What is the first news story you remember?

The Challenger. I remember more about the days immediately after it than the incident itself.

That is pretty much mine also .. was very young but it’s the first that stood out for me .. and now it’s hard to wrap my head around a entire generation of people that do not remember 9/11 .. I was 21 .. and feels like yesterday still .. I kept the news papers and the people magazine so my kids can really see the result . I can still remember the complete fear and horror while watching live .. and having family in a plane and grounded in Iceland ..

Born in 73. Probably first I remember was 1981....attempted assassination of president Reagan and then, a few months later, the awful story of Adam Walsh. My mother had the news about Adam on all the time and used it as a lesson to be aware of stranger danger. Big news year as I also remember the wedding of Charles and Diana.

Spooky. I just googled these exact three incidents to see which came first for this thread. I was born in 75

My first would be the moon landing. I remember sitting on my dad's lap and him telling me to pay attention because it was going to be history. I was four and had no clue what that meant, or that landing on the moon was special or out of the ordinary. Subsequently I remember lots of coverage of President Nixon making a visit to China; stories about Vietnam battles, casualties and protests; Patty Hearst's kidnapping and Watergate. I remember being so confused why Martha Mitchell was on TV drunk and talking crazy all the time. I could never understand what she was going on and on about and why they always put it on the news.

Another one for the Challenger explosion; as others have said, I remember watching it on tv in school, though I don’t think I really fully understood what had happened.

The first one I remember feeling personally affected by was the Lockerbie bombing of the Pan Am 103 flight. Partly because it happened within 100 miles of where I lived, and I knew people who were involved in the aftermath, and partly because I was flying as an unaccompanied minor (under 10) to the US from the UK the next day and I was utterly terrified to get on the plane.

Oil crisis in the 70's - remember the odd/even gas days.

I do remember watching a space launch, but it must've been one of the later Apollo missions, because I was only 18 months old for the moon landing.

I also remember seeing a number of former presidents together on TV and couldn't believe it -- as a 5-year old kid (or so), I thought they served until they died.

I can remember the black and white televising of a Democratic National Convention. It was either the 1952, (I would have been 5) or the 1956 Convention because Adlai Stevenson was the nominee.

Yes, I am that old!:)

I really had to think about this one.

Even though I was born in '81, I have no memory of the Challenger explosion. I was only 4 1/2 at the time so I'm sure my parents shielded me from it.

The first news story I remember was when my dad was on the news. My dad was an accountant for the state. The office my dad worked in uncovered evidence of somebody doing something wrong/illegal and they did a story on it. My dad wasn't interviewed, but they did show a shot of him working at his desk. I might have been in 4th or 5th grade.

As far as national stories go, the earliest one I remember are Nixon dying, OJ Simpson and the Oklahoma City bombing.

I guess it must be the JFK funeral, but mainly because none of my cartoon shows were on and every channel had that same program on instead!
This was my first memory of a news story as well and like you I was upset about not being able to watch my cartoons.

I was sympathetic to JFK's family since I lost my father earlier that year but a 6 year old has her priorities.

The Challenger. Then the mid air collision over Cerritos, CA. That was bad, seeing it, in-person as a child I will never forget it. Then Baby Jessica. Followed by The San Francisco Earthquake of 89. Then the Rodney King Riots.

JFK assissnation for the worst reason. I was 4 and there were no cartoons on that day and it upset me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter