• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What happend to your luggage if your flight lands after 10pm?

LSUfan4444

DIS Veteran
So, say your flight is scheduled to land at 9:40 pm, you put the yellow tags on and your all set then your hit a flight delay and your flight now lands after 10pm.

What do they do with your bags?

Is it possible to just request that they keep your bags at bell services even if your flight lands on time?

I called DME and was told "I don't know..you could always go to baggage claim and see if your bags show up." After asking that he possibly ask a supervisor I was disconnected so figured I'd try here before trying back tomorrow.

So, say your flight is scheduled to land at 9:40 pm, you put the yellow tags on and your all set then your hit a flight delay and your flight now lands after 10pm.

Is it possible to just request that they keep your bags at bell services even if your flight lands on time?

I called DME and was told "I don't know..you could always go to baggage claim and see if your bags show up." After asking that he possibly ask a supervisor I was disconnected so figured I'd try here before trying back tomorrow.
Once when we arrived late in the evening (but still early enough for ME to do the bags), I stopped at Bell Services on the way in and asked them to hold my bags, saying that we'd pick them up in the morning. That kept them from waking us up in the middle of the night to drop the bags off.

if your flight lands at or after 10 whether scheduled or delayed you take your own bags to DME and once at resort driver takes your bags off bus. I would just get one of those big carts and take it to the room yourself from there

If your plane arrives at the gate at or after 10pm, the Disney guys will have gone home so your bags won't get pulled by them and will just go to the baggage carousels with all the rest of the luggage from the plane. You will have to collect your own luggage and take it over to DME.

If you flight lands before 10pm, your bags will be pulled and delivered to your resort later. If you don't want to be disturbed when your bags arrive, just ask Bell Services to hold them until morning.

FYI: With a flight time this close to 10PM, I think I'd check the baggage carousel anyway, just in case the luggage doesn't get pulled from the plane and into the terminal before the Disney guys go home.

Definitely pick up your bags at the baggage claim! As much as I think I know all I need to when I go to Disney, I had never read that you had to do this. Our flight was delayed, we went right to DME and expected our bags to be delivered in the morning. When I woke up, no bags anywhere at the hotel. I spent a good part of the morning on the phone with southwest trying to find them. Luckily they found both, but I was sure stressed out for a few hours!

Our flight is scheduled to land at 10:05. I was told that we had to pick up our own bags. That means we have to carry a tired 5 year old and 1 year old down to baggage claim then carry two tired kids plus all our baggage back upstairs, across the concourse, back down to ME and wait for a bus. Sounds like a blast :( I asked if ME would just hold our luggage until the next day and was told no - it would keep going around the belt at baggage claim. If no one took it, the bags would go to lost baggage. Wish they had better options, especially for families with young children. If I was not on the same flight there is no way my daughter could manage two kids and luggage by herself - it's going to be difficult enough with two adults.

We actually considered paying for a town car that would pick us up at baggage claim. That would be so much easier.

Our flight is scheduled to land at 10:05. I was told that we had to pick up our own bags. That means we have to carry a tired 5 year old and 1 year old down to baggage claim then carry two tired kids plus all our baggage back upstairs, across the concourse, back down to ME and wait for a bus. Sounds like a blast :( I asked if ME would just hold our luggage until the next day and was told no - it would keep going around the belt at baggage claim. If no one took it, the bags would go to lost baggage. Wish they had better options, especially for families with young children. If I was not on the same flight there is no way my daughter could manage two kids and luggage by herself - it's going to be difficult enough with two adults.

We actually considered paying for a town car that would pick us up at baggage claim. That would be so much easier.
Can't one of you go on to the resort with the kids, while the other adult waits behind to collect the baggage? Magical Express buses run continually- you don't have to go to the resort together. Clothes for 2 adults & 2 small kids could fit well into 2 large suitcases, which one person would be able to pull through the airport. Once you get to the DME bus, you'll have someone to help you with the bags.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..that helps. If we see any delays and land later than 10pm we'll head to baggage claim.

Just an FYI- if you're landing close to 9:00 you're prob better off getting your own bags anyway. Whenever I've landed late the DME bag service was on a delay and didn't get them till the wee hours of the morning.

Can't one of you go on to the resort with the kids, while the other waits behind to collect the baggage? magican Express buses run continually- you don't have to go to the resort together. Clothes for 2 adults & 2 small kids could fit well into 2 large suitcases, which one person would be able to pull through the airport. Once you get to the DME bus, you'll have someone to help you with the bags.
No, I'll actually be on an earlier flight. I'm booking the 9:40 arrival for my wife, daughter and mom.

Just an FYI- if you're landing close to 9:00 you're prob better off getting your own bags anyway. Whenever I've landed late the DME bag service was on a delay and didn't get them till the wee hours of the morning.
Thanks!

She won't need them till the following morning so long as we can get them from bell services the following morning that would work for us.

If you're landing close to 9:00 you're prob better off getting your own bags anyway. Whenever I've landed late the DME bag service was on a delay and didn't get them till the wee hours of the morning.
It was actually not a delay. It normally takes DME 4-6 hours to get bags to the resort, at any time of the day. If you land in the late evening, that means your bags will likely show up in the middle of the night. That is why I recommend telling Bell Services to hold the bags until morning.

I would get your luggage when you arrive. We arrived between 8 and 8:30 last Oct. and our bags didn't show up until between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. NOT FUN. I thought for sure they would arrive by 11:30. So from now on....I will ALWAYS grab my bags and take them on the bus.

Can't one of you go on to the resort with the kids, while the other waits behind to collect the baggage? Magical Express buses run continually- you don't have to go to the resort together. Clothes for 2 adults & 2 small kids could fit well into 2 large suitcases, which one person would be able to pull through the airport. Once you get to the DME bus, you'll have someone to help you with the bags.

Thanks! Did not think about that. In my mind I was picturing us each carrying a child, not DD carrying both. I'm not sure how much luggage there will be though. I will have one suitcase, I'm not sure if my daughter can fit clothing for her and two kids in one suitcase or if she will have two. We don't live near each other, I have a layover in Baltimore which is where she is flying from so we will fly together on that leg of the journey. The other issue is that we have two separate rooms. I guess I could keep all the luggage in my room until morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely talk to DD about doing that.

why don't you just tip a skycap at the airport to help you out if you don't think you can handle everything. I travel with my mom (who uses a wheelchair), have our carry ons, and usually one big / one small bag to get and I just tip someone at the airport that helps us out to our car (I don't like using ME, just a personal preference since the one and only time I used it was a late landing flight and it took forever for us waiting for our bus to leave the airport and get to our resort). I did the same thing when I used to travel with my three nephews/nieces and had their double jogger stroller and bags.

FWIW DME told us that the plane has to "touch down" by 10:00 PM not arrive at the Gate by 10:00 PM.:)
We know one of the Disney baggage handlers and he says that they "punch out" at 10pm so any yellow tagged luggage entering the terminal after this will just go with the rest of the luggage up to the baggage carousel.
If you are arriving close to 10pm, your luggage is likely going to end up going round and round on the baggage carousel if you don't pick it up (or someone else doesn't take it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter