Vaccine - change of mind

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
Looking to see if anyone who had said, prior to the vaccine rollout, that they would not get a vaccine due to rapid testing, approval, etc., change their mind and now want a vaccine?

In talking with people over the summer, so many people seemed to say that they would not get a vaccine. Now, it seems people can’t wait to get them as they want to get back to some sort of normalcy.

Anyone change their mind, or even the other way, want a vaccine and now decided to hold off?

I have said I will be waiting to get one and still feel that way. With all the new variants and the vaccine companies already working on boosters or changing up the vaccines, I will continue to wait. Luckily, I am not high risk which is also part of the reason I feel ok waiting.

I was glad, however, that my parents and mother in law were able to get theirs. So I am not anti vaccine. I am more just waiting and seeing. I can’t get one now anyway so it’s really not an issue.

My husband won’t get it. He is of the mindset that it’s too new, worried about long term effects, etc. He says he’s fine social distancing and wearing a mask. He’s a teacher and he teaches in-person, but it works now while kids are hybrid and remote combo, but idk how distanced it will still be in the fall if all 2000 students are expected to show up at his high school for in-person learning at the same time. He isn’t high risk either, so he uses that as part of his justification. He doesn’t mind the masks and the distancing so at least he is committed to being safe if he won’t get a vaccine.
I am the opposite - I’m in behavioral health care and was considered phase 1. I already got both my vaccines and I’m pumped to be part of the return to normalcy.

I will answer for myself & DH. We were both wait and see, despite being of age that puts us in one of the top tiers to get one. However, DH had major health issues in October that puts him in a very high risk category. So, we will be getting our on Saturday. It took a bit to get appointments as the demand has been outpacing availability. Other things going on in our life, as well as working from home, I did not go crazy looking and fighting for a slot. We both work from home, wear masks when necessary and don’t go restaurants, etc. We do what we need to do, but that’s it. So, for us, it was more of a forced issue but we are willing to go for it, if it can keep DH safe. Of course, me too!

My 85 year old dad is still waiting. He will gladly get one and I have signed him up with his county. I keep getting emails that he’s on the list and will get contacted once available. They are going in order of the requests coming in for his county.

I never said I wouldn't get it, but was fine to "wait my turn" because I'd also like to wait and see (other people could be the "guinea pigs.") I still think my turn is a long way off, but I'm ready now.

Especially now a decent number of other people who were in my circle (in pre-covid times) have gotten it (friends/family who are healthcare workers, senior citizens, teachers, etc.) and are starting to get back to a more normal existence. I want that, too.

My mom-72 said no way. But now she has me on the computer trying to get her an appt for one. Though I have had 3 she made me cancel because they were too far...latest grab was 35 min drive. Uggh. And she would prefer the J&J, even though lower success rates, because it is a single dose.

Update: Have since got her an appt after searching non stop since Sunday morning at CVS, Walgreens and Giant. Had 3 options that were 35-90 mins drive and was not acceptable to her. So just now was able to find her one close by. Shew! Glad that's done. Now DD, teacher in MD, needs to get one.

Last edited:
I think this winter did change some minds just because of how bad things got, particularly in places that hadn't seen many cases or deaths earlier in the pandemic. But in my circle, I haven't seen many changes. The one older relative that has been unwilling all along is still unwilling, though she's age-eligible to get it. The friends and relatives that were willing from the start are still willing. DH is still in a wait-and-see posture and somewhat concerned about the allergy issue, so he's hoping to hold out for the J&J shot rather than either of the MRNA vaccines. And I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the newness of the vaccine but resigned to getting it because I figure it'll be required for overseas travel.

I changed my spouse's mind. One personal reason and two rational ones...maybe they change someone else's:)...
1. Enough people have taken the vaccines for all the lethal short and midterm side effects to shake out - they now know to look for and how to handle anaphylaxis. They now know to look for and how to save you (although not always) if you get the crazy, rare, platelet issue. And everything else is pretty much a Shingrix vaccine side effect (and he's seen my suffer through both doses of that).
2. Enough people (especially politicians) have taken them that if there's a lethal long term issue, it will both crop up for them a few months earlier, AND it will engender the same type of money and manpower throw at the issue to overcome it. Aka - society will be forced to fix these if they need a fix, so you don't need to worry about the unlikely, but still a tiny bit possible, scenario.
3. With leukemia, I may not get enough protection from my own shot, so he'll want to back me up and not give me the virus. My DD being gung-ho for this probably also played a role.

I am signing up as soon as I am age eligible and so will our children. DH thinks this is all over blown, he is healthy and does not need it, and even if he gets it he won't have it that bad.

I am done trying to change his mind. He does have a lot of life insurance and I am retiring if he goes.

My DS28 received the Moderna vaccine, 1ST dose so far. He is classified as front line worker, it took him awhile to be able to get an appointment. No issues at all from his first vaccine. He was always going to get one due to his job, however, I think that took a little edge off of DH and I. As I said above, we are now in a have to scenario but that is okay. We are good.

I am signing up as soon as I am age eligible and so will our children. DH thinks this is all over blown, he is healthy and does not need it, and even if he gets it he won't have it that bad.

I am done trying to change his mind. He does have a lot of life insurance and I am retiring if he goes.

For us, it was the long term issues that you may have with actually getting Covid. We were thinking that if we did get sick, fairly unscathed, what about long term lung/heart issues. That was always on our mind but with precautions we were not wanting to be in the first group getting vaccines. Now, we have to and some of those “fears” are now on the back burner.

I changed my spouse's mind. One personal reason and two rational ones...maybe they change someone else's:)...
1. Enough people have taken the vaccines for all the lethal short and midterm side effects to shake out - they now know to look for and how to handle anaphylaxis. They now know to look for and how to save you (although not always) if you get the crazy, rare, platelet issue. And everything else is pretty much a Shingrix vaccine side effect (and he's seen my suffer through both doses of that).
For short time side effects, I agree with you. Midterm, much less long term? Nope. They don't know. IMO, "mid term" would be 1-2 years, and "long term" 2+ years.
2. Enough people (especially politicians) have taken them that if there's a lethal long term issue, it will both crop up for them a few months earlier, AND it will engender the same type of money and manpower throw at the issue to overcome it. Aka - society will be forced to fix these if they need a fix, so you don't need to worry about the unlikely, but still a tiny bit possible, scenario.
That's an interesting thought, but I don't have confidence that if say 10 years down the road the politicians start getting some disease and it's traced to the vaccine, a couple of months isn't going be enough time to do anything.

All that being said I was in the "wait and see" camp, and I've slightly moved off of that. I'm considering the vaccine, but haven't even looked for an appointment even though I'm now eligible.

I would love to change my husbands mind. He told me he was going to ask his DR first. Then a month later when he has his yearly DR visit he conveniently forgot to ask the DR about it.
Maybe he'll come around when he sees his 31 yr old daughter ( grocery store employee) and me (<65) receive ours when the time comes.

I wanted to get when available. Old guy here, ongoing lung issues for a number of years. Know quite a lot of people who have contracted the illness, and our best of friends passed away late last year. As for most everybody, not the easiest to get an appointment. But, I did get my first, Moderna, 27 days ago. Getting my second tomorrow. My wife was on the fence, still is. But, I think as time goes on, maybe another month or so, she will get it. With 77,000,000+ shots in the arm so far, and apparently no problems other than an expected number of short, quick treated allergic reactions, does not seem much to be concerned about relative to adverse results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter