Weird wedding celebration

leebee

DIS Veteran
I know we on the DIS love a good wedding thread! I have to share this, it's the weirdest wedding invitation I've ever heard of! DD and SIL are going to a "wedding celebration" hosted by a couple who were married during Covid and couldn't have the full wedding they always wanted. The wedding is 6 days away. DD just learned of a wedding website. Guests are invited to attend the Wednesday festivities, to pitch a tent and set up tables, and Thursday festivities, which include decorating and making bouquets. The celebration is on Saturday, to which guests are asked to bring a dish to share (to feed 20 people, 100 are attending, there's a sign-up sheet), their own beverages (alcoholic and non), and their own place settings- plates, bowls, utensils, napkins, and glasses- none of which can be disposable as this is a zero-impact celebration. (DH is pretty amused, wants to know what they are doing about toilet paper :crazy2: ) I mean... I thought I'd heard of everything, but this takes the cake (which people have been asked to bring, specific flavors decorated in specific colors to match the decor)!! DD's pretty salty about this, especially as it's a 4 hour drive away and they will be tenting for the evening as the location is a seacoast town where hotel/airbnb prices are about $350 a night, if you can get a room for just one night. They won't be doing any of the pre-festivities, of course, and I guess we'll hit Goodwill for dishes that we don't mind "losing" if they don't make it back (dirty?) from the wedding.

That sounds more like something one would have planned DURING Covid. I would have expected a delayed celebration to be about having the kind of special event that wasn't allowed during the height of the pandemic. Crazy stuff.

That is kind of strange LOL! I feel bad for those who had to scale down their weddings during to covid. I think a lot of those folks are now having celebrations. Yes covid is still here, but we are living with it now. We have vaccines and better treatments, so life is moving forward.

I think every couple should celebrate as they see fit. Some may think it's weird, but for them it is special and meaningful. That said, if I got this invite, I would politely decline. I am not interested in a pot luck wedding, or bringing food, drinks and plates and cooking. If I am going to a wedding I am not camping.

I'd send them 50 bucks in the mail and wish them congratulations, best wishes. No way would I go to something like that.

ETA...Maybe 100 bucks, if close friends, but seems they are hardly known, what with 6 days notice. :confused3 :confused:

Last edited:

At first I thought I’d decline the invite. But the more I thought about it, I kind of like the casual nature of the whole thing. Bringing all my own stuff would be weird but anymore I avoid things where I have to dress up too much.

Yeah, that's a weird wedding invitation...to pitch a tent and camp for a few nights and then participate in a "bring your own food, drink, utensils, plates, and everything."

It's a potluck wedding.

I'd send a gift and say I couldn't attend.

:laughing: Personally, I wouldn't have a wedding like that in a million years and if it were my DS, I'd cringe but all the while pray he knew the crowd well enough to make such plans. If I received such an invitation, my feelings on it would be the same for any other event I was invited to: If it sounds fun to me, or if celebrating with this particular couple is very meaningful, I'm in. If not, polite regrets. Invitations aren't summonses and if anything about it offended me past my tolerance, I just wouldn't go.

:hyper2: If they do decide to go, please do come back and "dish the tea" or however the kids put it these days. ;)

So a summer potluck/picnic? Sounds fine to me.

My issue would be the travel expenditures not the other stuff although camping is not my favorite thing I've done it in 30 degrees in late October so doable to me. If I didn't want to help out then I'd go only on Saturday.

Doesn't really seem awful to me, maybe instead of looking at it as a wedding thing look at it as a big ole collective celebration.

I bet you the guests would have fun getting together and chatting it up after all the things we've been through with this pandemic.

Honestly while it is different for a wedding not any crazier than some of the other weddings that have been posted about on the DIS. I'd actually rather attend one like that than one where I am expected to wear a floor length formal gown in the heat.
Wait. Do we know the dress code? Maybe it’s black tie. Lol.
Or bring your own fabric and sewing machine. :lmao:

I just want the post wedding report! It may be worth the drive!!

I can get on board with the potluck. However, the setting up (should be reserved for asking a few close friends separately) and the bring your own plates, etc. Is what puts it over the top for me.

Different does not have to be weird, but can still be tacky.

They'd lose me at 'camping'. Not everybody is a camper or has the money to purchase a tent, or the ability to set it up. Never mind all the other stuff. It says " We want to celebrate but we want YOU to do all the work and spend all the money."

I agree that I'd be sending my regrets along with a nice card and a money gift.

I know we on the DIS love a good wedding thread! I have to share this, it's the weirdest wedding invitation I've ever heard of! DD and SIL are going to a "wedding celebration" hosted by a couple who were married during Covid and couldn't have the full wedding they always wanted. The wedding is 6 days away. DD just learned of a wedding website. Guests are invited to attend the Wednesday festivities, to pitch a tent and set up tables, and Thursday festivities, which include decorating and making bouquets. The celebration is on Saturday, to which guests are asked to bring a dish to share (to feed 20 people, 100 are attending, there's a sign-up sheet), their own beverages (alcoholic and non), and their own place settings- plates, bowls, utensils, napkins, and glasses- none of which can be disposable as this is a zero-impact celebration. (DH is pretty amused, wants to know what they are doing about toilet paper :crazy2: ) I mean... I thought I'd heard of everything, but this takes the cake (which people have been asked to bring, specific flavors decorated in specific colors to match the decor)!! DD's pretty salty about this, especially as it's a 4 hour drive away and they will be tenting for the evening as the location is a seacoast town where hotel/airbnb prices are about $350 a night, if you can get a room for just one night. They won't be doing any of the pre-festivities, of course, and I guess we'll hit Goodwill for dishes that we don't mind "losing" if they don't make it back (dirty?) from the wedding.
Is your husband expected to write their vows also.???? I assume everyone that sets up will also have to clean up. If DD has to go to work on the following Monday, i would do the 1 night and get out of there. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. However..... If it is a very young couple just starting out or a couple that has been hurt financially or perhaps a military couple, I would go all in and stay all week to help...however, if this couple lives high on the hog and is just milking their guests to do the work and even expect a $$$ gift, I would get in and out quickly.

If this is more of a family reunion with the Saturday's wedding as the core....I would go all in also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter