What is the first news story you remember?

I’m really old! It was Queen Elizabeth’s coronation in 1953. I was three. She became Queen in 1952, but not crowned until 1953. We lived in Belfast and there were street parties, which I sort of remember. I recall long tables being set up in the streets and cake for children. We all got a Coronation mug and I still have mine. We didn’t see it on TV because no one had a TV. We got our first TV in maybe 1956. The first news story I remember on TV was JFKs assassination and funeral, and our teacher telling us about it in class. (lived in Canada then).

VIETNAM WAR
Assassination of Martin Luther King
Assassination of Robert Kennedy
The MOON landings

all this happened while I was in grade school
I'd have to look online to get a correct timeline

The assassination of Robert Kennedy. I was around 8 at the time, and my parents were out voting. I remember being afraid that they might have been shot, too. I think it was probably the news recap, but at the time I thought it was live.

The Hostages in Iran being released for me.

I see so many folks wrote the Challenger explosion. I graduated from Concord High in 1985 and Christa was my teacher. I was in college and hurrying back to my dorm to catch the take off. I can't even describe how devastated I was when it exploded. I remember rushing to the pay phone to call my Mom at work ( Couldn't have even imagined an invention as amazing as a cell phone back then!!) Then that night I called my parents and asked them to come pick me up on Friday to go home for the weekend, I was so upset. Christa is actually buried right across from my Grandmothers grave. A couple times a year I visit both of their graves.

JFK assassination. I was 5 and they sent us home early from school that day. I remember my grandfather crying while watching the coverage on television

The Challenger disaster. I would've been 6, but I vaguely remember it and being sad. The one I remember exactly what I was doing and how I felt though was 9/11.

The day Elvis died. I remember playing on the living room floor and my mom started crying when they announced it on tv. I was just about 3 and I didn’t really understand what had happened. It’s probably more my mom crying that I remember rather than the actual news story.
Charles and Diana’s wedding is probably the next one I remember. I absolutely loved Princess Di.

Son of Sam murders. I lived in NY and I remember sitting in my bed with a radio listening about the latest murders. It was very scary.

JFK’s funeral, 4th grade

Vietnam, the war that was never declared a war. 1960’s

Nixon, Watergate, 1973 or 4

9/11, 2005

It must have been the moon landing. i thought it was so very boring. (I was less than 6)

I do remember seeing the Vietnam War and seeing some of the POWs coming home.

My dad watched the news every night. We would watch it together and he would explain things to me in a simple way that a kid could understand.
You had a very smart dad.

JFK assassination for me as well (or was it my mom crying hysterically that makes it so..)

The Challenger explosion and the Pan Am 103 terrorist attack. And, now I remember (after reading a few other responses), Baby Jessica in the well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter