Vent.....Swagbucks wants me to join facebook. I will not be assimilated

Because when someone joins facebook (Mary, for example), Facebook says to Mary "Do you want us to help you find your friends who are already on facebook?" If you choose YES to that option, Facebook scans Mary's contact lists in her email account, and searches Facebook for people in her contact list who are already on Facebook, and tells her "Your friend Susie is a Facebook member, click here to friend request her" If the people in her contacts list are NOT a Facebook member, she can have Facebook send them an email suggesting that they join facebook (which is likely why YOU got that email). The people who you saw the picturs of, are probably facebook friends with "Mary" already.

That is what creeps me out about facebook.

I think the whole facebook thing is out of control. If you post a comment on your friends comment, the next thing u know you get an email from facebook from everyone else who also commented. You get offers to locate people who are friends with your friends. I mean chances are if I hated back in high school; I'm pretty sure I coudl care less about you now!! Oh now it just seems like one be advertisement trying to get u to buy or sign up for something.

Again this goes back to adjusting your settings. I get no FB emails and no random junk suggested to me. I also use Ad Block Plus on firefox to block all ads so I didn't even realize FB had ads running down the side of pages until I logged into it at school.

Agree as well. I spend enough time on the DIS to add anything else.

I can understand the frustration. It is getting to where everyone and everything thinks you should have to be on FB. I have friends and relatives on it that tell me "I wish you were on FB so we could talk" Really like I have no phone or email :confused3

Most of the things people are complaining about in this thread can easily be fixed by changing your security settings.

You are the one that controls how much information you share.

Sigh....I just don't see the big deal...and I know this thread has gone in another direction from the OP, so before I comment on Facebook, let me say - It's a marketing tool like so many other marketing tools. If you are not going to let them push their product/service in your face - and by extension all of your "friends'" faces - in whatever fashion they find has the best cost/benefit - that's okay. But don't be mad when they don't share their premium with you either. Facebook is big, like it or not, and for marketing it's ideal. I don't ever participate in any of the marketing stuff, ("'Like' us on Facebook.") No thanks - I don't need that free sample enough to have you into my and my friends' business, and selling my link to someone else, etc.

Facebook in general:....sure, you can try to keep yourself "pure" and "safe" by not joining....but like an earlier PP said, if someone wants to find you, they will. AND - it won't take an awful lot of effort or a pile of cash to do it. I've had a few people find me, but I don't WANT any more "friends" so I just don't respond, and I don't feel "rude." I don't accept, and I don't refuse. Heck - I haven't been in touch with those people in well over twenty-five years. I don't think their self esteem is so fragile.

On the other hand, I have a few close relatives that REFUSE to join. They have their reasons. (I think they are nutty reasons, but who cares?) I post stuff on Facebook. They KNOW I post stuff on Facebook. If they are interested, they can join, or they can log onto their kid's account to see stuff. I am NOT going to make a special effort to send separate stuff to them. If they don't want to see pictures of me and my grandchildren, it's their business.

Be there, or be square....that's my sentiment. :surfweb: BUT - don't tell me you are keeping yourself "safe." If you do ANYTHING online - you are out there. It's just a question of "how much" you are out there.

Maddle

Because when someone joins facebook (Mary, for example), Facebook says to Mary "Do you want us to help you find your friends who are already on facebook?" If you choose YES to that option, Facebook scans Mary's contact lists in her email account, and searches Facebook for people in her contact list who are already on Facebook, and tells her "Your friend Susie is a Facebook member, click here to friend request her" If the people in her contacts list are NOT a Facebook member, she can have Facebook send them an email suggesting that they join facebook (which is likely why YOU got that email). The people who you saw the picturs of, are probably facebook friends with "Mary" already.

Thanks for your explanation! That makes sense and it is what I thought at first but I know "Mary" doesn't know any of the people listed. As far as I know, no one I know has even talked to one of those people in at least 10 years. Oh well, I guess it will remain a mystery.

Sorry for highjacking the original post I just thought someone might be able to finally answer that question.

Thanks for your explanation! That makes sense and it is what I thought at first but I know "Mary" doesn't know any of the people listed. As far as I know, no one I know has even talked to one of those people in at least 10 years. Oh well, I guess it will remain a mystery.

Sorry for highjacking the original post I just thought someone might be able to finally answer that question.
There is likely some connection between "Mary" and that person no one has spoken to in 10 years. FB works like "6 Degrees of Separation" - if your friend's friend's friend has that person listed as a friend (or even just has that person in their e-mail contacts), FB may suggest her to you. The "People You May Know" or "Friend Suggestions" or whatever they're called now kind of weird me out sometimes, but that's the whole concept of FB - connecting people.

P.S. - If you think Facebook is creepy, try Twitter. Twitter makes me feel like a stalker, but it's so addictive!

On the other hand, I have a few close relatives that REFUSE to join. They have their reasons. (I think they are nutty reasons, but who cares?) I post stuff on Facebook. They KNOW I post stuff on Facebook. If they are interested, they can join, or they can log onto their kid's account to see stuff. I am NOT going to make a special effort to send separate stuff to them. If they don't want to see pictures of me and my grandchildren, it's their business.

Maddle

Wow. They can't be very close relatives if you would not make a special effort to send them anything just because they are not on Facebook.
This is one of the reasons I don't care to have an account. If my relatives would rather share their pictures with all of their "friends" instead of make any special effort to include those of us that choose to not have Facebook so be it but they can't be offended if I don't make any special efforts back.

ITA...even though I don't have that issue. If you don't want to go on facebook, suit yourself, but don't expect everyone to make special accommodations for you.
Luckily everyone I want to be in contact with is pretty much on there, from cousins in Germany and Greece, to elderly relatives, to friends all over the world. This past week I was "reunited" with my 2nd cousins once removed from Argentina!

I am OK with the privacy levels I have set in order to find and keep connections like these

Wow. They can't be very close relatives if you would not make a special effort to send them anything just because they are not on Facebook.
This is one of the reasons I don't care to have an account. If my relatives would rather share their pictures with all of their "friends" instead of make any special effort to include those of us that choose to not have Facebook so be it but they can't be offended if I don't make any special efforts back.

They are close enough. (And honestly, if it's something really really special, I will forward it....but usually it's a cut and paste off of my DDIL's FB account - which they could see if they would join - and it's VERY rare that I do that.) But my "friends" are mostly relatives. The ones who aren't on are being stubborn or paranoid. (Yes, they are. I'm talking about my relatives here, not you guys. I'm sure you have your reasons, but they're not relevent to my situation.) We talk on the phone regularly, (and occasionally send clippings and pics to each other,) but I think they are missing out on a whole new dimension of our extended family life. It's just me and my siblings and our kids, some cousins and a couple old friends sharing the occasional comment on life and a few pics. It's very chummy and I live so far away from alll of them that it is a real connection for me.

I'm with Hipchickie - suit yourself, but don't expect special accomodations.

Maddle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter