VDH Opening

You hit the nail on the head for us!

1. Native Californian, 44 years old, never been to WDW, but DL many, many times. probably 2 dozen times in the last 10 years. Might do WDW at some point in the next 10 years so the kids can experience it.

2. Pre-Kids it was DL once every 1-2 years for 3-4 days, now with young kids its 3-4 times a year for 3-5 days each visit.

3. Yup, tax applies everywhere in Anaheim, even if staying offsite, still going to pay it. I like the idea of paying it on checkout, rather than rolled in MF fees.

4. We ran the numbers, for 1 Bedroom villa, it is a savings for when we go and the number of days we go. Studios and Duo studios aren't going to cut it for us with the kids. 10-15 years from now when we're empty nesters we'll look at those studio options.

5. Staying in the bubble is a more desirable experience, especially with the kids. We've stayed outside the bubble in Anaheim, and done the Airbnb thing, its just not the same. Since we started staying in the bubble, we fly in and Uber over to the hotel. Parking fee a non issue.

6. We're looking at 250+ points depending on incentives, broken down into 75ish point increments to possibly resale a contract 15-20 years down the line. Might also later add resale points whenever they come on the market depending on what they are going for.

7.VGC is nice. Having stayed at VGC and DLH, DLH wins on the nostalgia factor. VGC wins on access to DCA, and food options. And while the rooms are nice, they just don't have that same nostalgia factor (to us) that the DLH does. The walk isn't a big deal. 10 mins from the hotel to the front gate, and I'm a slow walker. Or take the Monorail. Another option is to exit out the Frontier tower, walk down Paradise Way, cross DL drive, and enter VGC through the side gate. Finish up the night at DCA?, and exit out the Paradise Pier gate for a shorter walk back to DLH.

We'll definitely be buying at VDH. Also own at Aulani. No desire for anything back east. We'll likely skip Aulani one year and use those points for a trip back east at some point so the kids can experience WDW.
This Is The Way!

Q
That's kind of what happened at the Grand Californian, isn't it? I think the main area was built years before the DVC wing. Unless I'm not remembering it right.

Will DVC people be the only ones allowed at the new pool? Is that how it is at the WDW resorts that have DVC wings? I've never stayed at a deluxe WDW resort.
Interesting to see what happens here. And with the new pool at the Poly2.

Is it though? The gate was wide open in December.. And yes this was prior to the Contemporary Pool refurb. I think pools for XXXX are a myth. They seem to be open for all to use.
Last time I was at BLT, i needed my MB to get in…and always have. But, regardless, the pool at BLT is restricted to those staying at BLT. And BLT owners pay the full cost as it is common element declared.

Same at RIV…you need to scan to get in…unlike the pools at places like Poly and VGF, which are actually part of hotel, and DVC owners have the right to use. Owners there only pay a share of the off those pools as they are not part of the condo association.

So, it will be in the POS as to how the pool at VDH will be treated.

That's kind of what happened at the Grand Californian, isn't it? I think the main area was built years before the DVC wing. Unless I'm not remembering it right.

Will DVC people be the only ones allowed at the new pool? Is that how it is at the WDW resorts that have DVC wings? I've never stayed at a deluxe WDW resort.

Each of the DVC resorts and the pools at those locations are different. Some are declared as common elements, like I mentioned about with RIV and BLT….those are restricted to only guests staying there.

But some places, the pools are actually not part of DVC, like I said VGF and Poly are…that means that all guests, cash and DVC have access.

IIRC, the pools at WL are divided with one being a resort and one being part of DVC, with reciprocal agreements for all guests to use.

It doesn't sound like VDH is great location like VGC. I do like the look of the hotel and I'm sure it's going to be really nice.
All the talk about taxes, parking, high dues has me thinking "no thanks". I do think it will sell pretty easily though unless our economy really stalls. I think I'll be sitting this one out for now. Never been to DL so I don't know how far it is from the parks. Pretty spoiled at WDW "staying in the bubble".
VDH is still closer to the gate than anything in WDW.

*edit*
Apparently this is not correct. :)

Last edited:
VDH is still closer to the gate than anything in WDW.
Beach Club to Epcot is closer than VDH to DL/DCA. And one could certainly make an argument that monorail transportation from resorts like Grand Floridian and Polynesian is more efficient than DLH transport. Plus Skyliner from Riviera to EP/HS.

Disneyland is obviously far more compact. No place at WDW puts 2 parks, 3 hotels and a shopping district in such a small space. But that also means there are dozens of non-Disney lodging options just as close.

Comparing the two is dicey because, going in, you either want the compact nature of DL or the vastness of WDW. A Disneyland visit--even from Disneyland Hotel--may require less travel time than WDW. But it also offers fewer theme parks, fewer resorts, fewer restaurants, smaller shopping district, no golf courses / mini golf / watersports / water parks, etc.

Yeah, we decided we’re out. But DVC is still going to get my money 😂 I’m just buying more VGF points instead. Just got back from our first DVC trip at VGF and it was AMAZING. With APs back, we decided it makes more sense to mostly go to WDW with a DLR trip every 3 or 4 years. We used to be west coasters and now living in Texas, with the convenience of getting to WDW, it just makes the most sense for us. Plus our hearts are really with Grand Cal, so I think we’d have FOMO staying at VDH. We’ll just pay cash for Grand Cal every few years. Having said that, I’m sure VDH will be beautiful and those who buy it will be happy. I’m sure we’ll try to get in at the 7 month window on occasion.

That's one of the reasons we went with VGC instead of waiting for VDH. I imagined making a visit to Disneyland and having to walk past the Grand Californian to get to VDH and decided I would always end up looking longingly at VGC so that pretty much did it for me.

Ok, so it's an awesome location. Never been there but it sounded like other non Disney hotels were better located.

There are hotels on Harbor that are a shorter walk than the Disneyland hotel.

Not closer. The same, to the Esplanade, at least. Both are .5 mile.
Oh, i thought i had recently asked about that and was told contemporary was like .01 further and that was the closest, no one ever mentioned BCV to Epcot. My bad.

Ok, so it's an awesome location. Never been there but it sounded like other non Disney hotels were better located.
Ive never been to WDW, was just going by others reports… and there definitely are non Disney hotels closer than DLH.

Last edited:
But DL has, reportedly, the same number of attractions as all four WDW parks combined. Or something really close to that. I'm sure someone will correct me.
It's pretty close. I've been to DL many times.

But it doesn't have 4 different parks with 4 unique themes. DL doesn't have Epcot with the World Showcase, Living Seas, etc. It doesn't have Animal Kingdom with the safari & Pandora.

I'm not trying to open a massive wide-ranging debate as to the merits of DL vs WDW. But also I don't think saying "DLH is closer to the parks than any resort at WDW" does a very good job of conveying the differences between the two theme park complexes.

I'm now considering jumping off the VDH wagon and joining the Poly 2 caravan. Might still buy 50 VDH points since I'm a local but no rush to do that since no incentives at that amount. I've been looking forward to VDH since 2021 when I started researching about DVC and VDH was the whole reason I bought my first 25 pt resale just to get in the door and be able to buy VDH as an owner. So it's taking me longer to accept that the pricing and fees are pretty awful, especially the prospect of those taxes rising steeply over the life of the contract. It's so depressing. I'm going through the denial, anger, and depression stages of grief all at once today.

I'm now considering jumping off the VDH wagon and joining the Poly 2 caravan. Might still buy 50 VDH points since I'm a local but no rush to do that since no incentives at that amount. I've been looking forward to VDH since 2021 when I started researching about DVC and VDH was the whole reason I bought my first 25 pt resale just to get in the door and be able to buy VDH as an owner. So it's taking me longer to accept that the pricing and fees are pretty awful, especially the prospect of those taxes rising steeply over the life of the contract. It's so depressing. I'm going through the denial, anger, and depression stages of grief all at once today.
Same here, bought 50 last month with plans to add on at VDH.
The bonus is you still may have an option to use your 25 at VGC (rare, but possible) and then have the 50 VDH so you could combine them (possibly) for a great stay in CA.

Same here, bought 50 last month with plans to add on at VDH.
The bonus is you still may have an option to use your 25 at VGC (rare, but possible) and then have the 50 VDH so you could combine them (possibly) for a great stay in CA.
oh i bought a lot more resale points after that first 25, addonitis got me bad! including a 100 pt resale contract at VGC after we decided last summer that VGC was the superior resort to VDH. so i'm set. i just have FOMO with VDH

facebook twitter