UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Im due 17th October expecting to hear something very soon, looking at those dates I should know by 15th Sep. :(

Anybody had any news on their October trips yet?
I killed my Disney bookings rather than pay the balances (no flights). I was going to pay and hang on until the last, but between Afghanistan, Ida and still rising US (and UK) infections I gave up hope.
I'm now planning a possible Canaries trip, but won't book until the last minute ... because, you know, s**t happens at a day's notice currently. And if the US suddenly said "We'll be open in X days/weeks" I might just look for a last minute booking to WDW anyway.

Barking, desperate, clutching-at-straws? Yep. But I'm at an age where pride is of no concern - just get it done :crazy:

I'm due to travel on 19th December. The longer this goes on, I'm getting worried that I'll be cancelled around mid Nov and then they will announce the borders are opening early December or something! The way flight prices are, I doubt we'll be able to afford to re book last minute.

I'm due to travel on 19th December. The longer this goes on, I'm getting worried that I'll be cancelled around mid Nov and then they will announce the borders are opening early December or something! The way flight prices are, I doubt we'll be able to afford to re book last minute.
I am due to fly on 13 December. I think that if the industry gets any indication that the borders will open, the airlines will push back the cancellation dates. Keep hoping!

Keep a watch on the news today.

Biden to outline plan to curb coronavirus Delta variant as cases grow

President Joe Biden on Thursday will present a six-pronged strategy intended to fight the spread of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant and increase U.S. COVID-19 vaccinations, the White House said on Tuesday.

White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters traveling with Biden aboard Air Force One that he will lay out the strategy "working across the public and private sectors to help continue to get the pandemic under control."

~~~~~~

This could be the big September plan announcement that leaks and rumors have been talking about. It sounds like this announcement will cover from now to Christmas, so as hard as it is to think about, if there is nothing in todays announcement about the travel ban being lifted, then we need to think about giving up on travel in 2021 :(

Live on CNN just now, they outlined 5 of the 6 sections
  1. Vaccine Mandates
  2. Booster Vaccine Shots
  3. Safety in Schools
  4. Economic Recovery
  5. Improving Care for Covid Patients
Its possible the travel ban could be in the Economic Recovery section. :confused3

Unless America gets better control of delta especially heading into winter I’m not hopeful.

I really don't think travel will come under the economic recovery. Domestic travel has been booming from what I've read, and I'm not sure that us Brits not being allowed in is really hurting them.

I really don't think travel will come under the economic recovery. Domestic travel has been booming from what I've read, and I'm not sure that us Brits not being allowed in is really hurting them.

its not "just" The UK , the travel ban affects the 26 EU countries, as well as China, Brazil, India, South Africa and Iran. And its not just about UK people wanting to go to Walt Disney World in Florida.

All the thousands of people from these countries living and working in the USA on work visas as well as the European airlines who have had to cancel routes to US airports. The huge reduction of European airlines flying into US airports means huge unemployment at the US airports for all the Americans who were employed by the airports and airlines.

Everyone seems to focus on the Uk people wanting to go to Walt Disney World on holiday, but the travel bans have a far wider consequence and is actually hurting the US economic recovery after Covid.

Well as I don't live in any of those countries, nor do I have any interest in visiting them I naturally focus on the UK.
And I still think domestic travel is booming in the US

Not sure why you gave my post an angry reaction Tink?!
Because "BadPinkTink"? :)

But seriously, yes, the US seems to be doing fine with their 'staycation' policy and (with my very cynical hat on) I'm sure their airlines would be very happy for VA, etc, to go bust so they can pick up the business for themselves.

The huge reduction of European airlines flying into US airports means huge unemployment at the US airports for all the Americans who were employed by the airports and airlines.
Most of those staff would have been got rid of anyway, because that's how it happens in the US, and now they have to rehire them, or hire fresh.
By most accounts the US is struggling to get people to fill vacancies (like us though probably slightly different reasons), so I'm not sure that unemployment is a big thing for them. Could be that reopening international travel would break their immigration systems just now.

I had a quick scroll through Biden's speech tonight and the 'economic' bit in full, but there was nothing about foreign travel that I found. (There was a bit about doubling fines for not masking up on public transport.)
He did (I think) mention he'd be announcing more plans "next month".
So from our POV ... :( ... unless I missed something? *

( * I did notice some other things, but talking about them would be pushing the edges of the forum 'no political stuff' rules, so :ssst: )

Last edited:
I really dont see us being allowed back in this year now.

Even if one side gives the thumbs up the chances of the other are slim considering the numbers and the expected winter boom.

I console myself with allowing the genie to do its worst and be picked apart by vloggers until i have a really good plan on how to navigate it. I also allows me to look at alternative stays for the break. Its gutting i know having lost last years trip but maybe it gives tron chance to open before we are allowed back in.

I really dont see us being allowed back in this year now.

Even if one side gives the thumbs up the chances of the other are slim considering the numbers and the expected winter boom.

I console myself with allowing the genie to do its worst and be picked apart by vloggers until i have a really good plan on how to navigate it. I also allows me to look at alternative stays for the break. Its gutting i know having lost last years trip but maybe it gives tron chance to open before we are allowed back in.

I know , I'm starting to feel the same way. :( My cut off point is the end of September, I'm trying to get my head around giving up on 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter