way way OT

But what I've been able to find shows the exact opposite - that there is no consistency at all about Jesus (which was actually a bit of a common name, so there was not just one man named Jesus at that time) and he doesn't appear in any writings until 2 centuries after he was supposedly alive. Even in the bible, the gospels conflict.

Personally I believe that a man named Jesus tried to preach love and peace during a very turbulent time. I believe that this man was later deified by well intentioned people that wanted to keep his ideas alive. I also believe that as time went on, people began twisting his words of love, tolerance, and peace to suit their own theology.

JMHO:hippie:

I have a question -

When a lot of politicians and/or 'moral majority' types make a big fuss about "being christian", are they relating to any one christian religion, or are they lumping them all together? Is there just one christian religion? I thought that there were many, but when it gets political, it seems there is only one...

I mean, think about the polygamous sect in the news now - aren't they christians?

Dude, major can of worms there.

A lot of Christians think their particular brand of christianity is the ONLY "real" one. Most of the rest of us think they're kooks. FWIW, if somebody identifies themselves as a christian and you hear the capital C in there, there's a good chance they're evangelical and are looking down their noses at anybody who's not them, as in, "we're Christian and since our brand is the only real Christianity out there I don't need to further identify myself" . If somebody identifies themselves as say, Presbyterian or Catholic or Lutheran without saying they're a christian, then it's not an evangelical branch of christianity.

If they're holding snakes, um, well, time to run!

Of course, this is my opinion of the state of Christianity, I feel semi-qualified to opine, as I'm one of the "frozen chosen" (presbyterian)...

I have a question -

When a lot of politicians and/or 'moral majority' types make a big fuss about "being christian", are they relating to any one christian religion, or are they lumping them all together? Is there just one christian religion? I thought that there were many, but when it gets political, it seems there is only one...

I mean, think about the polygamous sect in the news now - aren't they christians?

I thought I would add my $.02 worth, and that is all it is. There is a difference between being a Christian and having religion. Being a Christian means you profess to believe in Jesus and His teachings, and religion is the means by which you choose to define the details such as which church and denomination you choose and how you choose to worship, pray, baptise, live, etc. Just because you have a religion does not mean you are a Christian, and just because you are a Christian doesn't mean you have a religion. The worst part about religion is that it seperates and classifies. I think that at one time the word "Christian" was meant in order to unify people(Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc.) with eachother, but now it is the new "catch all" term for fanatics.

But what I've been able to find shows the exact opposite - that there is no consistency at all about Jesus (which was actually a bit of a common name, so there was not just one man named Jesus at that time) and he doesn't appear in any writings until 2 centuries after he was supposedly alive. Even in the bible, the gospels conflict.

Without my notes I can only suggest that you keep reading. :) We did long look at the matter under the guidance of an atheist professor at University, and the historic record was pretty convincing.

I believe every child has to learn the big bang theory and about evolution but it doesn't give the teacher the right to state that there is no God. Go talk to the principal.

I agree go talk to the principle

Not sure why anyone finds that poem offensive... It is just a view of how a born again christian feels today. We can't pray out loud in schools and the thing we DON'T believe as a christian is rammed down our throats "evolution" where is our rights? Fine if they must teach this then teach the flip side.. That would be fair wouldnt it? Why must we have to endure a teaching that goes against what WE believe? Ok now the second part of what I was reading I need to explain a little more in depth... Being a born again christian means you believe Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose after the 3rd day. The Bible is clear that all are sinners and the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. This is where faith comes into play. Do I have proof no but then again I don't have proof there is air I just know its there... An old paster explained about different denominations one time.. He said think of them as a bullseye. The center is the foundation of what it takes to be a christian (believing in Christ) then the outer rings are different denominations... Brethern wash feet, Pentecostal speak in tongues ect ect As long as you have the core value then you are a born again christian.. I honestly do not understand why that poem is offensive because its about someone NOT being able to pray... If we are honest with ourselves look back to when we had these values taught in schools, 30 years ago did we have mass shootings? Did we have all the sexual misconduct and things we have today? The answer is NO! So do I think we should still teach the Bible and pray in school the answer is YES!!!... I am not trying to flame anyone on this thread. I have my opinion as you have yours.... As I have gotten older I have realized that there is a diversty among christians but in the end the only thing that matters is if you know Jesus as savior that is what the Bible says and that is the ONLY thing that matters..

Lew

Yes, 30 years ago we had mass killings and unwed mothers, race riots, and 40 years ago we had the KKK, and assassinations. And if you want to go even further back we had the Salem Hysteria, the Spanish Inquisition, and the Crusades...

Momvic5 and Kickapoo, thanks for your input.

exactly-evolution is a theory, as is creationism-neither have been proven utilizing the scientific method.

Scientifically speaking, a theory is an explanation, that is coherent, can be tested using scientific means, and can be used to predict future events and describe observable phenomena (or facts).

Calling evolution a theory doesn't mean that it hasn't been proven -- there are millions of pieces of evidence that are consistent with this theory, it just means that it's an explanation of observable phenomena rather than an observable phenomena.

Gravity is also a theory. We can list as "fact" all the things we've ever seen fall, and all the things we've ever seen stick to the earth and not float away. The theory of gravity is what explains those facts and allow scientists to predict that tomorrow if you shoot a basket the ball will eventually come back to earth, and that if you let go of a bowling ball while holding it over your big toe you'll regret it.

Scientifically speaking creationism isn't a "theory" because it can't be tested, and it can't be used to predict future events. It's a religious belief. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but it does mean that it doesn't have a place in the science classroom.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm not at all surprised at the teacher's comments.

I would recommend the movie "Expelled" that is currently playing. I haven't had a chance to see it myself, but my father said it was pretty good.

Not sure why anyone finds that poem offensive... It is just a view of how a born again christian feels today...
I honestly do not understand why that poem is offensive because its about someone NOT being able to pray...

Lew

If you took the poem to be only about someone's inability to pray than you may have overlooked the other items that are offensive to some. (By the way, students are allowed to pray in public schools. They are even allowed to gather together to pray or to have bible study groups. It is just not allowed to be lead/taught by a teacher or other authority figure.)

I found the poem to be offensive because all of the items mentioned are judgments based on appearances. Some of the most moral people I have known "dressed like freaks" or had piercings. I don't see what that has to do with being christian or a decent human being.

Also, what schools are teaching kids to about witchcraft and vampires? I have never heard of such a thing. And as an American Indian I was offended with the "totem pole" reference being lumped in with witches and vampires. The vast majority of American Indians practice some form of christianity and many find that their tradional beliefs still apply within a christian framework.

On a personal level I was offended by the "elect a pregnant senior queen" line. This line implies (at least to me) that all christians should hold the fact that this young woman is pregnant above any other accomplishments she may have-- that who she is should be defined solely by the "Scarlet Letter" of her pregnant belly. I will tell you my story only because maybe someone will think twice before they judge someone by appearances. I was 16 years old from an extremely devout family, went to church several times a week, taught sunday school, etc etc etc when I was raped and became pregnant with my daughter. I was a junior in high school and at the top of my class. I have felt the judgment of many-- and still am plagued by the stigma of being a teen-parent (even though I'm now almost 30 and married). I was physically shunned by members of my church-- they would turn their backs to me when I entered a room or walked by them. Because I was visibly pregnant, I "must be promiscuous". My family was constantly judged for supporting their "immoral" daughter. There were a few people who cared and supported me, but many others thought I should be punished for the rest of my life for the assumptions they made based on my appearance. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to thoughtless comments like this, but I really don't see where promoting things that could be so offensive and hurtful really serves any purpose.

Back to the original teacher's comments, I would be careful. I'm a college teacher myself, and I know that sometimes students claim they have heard something which is not the entire thing I've said.

It's possible the OP's daughter did not hear the "It's my opinion" or similar qualifier, just like the adult student who complained about a comment I made did not remember or hear the prefacing statement I made to something he found offensive when we were discussing literature.

Teachers should not give personal opinion, I agree, but sometimes, students don't hear things exactly as they're said. I'm not saying the student here is lying either, just that she might have not heard everything perfectly.

Also, you can be Christian and believe in evolution. Those are two different issues entirely. The Catholic Church believes in evolution as do many Protestant denominations. Evangelicals are not the only Christians out there.

My DD13's science class last year learned about basic evolution, but her teacher sent out an email that stated that that was what they would be learning and if anyone had any questions to contact her. All she really taught was that there is a "theory" that apes and humans have developed from a common ancestor. Teaching evolution is their job, but most certainly not to say there is no god. Definately bring this up with him or the principal, drop either one an email and if that gets you a nasty response go higher. Relgious beliefs need to stay out of the public classroom, it doesn't matter what.

By the way, speaking to everyone in general I find it important to prepare your child for learning these things if you are devoutly religous. Just mention to them in sixth grade or so that in school they will learn different theories of creationism.

This thread reminds me of a joke our pastor told in church a few weeks ago. It goes something like this:

A teacher is using the "scientific method" to teach the class about evolution...

TEACHER: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
TOMMY: Yes.
TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
TEACHER: Did you see God?
TOMMY: No.
TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there. He doesn't exist.

A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions. The teacher agreed and the little girl questioned the boy.

LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the tree outside?
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
TOMMY: Yessssss (getting tired of the questions this time).
LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
TOMMY: Yessssss.
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
TOMMY: Yes
LITTLE GIRL: Do you see the teacher's mind?
TOMMY: No.
LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter