head

Princess Diana’s Death 1997
The disappearance of Ben Smart and Olivia Hope-New Years Day 1998
Kursk submarine disaster 2000

But the two stories that affected me for life..

Interestingly I grew up with dad telling me about three incidents that had scared him from his childhood 1) a kid that got hit by a car while they were playing street hockey, he went over the powerlines.
2) The Laurier Place Theatre Fire, this turned out to be from my grandfathers childhood and obviously scared him so badly my dad had observed the story as his own.
3) an incident in Montreal at a travelling carnival where a Ferris wheel detached and rolled killing the children aboard(I can find no news stories about this)

The assassination of Robert Kennedy. I was around 8 at the time, and my parents were out voting. I remember being afraid that they might have been shot, too. I think it was probably the news recap, but at the time I thought it was live.
That was right there in your 'back yard', so to speak, MJ.

Beatlemania and their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. That's the first news I clearly remember.

I don't remember the JFK assassination several months before. But during his funeral I must have said something inappropriate because I remember my grandmother shushing me.

I remember getting sick in elementary school, and my mom wasn't too bummed about having to stay home because she got to watch JFK Jr's funeral.

The first news story that I really watched was 9/11. But I also have very clear memories of the space shuttle Columbia and its tragic re-entry.

The Challenger explosion.
I know I lived through others, but this is the first I can distinctly remember paying attention to. I was in 5th grade and heard about it on the radio in the school office when I was coming in after crossing guard duty for the half-day Kindergarten.

I’m 34. My first national news memory is the gulf war and my first local news memory is Jeffrey Dahmer. Both were about 1990/1991.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter