We got Covid on a Disney trip

altobalk

Earning My Ears
Wife and I had a 6 night stay at poly 11/6 through 11/12. We both became symptomatic on 11/14 and tested positive on 11/16. There is a slight chance we may have had it before the trip but doubtful. This trip is the riskiest thing we've done since the start of the pandemic. We followed the rules, tried not to touch railings and anything else that people touch often. The places we didn't feel comfortable were the plane rides to and from and in the parks, (particularly in the mornings) in high traffic areas like Galaxy's Edge. Social distancing is impossible when there are many people all trying to be in the same place. We thought they did a good job in ride queues. Stay safe out there.

Maybe you did and maybe you did not. I believe every single venture out in the public, is a chance we take to exposure. Your vacation from start to end had numerous exposures. You took that chance. I pray all the people you came in contact with are healthy and not infected. I don't mean that as a slap to you because I also believe most persons would never want that to happen. Another very good reason to heed all the CDC recommendations to not have tradtional big T-day gatherings.
Happy to know you're both not in a serious ill condition. God speed for your recovery and Happy Holidays.

saying you got covid "in disney" is possible but since you don't know for sure the title is somewhat reckless.

update: the title originally said "We got Covid in Disney". The OP has changed the title since this post.

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your illness. I hope you have no after affects. Masks, hand sanitizers, social distancing and hand washing can only do so much. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry to hear this. Can you tell me more about your travel/experience---did you rent a car, use disney transport, have a layover?
We did rent a car and traveled from park to hotel all the time except for once going to Disney Springs when we knew we'd be having drinks. We had direct flights to and from our destination. All in all we thought Disney is doing what they can to prevent the spread of Covid. There are somethings that cannot be controlled and we understood that. I'm not saying Disney is at fault, I'm just saying that the virus is there and to be aware.

saying you got covid "in disney" is possible but since you don't know for sure the title is somewhat wreck less.
I don't think it's reckless at all. Knowing what I've done before the trip, I can say with certainty I contracted Covid in the 7 days I was on the trip. People need to understand that it does and will happen. I'm not faulting disney, I knew the risk, I'm just trying to be informative.

Last edited:
We did rent a car and traveled from park to hotel all the time except for once going to Disney Springs when we knew we'd be having drinks. We had direct flights to and from our destination. All in all we thought Disney is doing what they can to prevent the spread of Covid. There are somethings that cannot be controlled and we understood that. I'm not saying Disney is at fault, I'm just saying that the virus is there and to be aware.

Thanks! We're doing the same, aside from Disney Springs. I've been concerned (obviously, not concerned enough to not go) but this reminds me to not let my guard down.

I don't think it's reckless at all. Knowing what I've done before the trip, I can say with certainty I contracted Covid in the 7 days I was on the trip. People need to understand that it does and will happen. I'm not faulting disney, I knew the risk, I'm just trying to be informative.
Just saying it's also possible it occured on the airplane or in the airport.

Thank you for sharing. I miss Disney but I do have concerns with the crowds and airplanes, especially going into the busy holiday season. Glad you did not have a serious case and that you are recovering!

Perhaps you got Covid on the plane. Your title makes it sound like you can say with 100% certainty that you know you got it on Disney property, when you absolutely don't.

Thank you for sharing. Based on your timeline, it is possible you were infected while at Disney. There are lots of people breathing, asymptomatic transmission is high for this pathogen. I appreciate that folks are concerned that maybe the transit itself was the culprit.
Regardless, I think it's helpful to hear the reality that there was an infection while you were traveling. Having real life anecdotes help with a "reality check" when evaluating choices. I wish you and your family well with your recovery.

Thank you for sharing. Based on your timeline, it is possible you were infected while at Disney. There are lots of people breathing, asymptomatic transmission is high for this pathogen. I appreciate that folks are concerned that maybe the transit itself was the culprit.
Regardless, I think it's helpful to hear the reality that there was an infection while you were traveling. Having real life anecdotes help with a "reality check" when evaluating choices. I wish you and your family well with your recovery.
The reality check was the point of the thread. When we were considering going we took into account that we didn't hear anyone complain about getting sick there. Like I said Disney is doing what they can and we did everything that we were supposed to but sometimes things happen.

I am scheduled to be there 12/28-1/4 after cancelling several trips already; this is making me reconsider. We would be driving down and not taking Disney transportation or taking off masks anytime when indoors (obviously not eating indoors) but this does bring home the risks. Hmmm.

Wife and I had a 6 night stay at poly 11/6 through 11/12. We both became symptomatic on 11/14 and tested positive on 11/16. There is a slight chance we may have had it before the trip but doubtful. This trip is the riskiest thing we've done since the start of the pandemic. We followed the rules, tried not to touch railings and anything else that people touch often. The places we didn't feel comfortable were the plane rides to and from and in the parks, (particularly in the mornings) in high traffic areas like Galaxy's Edge. Social distancing is impossible when there are many people all trying to be in the same place. We thought they did a good job in ride queues. Stay safe out there.
To the best of any available information, you can become symptomatic anywhere from 2 to 14 days from exposure. Through the information provided, if you were symptomatic on 11/14, you could've been exposed as early as 11/1. So your claim of it being a "slight" chance you had it before the trip isn't accurate and seems a little fear monger-ish to me as you had equal days before and during the trip in the likely window of infection.

I just got back from the grocery store where there were very few people (small town store...not Walmart/Target type of place), but it didn't change the fact that I was near half a dozen people while I was there. Is it more likely that you'd catch a highly contagious and communicable disease in relative proximity to hundreds (thousands) of random people vs half a dozen? Of course. Is it a certainty? No.

That said, you're probably not wrong. We were there in September and while the crowds then were significantly lower then than now, it's still been the largest "crowd" we've been around before and since. We are headed back in January.

Stay safe and healthy. I hope you have a speedy recovery and no lingering after effects.

I hope you feel better soon. I know you’ll get people who say it could have happened here or there and that’s true; however, I’ve been there done that and bought the “I went to Disney World and all I got was COVID” t-shirt. We were there 10 days after driving there and driving home. I got symptoms the day before we left so day 9. Yes it could have happened anywhere but judging that we were there for that length of time, no planes, wore masks, hand washing and hand sanitizer constantly etc etc - it can happen and will happen at WDW. There’s a large crowd, winding queues, bottlenecks, restaurants etc. we knew the risk going but figured if we took precautions (like driving, one bedroom villa to cook meals, brought air purifier for room and wash clothes) we would be fine. It can happen. Thanks for your report - at the end of the day, just be cautious everyone. I was lucky that it was a mild case but remember, Disney doesn’t live in a vacuum - there will be cases. stay safe everyone. OP, thanks for sharing your story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!