way way OT

kokomos

DIS Veteran
My dd is 8th grade and her science teacher has told her that man is evolved from ape and there is no God.
I dont want to get a religious debate started but im wondering if this is normal way science is tought in public school or just the teacher?
Thanks
Wanda

While I can't imagine any of my faculty saying there is no God - yikes the phonecalls would go on for days:scared1: , our science curriculum is evolution - they study Darwin and Mendel. I can't imagine it would be any different in a public school here - but I would totally write a pleasantly worded note enquiring about the no God comment. It could very well be something that wasn't said - miscommunication happens a lot b/t home and school - and if it WAS said, I would write a much stronger letter to the teacher AND the principal letting them know that that kind of statment is NOT appropriate - and maybe even encourage the teacher to apologise:confused3

The teacher is atheist . She told the kids she dont beleve in Gold and keep the Sunday school at home or church. Not just rumors she has mentioned it a couple of times.
This is the US and freedom to religion is part of it. Im sure she will come in contact with many people who dont believe. I guess I wasnt expecting it to come from the teacher.
She doesnt believe what the teacher has said but it also causes her to think her teacher is lying about other thing she is trying to teach.

Absolutely follow up on this. First with the teacher, then if necessary with the Principal.

She is allowed to be an athiest. She is not allowed to present her beliefs (or non-beliefs) as fact to a bunch of impressionable kids.

When I was in 8th grade, we learned in science how the universe was created by the Big Bang Theory. I questioned it to the teacher by stating I had learned that God had created the universe. He came to my desk in a whisper and stated, " I believe so too, but unfortunately I have to teach this theory." I believe every child has to learn the big bang theory and about evolution but it doesn't give the teacher the right to state that there is no God. Go talk to the principal.

That is horrible to tell children. She has no right to tell them her beliefs. And the kids have the right to discuss God if they want to.

Our school teaches evolution as a theory and keeps religion out of it, at least that is how it is supposed to be. Last year my daughter's teacher said that evolution was a lie and that dinosaurs and humans lived together. As a teacher myself I always try to keep my personal opinions out of things, as that is how we are taught to do as professionals, unfortunately some teachers are unable to do that.

I am sure you have already had a talk with your child about this. I would take this as a strong opportunity to talk about differing opinions and how to respond to varying beliefs/ideas.

I don't think I would make the leap that I can't trust her (or she is lying) about other things.....she is simply coming at things from a particular bent/ideology.

Also, I would contact the school and tell them in a polite/matter of fact way....not in an offended way.....

The teacher SHOULD respect students' ideology.

Dawn

The teacher is atheist . She told the kids she dont beleve in Gold and keep the Sunday school at home or church. Not just rumors she has mentioned it a couple of times.
This is the US and freedom to religion is part of it. Im sure she will come in contact with many people who dont believe. I guess I wasnt expecting it to come from the teacher.
She doesnt believe what the teacher has said but it also causes her to think her teacher is lying about other thing she is trying to teach.

This is interesting. I am a Catholic but depending on the way it was presented, I would see it as a great opportunity to have a discussion with my child, but I wouldn't take action with the school. Like I said though, UNLESS it was presented in a 'I can't believe you believe in God - what a crock!' - type way - THEN I WOULD. Assuming (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the teacher here, and assuming that he is a professional and good teacher, since I wasn't in the room) that the teacher presented the scientific theory and followed it up with something along the lines of 'I know that some of you were taught about another theory involving God, but leave those theories at home as we are learning the scientific theory here' - I wouldn't have a problem with it. Sending my child to a public school I expect them to be taught to leave their religious beliefs outside of the classroom (obviously, they always carry them inside and should act in the moral way they are taught) - and to learn the science of it instead.

So, initially this doesn't cause me any real alarm, but I would love to be a fly on the wall to see exactly how the teacher is stating this....

Evolution is a "theory." As stated in every text book and therefore should not be touted by any teacher as FACT. God should be left out of the equation since society has chosen to remove him from the school system. The teacher should have no opinion on him either way. It is not her place to indoctrinate these kids with her beliefs, it is ethically and morally wrong. I would absolutely bypass her all together and take it up with the principal immediately. There's no way I would allow someone who is basically a stranger to fill my kid's head with garbage and confuse them.

I had a teacher who was similar to that, but opposite. She taught us the evolution theory, and then told us to forget it because it was all completely false and that we needed to believe in God and Jesus or we were going to go to hell. I was 13; my mom is Jewish and dad is Catholic, I had yet to even start to think of what I believed in. I wish I had reported her. Teachers should not be forcing their beliefs on students, no matter which way the belief is going.
Also, if you're going to teach, teach it right. I'm a biology major now at a 4 year university and I'll be graduating in May. You can bet I've taken several different courses on Evolution and well, what she taught your daughter isn't actually the real evolution theory. Evolution Theory theorizes that Man and Apes evolved from a common ancestor. WE are not decended from Apes or Monkeys. Just thought I might point that out because that's where people who actually believe in the evolutionary theory get hit. If they claim they're descended from Monkeys then yes, that's false. But if they say there's a common ancestory, well, so far we haven't been able to prove that's false. The same way people haven't been able to prove God creating Adam and Eve is false.
Everyone has the right to believe what they want, and a public school should not have teachers forcing their beliefs on individuals.

ok... done now. lol

unfortunatley,most schools only teach evolution ( unless catholic school or other religious eduation)But the teacher was way off telling your child there is no god.Not their place to do that.Sorry.

Absolutely follow up on this. First with the teacher, then if necessary with the Principal.

She is allowed to be an athiest. She is not allowed to present her beliefs (or non-beliefs) as fact to a bunch of impressionable kids.

I'm in complete agreement with Aliceacc on this one. While the school systems are there to teach the "theories" of how the universe began and how man was created, teachers cannot and should not be imposing their own religious beliefs while teaching.

That being said, I would definitely approach the teacher one-on-one first to discuss her side of what happened and go from there. I would go to the principal if the situation could not be resolved with a one-on-one with the teacher.

Wow. Shame on that teacher.

First, I'd take the opportunity to use it as an opening to discuss respecting others beliefs and the variety of them out there. I would let your DD know that it is a theory, and with theory there comes belief. I would let your DD know that while the teacher may not believe in this theory, much of what she teaches is fact and not a lie.

Then, I would send a note to the teacher and/or principal letting them know that you think religion, regardless of what it is, should be respected. I, personally, don't have a problem with any and every religion in the classroom provided it is in an objective manner and not a push for one or the other. I would let the teacher know that you expect a theory to be taught as a viable theory regardless, including the possibility it could be wrong.

That said, I believe in God and in evolution. We do not know how God created the world and/or man. We do not know if God views days/time in the same way we do. Additionally, as a pp pointed out, evolution has been twisted in common thought into something it is not, which is why it really should be taught. Just my opinion.

To be more accurate, humans (we're not all "man") and apes evolved from a common ancestor :teacher:

To tell a student that there is no God is way out of line. I guess if the teacher said that she didn't believe in God, then that was okay.

I remember studying evolution etc, but we were told that we could believe whatever we wanted, and had to write our own essay on how we think the earth evolved. Whether religeous, or way out there with balls of fire erupting from the sun or space, whatever - all were accepted.

Evolution is a "theory." As stated in every text book and therefore should not be touted by any teacher as FACT. God should be left out of the equation since society has chosen to remove him from the school system. The teacher should have no opinion on him either way. It is not her place to indoctrinate these kids with her beliefs, it is ethically and morally wrong. I would absolutely bypass her all together and take it up with the principal immediately. There's no way I would allow someone who is basically a stranger to fill my kid's head with garbage and confuse them.

exactly-evolution is a theory, as is creationism-neither have been proven utilizing the scientific method.

i was curious with how my children, who attend a christian based private school would be educated on this topic so i purposely snagged dd's science book the year this was being covered extensivly. i was pleased that while the book is christian in character, the publishers and authors took the avenue of first reviewing the scientific method and then applying it to the concept. both evolution and creation (including intellegent design) were reviewed in detail, and then to each the scientific method were applied. the book dealt with educating the kids about each theory and then concluded with a discussion of why christians for the most part support creationism, but reminded the learner that for the pure basis of science-all 3 theories were important to be aware of.

i would'nt have a problem with a public school teaching purely evolution but i don't see the necessity of a teacher publicly stating their own religious beliefs or lack thereof. if a student brought up a question in class about creationism all the teacher would have to do is advise that the curriculum does not cover that and if they need to explore that independantly of their class.

Everyone's opinion counts. But they are just that opinions. What that particular teacher said was her opinion. It is important for our children to realize that there are othere beliefs than our own and that they will not always go with our own. If indeed she did state it as a fact she should be reportded. It is important to learn the theory of evolution as well as others. My father always taught us that this was the sign of a well rounded person. He also felt that in order to have a good understanding of others you also needed to understand their beliefs. He was a scientist, a microbiologist to be exact, Catholic and a very wise man. He believed in evolution and creationism. I realize that many think that you can't believe in both but in reality you can. We were taught that the Bible is a book written by people. The story of creation is a way to teach the story of how we were made. 7 days does not necesarily mean 7 exact days. That does not make the story any less valid nor the lessons learned. Maybe just a way to explain it as to be understood. As Jesus taught by using stories in his teachings. For those who say he is a myth that is a false statement. He was a real historical figure. Weather or not you believe he is the son of God and rose from the dead is your own decision. These are the things that were taught to me as a child and how I raise my own children. Now I know I am going to get flack from others for what I have said. To bad. I have stateded my opininons and they are not going to be the same as everyone elses but you are not going to change them after 47 years. It is also how I will teach my children along with teaching them to respect the views of others. However if someone wants to discuss this further these boards are probably not the right place.

I am suprised to see so many experiences with teachers who were against teaching the theory of evolution. When I was in high school, our science teacher spent one class period talking about the "lies" of evolution and how he was forced to teach this, even though it was a crock and creationism was the only way. Now, my parents were Christian, but they also knew the need for proper education as my mother was a teacher before she had kids. She was not very happy about it, but it gave us a great discussion at home on our beliefs and science and how the two relate to one another. If you are a science teacher, than it is your job to teach...SCIENCE! That would be like a history teacher skipping over World War II because it was "unpleasant" to talk about. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter