Unpopular Opinions?

I'll give a try with my "unpopular" opinions and will try not to duplicate something that has been already said. ***FYI never been to Disneyland yet but have a July trip scheduled but most of my references relate to rides at both parks.

1) Mickey's PhilharMagic
I absolutely love Pirates, Haunted Manson, Big Thunder, Splash, Soarin, Test Track (with the DCA Cars theme) and Tower of Terror (with the DCA GotG theme). Although my #1 unpopular opinion is that PhilharMagic is my favorite ride/attraction! There I said it! LOL

I just absolutely love everything about this ride and have to do this attraction multiple times. The theming to mix classic Disney with Mickey/Donald, elements of Fantasia with the sorcerers hat and Disney Renaissance era films is amazing and never gets old to me. Can't wait to get to DCA in 2 months to ride this multiple times during the day!

2) Toy Story Midway Mania!
Others have said they don't like this ride. Although my opinion differs on this slightly, as I have to say it's my least favorite ride EVER!!! Here's some context. About 8 years ago at Hollywood Studios, during the week of Christmas, all the Fast Passes went by quickly and it went strictly to Stand-By at 10am. Kids love Toy Story, so we visited the area, took many character pictures with Buzz and Woody. But the lines for the ride were approaching 2+ hours around 11am. So we decided to skip it and do everything else that we did get fast passes for. That night, after the first showing of Fantasmic at 7pm, we decided to call it a day and go back to the hotel to relax after walking the whole day with 3 kids all under the age of 10.

Except our kids were not having none of it and were not leaving till they went on Midway Mania! I was done and was ready to leave but then my little girl pulled out the trump card with this little line....."Daddy, my Disney experience would NOT be complete unless we do THIS ride. PLEASE!" I'm a sucker and how could I say no? So we went on the Stand-By line for a little over 3 hours of pure torture! Although it was going to be worth it, I kept on telling myself. We finally get on the ride at just as the park was closing and here we go....

At the end of the ride, I can't say how disappointed I was. This was the ride we waited 3 hours for??? Crappy 3D carnival game? At least my kids loved it but from that point on, this would easily top my least favorite rides list. Kids convinced me to give it another try when we visit DCA in July. Although with one condition, that I will not go on it if the lines are more than 20 minutes. Hoping for a busy day at Midway Mania with 30+ minute wait times on the day we visit. :)

Last edited:
2) Toy Story Midway Mania!

At the end of the ride, I can't say how disappointed I was. This was the ride we waited 3 hours for??? Crappy 3D carnival game? At least my kids loved it but from that point on, this would easily top my least favorite rides list. Kids convinced me to give it another try when we visit DCA in July. Although with one condition, that I will not go on it if the lines are more than 20 minutes. Hoping for a busy day at Midway Mania with 30+ minute wait times on the day we visit. :)

I don't get it either. The ride is fine but I am not going to wait in a long line to ride it. Definitely not worth a long wait.

I love that! And I didn't know about that aspect of WDW, so thank you! We've only been once (Christmas Eve 2019) but we adored Epcot. It made us dislike DCA even more XD

Those Disney After Dark parties are the best thing at WDW IMO. The ticket gets you in 2 hours before park closing, then the park is way less crowded for the event. Saves so much time in lines. Also, they give free ice cream bars (unlimited), popcorn, and soft drinks. I ate my weight in ice cream, grabbed a bunch for my backpack on the way out too (they don't care). Walking on rides! So much better.

This thread was fun to read through. I share many of these unpopular opinions!
My most unpopular ones possibly:
I also like Guardians way more than the ToT. It is probably my favorite CA ride, actually. BUT it is mostly just because I do not enjoy spooky things, and I feel like Guardians is more of a party. :)
Along those lines, I do not enjoy riding the Haunted Mansion. I appreciate the heck out of it, but again with the creepiness factor. I still ride it most trips, just don't love it at all.
I have always loved California Adventure since it opened when I was 18, though I think it has added so much great stuff since then that has made it better.
Even though I love Guardians and I even love Marvel, I am not overly excited about them being in Disney. I also love Star Wars, and think it's weird that it's Disney now, though I've gotten more used to it over the years.
I would love them to discontinue the monthly payments for AP's and I am really hoping that the reservation system (especially for passes) might help with the overcrowding that really impacts my experience when I'm at Disney. But I'M not close enough to go more than several times a year even when I do have a pass, so...

Those Disney After Dark parties are the best thing at WDW IMO. The ticket gets you in 2 hours before park closing, then the park is way less crowded for the event. Saves so much time in lines. Also, they give free ice cream bars (unlimited), popcorn, and soft drinks. I ate my weight in ice cream, grabbed a bunch for my backpack on the way out too (they don't care). Walking on rides! So much better.

I agree, they are so much fun! I've had similar experiences doing that. On nights when the parks close early, they held private corporate parties after park closure.

My job in the 2000's required me to go on all expenses paid week long IBM\Lotus conferences held every year at the WDW Swan and Dolphin resorts (non-Disney owned but on Disney property hotels).

Part of the conference, on the last night on Thursday's, they'd rent out a local area theme park. When they close to the public at 7pm, they'd then hold a party for us from 8pm to 11pm. Several years it was at SeaWorld, Universal Studios Island of Adventure.....although my favorites were when they were held at the Disney Parks. They had it at Epcot twice and another time at Animal Kingdom.

Nothing like having a free run of an empty theme park to go on rides for 3 hours with unlimited food, alcohol and a DJ playing music over the park's sound system.

I despise bubble wands and the endless streams of soapy bubbles they inflict on all those unfortunate enough to be in their line of fire.

Oh my goodness!!! I SO agree with you on this. I mean, the bubble wands are cool, but not in the parks, for Pete's sake! When my family was there a couple of years ago, we were eating grilled cheese and tomato soup at Jolly Holliday and a little girl (around 5 years-old) was running around between her parents table and ours while her bubble machine happily blew bubbles all over our food. I tried to catch the parents' eye, but they were completely oblivious. Just as I was trying to figure out a way to politely say something to the parents, a person at the next table over loudly (not quite yelling, but quite firmly) told the little girl to stop blowing soap on their food. The little girl meekly went to stand next to her still oblivious parents with the bubble wand still blowing bubbles, but at least it was blowing them out over the walkway at that point.

Let me try. Some of these might actually be popular but feel free to agree/disagree:

*I'm against Marvel and Star Wars in the parks and feel that Disney should be broken up and Marvel and Star Wars should be taken away from them.
*Toy Story Mania and Buzz are disappointments
*I don't like turkey legs
*There's nothing wrong with a California themed park in California, the problem with DCA was the execution and low budget.
*Autopia and the subs need to stay forever. The Nemo theme can go but there must always be submarines in the lagoon.
*Fantasmic should've never been changed
*Disneyland actually can be completed and I'd say was completed in 1995 following the opening of Indiana Jones
*If nothing changed at the park people would still go (I certainly would) in part because Disney is one of if not the only company in the US that can live on its name. Now 15-20 years ago I would've said no way to that.
*I'd be fine if Fastpass went away forever and everyone had to stand in stand-by queues again no matter what or if ticket books came back.
*Snow White should never have been changed. Disneyland needs scary and macabre attractions.

Last edited:
- Since they now have Galaxy's Edge, why did they leave Star Tours in Tomorrowland? I get it - they own the franchise! Why does it have to be in two separate lands?
- I'm not thrilled about Avengers Campus either. I mean, I understand that when Disney acquires a popular franchise, they want to pull as much money out of it as possible, but it doesn't fit for me. (I know - I'm probably the only one who thinks like this). What if they create new lands/campuses for everything they own? They own Lifetime. Does that mean it makes sense to have a land dedicated to cheating spouses, stalkers, and sappy romances?
- New lands/attractions seem to lean more toward adults, and less for children or those who can't do more aggressive rides. What I liked about Disney over the years is the balance between the two. I think they need to be more balanced in the future.
- I TOTALLY agree with those who hate turkey legs! YUCK!

- Since they now have Galaxy's Edge, why did they leave Star Tours in Tomorrowland? I get it - they own the franchise! Why does it have to be in two separate lands?

I would be okay with moving Star Tours to Galaxy's Edge, if they kept the character meet and great in Tomorrowland. Trying to get a decent picture with the characters in Galaxy's Edge is hard. The characters are on a mission and on the move. They are not usually eager/willing to take pictures. I get they are trying to do a whole immersive experience, but there are people who really enjoy taking pictures with the characters, and the character meet and great in Tomorrowland is much easier and much better than trying to get a character picture in Galaxy's Edge.

They just can’t simply move star tours. The ride would need to be demolished to get it out of its current location. Why would they destroy a ride just so they can remove it? It will probably just get themed to something else in the future. It’s kind of a crappy ride now anyways with the new trilogy over lay. #bring back old star tours.

Eating massive amount of food dye doesn't appeal to me, so that counts out about 99% of the treats at DL and WDW.
Oh yeah! Mickey and Minnie are cute, but I DON'T want to eat black and red icing. The raspberry macaron at Jolly Holiday makes my stomach turn just looking at it--it's about 5 times the size it should be so I don't even want to guess at the amount of dark raspberry dye in that thing.

Oh yeah! Mickey and Minnie are cute, but I DON'T want to eat black and red icing. The raspberry macaron at Jolly Holiday makes my stomach turn just looking at it--it's about 5 times the size it should be so I don't even want to guess at the amount of dark raspberry dye in that thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that macaron is colored with something natural, like beetroot powder. I'm an amateur pastry chef and red dye is notorious for being bitter and VERY obvious. I've not been able to find one that tastes good when used in large quantities. But I love that macaron and cannot taste even a hint of food coloring. It's scrumptious.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that macaron is colored with something natural, like beetroot powder. I'm an amateur pastry chef and red dye is notorious for being bitter and VERY obvious. I've not been able to find one that tastes good when used in large quantities. But I love that macaron and cannot taste even a hint of food coloring. It's scrumptious.
Oh, thanks! That's good to know :). My friend LOVES the raspberry macaron. I tried it, and it didn't taste bitter at all, but it wasn't a true macaron by my standards LOL! But I could eat my weight in Matterhorn macaroons...

I would be okay with moving Star Tours to Galaxy's Edge, if they kept the character meet and great in Tomorrowland. Trying to get a decent picture with the characters in Galaxy's Edge is hard. The characters are on a mission and on the move. They are not usually eager/willing to take pictures. I get they are trying to do a whole immersive experience, but there are people who really enjoy taking pictures with the characters, and the character meet and great in Tomorrowland is much easier and much better than trying to get a character picture in Galaxy's Edge.
I'd be okay with that. Honestly I just think Tomorrowland is congested and often a hot mess. By moving something out, maybe they could have a targeted area for meet-and-greets or something similar. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so having rides in two areas seems a bit excessive to me.

BUT it is mostly just because I do not enjoy spooky things, and I feel like Guardians is more of a party. :)

This reason exactly!!! I could ride GOTG over and over because it's so much fun. ToT was more of a one and done for me. (And still is at WDW.) It's completely transformed the experience for me.

I would love them to discontinue the monthly payments for AP's and I am really hoping that the reservation system (especially for passes) might help with the overcrowding that really impacts my experience when I'm at Disney. But I'M not close enough to go more than several times a year even when I do have a pass, so...

I'm generally afraid to say this on here, but yes. Same. And we were local APs for 5 years, doing monthly payments for at least a couple of those. Disneyland is like visiting an outdoor mall after work for a lot of locals, and it just takes away from the specialness of it for everyone, especially people who don't visit as much and then have to deal with all the insane crowds the locals bring in. Every single Friday evening is a perfect example....and I say that as someone who used to go after class/work many Fridays with friends when I was in my early 20s!

I totally agree with this, and have been saying this since the announcement of GE at DL.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like GE being at Disneyland. I am fine with Star Wars (DH is the real fan, I'm more of a fan by proxy), but I don't think it fits with Disneyland, specifically. I think it makes a lot more sense at Hollywood Studios in WDW, and I would have rather seen it over at DCA than at DL, since DCA is more about the franchise lands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter