Update on my hotel search

Juliettte

Earning My Ears
Well, I just thought I would post here to let everyone know that I pretty much found a reasonable priced hotel for my trip. After calling some hotels, I got a rate of $69 a night at the Park Vue Inn, and that rate is with the senior discount. Candy Cane gives $10.00 off, and HoJo Plaza gives 15% off for seniors. Unless I can find a hotel for under that, we have a winner. Now if I can find a reasonable airfare. Southwest doesn't fly from Detroit to SNA, only to LAX and Ontario (I'd rather fly to SNA), and besides, their so called "discount fares" are promotions, regular are from something like $400 something to $700 something,...... and that's for non seniors. YA RIGHT!!Seniors are $129 each way. Any suggestions?? LOL!!! Besides, what's Ontario airport like? The reservationist I talked to said its' about 40 miles from Anaheim....

Thanks for all your hotel suggestions everyone!!

Juliettt

We are flying into Ontario the end of May. We have flown into LAX once and San Diego once also.
When's your trip scheduled? Maybe I can answer some questions later to help you.

We are going from Ontario directly to my sis' somewhere by Joshua Tree. So I don't know about Ontario to DL. (And I better find out what town my sis just moved to! It's not Joshua Tree, but near it and don't even remember the name!) :D :rolleyes: ;)

AK : Lions, Tiggers & Bears! Oh My!
CSR: 01/01
DL- off site: 05/01
WDW - on site: 01/02

My trip isn't exactly "scheduled" yet, it's still in the mostly planning stages, but we hope to go May 4-11, 2002. What's better to fly into, LAX, or SNA?? Also, I HATE Spirit Airline's schedule from Detroit to LAX, it leaves Detroit 7:30 pm, arrives LAX 9:30pm.....I'd rather leave earlier, with Spirit, you lose a day!! Leaving LAX is even worse, it leaves at 10:30, but doesn't get into Detroit until 6am.....makes no sense, but I plan to call Spirit to ask about why it takes longer returning (8 hours) then it does going......anyone have any ideas? Anyone flown Spirit??

Juliettt

Our SAN vs LAX experience:
We flew Midwest Express in/out of LAX January 2000. It was run down and dirty, 50-s looking, and very cheaply tried to update. I said something to my sis. She said we were flown into the old part.
But, LAX has their act together better than San Diego airport. And it is a LOVELY view when flying in and out.
Flying into LAX looks like you should hear the Dragnet theme music in the background. :D ;)
And leaving, you fly out over the ocean (and circle back) and it's very nice!!
We flew into SAN May 1999, we remember having to walk quite aways just to get to the luggage pick-up. And when we finally did, just with our luck, their dang fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the building. It took a half hour. Then were allowed in to pick up our luggage.
SAN has a noise ordinance too that does not allow planes to fly certain hours. I think it's midnight to 6 a.m. And the biggie -- only ONE runway.
:rolleyes:
And you will notice a strong military presence in S.D. (But not as big as it use to be, before that big base was shut down.) If a national emergency happened, the military would take over the one run way SAN does have! (Not likely to happen while you are on vacation. hehehe)
LAX is easier for travelers, in our experiences. I found on our last visit, that rental cars were cheaper at LAX than San Diego too. I saved $30 by getting it at LAX, rather than S.D.
Just don't stay at a hotel east of the 405. (I think it's the 405 that runs beside LAX.) We stayed at the Comfort Inn, right off the east 405 ramp. The room wasn't bad for the price, but even that area is unsettling. I wouldn't do it again to save a few bucks. DH took his life in his own hands just by walking next door to a run down liquor store to use their ATM. The Comfort Inn didn't even have one.
If I was flying in for S.D. again, I would check out John Wayne airport.
We are flying into Ontario this time because that is closer to my sister's than LAX.

it doesn't take any longer to fly from Detroit to Lax than it does to fly from Lax to Detroit. It is the time difference that make it appear that way. When you leave LAX at 10pm at night, it is already 1am in detroit, add the 4 hour flight time to that plus added on time for potential delays, and you have your 8 hour flight.

travel.gif

We're looking at flying into SNA (John Wayne Airport)in Santa Ana which is near Anaheim, you were talking about SAN (San Diego (I think)....BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Just thought I would point that out!!

Juliettte

Ah ha! Yes, you are correct-o!
How in the heck did they get SNA for John Wayne? :rolleyes: I take it SAN must represent what the was airport named before Ol' John Boy. ;) :D
I know the vicinity of JWA. But don't for Santa Ana. Guess I do now! hehehe...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter