WDW Servers average $76,000 per year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm coming in a little late with the area I want to address, but the question of "why does it matter what the servers make?" was brought up. As if we shouldn't even be discussing it.

Why it matters to me is becuase of all tipping threads where people say "well I tip at least 20% because of all the people that stiff them and they work so hard and they get paid so little and and and..." Basically implying that those of us who use a 20% tip as our upper limit for exceptional service are some kind of tightwads who are treating the servers "like pieces of crap" (yes that was posted in a recent thread) and have no right to eat in a civilized restaurant.

I know it's hard work - I've waited tables too. And I certainly don't begrudge anyone making a good living. But I think it matters for discussion on the DIS so that those out there who continually post as if WDW servers are living below the poverty level can learn that it just isn't so and to stop trying to guilt other people into what I personally consider over-tipping. If you want to tip 25% or more go for it. But don't lay a guilt trip on the rest of us over it.

The truth is really somewhere in the middle. I agree that the amount you tip should not reflect the amount of money you are assuming that someone makes per year (high or low) and should be based off of the socially accepted percentage for tipping and the level of service you have received.

However, this thread started out with "Disney Servers Make $75K per year", which is misleading and as has been explained by other Disney servers, incorrect.

My personal opinion is that some people (not specifically picking on the OP), will search for reasons to not tip or under-tip and this is just another method for doing that. "Wow, Disney servers make 75K a year, what do they need my money for?"

:confused3 Also is people really think Disney servers make that much then if they want they can fill out a application and be a server themselves.. Come on do you really think they make 76,000 a year serving tables?? I work 40 hours a week right now at Ihop and I make around 300.00-400.00 a week depending on business and tips. Some people will always find a reason to not tip or not tip well for me this is just one of them. :rolleyes1

Actually by arranging the search differently... you can actually get more accurate information.

I suggested "Restaurant Waiter / Lake Buena Vista, FL"

LBV is pretty much on-property. The salaries are MUCH more in line with salaries that Disney employees would get "pre-tips" ... and THIS list of related jobs are CLEARLY in food service and not data service. :)

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Restaurant+Server&l1=Lake+Buena+Vista,+FL

Here are some real numbers that you can crunch: I work 3-4 shifts a week at around 6 hrs a shift. The most I have ever made in a night is $214 and the least is $78. I average around $120 a night. It does average $20/hr, but I only get 18-24 hrs a week.

`I serve at a mid range WDW restaurant and the majority of the servers work the same amount and make the same.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about this but the $76,000 is very accurate, more than likely LOW.

Just my input -- Disney almost NEVER hires full time servers, because then they would have to give them benefits. I know...they hired me as a server and told me it was nearly impossible to get a full time position (ie NEVER).

$76,000 is for a WDW server that works 40 or more hours a week on average. The nice lady that gave us her own personal info plainly states she averages 18 hours a week and works only a couple of days! Do the math, she's right in line with what I said! :goodvibes

Honestly, if anyone is serving in a WDW restaurant, and they work at least 40hours a week they should be very close to that figure.

But, virtually nobody does. The vast majority of Disney servers work part time. This thread title is "WDW Servers average $76,000 per year!!!", and that is just not true. One CM has stated she works 18-24 hours a week, and that almost all of her co-workers do the same. Another poster said she was hired as a server and that it is nearly impossible to get full time hours.

If I make $20 an hour, but I work 20 hours a week, my yearly salary is $20,800 -- NOT $41,600.

However, this thread started out with "Disney Servers Make $75K per year", which is misleading and as has been explained by other Disney servers, incorrect.

My personal opinion is that some people (not specifically picking on the OP), will search for reasons to not tip or under-tip and this is just another method for doing that. "Wow, Disney servers make 75K a year, what do they need my money for?"

Thank you, DiszyDean, that was exactly my concern. This thread appeared during the midst of several rather heated threads about tipping (with some posts by a few rather adamant folks who do not believe that anyone should suggest or tell them that it is customary to tip servers in this country as part of their wages, and that there is a certain range that is reasonably expected), and although that may not have been the original posters intent...the timing and title of this thread made me cringe. :scared:

:confused3 Also is people really think Disney servers make that much then if they want they can fill out a application and be a server themselves.. Come on do you really think they make 76,000 a year serving tables?? I work 40 hours a week right now at Ihop and I make around 300.00-400.00 a week depending on business and tips. Some people will always find a reason to not tip or not tip well for me this is just one of them. :rolleyes1

Ok, but we are talking about Disney restaurants.

I agree with you stinky pete. Everyone always views the servers as "poor servers". I look at it like poor chefs. Some chefs work much harder than the servers. Yet, they are not bringing home anything close to 200 per night. Alot, get paid considerably lower than the servers. Yet, they are the ones really scrambling, and no server, can attest to that fact. FYI. I worked as a chef for many years, and I have never adapted the idea, of the "poor server". When some close server friends of mine, can average anywhere in the range of 300-500 per night. After tip out. So, I do believe the OP, could be right on the money.

Should people tip less, or stiff the servers absolutely not. But, I will never tip anything higher than 15%, unless it is outstanding service.

Good for them!!!

Sadly in this economy, that's not a huge amount anymore- my DD's preschool give scholarship money to all families of 4 making under $90,000 a year. I said to my Dh- we've entered into strange times when a family making $90K is in need of financial assistance- is $100 K a year the new $50 K????

I am happy they make that much- you need pay like that to deal with all the crap from guests!!!!

Katiebell. However, if they did work 40 hours a week. They would be somewhere around that figure. Most people who work a part time, can afford to. Others, would need or pick up another part time.

Noone can say that Disney server workers do not make a decent salary, no matter how many hours they work. Can we agree to that?:confused3

Katiebell. However, if they did work 40 hours a week. They would be somewhere around that figure. Most people who work a part time, can afford to. Others, would need or pick up another part time.

Noone can say that Disney server workers do not make a decent salary, no matter how many hours they work. Can we agree to that?:confused3

I think the point is that servers are not generally allowed to work 40 hours a week or any hours per week for which they would be considered full time employees with benefits. It is not a choice. A lot of servers I have spoken to have two jobs because neither one will give them full-time hours. They are not working part-time because it is so lucrative.

I think the point is that servers are not generally allowed to work 40 hours a week or any hours per week for which they would be considered full time employees with benefits. It is not a choice. A lot of servers I have spoken to have two jobs because neither one will give them full-time hours. They are not working part-time because it is so lucrative.

My point is. They still make a good salary. Way more than what a chef would make part time. Probably alot of service people part time. I will never, adhere to the "poor server" debate. Not in Disney, ever.

Good for them!!!

Sadly in this economy, that's not a huge amount anymore- my DD's preschool give scholarship money to all families of 4 making under $90,000 a year. I said to my Dh- we've entered into strange times when a family making $90K is in need of financial assistance- is $100 K a year the new $50 K????

I am happy they make that much- you need pay like that to deal with all the crap from guests!!!!

In this economy. Yes, make 50k, and you are poor. Depending on where you live. Here, in Long Island. You had better, be making more than 90k, to even make ends meet. And, at 90k, a year they would not meet long. Why I had to retire from being a chef. :teacher:

My point is. They still make a good salary. Way more than what a chef would make part time. Probably alot of service people part time. I will never, adhere to the "poor server" debate. Not in Disney, ever.

Well, I don't think the theme of this thread is the "poor server" debate. The title of this thread seems to indicate the "rich server" debate.

As I said, in a previous post, the truth is probably somewhere inbetween. I think it has been pretty much proven that servers are not making an average of 75K per year but probably closer to 30K per year. Still decent money, but regardless, it should have nothing more to do with tipping than if you thought the server only made 15K per year.

If someone pays me $100 per hour to do their taxes for them, by the same logic you could multiply that by 40 hours per week and say that I make over $200K per year even though that is probably not the case because not many spend 40 hours a week doing people's taxes.

And by the way, any point that a chef should make more than a server or works harder than a server really isn't a point at all, its more of an opinion.

And really, cost of living roughly compares out with what it is here vice down there.. Obviously you wouldn't want to live in like Celebration, get a bit away from Orlando area its not AS BAD cost of living wise I imagine.

At least according to the salary Calculator on cnn.com, the cost of living (while higher) isn't that much higher in Orlando then other southern or midwest cities.

For example....$76K in Orlando =

$69,785 in Indianapolis (where I'm at)

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/cost...StateMenu=IN&to_city=Indianapolis+IN&x=24&y=9

Some other cities....

$66,606 in Jackson, MS
$67,557 in Nashville, TN
$67,891 in Cincinnati, OH
$70,447 in Jacksonville, FL
$70,860 in Atlanta, GA
$82,504 in Chicago, IL
$83,411 in Miami, FL

I don't believe that servers in WDW make 76k a year. From what I have read the managers don't even make that kind of money.

Is anyone else tired of the threads about tipping? Just curious. Tip, don't tip. 15,18,20%. Tipping is a very personal decision and it is up to the customer to tip what they feel comfortable with.

From now on, any thread with "tip" in the title, I am bypassing :)

Ok, but we are talking about Disney restaurants.

I agree with you stinky pete. Everyone always views the servers as "poor servers". I look at it like poor chefs. Some chefs work much harder than the servers. Yet, they are not bringing home anything close to 200 per night. Alot, get paid considerably lower than the servers. Yet, they are the ones really scrambling, and no server, can attest to that fact. FYI. I worked as a chef for many years, and I have never adapted the idea, of the "poor server". When some close server friends of mine, can average anywhere in the range of 300-500 per night. After tip out. So, I do believe the OP, could be right on the money.

Should people tip less, or stiff the servers absolutely not. But, I will never tip anything higher than 15%, unless it is outstanding service.

But people see statements like this and think darn I am not going to tip or tip very less because these servers are making darn good money. Disney is Disney its expensive to go to and to eat at, so you know ahead of time that tips are going to be more. I am pointing out that 99% of the servers in the real world does not make that kind of money. Does it cost my family a chunk of change to tip on Disney prices, yes around 25.00 per meal but I am going to do it. I have no problem with people tipping 15% like I have stated before, I don't think any server would complain on that. But you have people come on here and say " ohhh I am going to tip 1.00 per person no matter where I eat or how much my bill was". Those are the people who I am talking about...

Actually by arranging the search differently... you can actually get more accurate information.
I tried pointing that out early on in the thread. Some folks won't accept that an IT person's salary isn't representative of what restaurant workers make. :rotfl:

And by the way, any point that a chef should make more than a server or works harder than a server really isn't a point at all, its more of an opinion.

They both work hard, we joke at work to our cooks about getting dressed and coming out onto the floor and working. We tell them they would not last a table without running back into the kitchen. Where I will be honest,I would not want their job its hard work. But are good cooks make good money, our restaurant pays them very well..:thumbsup2

But people see statements like this and think darn I am not going to tip or tip very less because these servers are making darn good money.

I read just about all the tipping threads and I don't recall anyone ever using that reasoning. Yes, you have the occasional person who is used to going to a buffet where they do everything themselves and say "I tip $1 per person at buffets at home." Which, by the way, is another good reason for tipping threads - people who are used to that kind of buffet can find out that you get much more service at a WDW buffet and should probably tip more.

What I do recall is people implying that the tip should be based on a minimum of 20% of the bill because, as I said before "they work so hard and they make so little money." Again, trying to guilt others into tipping more than the standard which is generally regarded at 15% +.

I read just about all the tipping threads and I don't recall anyone ever using that reasoning. Yes, you have the occasional person who is used to going to a buffet where they do everything themselves and say "I tip $1 per person at buffets at home." Which, by the way, is another good reason for tipping threads - people who are used to that kind of buffet can find out that you get much more service at a WDW buffet and should probably tip more.

What I do recall is people implying that the tip should be based on a minimum of 20% of the bill because, as I said before "they work so hard and they make so little money." Again, trying to guilt others into tipping more than the standard which is generally regarded at 15% +.

I would say that the whole topic of this thread implies the reasoning that servers make more than enough money at WDW so why tip them what some may consider an outrageous amount (even at 15%)? It may be indirect, but the implied notion is still there. It was an incorrect assumption but as happens in media or anywhere else, the sound bite is much more powerful (and easier) than actually needing to support the claim you are making.

Sometimes, I do not understand parts of the whole tipping debate because there really should not be much of a debate. 15-18% is the standard that is commonly accepted by society for good service. Regardless of how much the server makes per year or anything else beyond the actual service received. If someone wants to tip above that, that is obviously optional. But that is the MINIMUM that society expects the tip to be. If someone does not want to abide by the rules of society, they should probably not participate in the activities which would put them in that position in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter