Using UK Disabled Parking Badge

OK, here is the very latest latest info, thanks to our friends at the Osceola County CVB, who have obviously been working at this non-stop with the local tax authority.

And the good news is...........British visitors CAN now apply, officially and properly, in advance, by mail for the temporary disabled parking permit.

The Osceola CVB have realised it was a confusing situation and, as they are a government body like the local tax office, have liaised directly with their head tax office to authorise written requests, that will then send the necessary permit back by return mail.

It ideally needs to be sent by certified mail (i.e. so that someone signs for it on receipt at the tax office), and it must include a money order for $15 (or credit card details - see below), a copy (both sides) of your UK blue disabled badge, and a copy of your personal details in your passport (the last pages). But, once you have that done, put them all in an envelope

1) Copy of your UK disabled badge (both sides)
2) Copy of your photo ID from your passport
3) Money order for $15 payable to Osceola County Tax Collector

And send it to:

Tag Department
Osceola Tax Collector
2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee
Florida 34744
USA

You should allow for at least 4 weeks for the process to be completed and it will be valid for a full 6 months.

The phone number there is 407 742 4000 and fax 407 742 3995.

You can still apply in person, and the office hours are 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

Oh, and here is the confirmation in their official document:

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT BY A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY:

Administratively, a temporary disabled parking permit may be issued to a citizen of another country who is here in a visitor status. The following must be verified:

• A copy of the out-of-country parking permit. If the permit has two sides, copy both sides.
• Visually see a passport or comparable identification to verify ownership of the out-of country parking permit. A Florida driver license or ID card is not required.

NOTE: One valid temporary parking permit may be issued for up to 6 months. The fee is $15.

PS: Here is some additional info supplied by the Osceola County CVB:

1) The Osceola Tax Collector pays the postage fee for the mailing from the US to the UK. UK applicants do not have to provide an extra fee for postage.
2) They suggest to get the application in 4 weeks prior to the trip. The office has a 1-2 day turnaround on the applications but they said to allow for the extra time just in case.
3) They require a U.S. money order for $15 made to the Osceola County Tax Collector. Applicants can pay by credit card. They ask that applicants provide name on the credit card, credit card number, and expiration date. There is an additional $2 fee charged for applicants using their credit cards.

Simon - many thanks!

Re your note at the end: am I right in assuming that you can reapply for another permit when that one expires, say for the next trip that is more than 6 months after the first permit began?

OK, here is the very latest latest info, thanks to our friends at the Osceola County CVB, who have obviously been working at this non-stop with the local tax authority.

And the good news is...........British visitors CAN now apply, officially and properly, in advance, by mail for the temporary disabled parking permit.

The Osceola CVB have realised it was a confusing situation and, as they are a government body like the local tax office, have liaised directly with their head tax office to authorise written requests, that will then send the necessary permit back by return mail.

It ideally needs to be sent by certified mail (i.e. so that someone signs for it on receipt at the tax office), and it must include a money order for $15, a copy (both sides) of your UK blue disabled badge, and a copy of your personal details in your passport (the last pages). But, once you have that done, put them all in an envelope

1) Copy of your UK disabled badge (both sides)
2) Copy of your photo ID from your passport
3) Money order for $15 payable to Osceola County Tax Collector

And send it to:

Tag Department
Osceola Tax Collector
2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee
Florida 34744
USA

You should allow for at least 3 weeks for the process to be completed and it will be valid for a full 6 months.

The phone number there is 407 742 4000 and fax 407 742 3995.

You can still apply in person, and the office hours are 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

Oh, and here is the confirmation in their official document:

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT BY A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY:

Administratively, a temporary disabled parking permit may be issued to a citizen of another country who is here in a visitor status. The following must be verified:

• A copy of the out-of-country parking permit. If the permit has two sides, copy both sides.
• Visually see a passport or comparable identification to verify ownership of the out-of country parking permit. A Florida driver license or ID card is not required.

NOTE: One valid temporary parking permit may be issued for up to 6 months. The fee is $15.

Thank you for that, will apply for my ds badge tomorrow. I was considering avoiding all places where his badge wasnt accepted:)

Just a daft question:confused: not had much experience can i not send a chq & where do i get a money order from? Thank you :goodvibes

Thank you for that, will apply for my ds badge tomorrow. I was considering avoiding all places where his badge wasnt accepted:)

Just a daft question:confused: not had much experience can i not send a chq & where do i get a money order from? Thank you :goodvibes

If you have a dollar account and can send a dollar check then yes you can. Otherwise moneyorders are available from banks (and I think Post Offices) and are like a check but done in dollars and drawn on the bank rather than your personal account. Most places will charge you for a money order - about £8 or £10 I think. Long time since I got one.

Have just amended to add they will accept credit card details (for $2 extra), which is probably a better bet than getting a money order from your bank.

And, yes, I would read it to understand you can apply for a similar disabled badge in future when the 6 months runs out.

We have just returned and obtained a temporary disabled parking tag from the tax office on Boggy Creek Road.

1. You will need your UK blue badge, they would not accept copies, they prefer to make their own.
2. Photo ID and ID with your address on, remember UK passports do not carry addresses.
3. $15

The process should only take a few minutes, it was longer for us because the clerk hadn't issued one before and was unsure of procedures and not familiar with our UK documents. She had to call a supervisor in.
She also said she didn't think we should have to apply, that they should accept our badge as they accept tags from other states.
I do feel this is discrimnatory, Florida residents pay $1.50 for a tag which is valid up to 4 years, ours was only valid for 90 days. As far as I can see the only difference is the colour, it cannot cost more to issue one than the other.

Thanks, folks, but this really has been a big effort from the Kissimmee CVB and the Osceola County Tax office.

I had a meeting yesterday with the head of the Tax Office for Osceola County and was very impressed by how they have worked hard to make this possible. They have pretty much taken a unilateral decision to make this work for visiting tourists and taken it upon themselves to set up the necessary mailing mechanism to handle all the permit applications. It is pretty rare these days for a government body to go out on a limb like this when no-one else seemed interested in dealing with the problem (or even recognising the fact there WAS a problem), but they are definitely a very pro-active bunch with a high regard for the importance of their tourist visitors, which is very heartening. I was also able to pass on the thanks of all here for our concerns being dealt with in such a speedy and satisfactory manner (they really DID pull off an incredible feat in such a short time, once the Kissimmee CVB brought it to their attention). In particular, thanks are due to Larry White at the CVB for not letting the issue drop and to Patsy Heffner and her staff at the Tax Office (which is the big new one on the eastern end of Highway 192 in Kissimmee - a bit further out but with plenty of staff to process applications, even on a Monday morning!).

So, just to confirm, this mail-in facility is most definitely now available and you can apply to the Osceola County office even if you are not visiting the Kissimmee area as the temporary parking permit is valid for all of Florida.

Happy 4th of July, folks!

Simon

Just wanted to say Thank you:thumbsup2 I faxed a letter to the tax collector including a copy of both passport and blue badge. I phoned to see if they had received it (twice) both times I was told they had no record of it! Guess what arrived this morning - our temp parking permit. I did include our crdit card number on the letter - stupid I know :rolleyes1 , but only the same as posting the number. Although i did use a card with only a small amount on it and had the permit posted to another family members house that way they havent got the correct billing address for card!

Just a quick update, but the Osceola County Tax office have been pleasantly surprised at how many poastal applications they are now getting (which shows how worthwhile this has been!), but they have also been getting some applications that include cash, and this is a concern to them for obvious reasons (sending cash in the post is NEVER advisable). They have asked me to just remind people that applications should be accompanied only by a certified cheque or money order. That way everyone is happy!

Thanks Simon. Are they no longer accepting a credit card as form of payment?

Great news they are accepting Postal applications, a big relief for us as we arrive on a Friday next March and would probably otherwise have to wait until Monday to get ourselves sorted.

Sorry; yes, you can still send your credit card details as an alternative means of payment :)

Simon

This subject should fill a page or two in your Brits Guide 2009 book, :rotfl:

This is Julie not Johnny

Simon, your efforts and successes on this issue are outstanding.

And you certainly have improved the situation immensely.
But i have to say that I am very disappointed with the Florida authorities on this issue. Requiring people to do this at all is outrageous in my opinion - but not surprising since Florida is so greedy when it comes to taxes on just about anything related to tourists.

I know you won't agree with me since you have to keep the lines of communication with the authorities open. (you can't afford to ruffle any feathers or burn any bridges) But i can say it. And i just did.

Does anyone know if it is possible to access, the Disabled parking area at WDW, Universal, etc if you do NOT have a Blue parking badge???

I am asking because I am due to travel to Florida in October, and will be on my own with my disabled son Travis.... He is registered blind and has a number of disabilites, including being wheelchair bound, but is only 20 months old, and not yet able to get a UK badge ( he will get one when he is 2yrs due to his blindness).

It would be impossible for me to access the Trams to get to the entrance, if we have to park at one of the far away parking lots, so we would have a LONG walk..!!

Also one of his medical conditions means that being out in the heat for long periods is not advisable, so it would be great if we can get closer to the entrance.

If anyone knows about this I would appreciate some advice, Thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter