Vaccine - change of mind

Masks were actually quite common over the years as a prophylactic against various infectious diseases thought to transmit through respiratory droplets. They were used often during the 1918 H1N1 pandemic. This photo is of a NYC street sweeper in October 1918.

ny-street-sweeper-pandemic-flu.jpg
I think we need a rewind from 2020. Just go search for news stories out there, search for the KCI plane issue, search the threads here on the DIS from March and April and May 2020. The flu pandemic of 1918 was over 100 years ago and isn't representative of this time and people's reactions to being told to wear a mask. I'm out of this conversation because it just feels cyclical on not a big point, no offense meant here though.

Unfortunately, I lost a lot of faith in the medical community last summer. The first ER I went to sent me home with a prescription for some antacids! My Dr called me early the next morning and told me to get to the ER immediately as my platelets at the first ER were at 50,000. Dr couldn't believe they sent me home.

By the time I got to the ER, different hospital, my platelets were at 40,000. I also had an irregular heart rhythm, inflamed liver, and duodenum. They somehow missed a bacterial UTI. When I got sent home I felt a little better but then within a 2 week period I was sicker than I had ever been. 103 degree temperature and was being sent to the ER 2 or 3 times a week. They would give me some fluids, the same medication, and I told them I had been on it already, but home they sent me. By the time they realized I wasn't getting the correct medication, I was on the verge of sepsis.

I think Covid world was just way overwhelming for so many in the medical community, but I am now more hesitant to trust what anyone is telling me. So still in a wait and see mode right now.
that is so awful. I totally get your distrust - I did get the vaccine, but based upon some truly bad experiences my parents have had, I don't trust or respect hospital care at all.

that is so awful. I totally get your distrust - I did get the vaccine, but based upon some truly bad experiences my parents have had, I don't trust or respect hospital care at all.

I always tell my friends who still have their elderly parents to "always" go to the Dr or ER with them.

I didn't even mention the IV infiltration I had on the last ER visit. After that I refused to go again.

I always tell my friends who still have their elderly parents to "always" go to the Dr or ER with them.

I didn't even mention the IV infiltration I had on the last ER visit. After that I refused to go again.

I think that's the worst part of this covid life so far - my mom has just started having serious health issues in the last year (at 73) and I can't go in with her because she's not incapacitated so we don't qualify for an exception to "patients only" limited access rules. I have at least been able to sit in on her telehealth visits with her PCP, but that's it. When she's doing the important/out-of-the-ordinary things, like a surgical consult she has this week, I'm consigned to waiting in the car.

I hope you've been able to find better treatment after such a lousy experience. I really feel like even in ordinary times, most of our hospital/emergency and urgent care resources are one bad day away from catastrophic mistakes due to rushing or being overtaxed. In covid times, it feels like serious errors are practically inevitable.

I think that's the worst part of this covid life so far - my mom has just started having serious health issues in the last year (at 73) and I can't go in with her because she's not incapacitated so we don't qualify for an exception to "patients only" limited access rules. I have at least been able to sit in on her telehealth visits with her PCP, but that's it. When she's doing the important/out-of-the-ordinary things, like a surgical consult she has this week, I'm consigned to waiting in the car.

I hope you've been able to find better treatment after such a lousy experience. I really feel like even in ordinary times, most of our hospital/emergency and urgent care resources are one bad day away from catastrophic mistakes due to rushing or being overtaxed. In covid times, it feels like serious errors are practically inevitable.
My sister-in-law is the medical power for MIL. When MIL has to actually go to the doctor, she sets it up as a conference call/zoom appointment. That way she can "be" there.

I,am waiting until they are done testing the vaccines on humans.

Well, u'll be happy to hear 817 million ppl around the world have tested it out for you already.

And if you social distance and stay masked, that will reduce your virus risks until you feel safer about the vaccine risks. It's all a balance of risk factors. My husband was on chemo and yet chose to wait until he was off chemo and built up his immune system more (which improves vaccine efficacy) During that time, we weren't hugely concerned because our whole family locked down tight to keep his safe.

Juat want to share somw very encouraging stats from Alberta. Really like the clear way the info was presented :
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-19-alberta-statistics.htm#vaccine-outcomes
  • Since Jan 1, 2021, 0.2% of people with one dose (4,351/2,014,048) were diagnosed with COVID-19 14 days after the first immunization date
  • Since Jan 1, 2021, 0.1% of people with two doses (494/429,489) were diagnosed with COVID-19 14 days after the second immunization date
  • 95.9% of cases (120,403/125,490) since Jan 1, 2021 were unvaccinated or diagnosed within two weeks from the first dose immunization date
  • 93.4% of hospitalized cases (4,982/5,335) since Jan 1, 2021 were unvaccinated or diagnosed within two weeks from the first dose immunization date
  • 88.1% of COVID-19 deaths (628/713) since Jan 1, 2021 were unvaccinated or diagnosed within two weeks from the first dose immunization date

Looking to see if anyone who had said, prior to the vaccine rollout, that they would not get a vaccine due to rapid testing, approval, etc., change their mind and now want a vaccine?

In talking with people over the summer, so many people seemed to say that they would not get a vaccine. Now, it seems people can’t wait to get them as they want to get back to some sort of normalcy.

Anyone change their mind, or even the other way, want a vaccine and now decided to hold off?
Yes, I originally didn't want to get it, but after learning more about the vaccine, what it's made of, what the test results were, and its effectiveness, I decided to get myself and my son vaccinated as soon as possible. Learning that Covid can have the side effect of leaving people with my particular health condition with a worse condition than before also influenced my decision. I'm glad that we're vaccinated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter