• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We'll have joy, we'll have fun, we'll have Christmas in the sun...TR Complete!

Gina, I love your trip reports. What I love even more is the way you speak of your family and your life together. I feel we are kindred spirits in that sense. I plan these trips for that special time away from the every day with the people I love the most. We are truly blessed aren't we? Life is good.:goodvibes

ETA) I hit send too soon. That picture of your guys with Gingy is PRICELESS!! And now I simply must go see Ice. My kids would have a blast!!

Thank you, pigletto! :goodvibes We *are* very blessed ::yes:: . No matter what happens, I never try to lose sight of what's really important.

More updates yet to come.......but again today, I have just been in a tailspin as far as productivity goes. Fingers crossed that TOMORROW I will have the next installment posted!

Thank you, pigletto! :goodvibes We *are* very blessed ::yes:: . No matter what happens, I never try to lose sight of what's really important.

More updates yet to come.......but again today, I have just been in a tailspin as far as productivity goes. Fingers crossed that TOMORROW I will have the next installment posted!

I'll be waiting! :goodvibes

Well Gina, you've done it yet again. You keep coming up with all these terrific places to put on the schedule for the next vacation.

ICE! looks fantastic. I love the shot of the ice waterfall -- it's so beautiful.

The Gaylord chain was recently purchased by Marriott, so I'm thinking I just might see whether we can use some of our points there next time.

Well Gina, you've done it yet again. You keep coming up with all these terrific places to put on the schedule for the next vacation.

ICE! looks fantastic. I love the shot of the ice waterfall -- it's so beautiful.

The Gaylord chain was recently purchased by Marriott, so I'm thinking I just might see whether we can use some of our points there next time.

:rotfl: Well, thank you papertraveller! While I'm a boring old poop in "real life", when it comes to vacations, I love throwing caution to the wind and trying something new. I figure one of these days I'm going to hit a real dud of an attraction, but so far.....so good!

I had heard that Gaylord was purchased by Marriott, and got really excited (we get some good points for staying there under their rewards program :thumbsup2). So I called a couple of days ago to see what their room rates were for the end of August.....and they are fully booked :eek: . For the END of August! :confused: Hokey smokes, talk about being in demand!!!

Ah well.....something to keep in mind for the next trip. After all, sometimes I need a good excuse to start planning again! :rolleyes1

After wrapping up our adventures at Gaylord Palms, the boys were hungry yet again (after that breakfast extravaganza?!?!? There is no end to their appetites!). So with our vacation time coming rapidly to an end and brisk plans for the evening, we opted to have our “big” meal of the day for lunch rather than dinner and headed to our family favourite, Olive Garden (the Kissimmee location).

Oh. So. Full. :faint: And I opted for no pasta……just soup and breadsticks. I will not want to get weighed when I go home, let me tell ya. :blush:

Following our Olive Garden gluttony, we decided to take full advantage of the splendour of the afternoon and head to Congo River (again, the Kissimmee venue) for a round of golf. It was hot, it was sunny, and we were shocked at how little time we had spent on the green over the course of the week. Normally we mini golf regularly while on vacation…..but we had just been so darn busy this Christmas getaway that we had only visited the Hawaiian Rumble course thus far. Oye!

2012_0201orlandochristmas0109_zpsc077abd8.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0099_zps4568ff01.jpg

Congo River is a beautiful course ::yes:: (pick your location……that statement applies to ALL of them) that we had admired many times as we passed by, but never seemed to make it to on previous trips. So Jake was happy to scratch another course off the Orlando to-do list. This will be the fifth different course we had experienced over our three 2012 holidays. We still have more to conquer, so I guess it’s time to start planning another getaway! :scratchin

2012_0201orlandochristmas0113_zpsea621249.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0102_zpsd9a4457a.jpg

The quality of the mini golf experience here was as good as promised. Lovely grounds, excellent condition of the course, challenging holes, and they had the most awesome calypso Christmas music playing in the background. We danced, we golfed, and we had an absolute super time.

2012_0201orlandochristmas0107_zps3da04000.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0104_zpsb156bab8.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0103_zps0f8848f0.jpg

Until the 14th hole, that is. At which point my ball got eaten by a water trap :sad:. Not to be retrieved, never to be seen again. Gina’s golf game hereby ended abruptly, and the sad part was…………..I WAS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad1: That’s right, I was poised to beat the boys for the second time in one trip!!! (for anyone who doubts that Christmas is the season for miracles, this proves it conclusively) . The boys were smugly relieved. I was heartbroken. Alas, life goes on, I took more pictures, and the guys pretended to be so sorry that I suffered such an unfortunate fate. Yeah, okay……….:rolleyes2.

2012_0201orlandochristmas0100_zps47290249.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0101_zps811f2a39.jpg

After our game, we enjoyed feeding the multitude of koi that swam abundantly in the Congo River ponds. For 25 cents, we got a whole handful of food from a gumball machine dispenser that caused a mighty active feeding frenzy. Now there’s good value entertainment!

2012_0201orlandochristmas0111_zpsa7e62ae2.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0112_zpsdfb8e278.jpg

And of course, we also visited the resident gators. Because you know I can’t resist those faces!

2012_0201orlandochristmas0108_zpse8344620.jpg

After golf, we had our final stop at the Nike Clearance Outlet (we had been there so many times this trip, I am sure they were considering assigning us our own parking space :rotfl2:) and then we were back to the Residence Inn to do a little organizing and packing. While we normally spend our last evening of vacation doing all the dirty work of getting ready to go home, that wouldn’t be the case tonight. We had special plans, and the boys were might excited. As a special Christmas gift for my basketball-loving duo, I had purchased tickets to the Orlando Magic/Toronto Raptors game at the Amway Center! :cool1: 14 rows from the court, we should be able to smell the sweat :crazy2: .

The next update is sure to be a “slam dunk”! Go Raptors! :cheer2:

Game time was set for 7 pm, so we left shortly after 5 to ensure we had ample time to make the commute and do a little exploring. Our journey to the Amway Center would take us into a part of Orlando which we had never explored before, and we anticipated that the holiday traffic could slow our progress considerably. Not to mention, the guys were super excited about watching their beloved Raptors play live and in person. So it didn’t take any prodding from Mom to get them out the door and into the truck. :laughing:

The drive to the Amway Center was SUPER EASY and really quite quick. While volumes on the road were probably quite elevated from the norm, there were no slowdowns or stoppages and we made excellent time. We had pre-purchased our parking pass for the Geico garage via Ticketmaster in advance of our trip, and again, getting to a space was EASY! The garage was well marked, traffic was flowing around the arena with no problems, there were a ton of attendants both inside and outside of the garage directing vehicles as they came and went, and it was just a very orderly and simple process. The garage was directly linked to the Center via a glassed-in walkway, so once we were parked it was up a set of stairs, down the skywalk, and voila! We had made it!!!

2012_0201orlandochristmas0116_zps9a69abd2.jpg

We had fantastic seats (center court, right on the aisle!) and a superb view. The boys were seriously impressed with Mom’s ticket-purchasing skills. I had actually got a super price by booking direct with the Orlando Magic via phone months prior, under a special offered to travelling Canadians. We got much better seats than we would have at the Rogers Centre back in Toronto, for a better price. Win-win! (and the game had not yet begun!!!)

2012_0201orlandochristmas0120_zpse567af55.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0118_zps6b6d8806.jpg

Look at these two. They were like a pair of little kids, they were so darn excited.

2012_0201orlandochristmas0115_zps38267a36.jpg

We grabbed some snacks at the concession stand (so much more reasonably priced than back home……a substantially large popcorn, a hot dog, a cheese dog, and a HUGE Orlando Magic souvenir cup of soda with free unlimited refills totalled $20.) then settled in for the game. The security staff at the Center had great fun teasing us throughout the evening, and we enjoyed joking back with them at each opportunity. All decked out in our Raptors wear, we were hard to miss in the sea of Magic blue!

A little pre-game entertainment:

2012_0201orlandochristmas0125_zps62c5076b.jpg

2012_0201orlandochristmas0128_zpsbdf08900.jpg

The game……….well, its was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S . Our Raptors sparkled. They gave us travellers lots to applaud for, winning by a huge 35 points over the home team. There were a surprising number of Canadians in attendance at the game (more than we would have expected) so we had some company as we cheered our team to victory. Way to go, Raptors!!!! :banana:

The opening tip-off:

2012_0201orlandochristmas0129_zps20a7f1a8.jpg

While many of the hometown fans departed early as the score spiralled out of control in the Rap’s favour, we stayed to the bitter end. Leaving the Center (and the subsequent drive back to the International Drive area) was just as easy as the commute earlier in the night, and we were “home” within about a half hour.

2012_0201orlandochristmas0130_zpsec3665f6.jpg

Tomorrow morning, we would leave Orlando but still not arrive home just yet. With our flight leaving mid-afternoon, we had opted to spend one final night of vacation in Niagara Falls, just a hop, skip and jump away from the Buffalo Airport. So stay tuned…..we are not quite done yet!

All good things come to an end, eventually. And so it was with heavy hearts that we packed our belongings in preparation for our journey home.

Don’t they look thrilled? Sigh.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0002_zps965b2f72.jpg

Our flight was not scheduled to depart until mid-afternoon, so we had lots of time to make our check-out a leisurely process. After breakfast, we loaded the truck and took the now-familiar trek to the gas station en route to the airport. Our rental was scheduled to be returned to Budget at 11 am, and we dropped it off at 10:58. How’s THAT for timing!

We checked our bags with Jetblue, then did a little shopping at some of the airport shops. Its become a bit of a custom on our flying home days. Retail therapy is good for the soul.

A little shot of one of the Christmas trees at MCO:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0005_zps69a9f9d3.jpg

Another custom that has somehow ensued is the obligatory hot dog at Nathan’s in the airport food court. I don’t know why, but we get one every time we fly home before we head to security. We couldn’t forego tradition on this trip, so we indulged.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0003_zpsd869dccb.jpg

And with the hot dog, we must have one of their funnel cakes. May God have mercy on my hips.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0004_zps14625f8a.jpg

While we anticipated security to be a nightmare in the holiday masses, it went smoothly and we were at our gate with tons of time to spare.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0008_zps8c274d12.jpg

2012_0203orlandochristmas0007_zpsb709de2b.jpg

In fact, the whole journey home was smooth as silk. Into the plane, we were up, up, and away. Buffalo (and all that snow) beckons. Kicking back to watch some TV while we snacked our way northward, we were reminded again (not that we needed a reminder ;)) why we LOVE Jetblue :lovestruc:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0009_zpsbaef1428.jpg

One more update to come…….our final night of vacation in Niagara Falls.

Yay Gina, I just noticed that you have a summer ticker :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Yes......we just booked our August getaway this morning!!! :yay:

The plan is to do both Disney waterparks (I think we will purchase waterpark AP's for each of us), to visit Cocoa Beach, and to do a whole lotta relaxing. We have never been to the Disney waterparks nor Cocoa Beach, so even after 4 trips, we are still finding new things to explore. We are staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort (another first) and I am soooo excited to have a ticker again! :banana:

We've been to both Disney waterparks many, many times. Both are lots of fun and offer different things. I think in general our fav is TL but my fav slide is the tobaggan racers at BB.

Make sure you get there early in the morning. Best time is a little before they open so that you can get a shady spot to call home for the day. Also, be aware that if there are any storms in the area they will close the park and make everyone leave. One last tip....consider watershoes. The cement gets really hot and also going around barefoot opens the door to injuries. The last thing you want on vacay is a broken toe.

We've been to both Disney waterparks many, many times. Both are lots of fun and offer different things. I think in general our fav is TL but my fav slide is the tobaggan racers at BB.

Make sure you get there early in the morning. Best time is a little before they open so that you can get a shady spot to call home for the day. Also, be aware that if there are any storms in the area they will close the park and make everyone leave. One last tip....consider watershoes. The cement gets really hot and also going around barefoot opens the door to injuries. The last thing you want on vacay is a broken toe.

We purchased water shoes for our August 2012 vacation and they were LIFESAVERS. I don't know how people could walk on that pavement in the middle of the afternoon without burning the bottoms of their feet :confused: . They are obviously tougher folks than we are.

We were also shocked at how beat up those shoes were at the end of our getaway. I guess you don't really realize how much abuse your tooties take in the lazy rivers, on the paved walkways, etc. Worth every penny IMHO.

We are going to try and plan very little for this trip so we can be really, really flexible and just go with whatever Mother Nature throws at us. We always hope for a week of sunshine but heaven knows what we will end up with :rolleyes1 . As long as there are no hurricanes, its all good :thumbsup2 .

ETA......where did you decide to stay for your Christmas trip? Details, please!!! :-)

Yeah for the new ticker!!:banana:

I called about the Shrek breakfast but they said to wait until 60 days before you will be visiting to make the ressie--so I have it on my calendar...

We may have to try that mini golf place as well. It looks beautiful. We are going for 2 weeks this time (a first) so we will be looking for other things to do besides park time!!

Looking forward to Niagara Falls! Never been, but would love to go if we can ever give up our Disney vacations!!;)

The plan is to do both Disney waterparks (I think we will purchase waterpark AP's for each of us), to visit Cocoa Beach, and to do a whole lotta relaxing. We have never been to the Disney waterparks nor Cocoa Beach, so even after 4 trips, we are still finding new things to explore. We are staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort (another first) and I am soooo excited to have a ticker again! :banana:

Oooh I can't wait to hear about your trip to SVR! That one has been on our list since we first decided to stay offsite for our 2014 getaway. ::yes::

Congrats on booking! :banana:

Yeah for the new ticker!!:banana:

I called about the Shrek breakfast but they said to wait until 60 days before you will be visiting to make the ressie--so I have it on my calendar...

We may have to try that mini golf place as well. It looks beautiful. We are going for 2 weeks this time (a first) so we will be looking for other things to do besides park time!!

Looking forward to Niagara Falls! Never been, but would love to go if we can ever give up our Disney vacations!!;)

If you are looking to do mini golf, we give top marks to both Congo River (which was the place we golfed this trip) and Pirates Cove. Both are immaculately maintained and beautifully themed. We have also done Gator Golf, Hawaiian Rumble and Volcano Island, all on International Drive. The three latter can be much more cost effective but aren't nearly as nice. I am thinking a return trip to Pirates Cove might be in order for August.

Niagara Falls is not to be missed. Well worth a trip!! (but from May - October only, as winters are not nearly as fun). We have been more times than I can count, and always find something new and fun to do. But its expensive......much more so than Orlando. We actually compared a week in NF with 8 nights in Orlando for this summer, and Orlando was a better value....similar price and much more for our money. Then we save on our shopping and dining, so we actually come out ahead (and that's including flight).

lol....I am almost tempted to do the Shrek breakfast again in August. :rotfl: I love character meals!

Oooh I can't wait to hear about your trip to SVR! That one has been on our list since we first decided to stay offsite for our 2014 getaway. ::yes::

Congrats on booking! :banana:

Thank you!! We are very excited to try out the Vistana Resort.......our other short-listers were Orange Lake (much more expensive), Bonnett Creek (no daily housekeeping) and the Sheraton Vistana Villages (same price as SVR, but since SVR is bigger, we thought it might offer more amenities for our non-waterpark days....and the rating on TripAdvisor was much higher for SVR). I have much research to do as to room location requests. Something to fill my time for the next few months!!!

Cocoa beach.....aahhhh, we could have just stayed right there. Every one of us absolutely loved it. We hated to leave. Iam sure August will be awesome, we went in December. It was "unseasonably warm" is what locals had said.
We also had went to Siesta Beach(Gulf of Mexico, approx 2hrs from where we stayed in Kissimmee) but that just doesn't compare to the ocean for us. We love the waves, the sounds, all of it. Whats funny is that some people we talked to at Siesta Beach said they never go to the ocean, they love the warmer water and calmness of the gulf. So to each their own :-) would love to go and stay at cocoa beach for a few days.

Cocoa beach.....aahhhh, we could have just stayed right there. Every one of us absolutely loved it. We hated to leave. Iam sure August will be awesome, we went in December. It was "unseasonably warm" is what locals had said.
We also had went to Siesta Beach(Gulf of Mexico, approx 2hrs from where we stayed in Kissimmee) but that just doesn't compare to the ocean for us. We love the waves, the sounds, all of it. Whats funny is that some people we talked to at Siesta Beach said they never go to the ocean, they love the warmer water and calmness of the gulf. So to each their own :-) would love to go and stay at cocoa beach for a few days.

I am VERY excited about our beach day (or days....who knows, we may even make it there twice, depending on the weather and how much we enjoy it!). I have never seen the ocean before, so this is a big item on my bucket list. Steve and Jake both have, but not moi.

Glad to here your family enjoy it so much!!

Ah, beach dreamin' when its -15 outside this morning. :beach: C'mon, August!! :thumbsup2

Our Christmas trip, the final chapter.

Touching down at the Buffalo airport just shortly after our scheduled landing time (not sure why we were a tad behind schedule…..that’s a first for us when flying Jetblue), we were off the plane in no time flat. We gathered our luggage, beckoned the shuttle, and stepped out into the frosty air.

Cue the loud moans, groans, and whining here. :mic:

Arriving back at the hotel, we discovered the truck buried in a heap of snow. Sensing it would be a while before we were on the road, I sent Jake into the hotel to gather the package that we had ordered before we left, but that hadn’t arrived by the time we left for our flight to Orlando (we advised the front desk staff that it would be arriving shortly after our departure, and they promised to keep it safe until we got home). Steve set to the task of clearing the mounds of snow off the Journey, and me? Well, I did the good motherly and wifely duty of tending to our caffeine requirements and went to purchase us all a Tim Hortons coffee and donut (ahhhhh……the comforts of home……nothing like the welcoming aroma of a Timmie’s double-double).

Eventually Steve emerged with snow-free truck and frozen fingers. We loaded the luggage (and Jake’s Christmas box from the front desk) and were on our way. :drive:

After our amazing border crossing en route to Buffalo, we had high hopes for this crossing as well. Unfortunately, luck wasn’t with us the second time around, and we were shocked to see the line-up for customs backed up right across the Rainbow Bridge and through the toll booth. Well, I guess this would take a while. And darn it all, I had to use the loo. Ag-oh-nee. :worried:

I must say, the view of the Falls from the Rainbow Bridge is quite a sight to see. But not when you have to pee…..all that water, rushing over the falls……..well, it made me have to pee more. D’oh!

Making it finally to a border agent after about a 50 minute wait in the line (they seemed to be checking EVERYONE’S trunks), the female guard chatted endlessly with us about our getaway (Steve joked afterward that either she was really, really trying to see if our story changed as the questions continued, or she was looking for tips and advice for her own family next season…….she asked us everything from how the weather was to if we missed our families while we were away to what kind of deals we found at the outlet malls…..very odd questions, but happily easy to answer!). Surprisingly, she never even asked to see inside the hatch of the truck, even with Jake’s unopened brown UPS shipment sitting in full view on the seat.

Thankfully for my bulging bladder, our Niagara Falls hotel was just a short drive from the Falls themselves. We dashed into the Best Western Cairn Croft on Lundy’s Lane to check in, use the loo, then decided to grab a nice dinner before settling in for the night. We were reaching the point of traveller’s weariness where we knew if we stopped, we’d be stopped for the night.

A Falls favourite of ours is the Italian establishment, Mick & Angelos (as seen on Man v. Food). Just a block or two from the Cairn Croft, we were there in a matter of minutes and seated immediately. We enjoyed a delicious (and quiet) meal together, rather subdued but not in a bad way (more like a comfortable, contented way). Between being so very tired and that “it’s good to be home” feeling (yes, I know we weren’t truly “home” yet, but we were back on Canadian soil), I think we were all rather reflective in our thoughts. I didn’t even take any photos. :scared1:

Following dinner, it was back to the hotel to check out our room.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0010_zps4ef6d537.jpg

2012_0203orlandochristmas0011_zpsbfc96c5b.jpg

We were assigned accomodations which bordered the courtyard and gave us this view from our window:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0039_zps8b7217cd.jpg

The courtyard was very nice, and well equipped for families. There was a large pool:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0035_zps059154c4.jpg

The hot tubs (there were two) were at the far end of the pool. There was a large games and play area:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0034_zpsdc3662f7.jpg

And a sunken garden to relax in.

2012_0203orlandochristmas0036_zpsfd4cef88.jpg

As you can see, these photos are mostly those which I took the following morning, as the light was subdued on our evening arrival meaning those pictures didn’t turn out quite as crisp. Here's one of the courtyard by night:

2012_0203orlandochristmas0027_zps59bf64f1.jpg

Jake anxiously tore into his Christmas box which contained his much-anticipated order from Champs Sports. What can I say……he loves his shoes. He’s the girl I’ll never have!!

2012_0203orlandochristmas0012_zpsa760d2bc.jpg

2012_0203orlandochristmas0013_zpsd2e6670a.jpg

Unfortunately for us, we had Foulmouthed Reggae and Rap Man and his loud, obnoxious family next door to us. During the course of the night, we had to call not once, not twice, but THREE times to ask the front desk to please, please, PLEASE send someone to shut him (and his music) up. Honestly, it was horrible (and the language….OMG). Not much sleep that night, unfortunately :furious:. Let’s just say the front desk staff did not ask how our stay was when we checked out. Sigh.

The next morning, we enjoyed breakfast in bed (I married a wonderful man……….he made an early morning run in the cold and the snow to grab the boy his favourite breakfast, and his dear wife her precious coffee), a period of the World Junior game, then we were on the road home.

Arriving shortly after noon, we had lots of time to unload the luggage, wash the laundry, take down the Christmas tree, and make peace with the cat (okay, that took longer than an afternoon, but I am pleased to confirm she has FINALLY forgiven us).

And that, my friends, is the end. :sad:

Thanks for sharing in our memories :thumbsup2 .

Another great trip report! I have always enjoyed reading about your trips and your tips on Sea World.

Thanks for all the details Gina-excellent TR!
We did the AP for the waterparks a few years ago. We had the good fortune of being invited to my cousin's May wedding in 2010 at the Boardwalk so instead of hitting the regular parks, we spent the whole time at BB and TL. It worked out amazing cause the temps were soooo hot and then the next year, just before they expired we flew down to do it all again. I honestly think these passes gave us such a tremedous value and it does make for a VERY relaxing vacation. We also did Cocoa beach for the first time that trip too! The drive is so easy and the beach is terrific, we even saw a beach wedding the day we went, you will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter