What are you getting your 11 year old boy for Christmas?

Really?

What would he use these for?

Dawn

As the pp says (and my first post goes on to explain) he will wear the tux for formal night on the cruise. Actually I hope I got it big enough to fit for next year's cruise also. He is a tap dancer so any time their is a school talent show or something like that he tends to land a spot in it and he likes to wear a tux to dance on stage, too. He'll beg and plead to wear it more and we will probably end up all dressing to the nines to go out to dinner somewhere once or twice in a year just becasue it is fun and will make him soooo happy (DD enjoys it too, but not the way he does). He'd wear the darned thing to school on a regular day if I'd let him:lmao:

He does wear dress pants and ties to school a lot:confused3 He likes them. I don't know why (his dad does not dress like that for work very often) but he does and why not:confused3 Sometimes we joke that he is our own little Alex P Keaton:rotfl2:
It has only been in the last year that he can stand the feel of jeans, but he still prefers slacks.

And a leather jacket? That is a fairly normal little boy item to want, is it not? He had a black leather jacket which he loved for about two years (I bought it really big on him). Eventually it dissapeared from the dance studio when he was dancing:rolleyes:

I get it NHdisneylover. My ds11 just this summer informed us that his wardrobe is woefully deficient. He now wants to go shopping at the Mall as a reward when he accomplishes something. And when we cruised to Bermuda 3 years ago, we had to go to Build-a-Bear first so we could get something for his bear to wear on formal night! He'd totally wear a tux if I let him. My ds is a gymnast, so luckily he doesn't want anything fancy for the school talent shows, he's good in shorts and a t-shirt.

He could care less about playing most sports (but loves the Celtics and Patriots), and thinks it's fun to create a schedule for the shows/parades at the 4 WDW parks --he periodically shows me the schedules he's worked out (with parade themes and shows he's created), which he thinks would enhance the enjoyment of guests...

I'm glad all kids are different, it makes it fun and interesting as a parent!

Maria :upsidedow

Ah, I see.

Yeah, I don't have those kind of boys. They don't even want a leather jacket. :thumbsup2

What they really like are hoodies with cool stuff on them. I found a bunch at a thrift store last year in perfect condition. One even was from Animal Kingdom and had the Dinosaur from the Dinosaur ride on it. They were thrilled.

My boys are into golfing and scouts. Those are their interests.

Dawn

As the pp says (and my first post goes on to explain) he will wear the tux for formal night on the cruise. Actually I hope I got it big enough to fit for next year's cruise also. He is a tap dancer so any time their is a school talent show or something like that he tends to land a spot in it and he likes to wear a tux to dance on stage, too. He'll beg and plead to wear it more and we will probably end up all dressing to the nines to go out to dinner somewhere once or twice in a year just becasue it is fun and will make him soooo happy (DD enjoys it too, but not the way he does). He'd wear the darned thing to school on a regular day if I'd let him:lmao:

He does wear dress pants and ties to school a lot:confused3 He likes them. I don't know why (his dad does not dress like that for work very often) but he does and why not:confused3 Sometimes we joke that he is our own little Alex P Keaton:rotfl2:
It has only been in the last year that he can stand the feel of jeans, but he still prefers slacks.

And a leather jacket? That is a fairly normal little boy item to want, is it not? He had a black leather jacket which he loved for about two years (I bought it really big on him). Eventually it dissapeared from the dance studio when he was dancing:rolleyes:

Ds11 is not into books. but loves these - read the last one in one sitting, as soon as he got home from school and found it on the table! :thumbsup2

Sounds just like my DS who just turned 12 this week and got the latest Wimpy kid book - it's been read overnight too.

I'm joining this thread for ideas. DS just turned 11, and I have no idea what to get him. This is what he's requested so far:

Mindflex
last 2 books of 39 Clues series
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (rated M - he's NOT getting this)

I read the reviews for Mindflex, and I think it will be one of those items he plays with for one week at the most.

In terms of other ideas, he just got the board game RISK for his birthday and loves it. He first played it at school and has a group that plays during indoor recess. I laughed about this since my DH and his buddies played RISK constantly in college and had a game going for days at a time.

Regarding book series, DS loves the Alex Rider series (Stormbreaker is book one).

I'm joining this thread for ideas. DS just turned 11, and I have no idea what to get him. This is what he's requested so far:

Mindflex
last 2 books of 39 Clues series
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (rated M - he's NOT getting this)

I read the reviews for Mindflex, and I think it will be one of those items he plays with for one week at the most.

In terms of other ideas, he just got the board game RISK for his birthday and loves it. He first played it at school and has a group that plays during indoor recess. I laughed about this since my DH and his buddies played RISK constantly in college and had a game going for days at a time.

Regarding book series, DS loves the Alex Rider series (Stormbreaker is book one).

My DS11 also loves the Alex Rider books. He said Stormbreaker was the best book he ever read, next to the Wimpy Kid books of course.

He really wants to try the 39 Clues books - why aren't they coming out in paperback? The hardcover books are so pricey!

He is asking for Stratego - the classic version is on sale at Target this week.

I'm glad to see this thread. My almost 10 year old hasn't told me anything he wants (other than a motorcycle which he is NOT getting). His older sisters have lists a mile long! He's in to sports, so we can always get new equipment, but he has no "big" item that he wants.

I get it NHdisneylover. My ds11 just this summer informed us that his wardrobe is woefully deficient. He now wants to go shopping at the Mall as a reward when he accomplishes something. And when we cruised to Bermuda 3 years ago, we had to go to Build-a-Bear first so we could get something for his bear to wear on formal night! He'd totally wear a tux if I let him. My ds is a gymnast, so luckily he doesn't want anything fancy for the school talent shows, he's good in shorts and a t-shirt.

He could care less about playing most sports (but loves the Celtics and Patriots), and thinks it's fun to create a schedule for the shows/parades at the 4 WDW parks --he periodically shows me the schedules he's worked out (with parade themes and shows he's created), which he thinks would enhance the enjoyment of guests...

I'm glad all kids are different, it makes it fun and interesting as a parent!

Maria :upsidedow

I think our boys might be twins sepertaed at birth--or at least long lost cousins:rotfl2:
Thanks for getting it. Oddly, Rio rarely runs into kids who care that is is a bit different than "typical" in some ways, but a lot of adults seem to care:confused3

Ah, I see.

Yeah, I don't have those kind of boys. They don't even want a leather jacket. :thumbsup2

What they really like are hoodies with cool stuff on them. I found a bunch at a thrift store last year in perfect condition. One even was from Animal Kingdom and had the Dinosaur from the Dinosaur ride on it. They were thrilled.

My boys are into golfing and scouts. Those are their interests.

Dawn
Cool about finding the clothes they like at the thrift store:goodvibes
I was tempted to answer your question with "wear them" but I decided that probably wasn't very nice:rotfl: Really, I agree with Worfiedoodles that the world is a much better place because everyone has different interests and talents. It sounds like your boys have found their niche:)

For those of you interested in the 39 clues books, check out your scholastic book warehouse sale in your area. They will sell the books for 50% off at this sale.

I am going to subscribe and read on. Our youngest son turns 11 on Dec. 3rd and he is not into the Legos and such anymore. He loves to play outside and of course play XBOX. It is so hard to figure out what to get this age group.

OT my son is 26 and married and asked for legos from WDW last time I went. His wife asked for Tibetan prayer flags. LOL

Just found a digital weather station at hearthsong.com for $24.99, 6% back through ebates. My DS will be THRILLED with this - he's been using a regular weather station since last winter.

Great ideas everyone!

Ooooh! I had another one.

Oldest DS got an Archery set when he turned 12. A real one not the cheapy plastic thing with suction cups. That was a huge hit. Got it from Bass Pro Shops. The great thing about it is it has to be used with an adult so it gets DH out there with them.

Could you tell me more about the Archery set you purchased? My DS is interested in learning more, but everything I can find around here is either Olympic level, or for little guys - like made out of foam.

Thanks for any help!

I've seen several mentions of Bakugan but haven't paid much attention because I didn't think my (11 yr old) son would be interested. Today he told me that he would like some Bakugan "stuff" for Christmas.

I know NOTHING about it. Can someone briefly explain? For someone just starting out what do I need to buy him. I still have a pretty good allowance left for his Christmas list...so where do I start?

I've seen several mentions of Bakugan but haven't paid much attention because I didn't think my (11 yr old) son would be interested. Today he told me that he would like some Bakugan "stuff" for Christmas.

I know NOTHING about it. Can someone briefly explain? For someone just starting out what do I need to buy him. I still have a pretty good allowance left for his Christmas list...so where do I start?

STart with a giftpack with mutiple balls in it. The balls are the real deal. The action figures are not the main event. Each ball comes with a card that can open it up when they are dualing. Each ball is classified by how many G's it has, in other terms, how much power. The more G's, the better. The kids toss them in an arena and see who wins. There is an actual arena you can buy. My ds loves his. ALDI currently has a nice giftpack for $14.99, which is very cheap. One pack with one ball is about $8-10 usually. Hope this Bakugan for Dummies lesson was helpful to someone (I do not mean that in a bad way.):santa:

What about Nerf guns? My son has some kind of Nerf gun on his list that looks like a machine gun! It has a belt of nerf "ammo" that automatically feeds into the gun. When I was little, and yes I am a girl, we used to play with cap guns - remember them? I guess it's sort of the same idea. Except I didn't have to retrieve any ammo and put it back in my gun, lol.:thumbsup2

What about Nerf guns? My son has some kind of Nerf gun on his list that looks like a machine gun! It has a belt of nerf "ammo" that automatically feeds into the gun. When I was little, and yes I am a girl, we used to play with cap guns - remember them? I guess it's sort of the same idea. Except I didn't have to retrieve any ammo and put it back in my gun, lol.:thumbsup2

If it is the Vulcan it is JUNK -- it continually gets jammed and is very frustrating. They currently have a newer model out that is blue and has a round cartridge of bullets (it's the Nerf Raider rapid fire). I have read better reviews on this model and I would suggest going with the Raider instead of the Vulcan. And buy more bullets!!! Those bullets have a way of falling behind something and never being seen again. :lmao:

If it is the Vulcan it is JUNK -- it continually gets jammed and is very frustrating. They currently have a newer model out that is blue and has a round cartridge of bullets (it's the Nerf Raider rapid fire). I have read better reviews on this model and I would suggest going with the Raider instead of the Vulcan. And buy more bullets!!! Those bullets have a way of falling behind something and never being seen again. :lmao:

If your son already has guns or you open stockings last the packages of darts make great stocking stuffers :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter