Vent.....Swagbucks wants me to join facebook. I will not be assimilated

karice2

DIS Veteran
I am a very casual user of swagbucks but find it really useful for Amazon gift cards. I have a kindle and like to use the Amazon gift cards to purchase books for my Kindle. I am really trying to ramp up my gift cards because I have a trip scheduled to Disney and like to load up before I head down. Flying this time but still like to have books while doing the hurry up and wait.

Well, I am one of the last holdouts and don't have a facebook account. I know some people swear by it as a communication tool and a way to reach out to old friends. My motto is "If I lost contact with you, I did it on purpose.". Not only that I am kind of private unless I want to reach out,like to my Disboard friends. There are other reasons that I won't go into but I am just not a facebook user.

Lately all the deals that are fairly simple ways to earn swagbucks require some sort of like on facebook or linking through facebook, which I don't have. I don't want to spend my precious time doing some stuff to earn points only to be stopped because of my not having a facebook account.

I don't ever plan on getting an account, don't want a dummy account, don't want to join under false pretenses. I just don't want to play with facebook but swagbucks just won't stop throwing it in my face. It really stings when I am only 28 points away from my next Amazon gift card.

Ok. Vent over.

As the second last facebook holdout I will just say.. I hear you:rotfl::rotfl:

The only thing that makes me want a facebook account less than I already do is the people who will eventually say "I don't see why you're making a big deal of this."
I'm not. I just don't want one. :rolleyes:

My motto is "If I lost contact with you, I did it on purpose."

Pretty much:rotfl:

I am a very casual user of swagbucks but find it really useful for Amazon gift cards. I have a kindle and like to use the Amazon gift cards to purchase books for my Kindle. I am really trying to ramp up my gift cards because I have a trip scheduled to Disney and like to load up before I head down. Flying this time but still like to have books while doing the hurry up and wait.

Well, I am one of the last holdouts and don't have a facebook account. I know some people swear by it as a communication tool and a way to reach out to old friends. My motto is "If I lost contact with you, I did it on purpose.". Not only that I am kind of private unless I want to reach out,like to my Disboard friends. There are other reasons that I won't go into but I am just not a facebook user.

Lately all the deals that are fairly simple ways to earn swagbucks require some sort of like on facebook or linking through facebook, which I don't have. I don't want to spend my precious time doing some stuff to earn points only to be stopped because of my not having a facebook account.

I don't ever plan on getting an account, don't want a dummy account, don't want to join under false pretenses. I just don't want to play with facebook but swagbucks just won't stop throwing it in my face. It really stings when I am only 28 points away from my next Amazon gift card.

Ok. Vent over.

You can join facebook and set up an account, and make it completely private so that nobody can search for you (you will be invisible, even if someone searches for you by your email address). There's no false pretenses there and it's not a dummy account.

I don't want to do anything on facebook. Not make it private,not block people, not anything, . I am just annoyed that so many things are requiring some sort of facebook interface to be active in it.

I know it makes me sound old and I really am not but I just don't want to add another thing to my digital life. Not only that, it is a security nightmare and for the work that I do, it is just not worth it.

There are a lot of people in my world who do not have facebook so I know I am not the only one but anything that has that many people touting how great it is can't be good for society as a whole.

The good is that people can reach out and find information about you. The bad is that people can reach out and find information about you. All my friends know don't put pictures of me on facebook and don't reference any event and me in facebook.

eh, if you don't want to do it, then don't. They are using it for their purposes. I find it puzzling that people are so uppity about not participating in something.

Darn those people in your life that want to communicate or be involved with you. Whatever.

lol, so you post your picture on a very nonprivate message board? That is a hoot!

I love facebook but only for keeping in contact. I can tell you that I will not "like" something just to get something for free or discount. When you do you are sharing your information and all the information of your friends and I don't share my information to people I don't know on there. Plus, I don't want to share my friend's information unless they give me permission (and getting permission from 290 friends wouldn't be easy). So I'm right there with you in not wanting to like something just for a discount but I do love my facebook.

Seems simple...if you don't want to use facebook then don't...but then don't be upset when people who do choose to use it get more opportunities then you.

Facebook is a great way for these companies to network, if that doesn't work for you, move on. It seems silly to get mad at them for using the best marketing tools out there.

eh, if you don't want to do it, then don't. They are using it for their purposes. I find it puzzling that people are so uppity about not participating in something.

Darn those people in your life that want to communicate or be involved with you. Whatever.

lol, so you post your picture on a very nonprivate message board? That is a hoot!

I'm one of the non Facebook 'uppity' ones. I am pretty offended by your remarks. I don't post pics of myself or anyone I know. Waaay too many people have sacrificed their privacy to Facebook-people like you who mock those of us who prefer NOT to get on board with something that allows anyone to track you down and know everything you want known and things others want known about you. Block away, hackers can get into anything.
My brother actually had his girlfriend's stalker from 20years ago show up on HIS front porch looking for her last year. The crazy guy-stalker-said he found him on Facebook through links from people who had friended my brother because they knew his girlfriend...the man had a gun and luckily no one was hurt when the police approached with their weapons drawn...no Facebook for me, thanks. Have at it and I hope you're happy. :cloud9:

lol, enjoy the attitude I guess. Some people get off on looking down on others. Lol, I know people who won't use the internet at all. So there!

As far as the picture comment, that was directed to the op, lol. Not every person who has ever posted on the internet.

I'm one of the non Facebook 'uppity' ones. I am pretty offended by your remarks. I don't post pics of myself or anyone I know. Waaay too many people have sacrificed their privacy to Facebook-people like you who mock those of us who prefer NOT to get on board with something that allows anyone to track you down and know everything you want known and things others want known about you. Block away, hackers can get into anything.
My brother actually had his girlfriend's stalker from 20years ago show up on HIS front porch looking for her last year. The crazy guy-stalker-said he found him on Facebook through links from people who had friended my brother because they knew his girlfriend...the man had a gun and luckily no one was hurt when the police approached with their weapons drawn...no Facebook for me, thanks. Have at it and I hope you're happy. :cloud9:

Wait...so you judge your opinion on facebook based on your brothers stupidity? I mean no one has to put personal info on facebook. you don;t even have to use your real name. If your brother knew there was some guy out there looking to kill his girlfriend, he should have been more careful. This was certainly not a facebook problem.

aside from the fact it is incredibly easy to find someone anymore using the net. Add a little cash to the plan and you have an address in no time at all.

I love Swagbucks ($150 in my Amazon account so far since Jan. :cool1: ) but I did set up a fake "swagbucks" facebook account because I did not want to lose out on the SB offers, but I did not want that accessing my personal account. I also have 3 email addresses (one personal, one business, and one for spam when companies want your e-mail addy).

I get that you would not want to get on FB (my DH is not on either) but I think there are a lot of things that are available on FB. We have a new Chick-fil-a opening near us and I won free meals for being the 2000th fan to like them on facebook, plus I won a toy of the year prize from Family Fun. So to me it is not a bad thing ;), but each person should do what is right for them.;)

You can join facebook and set up an account, and make it completely private so that nobody can search for you (you will be invisible, even if someone searches for you by your email address). There's no false pretenses there and it's not a dummy account.

No, unfortunately, you cannot.

Seems simple...if you don't want to use facebook then don't...but then don't be upset when people who do choose to use it get more opportunities then you.

Facebook is a great way for these companies to network, if that doesn't work for you, move on. It seems silly to get mad at them for using the best marketing tools out there.

Kind of have to agree with this poster. I'm not looking down on you for your choice. I've had several friends and family unplug from Facebook. But, you can't be mad at a company that chooses to use FB to promote itself and give their members the chance to earn more swagbucks by being on FB.

I have "liked" companies and products to be able to get things that others can't. I love free stuff.

Ok. Vent over.

You do know that get points for games, and videos right. If just go to the trusted surveys you will get a point. The polls sections gets points. NOSO is just bunch skips and automatically get two points. Swagtv you get up to 75 points just watching tv.

I don't bother with special offers anymore. I average up to a 5 dollar amazon card a week or more. That depends on how time that I have.

I love swagbucks. It so easy to do.

I only have facebook account get free stuff. I don't even bother checking half the time.

Regal cinamas give facebook coupons for concession stand. I love those freebies. Pair with movie gift card makes going to the movies free. LOL

OP here. I want to clarify one thing. Having a pic up is not the same as posting my entire personal life on a website that collects valuable information about me and is available to people that can and would do harm to individuals.

My perspective about not wanting to join Facebook comes from an entirely different place than the average person and I was not being uppity about it. I readily admit that on a very good day, I can out uppity the best of them. My nose can point due north when I want it to. I wouldn't expect anyone here to know that because my every waking thought is not available for the world to see along with my drunken night at the nightclub.

Being annoyed about a site wanting me to be a member of another site to reap the full benefits is just that, an annoyance. It was a vent because I am pretty casual about using swagbucks and just kind of noticed that all of those things were interrelated. I just wanted to Amazon cards to load books on my Kindle.

I make no judgement about anyone who chooses to us Facebook as a method for communicating with people. It is not for me and I said as much. I don't want people looking me up from my past. I don't want to check a website to find out what is going on with my friends and I don't want to randomly cruise sites looking for people that I used to know.

It isn't for me. Free gift cards are.

My motto is "If I lost contact with you, I did it on purpose."

:lmao: Yes! I had a FB account that I eventually deleted for this reason. People were getting on my nerves and, then, I realized "Hey, I didn't like you much in HS, either!" Duh! That was when I realized FB was not for me.

ETA: I don't look down on people who use FB. I have friends who are addicted to it, friends who use it and love it. I have family who has it but never uses it. It just didn't work for me and my personality. I tried never going on but then people would say "Did you see _______ on FB?" and I'd say I'm never on and they'd say "BUT, but, you HAVE FB?! You're my friend on there!!"...... it's a whole lot easier to say "No, I didn't, I deactivated my account." It also cut out people flat out asking me (in person) to either be their friend (Are you on FB? Can I send you a friend request?) or if I'd gotten their friend request (I sent you a request last night but this morning you still hadn't accepted me...have I done something?) It started out that I just had myself, my uncle and aunt, a few good friends. But then people found me, I felt rude ignoring them..... But, if it works for you, I say go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter