What happened to the fanny pack?

My mother (52) has just received in the mail the fanny pack that she ordered specifically for our march trip. She insists on wearing it. I insist that she carries something that she does not try to off load onto the stroller. So fanny pack it is :)

Well, it appears that a group of fashion nazi's have decreed that it is completely uncool to use a fanny pack.
I'm pretty sure that the decree in question was made in the '80s.

any pics of the "cool" ones?
There is a rumor of a pic of a cool one being worn by bigfoot, but I suspect that it doesn't really exist (the cool fanny pack, not bigfoot).

My MIL is a proponent of the fanny pack and my FIL is an avid user of the "satchel" aka: Man Purse. He adopts the Alan from Hangover philosophy that Indiana Jones has one, so it must be cool....:rotfl:

Wow. Those are fancy fanny packs. Definitely cool, but probably not cool for a 39-year-old man. I will have to look for the Indiana Jones style man satchel instead. Now, will security allow me to wear a coiled bullwhip on the other side?

I'm pretty sure that the decree in question was made in the '80s.

When it was made has no barring on its sensibility or usefulness. Fortunately for me I quit caring what people thought about how I looked at least three decades ago.:rotfl2:

And as a side note...how is it possible that the new generation of "fanny packs" are any less dorkish. I can see that they are, hands down, sillier looking. Apparently they have more snob appeal. :worship: Prada says it all!

I LOVE that Prada one! I'm sure it wouldn't fit my pooh-sized waist though. :rolleyes1 I've got a "nice" leather pack that I wear in the parks as well. On vacation (or any time actually) I don't care one iota what others think. I'll wear socks in my Crocs and a fanny pack and be comfortable and happy. I HATE the feeling of weight on my back or shoulders so backpacks have never been my choice though I have tried. Even the lightest Baggalini backpacks but the heck out of me.
Wear those fanny packs proudly I say! :cheer2:

I LOVE that Prada one! I'm sure it wouldn't fit my pooh-sized waist though. :rolleyes1 I've got a "nice" leather pack that I wear in the parks as well. On vacation (or any time actually) I don't care one iota what others think. I'll wear socks in my Crocs and a fanny pack and be comfortable and happy. I HATE the feeling of weight on my back or shoulders so backpacks have never been my choice though I have tried. Even the lightest Baggalini backpacks but the heck out of me.
Wear those fanny packs proudly I say! :cheer2:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Except for the socks and Crocs thing...gross!!! Just kidding! :)

In my curious search I found that Jansport makes them in a bunch of colors and don't look half bad! I think it was on bagsbuy? Not sure how to post a link :confused3

ebags had the Jansport "fifth avenue" on sale for $19.99 and in the black I'm thinking its kinda cute? I must be losing it! Hmmmm.

I just remember years ago DW telling me "If I ever wear a fanny pack just shoot me." Now that we are grandparents and will one day be touring through the parks with the grandchildren I wonder if she'll change her tune?:earsboy:

While I don't love the look of a fanny pack, I still continue to wear it since WDW is the only socially acceptable place that it can be worn.

I used to bring a backpack, but my shoulders would get so sore. This way, I have my money, camera and other incidentals right on me and I don't have to worry about accidentally setting it down or having to use my hands to hold it.

I just saw my forgotten "waist satchel" the other day while cleaning out my closet. It sure did make carrying things easier. I don't like taking a purse to the parks so I switched to the drawstring backpack, but do not like that hot thing on my back all day. Thanks to this thread the fanny- I mean "waist satchel" is coming out of the closet! Before when I wore it I would just slide it around so it wouldn't show up in pictures. I wish I would have taken it in December, I can't tell you how many times I asked my husband for the tickets, room keys, etc. Of course my kids think it is old fashioned to tuck in my shirt, "mom no one does that" I will have to work around that issue!
A small bottle/tube of sunscreen, tickets, cash, camera, handi wipes and away we go!

The fannypack is great for WDW - but only while we are there! My DH has a great one that holds a lot is isn't obnoxious. He wouldn't wear it anywhere else (he doesn't need it anywhere else). I gave mine up as my kids got older - a sling bag is great for me and I'm still hands-free. Whatever keeps phones and cameras dry works and I think people should use what they want :goodvibes

i wore a bum bag (fanny pack... i'im engish!) during our last trip. i didn't want a back pack because a) i didn't know that you can take a bag on pretty much any ride, and b) i didn't want more tan lines across my shoulders.
i couldn't give a hoot if they are uncool. mine holds what i need and keeps my hands and arms free. plus it's so mundane, black and boring. love it!
next trip however, i will have my mother as a bag (she won't go anywhere without a small suitcase) so i can be completely bag free. hurrah!

I agree, who cares if they are cool or not, I am not going to WDW to try and impress anyone, they are practical and they don't hurt your back and they leave your hands free. I will never see the people there again. I am going to WDW to have fun and fanny packs make it a little easier.

I will never see the people there again.

:rotfl: That's how we approach our entire vacation!!! It's all about having a great time, not what someone else thinks is 'cool'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter