We'll have joy, we'll have fun, we'll have Christmas in the sun...TR Complete!

Another great trip report! I have always enjoyed reading about your trips and your tips on Sea World.

Thank you!!! :goodvibes

Thanks for all the details Gina-excellent TR!
We did the AP for the waterparks a few years ago. We had the good fortune of being invited to my cousin's May wedding in 2010 at the Boardwalk so instead of hitting the regular parks, we spent the whole time at BB and TL. It worked out amazing cause the temps were soooo hot and then the next year, just before they expired we flew down to do it all again. I honestly think these passes gave us such a tremedous value and it does make for a VERY relaxing vacation. We also did Cocoa beach for the first time that trip too! The drive is so easy and the beach is terrific, we even saw a beach wedding the day we went, you will love it!

:woohoo: Now that's the kind of encouragement that helps get me excited!!! (lol, not that I need any help, but you know what I mean :rotfl:)

My guys are hot blooded. They don't tend to endure the high temperatures as comfortably as I do. The water activities are a MUCH better choice for us than the theme parks on an August trip (though Steve is already pondering adding a one day park ticket for each of us to the plans....he would like to visit Animal Kingdom, apparently). Just like the fact that they don't take to crowds very well (which necessitated some non-traditional and less-popular activites planned for our Christmas trip), some non-typical plans for our summer getaway are just as important to keep everyone smiling :thumbsup2

Now, why couldn't any of MY cousins have decided to get married at Disney?!?! :confused:

Sad to read the end of the report but very happy to know there will be another one coming!:thumbsup2

Thanks for a great trip report, Gina! I really enjoyed reading it. Can't wait until my boys are old enough to ask to hit the malls on a vacation - I find it so sad to come back across the border with a huge unused exemption limit!

Loved reading this trip report! Very timely installments as well! Thank you for the new ideas for those of us who love going to Orlando.

We have visited Cocoa Beach a few times. We really liked an area called Lori Wilson Beach. There is a free parking lot, bathrooms where you can change, an outside shower area where you can rinse off the sand and it was never really crowded when we were there. You can do a search here for the directions, but it was very easy to find for us and we went on two separate occasions.

Have fun!!:goodvibes

Sad to read the end of the report but very happy to know there will be another one coming!:thumbsup2

Thank you!! I must admit, having another trip planned is good for the soul. I am a compuslive planner, so having a new focus is therapeutic (yup, a little OCD going on :rolleyes: ... I will admit it!).

Thanks for a great trip report, Gina! I really enjoyed reading it. Can't wait until my boys are old enough to ask to hit the malls on a vacation - I find it so sad to come back across the border with a huge unused exemption limit!

lol, it will come, trust me!!! :laughing: Jake hated shopping until he became a teenager. Now there's no place he's happier than in the Nike Store :rotfl: .

Thanks for reading along, all the way to the end!

Loved reading this trip report! Very timely installments as well! Thank you for the new ideas for those of us who love going to Orlando.

We have visited Cocoa Beach a few times. We really liked an area called Lori Wilson Beach. There is a free parking lot, bathrooms where you can change, an outside shower area where you can rinse off the sand and it was never really crowded when we were there. You can do a search here for the directions, but it was very easy to find for us and we went on two separate occasions.

Have fun!!:goodvibes

I love the new and unexplored. Thinking of doing a tour of an orange grove at Showcase of Citrus in August as well, if the weather co-operates and the guys are up to it. Looks like something "different" and there's some sort of tour on a monster truck, so I think it will appeal to the boys as well.

Lori Wilson Beach sounds fabulous....just exactly what we are looking for. Off to research that right now! Wondering how far it is from Ron Jon's Surf Shop, another place on our Cocoa Beach to-do list.

Thanks again for staying with my report from start to finish. It was so encouraging to read your kind comments all along the way!

I believe you go through the town where Ron Jon's is and continue on the same road to Lori Wilson. I don't think it's too far from there tho. :)

Gina,
Thanks so much for this report. Just made our Christmas plans to stay at the Residence Inn. Since we have Super Grover passes, we figured what better way to get the last use of them at the end of the year. And, we will head to BGT too. Really enjoyed it 2 years ago when we went there. Stayed at the Fairfield last time, so I am hoping the Residence will be just as nice, though not quite as close.

Will also be checking Groupon and Living Social closer to our leave time for mini golf discounts. We did the same thing 2 years ago, and have favorites that are almost the same as yours. I cannot remember which one it was, but I told my kids I hope our rental is still there when we were done with the course. I think it was the one near the C C's, near Universal, where we ate. Thought the same thing about my rental parked in their lot too!

Never been in Orlando over the holidays. It will be odd without the summer heat we are now so used to.

Great report Gina. I just finish reading your report as I just finished making my reservations at the 11 month mark for next Christmas with the family.
I am sure that when the dust settles and the memories are relived with great joy, that you and your family will take another Christmas vacation . Especially when your son gets older and you may only see him and his family for 2 days over the Christmas season. We have 5 people (Son,daughter, spouses and grandchild) in total to look after but my wife and myself are so happy when we can spend 7 days with them

I believe you go through the town where Ron Jon's is and continue on the same road to Lori Wilson. I don't think it's too far from there tho. :)

Perfect!!! :banana:

Gina,
Thanks so much for this report. Just made our Christmas plans to stay at the Residence Inn. Since we have Super Grover passes, we figured what better way to get the last use of them at the end of the year. And, we will head to BGT too. Really enjoyed it 2 years ago when we went there. Stayed at the Fairfield last time, so I am hoping the Residence will be just as nice, though not quite as close.

Never been in Orlando over the holidays. It will be odd without the summer heat we are now so used to.

Woo hoo! That deserves a little dance!!! :cool1:

I am confident you will really like the Residence Inn. We would not hesitate to go back. Those Super Grover passes are great, and offer a lot of wonderful benefits. I would love to know how you enjoy BG at the holidays. Remember me next January and post some pics!!!

Great report Gina. I just finish reading your report as I just finished making my reservations at the 11 month mark for next Christmas with the family.
I am sure that when the dust settles and the memories are relived with great joy, that you and your family will take another Christmas vacation . Especially when your son gets older and you may only see him and his family for 2 days over the Christmas season. We have 5 people (Son,daughter, spouses and grandchild) in total to look after but my wife and myself are so happy when we can spend 7 days with them

I would love to take another Christmas vacation in the future. When Jake is older, maybe an all-inclusive......I would love to go to Jamaica or the Dominican. I would also love to see New York City during the holiday season.....if only it were warmer there in December than it is at home!!!

Thanks Gina,

Loved your report and living vicariously through your eyes. Your pictures are great and commentary is insightful. Glad to hear you are staying on our home turf next trip. I hope you love it as much as we do, and I really look forward to seeing it through your eyes. Just another 7 weeks til we are back "home".

Wondering if you have ever tried Brasa in Niagara Falls? I have to think that even with your boys' appetites, they may meet their match! Really, really good BBQ Churasco meats - all you can eat! A bit pricey, but deals can be found - especially for a deal hunter like you.

Thanks Gina,

Loved your report and living vicariously through your eyes. Your pictures are great and commentary is insightful. Glad to hear you are staying on our home turf next trip. I hope you love it as much as we do, and I really look forward to seeing it through your eyes. Just another 7 weeks til we are back "home".

Wondering if you have ever tried Brasa in Niagara Falls? I have to think that even with your boys' appetites, they may meet their match! Really, really good BBQ Churasco meats - all you can eat! A bit pricey, but deals can be found - especially for a deal hunter like you.

Well, thank you Sir! :goodvibes

I am getting soooooo excited about August. One of Steve's aunts and her husband go to Vistana every March with friends (who own there) and their Facebook pictures of the resort make us drool. I can't wait to see it for myself.

Hmmmmmmmm.....Brasa, you say? Never been there, but definitely going to check out where to find it in NF. We usually end up at the Falls at least once a year, and we're always looking for new places to try. My boys are meatatarians (as you could probably tell :rotfl: , they are so skinny! :rotfl2:) so all-you-can-eat barbecue is very much appealing. And you know I love the thrill of the chase for a good discount :thumbsup2 . Its like a sport. I'm not very athletic, so bargain hunting is more my style!!! :lmao:

Yet another delight of a TR, Gina! Thanks so much. :) I only wish you hadn't started and finished the thing while we were traveling ourselves. :p I guess technically you started it the day before we left for Orlando, but somehow I missed that at the time. ;)

We have never been to the Disney waterparks nor Cocoa Beach, so even after 4 trips, we are still finding new things to explore.

:thumbsup2

Much as I enjoy them, there's so much more to Orlando than the Disney parks. And my list keeps growing every time you do a report!

Yet another delight of a TR, Gina! Thanks so much. :) I only wish you hadn't started and finished the thing while we were traveling ourselves. :p I guess technically you started it the day before we left for Orlando, but somehow I missed that at the time. ;)

:thumbsup2

Much as I enjoy them, there's so much more to Orlando than the Disney parks. And my list keeps growing every time you do a report!

Welcome home, shalom!!! I hope you had an awesome trip! (how was the weather?)

I am glad I have given you maybe a new idea or two for your next getaway. :thumbsup2 I just got a very kind PM from another Diser with a great idea for this August's getaway that I'm off to research right now. At this rate, I will have no problem filling another 8 days this summer!

I hope you had an awesome trip!

We did, I think. The weeks beforehand were crazy and I'm still recovering, so not dead sure yet. I'll know more after I finish my trip report. ;)

(how was the weather?)

Ridiculous warm. I thought we'd finally get some cooler temps, but up until the last full day, it was like being there in May. :confused3

At this rate, I will have no problem filling another 8 days this summer!

And you haven't even done the Morse Museum or Leu Gardens! :thumbsup2 Which somehow I suspect will not make your son's to-do list anytime soon. :p

We finally got to Leu Gardens this last time, but barely. We just did a little corner of them -- meant to get back when it wasn't a free day but never did. The gardens are huge, I hadn't realized. And now I'm wondering where my pictures are from there, because I know I took some and they're not on Picasa. :scratchin

We did, I think. The weeks beforehand were crazy and I'm still recovering, so not dead sure yet. I'll know more after I finish my trip report. ;)

Ridiculous warm. I thought we'd finally get some cooler temps, but up until the last full day, it was like being there in May. :confused3

And you haven't even done the Morse Museum or Leu Gardens! :thumbsup2 Which somehow I suspect will not make your son's to-do list anytime soon. :p

We finally got to Leu Gardens this last time, but barely. We just did a little corner of them -- meant to get back when it wasn't a free day but never did. The gardens are huge, I hadn't realized. And now I'm wondering where my pictures are from there, because I know I took some and they're not on Picasa. :scratchin

Oooooh.......a trip report! :cool1: Ya know I'll be checking that out later today!!!

So glad you had some fabulous weather. Its minus -20 here this morning :scared: so I'm doing a lot of Florida dreaming these days.

You know, we just *might* get to the Leu Gardens this trip after all, if things work out like I hope they will. Jake has invited a friend to come along with us this summer, so if his parents agree, then while our teenagers sleep in for a morning or two (or three, or four!), Steve and I will have some time to ourselves to do some adult exploring :thumbsup2 I have a whole list of "boring, grown up places" :rotfl2: that I want to visit. So keep those idea's coming!!!

You're quick! Went back to add some stuff and you'd already replied. Guess you're not exaggerating about the Florida dreaming. ;)

Oooooh.......a trip report! :cool1: Ya know I'll be checking that out later today!!!

I'm stalled on that at the moment, because I have to pry some pictures out of hubby's camera. He took pictures of the unit the first day, then didn't use that camera the rest of the trip, so they're still sitting in it! I'll get after him this evening and hopefully post the first two day's worth tonight. Right now it's just intros.

Its minus -20 here this morning :scared: so I'm doing a lot of Florida dreaming these days.

It's in the single digits Fahrenheit here, which after two weeks in 80 degree weather is cold. Went out and corralled the outdoor cats last night -- one of them loves coming in when it's cold, but the other one can be a pain. She apparently thought it was pretty cold yesterday, though, because we managed to get hold of her and bring her in and she didn't even complain about it!

I have a whole list of "boring, grown up places" :rotfl2: that I want to visit. So keep those idea's coming!!!

There's a lot of shopping out by the Morse museum, although the store I thought sounded the coolest has closed. :sad1: It's not discount shopping, though; more wandering around looking at pretty and unusual stuff. And there's a boat ride somewhere in Winter Park that's supposed to be nice and peaceable; canals and mansions, mostly.

Star Trek: The Exhibition has opened in Orlando, but we saw it in St. Louis so I had no plans of checking it out. Dunno what they're charging but if it's reasonable I'd recommend it for ST fans. I failed to check the Orlando Science Center before we went, and they had a Star Wars exhibit I kind of wish I'd planned on. We saw ads for it while there but didn't try to squeeze it in. The Science Center often has cool traveling exhibits there when we visit but there's just so much else to do we haven't gotten to it yet!

I can't believe you've gone out so many times and not seen the ocean! That surprised me. You should do that! The ocean is way cool! :beach:

I haven't been to Lori Wilson Park but sent hubby and some of the kids there once; they thought it was fine but aren't very persnickity. It's a beach, there's a bathroom, they're good. :upsidedow

I'm looking forward to your possible review of the Showcase of Citrus monster truck ride. That was something I considered for our January trip but just couldn't fit it in; only time we've gone when there was ripe fruit we were interested in picking. ;) But I should think the monster truck ride is fun any time of year. :thumbsup2

I can't believe you've gone out so many times and not seen the ocean! That surprised me. You should do that! The ocean is way cool! :beach:

Trust me, its tops on the agenda for this getaway :thumbsup2 .

Jake is convinced he may become shark food in the process, but I don't care......I am willing to sacrifice my first-born (heck, my only-born) in order to finally dip my toes in the Atlantic. :rotfl:

Trust me, its tops on the agenda for this getaway :thumbsup2 .

Jake is convinced he may become shark food in the process, but I don't care......I am willing to sacrifice my first-born (heck, my only-born) in order to finally dip my toes in the Atlantic. :rotfl:

Unless he's planing on wearing a wet suit and thrashing around in the water like a seal he shouldn't be to concerned about sahrks:rotfl2:

Unless he's planing on wearing a wet suit and thrashing around in the water like a seal he shouldn't be to concerned about sahrks:rotfl2:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He figures he's kinda "meaty" (his mom is a good cook, ya know ;) ) so he thinks he would be rather appealing to the resident carnivores!!

Ah, teenagers. If they made sense, it would take all the fun out of parenting. :lmao:

Really enjoyed your trip report. It was neat to read about things in Orlando other than Disney. I went to a convention once at The Gaylord Palms but we had spent several days at The Swan first and were missing Disney so I don't think we gave it a chance. We knew it was a great hotel but we missed Disney. I think I would look at it differently now that I have been to Disney more. So nice to see that your son enjoys spending time with you- I hope someday my kids are like that too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter