TV in kids room?

#3, 4 and 5 are just plain false.

In my home #4 is not false at all. When my kids were younger, they read any Star Wars book we could find. They read several tween books that chronical more stories of the adventures of Indiana Jones. After seeing the The Lightening Thief movie both of my sons read all 7 of the Percy Jackson books. After watching Narnia movie, one of my sons asked for the books. When the trailer for the Hunger Games movie came out, one son read all 3 books before hand. The other read them all after seeing the movie.

A lot of movies have inspired my kids to read books.

regards

My boys have been asking to have a TV in their room, they are 11 and almost 8. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.:confused3 I did not have a TV in my bedroom until I was married.

My daughter is 15. She got a TV in her room (for Christmas) when she was 10. One of my biggest regrets.

If I had to do it all over again, there would be no TV or computer in her room and iPod use would be down to a very minimum. I would rather have her reading, creating, drawing, or doing something constructive.

First, I'd point out that #1 and 2 are the same concept.

#3, 4 and 5 are just plain false. TV shows keep going and advertisers keep paying by pulling kids in; they fail in their mission by encouraging kids to develop "unplugged" interests. TV discourages actually discourages reading; and whereas reading helps kids to visualize their own ideas about the characters and storyline, TV provides "visual cues" that remove the possibility of other options for all but the brightest children -- yeah, adults may discuss, "I pictured the character younger and not quite so emotionally tough", but kids just accept these things at face value.

Note that every one of these possibilities includes the magical word CAN. They CAN happen under ideal circumstances, but since we live in the real world probably don't actually come to pass 99% of the time. Need evidence? Well, you said yourself that these things require "attentive parenting", whereas a good number of people on this very thread have admitted that they let their kids have personal TVs so that they aren't bothered by their cartoons or video games, or so that they can have some quiet time for themselves. These pie-in-the-sky CANS only happen for children IF the parents and children watch together and discuss, and plenty of TV-in-the-bedroom advocates on this thread have admitted that isn't happening.

As for #7, this is one of my biggest concerns about TV these days. When we were kids, most shows contained positive role models /moral lessons. No matter what kind of trouble might've encompassed the Cosby kids, Dad was always a positive influence in their lives, and a loving take-away moral was always included by the end of the show. In contrast, today we have cartoons that aren't really child-appropriate, and shows that focus just on the comic situations without any positive moral; for example, while I like The Big Bang Theory, it's just a funny show -- no positive role models or morals for kids, yet tweens and teens watch it. And reality TV is the exact opposite of positive role models.

Even if these things were true, they would have a stronger, more positive influence if they were viewed in a family setting rather than in an individual bedroom.

'Sorry but #4 100% worked for my DD. She hates to read, yet she reads very well. there have been movies as well as TV shows that have encouraged her to read. So they may be false in your opinion, but in my real life, they have been 100% true.

And why does TV have to teach a lesson, do you not do anything jus for pure 100% entertainment or to decompress. that is why I watch some of the TV that I do and when I want to learn something I tune in to Discovery of NATGEO or that type of network. It is ok to just chill out.

Also why do I need to discuss my kids tv programs with them, I mean are we talking about toddlers here or tweens and teens. Funny, parents are encouraged to to out, even take vacations "AWAY' from their kids, but god forbit you let them go in alone and watch a stinking TV show. I don't get it.

ETA> I am certainly not telling people that they should put a TV in their child's room. I am saying the most of the excuses here are total BUNK. My kids are great kids, we love spending time together, they don't have sleep issues and yet somehow all of this happened with TVs in their rooms.

My DD wouldn't be caught dead creating or drawing something. After practice and about 2-3 hours of homework, she wants TV and I have no problem with this what so ever.

In my home #4 is not false at all. When my kids were younger, they read any Star Wars book we could find. They read several tween books that chronical more stories of the adventures of Indiana Jones. After seeing the The Lightening Thief movie both of my sons read all 7 of the Percy Jackson books. After watching Narnia movie, one of my sons asked for the books. When the trailer for the Hunger Games movie came out, one son read all 3 books before hand. The other read them all after seeing the movie.

A lot of movies have inspired my kids to read books.

regards
My experience has been quite the opposite -- both with my own kids and with the students I've taught over two decades: If a movie is available (that is, a quick fix, an easy way to "get the story"), all interest in the book is gone. That's why in my classroom I won't teach any book that's been made into a movie. I've learned the hard way that kids who say, "I've seen it" end up not reading the book -- and then they are surprised when the book doesn't completely mirror the movie.

Example: The vast majority of my students know Harry Potter only as a movie character.
And why does TV have to teach a lesson, do you not do anything jus for pure 100% entertainment or to decompress . . . Also why do I need to discuss my kids tv programs with them, I mean are we talking about toddlers here or tweens and teens . . . but god forbit you let them go in alone and watch a stinking TV show. I don't get it.
The point was that in the past kids could relax and watch a TV show AND ALSO come away with a positive moral lesson. It isn't happening today, and kids are missing out on that in other areas of their lives. TV shows are just one place kids are no longer getting their daily dose of moral fiber -- plenty of others exist, but it's adding up to problems for today's kids.

Back up a few posts: The poster to whom I was responding commented that TV can be a positive if you discuss the content with your kids. I was saying that just doesn't happen the vast majority of the time. You've just provided evidence to back up my point.

Forbid kids to watch a show? You're stretching the argument. My argument isn't with kids watching the occasional TV show; it's that kids shouldn't have unlimited, unmonitored access in their own bedrooms.

My experience has been quite the opposite -- both with my own kids and with the students I've taught over two decades: If a movie is available (that is, a quick fix, an easy way to "get the story"), all interest in the book is gone.

Example: The vast majority of my students know Harry Potter only as a movie character. The point was that in the past kids could relax and watch a TV show AND ALSO come away with a positive moral lesson. It isn't happening today, and kids are missing out on that in other areas of their lives. TV shows are just one place kids are no longer getting their daily dose of moral fiber -- plenty of others exist, but it's adding up to problems for today's kids.

Back up a few posts: The poster to whom I was responding commented that TV can be a positive if you discuss the content with your kids. I was saying that just doesn't happen the vast majority of the time. You've just provided evidence to back up my point.

Forbid kids to watch a show? You're stretching the argument. My argument isn't with kids watching the occasional TV show; it's that kids shouldn't have unlimited, unmonitored access in their own bedrooms.

I guess I never expected or even thought about TV teaching kids morals. that is my job. I don't want or expect tv to do that.

YOu are right, it doesn't happen often. I don't feel the need to discuss what happened on a TV show. My job as a parent is to instill values and lessons, it isn't the job of a TV show. We do laugh at shows together or talk about how stupid something is, but I don't have whole conversations about TV programming and what it teaches, that isn't TVS job IMHO, that is MY job. Maybe that is why my kids haven't been harmed by tv in their bedrooms. I keep an open dialog ever day, we talk in great detail. But it isn't about what is on TV. TV is for entertainment purposes. I teach what I want to be taught and so far, I would put my kids morals up against anyones.

For you r last comment about kids having unlimited access, I agree, but that falls right into my "be a parent" theory. Parenting actually works if you do it. My kids have too much going on in their lives to spend hours in front of a TV. HOwever, that can also be done even if there isn't a TV in their bedrooms. Again, it all boils down to being a parent and doing your job as a parent.

My experience has been quite the opposite -- both with my own kids and with the students I've taught over two decades: If a movie is available (that is, a quick fix, an easy way to "get the story"), all interest in the book is gone. That's why in my classroom I won't teach any book that's been made into a movie. I've learned the hard way that kids who say, "I've seen it" end up not reading the book -- and then they are surprised when the book doesn't completely mirror the movie.

You called those statements completely false. When I provided experiences that showed the contrary to one example (tv and movies can encourage reading), you dismissed me as wrong because your experience tells you otherwise. That may be your experience, but I stand by that statement is true. My kids have been encouraged to read by movies on several occasions.

It's too bad you don't expose your students to books that are made into movies. A lot of very good books are movies. My kids have read a lot of stories they've loved that they knew of because they were movies. Holes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, White Fang, The Incredible Journey and more I can't think of off the top of my head. All books we own (or have owned) as well as own the DVD. My kids had a list to choose from for summer reading this year. One chose Divergent the other chose The Maze Runner. Both books are series and they've asked for the next ones. Why? Because they liked the stories and they want to keep seeing what happens next.

Oh and both are movies in production and they can't wait til they come out so they can watch it too. It doesn't have to be either or if you let it......It can be both.

Movies are more often than not, just for fun. My kid's may have their interest sparked sometimes by a movie, but they also often like the book as much or better. In fact my husband and sons just saw Sea of Monsters this past weekend. My son complained the whole movie that it did not follow the book.

Parent your kids and the rest will follow........

regards

I agree with the poster above me. My dd15 has been watching under the dome since it started and has now asked for the book. She's not the type to always have a book on the go but the books she have read are mostly from movies and tv shows. Twilight , hunger games , Percy Jackson , Harry potter....

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

TV isn't the problem, in their rooms or otherwise. It's the good, solid, time invested parenting has gone on from the time the child is small. I have been teaching my children about good choices, morals, values and the concept of family first since before they could speak. Therefore, they are more than capable of handling most situations with ease and care...including making their own television choices.

It's is absolutely okay that my child has time on their own to do as they please. My dd for example is an honor roll student, has marching band which keeps her active and at school until 7pm, dinner with the family with long conversations, homework, showering etc each night. If she wants to veg out and watch mindless TV for an hour and relax...please do!

We put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into good parenting. During the teenage years I think it's important for them to also learn independence and that they are capable of making their own good decisions. These children will be young adults in college in just a blink of an eye. If you can't even trust your teen to handle watching television and making good choices about amount of time and appropriate shows, you have a much larger problem on your hands than a TV in their rooms.

TV isn't the problem, in their rooms or otherwise. It's the good, solid, time invested parenting has gone on from the time the child is small. I have been teaching my children about good choices, morals, values and the concept of family first since before they could speak. Therefore, they are more than capable of handling most situations with ease and care...including making their own television choices.

It's is absolutely okay that my child has time on their own to do as they please. My dd for example is an honor roll student, has marching band which keeps her active and at school until 7pm, dinner with the family with long conversations, homework, showering etc each night. If she wants to veg out and watch mindless TV for an hour and relax...please do!

We put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into good parenting. During the teenage years I think it's important for them to also learn independence and that they are capable of making their own good decisions. These children will be young adults in college in just a blink of an eye. If you can't even trust your teen to handle watching television and making good choices about amount of time and appropriate shows, you have a much larger problem on your hands than a TV in their rooms.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. My thought exactly. I think I even posted pretty much the same thing. Kids need chill out time. AFter practice lst night and 3 hours of homework, she chilled. I have NO problem with that. I guess she could have gone in her room and been creative or read a book, but then again, HECK NO. She just finished 3 hours of mind blowing homework.

I also don't allow TV to do my job as a parent. I teach values, the TV has no place for that.

mhsjax said:
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. My thought exactly. I think I even posted pretty much the same thing. Kids need chill out time. AFter practice lst night and 3 hours of homework, she chilled. I have NO problem with that. I guess she could have gone in her room and been creative or read a book, but then again, HECK NO. She just finished 3 hours of mind blowing homework.

I also don't allow TV to do my job as a parent. I teach values, the TV has no place for that.

Wow, why are you so invested in being "right" about this decision? Could it be you're slightly insecure about your choice?

"Good, solid parenting" can take many forms and include many different choices. At my house, that includes no tvs in the bedrooms. That's a choice my husband and I made together for, what we believe, is our children's good and the good of the family. The reasons why a tv in the bedroom are not a good idea were more compelling to us than our kids reasons for wanting one.

Our kids need to veg out just as much as the next kid. My oldest daughter has swim team, marching band and advanced classes. She does spend time in her room alone. Drawing to her IS relaxing! She also reads magazines and messes around with her iPad, messaging friends, etc.

If she, or my other kids, want to watch tv, they're welcome to watch one of the two we have in common areas.

Despite what you seem to think, there are many other ways of relaxing than watching tv. My 14 year old takes walks in the woods when her stress level goes up. For her, that's more cathartic. If she watches too much television she gets grumpy.

I take pride in making my parenting choices carefully. It's hard. I sometimes question a choice after I've made it. The tv in the bedroom or not decision was not one of those for me, but I don't judge others' parents decisions for their families.

Wow, why are you so invested in being "right" about this decision? Could it be you're slightly insecure about your choice?

"Good, solid parenting" can take many forms and include many different choices. At my house, that includes no tvs in the bedrooms. That's a choice my husband and I made together for, what we believe, is our children's good and the good of the family. The reasons why a tv in the bedroom are not a good idea were more compelling to us than our kids reasons for wanting one.

Our kids need to veg out just as much as the next kid. My oldest daughter has swim team, marching band and advanced classes. She does spend time in her room alone. Drawing to her IS relaxing! She also reads magazines and messes around with her iPad, messaging friends, etc.

If she, or my other kids, want to watch tv, they're welcome to watch one of the two we have in common areas.

Despite what you seem to think, there are many other ways of relaxing than watching tv. My 14 year old takes walks in the woods when her stress level goes up. For her, that's more cathartic. If she watches too much television she gets grumpy.

I take pride in making my parenting choices carefully. It's hard. I sometimes question a choice after I've made it. The tv in the bedroom or not decision was not one of those for me, but I don't judge others' parents decisions for their families.

I am not invested in being "right" Not everyone parents the same way. BUt I am very invested in my response to the poster who says that certain things are false. She stated this as if it were 100% true, It may be true in her experience but not mine. And no one will tell me that my experience is wrong. I have also stated that I didn't think every parent had to put a TV in their child's rooms, but on the flip side those who are against it seem to think that a child watching TV in their room is wasting time or being lazy, there is nothing wrong with going into their room to relax if that is what they want. She said that #4 was just plain false, no question what so ever. Well sorry but that is wrong. There are shows on TV that have made my DD want to read the series and she has discovered that books do include greater detail. so yes I am very invested in speaking my mind on that. No one will tell me that what influences my child in a good or bad way is 100% false. I will argue this until my point is made. YOu can't claim 100% false on a statement, you don't know how every child operates.

If your child likes to draw or paint that is fine, but like you, I feel that those of you who don't allow TV in their child's room are judging those of us who do. How many comments have we seen about don'g something "constructive" in their rooms, or TV promotes not reading, or the kids disassociate with the family, or it is a major distraction? so yep there are some kids who don't have a problem with TV in their rooms, I respect their need to get away from us and chill, and for 2 of my kids this includes TV. If it doesn't for yours then that is fine.

I don't buy it. There are plenty of kids who had good, involved parents who have issues - and plenty of kids with parents who don't care that are successful. Good involved parents is certainly a variable, but like with anything, they don't get all the credit or deserve all the blame - neither does TV or the internet, or books, or genetics, or their peer group or anything else out there. I know, its frustrating to hear this - we want to think that if we do it right, its a guarantee of "good kids," but that isn't the case. And its a blessing to give up on that notion, because it means you don't need to take all the blame when your teenager gets busted at a party where there has been drinking.

What I have learned is that kids really go through a change as teenagers - even good kids of good involved parents - its normal and involves separating themselves from their parents. In my experience, a TV in the room has given then a lazy way to separate out, an excuse to not be involved. It has advantages - in front of the TV they aren't at a party drinking, but they aren't necessarily making productive use of their time either.

I'd encourage that anyone considering a TV in the room first sit down with all the adults involved (all including any steps or grandparents heavily involved) for agreement BEFORE broaching the subject with the kids - this is what we didn't do, my husband made a deal I wasn't involved in. The adults determine if the TV exists at all and the terms of usage.

Then, when the adults are in agreement, communicate with the kids.

Hold to any rules - if the TV is off at 9, its off at 9. If there are only x hours of TV in the house per day, then its going to be harder to monitor that with TVs in rooms, but monitor it. If you get veto power on shows, you get veto power. Or no rated R movies. If there are no rules, and your perfectly good teen suddenly starts watching inappropriate horror at 1am, because her new friend who is so cool has talked her into watching a movie "together while texting", you are coming at that problem from a position of weakness.

My daughter LOVES the TV, spends too much time watching it, but tends to watch "smart shows" - so its less annoying. She is also an avid reader and a natural learner - she isn't letting the TV limit her. For my son, the TV is the idiot box, he turns it on to turn off his brain - so he needs to be much more limited in what choices he gets to make and how much time is TV time. They are simply different children - little difference in how they were raised, but they are very different people (as a disclaimer, my daughter is our bio child and our son was adopted as a baby - so they are possibly more different than biological siblings right out of the gate - she inherited her parents intellectual curiosity, he seems to have almost none innate - but on the other hand, he is musical and athletic and the rest of the family has none of those gifts).

In my experience, a TV in the room has given then a lazy way to separate out, an excuse to not be involved. It has advantages - in front of the TV they aren't at a party drinking, but they aren't necessarily making productive use of their time either.
I'd encourage that anyone considering a TV in the room first sit down with all the adults involved The adults determine if the TV exists at all and the terms of usage.

Oh wow- this is so right!:thumbsup2 In spite of all the other opinions here as to whether kids need one or not, I think this is first and foremost the truth. I don't like hearing parents say" I need to get away from my kids!" And I also cringe when kids say it too,on a daily basis,by escaping to their separate tv rooms. Chillout time? we all need some.... but nonstop,daily ,close the door and watch a screen by yourself time? It just feels so.....lonely.:confused3 When did we get to this place in society that we need separate rooms,tvs, doors....and without it all we'd just "get overwhelmed" with just being with each other,sharing the radio/tv on a daily basis? What are we all doing right now that we have such a difficult time just being in the same room sharing lives? I ask this in all sincerity.....:confused3

Oh wow- this is so right!:thumbsup2 In spite of all the other opinions here as to whether kids need one or not, I think this is first and foremost the truth. I don't like hearing parents say" I need to get away from my kids!" And I also cringe when kids say it too,on a daily basis,by escaping to their separate tv rooms. Chillout time? we all need some.... but nonstop,daily ,close the door and watch a screen by yourself time? It just feels so.....lonely.:confused3 When did we get to this place in society that we need separate rooms,tvs, doors....and without it all we'd just "get overwhelmed" with just being with each other,sharing the radio/tv on a daily basis? What are we all doing right now that we have such a difficult time just being in the same room sharing lives? I ask this in all sincerity.....:confused3

Why" Why don't you think it is ok to hear I need to get away form my kids for a while. I think that is normal. I think anyone that doesn't want a break is over involved and need to let their kids separate.

Also just because you may allow a TV in your child bedroom doesn't mean that they are "chilling out" non stop. Over exaggerate much? Example, in my world. DD goes to school, we pick her up and 3 days a week she has 30 minutes at home before gong to a 2 hour cheer practice, which I stay and watch oh and we talk about the day all the way there and back, so one hour of pure uninterrupted talking. She then comes home eats with me while watching TV in the family room, showers and then does homework for probably 2 hours on average, then she does go to her room to chill and do what she wants, maybe TV or maybe texting a friend or listening to music. This is also something that she tends to do at night only. Not on weekends, she is out and about.

In all sincerity I am answering. I don't believe that you have to be together every moment that they are out of school. We are very close and do spend quite a bit of time together. My kids would actually like spending time with us, but they don't feel like they have to. They are teens and as a normal process they are separating to some extent. I think this is a good thing, and maybe we are talking about different ages here.

It isn't something that we are just getting to. I am 50 and my friends all went to their rooms and closed the door, it is what teens do. We don't have to be in the same room all the time. For you it may seem lonely, but for a lot of us, to be around people all the time is nerve racking. You don't want to be around me if I don't have my down time.

When did we need separate rooms and doors??? :confused3 No idea when that started, but without them, DD would have been an only child. :laughing: We are the closest, happiest, loving family anyone could ever meet. We finish each others' sentences on a regular basis. We have 7 TVs in our home, and dont regret it in the slightest. There are times when DH and I want to watch something that the kids can't watch. If DD wants to watch PotC and DS wants to watch Power Rangers during that time, I have no problem with them going upstairs to their rooms to do so. Our favorite night of the week is Thursday, because it is "WIPEOUT Cookie Night". I bake chocolate chip cookies and we all pile on the sofa and have cookies and milk while we watch WIPEOUT. You don't have to be in the same room holding hands and singing Kumbaya 24/7 to have the perfect family. You do what works for you and if someone has a problem with it, they can take a long walk off a short pier.

:confused: So just because someone allows their child to have a tv in their room means parents can't stand to be around them?? You are really grasping at straws to make your point.

What happens when these children have to make a life decision and can't seem to do that because you have spent every moment either with them or making decisions for them. If you can't allow a child to be responsible about a tv and programing that they watch, then there is a serious problem with the trust and responsiblity of the child.
So when did we as parents become so insecure with our parenting that we have to micro-manage and spend every waking hour in their footsteps?? Kids will make decisions AND will make a ton of mistakes along the way. As a parent I am here to instill values, and encourage correct decision making. But they will grow up and make their own decisions and I would hope that by the time they have to make the life altering ones that they have the mind set to do so. I believe that if I can't let my teen decide what program and how much is appropriate (they know very well my feelings on what is acceptable as we have TALKED about them) then how in the world are they ever going to be able to make the 'big' decisions.

I have a friend who has a 17yo and they would never leave the child at home alone and always did EVERYTHING as a family, right down to going grocery shopping. Now the child is so insecure about staying at home alone that they can't leave him without him being scared. Seperation is not about a parent not wanting to be with the child but about learning a value of being able to be alone and making a simple decision on how to act/what to do when there is no one else around.

My kids are almost adults now and even though they have had a tv in their rooms since childhood they still lead active, responsible lives. DD is at disney right now in the college program, living in housing, with a shared tv, and she is just fine. No ramifications from the years of abuse I put her through by letting her decide when/how much tv to watch. When she gets home she will continue with her job at the local library where she has been employed for the last year.

So sure you don't want a tv in the room if a child cannot be trusted to keep it off when they need to and not watch programs you find inappropriate but that is a parent/child issue not the tv's fault. They can get in the same kind of trouble with a computer/laptop/ipad as they can with a tv. I have seen kids spend HOURS on their devices watching youtube and such. How is that any different than a tv??

When did we need separate rooms and doors??? :confused3 No idea when that started, but without them, DD would have been an only child. :laughing: We are the closest, happiest, loving family anyone could ever meet. We finish each others' sentences on a regular basis. We have 7 TVs in our home, and dont regret it in the slightest. There are times when DH and I want to watch something that the kids can't watch. If DD wants to watch PotC and DS wants to watch Power Rangers during that time, I have no problem with them going upstairs to their rooms to do so. Our favorite night of the week is Thursday, because it is "WIPEOUT Cookie Night". I bake chocolate chip cookies and we all pile on the sofa and have cookies and milk while we watch WIPEOUT. You don't have to be in the same room holding hands and singing Kumbaya 24/7 to have the perfect family. You do what works for you and if someone has a problem with it, they can take a long walk off a short pier.

If your photo is current, your kids are very young. Teenagers DO need to separate from their parents, its a normal part of them growing up and gaining independence and developing their own interests. To me, a TV is sort of a lazy way for them to do it, but has advantages - like its in your house - so its sort of minimal separation (as opposed to having them leave the house on Saturday morning with "I'm going to Nick's!" and no idea what they really do at Nick's.) But, as I said, it doesn't tend to be terribly productive (unless they are watching Nova specials, like my daughter does). Its passive, not active. I much prefer to hear the guitar coming out of my son's room than the TV. Or have him shoot baskets. I don't play the guitar, and I don't shoot baskets - those are his interests and developing them is part of what will make him a different person than me.

ETA: As I read this thread, I think there is a real difference between parents with teens and parents with younger kids. If your kids are younger, and you are considering putting a TV in their room, think about what that might mean when they are teens. Keep in mind that TVs aren't just TVs any longer, its easy to get an internet connection now and find a whole world of things you might not approve of your teens seeing. Set the rules up so they grow into those teen years - they'll move past the Power Rangers and into wanting to watch Breaking Bad, and that may be something you want to make sure you are watching with them - or at least know they are watching.

OMG we all love to watch Wipeout together. that is the funniest show, we have a great time.

If your photo is current, your kids are very young. Teenagers DO need to separate from their parents, its a normal part of them growing up and gaining independence and developing their own interests. To me, a TV is sort of a lazy way for them to do it, but has advantages - like its in your house - so its sort of minimal separation (as opposed to having them leave the house on Saturday morning with "I'm going to Nick's!" and no idea what they really do at Nick's.) But, as I said, it doesn't tend to be terribly productive (unless they are watching Nova specials, like my daughter does). Its passive, not active. I much prefer to hear the guitar coming out of my son's room than the TV. Or have him shoot baskets. I don't play the guitar, and I don't shoot baskets - those are his interests and developing them is part of what will make him a different person than me.

DD is 10 and DS is 8. :goodvibes

I am not the poster you quoted, but I have to ask, why does it have to be "active" entertainment all the time. Why does everything have to be productive. It is fine if your kids want to be productive all the time, but most kids need down lazy time and as long as they don't abuse it there is nothing wrong with it. I mean by your standards you are completely being lazy, passive and non productive by being here on the Dis.

Then again my kids chill at night, and I would kill anyone making a bouncing basketball noise or playing guitar at the time my kids have gone to their rooms to chill, at that point during the night I want QUIET and so do they.

I aslo agree with you edit that it may be a HUGE difference in the ages of children. My youngest is 12.5 Oldest if 16.5 I am not worried about them watching what they aren't supposed to, I am in and out of their rooms too much and my youngest leaves his door open. My DD will be watching Pretty Little Liars over and over and over and over, well you get the point. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter