VDH Opening

I wonder how long it will take before VDH appears on the resale market once they start active sales? I know people don't buy in thinking they will sale at a later date, but with resale restrictions (no surprise there), high dues and ToT, that's got to impact what one can expect to sell it for on the resale market. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would steer clear of it for that reason alone.

We saw the first one for RIV less than a year after sales..and it was very possible it was even before it opened.

I haven't had a chance to read through all of the new posts; has anyone's guide confirmed that parking will be a nightly charge and not included in annual dues?

Heard back from my guide... I suppose that the line for now is as follows... "These have always been there and at GC it is baked in the annual dues, here is only will apply if and when you stay here..."

Doesn't explain the cost per point vs at Grand Cal though.
It’s an interesting line to push, especially since VGC dues are lower haha

It’s an interesting line to push, especially since VGC dues are lower haha
I agree... If dues were say, $7.50, even $8.00, it would still suck but not feel like I'm paying for points AND dues AND using those expensive points AND paying cash to stay there... And I understand taxes and resort fees, etc.,, but I still have to buy park tickets at DL...

VGC has 48 units, you can't compare California to Florida. So what are the other options. I bought VGC at $135 a point, that was a better deal. But guess what, that deal is no longer available. My math says about 60-70% saving in room price after the fees and taxes. That makes Disney Resort Hotels go from unaffordable to priced the same as Harbor Blvd hotels. Do you have any idea how many people are within driving distance to Disneyland with money. It will sell, do not worry. We go to WDW and Disneyland, WDW has fans, Disneyland has fanatics

VGC has 48 units, you can't compare California to Florida. So what are the other options. I bought VGC at $135 a point, that was a better deal. But guess what, that deal is no longer available. My math says about 60-70% saving in room price after the fees and taxes. That makes Disney Resort Hotels go from unaffordable to priced the same as Harbor Blvd hotels. Do you have any idea how many people are within driving distance to Disneyland with money. It will sell, do not worry. We go to WDW and Disneyland, WDW has fans, Disneyland has fanatics
My math gets about 20-30% savings off regular DH rates. Where are getting 70%?

I agree on your math of a potential 20%-30% savings. And for this savings, you need to put up at least $23k upfront and book 11 months in advance to be sure of a room.

You also have far less flexibility with cancelling and changing dates if something comes up as life happens. To me I don't see the value in this compared to paying cash for a room, or buying Grand Californian on the resale market.

Plus, if you need to sell at some point during the life of the contract, then you'll likely get far less due to the resale restrictions.

I say all this a an owner of GCV and a huge fan of Disneyland, disappointing this didn't turn out better.

I have seen something about VDH resale. If you are purchasing VDH resale, the only place you can use this contract will be VDH and that will mean every time someone stays there will be a tax involved. Sure if you are going to rent out your points, the renter will be paying the taxes, but for the most part you are the one fitting the bill, I would think at that point they should have realized the taxes would have been better attached to the annual dues.
On a side note, I know that building supplies have increased over the past few years, but having this resort start at $9.08 for bare minimum amenities seems to me that building costs were way out of budget and to make their budgets work in the future required such a high number. There are no transportation costs that I assume would be covered by the annual dues and limited spaces to maintain.
Comparison to my current resorts:
The 2023 budget for Saratoga Springs is $75.5 million and Animal Kingdom is at $45.5 million. I feel that the size of these resorts and the amenities are appropriate for their budgets. I mean, it is expensive to take care of animals in the case of AKV.
If there are the estimated 3.3 million points, it would be around $30 million to maintain this single tower, with minimal community space and an addition of one small pool each year. I don't have access to BLT budget so I don't know if this is similar but even BLT has some transportation cost. I assume instead of a high transportation cost, it is the high labor cost. Could others see how they could come up with such high maintenance dues?

I looked at rooms what were in the $650 to $750 range after taxes and fees and would be in the $200 to $250 range on disney maintenance and city taxes. People are complaining about a $40 city tax, when the tax on a retail room is more like $100. I do not include the cost of the points, because be honest, who has lost money on points, I am double what I paid

I looked at rooms what were in the $650 to $750 range after taxes and fees and would be in the $200 to $250 range on disney maintenance and city taxes. People are complaining about a $40 city tax, when the tax on a retail room is more like $100. I do not include the cost of the points, because be honest, who has lost money on points, I am double what I paid
That's some fuzzy math there. Yes, cost of points matter. Can't ignore a $20-30,000 payment into the equation

The 2023 budget for Saratoga Springs is $75.5 million and Animal Kingdom is at $45.5 million. I feel that the size of these resorts and the amenities are appropriate for their budgets. I mean, it is expensive to take care of animals in the case of AKV.
If there are the estimated 3.3 million points, it would be around $30 million to maintain this single tower, with minimal community space and an addition of one small pool each year. I don't have access to BLT budget so I don't know if this is similar but even BLT has some transportation cost. I assume instead of a high transportation cost, it is the high labor cost. Could others see how they could come up with such high maintenance dues?

I also would be really interested in seeing their budget. Are they paying a bunch of money to DL for maintenance of shared amenities? Maybe their refresh cycle is shorter given how long in tooth the resorts get close to refresh cycle. VGC hard refurb is late, maybe due to insufficient reserves and they want to avoid similar issues with VDH? I assumed they can't have budget overruns burden the timeshare owners, but maybe they did some trickery there?

VGC has 48 units, you can't compare California to Florida. So what are the other options. I bought VGC at $135 a point, that was a better deal. But guess what, that deal is no longer available. My math says about 60-70% saving in room price after the fees and taxes. That makes Disney Resort Hotels go from unaffordable to priced the same as Harbor Blvd hotels.
We stay behind Harbor in a 2 bedroom (residence inn type) for about $300/night. (10min walk, door to gate)

Do you have any idea how many people are within driving distance to Disneyland with money. It will sell, do not worry. We go to WDW and Disneyland, WDW has fans, Disneyland has fanatics
Interesting... I've never been to WDW, but I assumed with all the vlogger/youtuber types WDW was the bigger (and more hardcore) fanbase?
I guess "Original" has a lot of weight.

I have seen something about VDH resale. If you are purchasing VDH resale, the only place you can use this contract will be VDH and that will mean every time someone stays there will be a tax involved. Sure if you are going to rent out your points, the renter will be paying the taxes, but for the most part you are the one fitting the bill, I would think at that point they should have realized the taxes would have been better attached to the annual dues.
On a side note, I know that building supplies have increased over the past few years, but having this resort start at $9.08 for bare minimum amenities seems to me that building costs were way out of budget and to make their budgets work in the future required such a high number. There are no transportation costs that I assume would be covered by the annual dues and limited spaces to maintain.
Comparison to my current resorts:

And don't forget that parking is not included in these high annual dues.

I also would worry about how crowded the pools will get between the hotel guests and now a new DVC tower, but that's for another day...

That's some fuzzy math there. Yes, cost of points matter. Can't ignore a $20-30,000 payment into the equation
Like I said, who loses money on points. Clearly it is not for everyone, but we have a huge Disney fan base in the Southwest. I would be buying as a grandparent, I assume many in the same boat. We have enjoyed our VGC so much, been worth every penny. We never stayed at DLR properties before, the cost just made no sense.

Even though we prefer DL to WDW, we have made the decision that DVC at DL just does not make sense. The value simply isn't there that exists at WDW.

With retirement coming soon and less work travel, I don't know how much longer I will keep my Diamond status with Hilton, but we will just continue to stay at Homewood or Home2 Suites where we get a kitchen like we would in a 2-bedroom villa and will be able to have 2-3 rooms for far less money.

Surprisingly both my wife and I think this may lead to more frequent WDW visits and just as frequent but probably shorter DL stays.

Latest posts

facebook twitter